Author Topic: REVIEWS: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World  (Read 14954 times)

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
it's really not that difficult to understand, and is far easier to understand than the original.  When it comes to capturing monsters and the "elemental grid" that everyone has such difficulty with... if the entire grid is a single element, you can try and capture a monster after battle.  That's not difficult to understand...

And for unison attacks, if that monster/characters element is present on the grid in the corner, they will contribute to the attack.  It may seem difficult at first, but it really is extremely simple.

THE JACKEL
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
it's really not that difficult to understand, and is far easier to understand than the original.  When it comes to capturing monsters and the "elemental grid" that everyone has such difficulty with... if the entire grid is a single element, you can try and capture a monster after battle.  That's not difficult to understand...

And for unison attacks, if that monster/characters element is present on the grid in the corner, they will contribute to the attack.  It may seem difficult at first, but it really is extremely simple.

THE JACKEL

Must not be too easy to understand considering the game averages scores around this.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
LOL game reviewers suck.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
LOL game reviewers suck.

Especially that Windy guy. ;)

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

THE JACKEL

Must not be too easy to understand considering the game averages scores around this.

except I explained everything you need to know about that elemental grid to play the game in my post.  That's all there is to it.  All one element, capture monster.  Characters element on grid, participates in unison attack.

If people have a hard time understanding that if you use a water element move, a water symbol appears on the grid, fire move, fire symbol, etc... well that's just... yeah...

THE JACKEL
Original series are the greatest, ie. the ones that started on NES:<BR>Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman, Mario, Zelda...and more!!!!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »

THE JACKEL

except I explained everything you need to know about that elemental grid to play the game in my post.  That's all there is to it.  All one element, capture monster.  Characters element on grid, participates in unison attack.

If people have a hard time understanding that if you use a water element move, a water symbol appears on the grid, fire move, fire symbol, etc... well that's just... yeah...

THE JACKEL

I guess that depends how significant that aspect is to the game in regards to whether someone enjoys the game or not. From what I've read the game just comes accross as low budget and lacks polish.

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
well the game was low budget actually....
and not the original development team either.

THE JACKEL

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
While I haven't played the game I know I would knock it quite hard if it took this "deep" of an understanding of the game mechanics to enjoy it. If a game doesn't grab my attention after 10 hrs or so, then too bad for it.

I don't blame you.  The JRPG audience is dominated by casual grandma gamers, as the majority of non-casual Tales fans are shown to be Wii owners.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »
While I haven't played the game I know I would knock it quite hard if it took this "deep" of an understanding of the game mechanics to enjoy it. If a game doesn't grab my attention after 10 hrs or so, then too bad for it.

I don't blame you.  The JRPG audience is dominated by casual grandma gamers, as the majority of non-casual Tales fans are shown to be Wii owners.

Windy a Grandma gamer. Confirmed!

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 02:03:56 PM »

THE JACKEL

THE JACKEL

Actually, it's not quite that simple.  What element you make the entire grid makes capturing monsters of the same element easier.  Also, you can use one of your monsters in the current battle to try to strengthen your chances or properly pacting.  Problem is, I've found that even using monsters of the same element as the one I'm trying to capture doesn't work all that often (it doesn't help that the game doesn't tell you what element the potentially captured monster is).  I usually just try to pact with just the grid instead.  Also, you don't get moves that allow you freely change the elemental grid quickly till a fair bit into the game.  Until then, it's a real crap-shoot whether or not you'll get a random grid that'll allow you to capture monsters.  Also, you generally never really know if the captured monster is even useful till you've done a fair bit of grinding.  You can eventually grind any monster up to insane levels, but if their innate moves suck and they look lame (which most of the monsters do) I never feel compelled to do so.  By virtue of being monsters, your captured comrades don't really add any personalty to battle (unlike their human counterparts, who can do more than grunt or make that annoying high-pitched whine), so I'd rather not use the monsters at all.  I only use them at all because the non-Emil, non-Marta human characters can't level-up or change equipment.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »
Scimming over this thread here's the vibe I'm getting.

If you're a huge Tales fan then you're going to buy this game anyway regardless of the reviews it's getting.  So go buy it and enjoy it (or at least convince yourself you do) and call it a day.  There's nothing to be accomplished by getting overly defensive of it.  Windy isn't the only reviewer to give it a low score.  It may just be a game that will seem brilliant to some and meh to everyone else.

Fire Pro Wrestling doesn't always that great of scores but I think the series is absolutely brilliant.  I bought a PS2 just for Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and I don't regret the purchase at all.  IGN and Gamespot both gave it a 7.  I give it a 10.  But I understand that most gamers aren't going to like it.  It's a niche game that has an audience and specifically caters to that audience.  Everyone else doesn't get it and that's fine.  Tales is very much the same way.  It's not as big as other RPG series but it has it's group of dedicated fans.  If the dedicated fans like it then does it matter if others don't?

Offline LJKKJLCM9

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »
Actually, it's not quite that simple.  What element you make the entire grid makes capturing monsters of the same element easier.  Also, you can use one of your monsters in the current battle to try to strengthen your chances or properly pacting.  Problem is, I've found that even using monsters of the same element as the one I'm trying to capture doesn't work all that often (it doesn't help that the game doesn't tell you what element the potentially captured monster is).  I usually just try to pact with just the grid instead.  Also, you don't get moves that allow you freely change the elemental grid quickly till a fair bit into the game.  Until then, it's a real crap-shoot whether or not you'll get a random grid that'll allow you to capture monsters. 

Also, you generally never really know if the captured monster is even useful till you've done a fair bit of grinding.  You can eventually grind any monster up to insane levels, but if their innate moves suck and they look lame (which most of the monsters do) I never feel compelled to do so.  By virtue of being monsters, your captured comrades don't really add any personalty to battle (unlike their human counterparts, who can do more than grunt or make that annoying high-pitched whine), so I'd rather not use the monsters at all.  I only use them at all because the non-Emil, non-Marta human characters can't level-up or change equipment.

For the first part of your post... as soon as you reach the second town you can buy a grimoire to teach any monster first aid, and undoubtedly, marta knows first aid at that point.  That's three characters per battle starting at the second town, that can all use a water element, making the elemental grid water easily.  At the beginning of the game, you have like 80% chances of capturing the first evolution monster, regardless of using the right element or having a monster help form the pact.  It's not difficult at all to capture monsters at the beginning of the game.

As for not knowing if a monster is good or not... any monster can be just as good as the humans you don't put into the party.  Yes generally some are better, but it's not that hard to figure out.  A dragon will be a great damage dealer.  A ghost will be a good spell caster.  In fact, capture a Were Dragon, and it's evolutions are the fastest growing P atk in the game, and catch a ghost, and you have the best A Atk monster in the game.  Now there are tons of monsters in the middle, but it's not THAT difficult to figure out.  It's mostly common sense.  Something like a turtle will have great defense, a wolf will be fast, a bear will be slow but strong... etc.

Now as for what monsters are good... it actually turns out the two you're forced to capture... an Imp and a Wolf, can be two of the better monsters in the game.  An imp never evolves, but gets some great skills and artes that make it an awesome spell caster when given spells from grimoires.  While a wolf can be one of the fastest and stronger physical attackers in the game.  Most people overlook the imp, but most players actually love the wolf evolutions.  So even if you don't want to capture anything, using the two starting monsters the entire game will give you some good allies.

And just to add, you never need to actually level monsters.  In fact don't use them at all, they're completely optional.  They add a lot of customization to the game, but they're not necessary at all.  Level 50 is a perfectly adequate level to beat the game at, so having all the ToS 1 guys capped at 50 isn't bad.  If you choose not to use something that a game gives you, it's not the developers fault.  And don't complain about monsters being difficult. 

If anyone who played the first ToS could stand the T---S system, where you have to see if a move is good and choose to keep it or not, try the other one etc.  Or the Exsphere system where you have to commit to using an exsphere on someone before being sure it'll give good combinations... I don't see how they can complain about this monster system.

I find the major issue is people expected another great Tales of Symphonia, with the original characters being central to the story.  They're usable for the fans, and the name Tales of Symphonia is purely on this game to sell it.  The game could've easily been a standalone game, no need for the original cast, or even the same world.  They did it purely for the fans to have some throwback, but intended it to be it's own seperate game, where they wanted you to focus on Emil, Marta, and the monster system.  But you don't HAVE to.

THE JACKEL
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:53:10 PM by LJKKJLCM9 »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Another nerd wars has started. Time to run away before we start debating who is the best roguelike player.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
Another nerd wars has started. Time to run away before we start debating who is the best roguelike player.

LOL
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 04:03:24 AM »
If you're a huge Tales fan then you're going to buy this game anyway regardless of the reviews it's getting.  So go buy it and enjoy it (or at least convince yourself you do) and call it a day.  There's nothing to be accomplished by getting overly defensive of it.  Windy isn't the only reviewer to give it a low score.  It may just be a game that will seem brilliant to some and meh to everyone else.

Sounds like a conflict of the play styles to me. Windy wanted an easy but epic story driven game (what Malstrom calls hardcore), Pro wants to simply optimize his skill levels and whatnot (what RPGers call a Munchkin). I think a focus on munchkinning in an RPG isn't too strange, SRPGs tend to be about that (especially ones like Disgaea). I wonder what a Disgaea review from Windy would've looked like?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 04:59:53 AM »
Why must nerds have terms for everything! We trekkies have nerd terms and they seem to spread everywhere.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
Why must you nerds import your vocabulary into the discussion!  at least KDR was nice enough to provide definitions!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.