Author Topic: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.  (Read 44686 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »
it IS a platformer with RPG elements...

What do RPG elements mean in a Mario platformer? Do more damage with your fireballs the more goombas you stomp? Sounds more like zoomed battles to me and that's exactly what I don't want to see again.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:50 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
What do RPG elements mean in a Mario platformer? Do more damage with your fireballs the more goombas you stomp? Sounds more like zoomed battles to me and that's exactly what I don't want to see again.

Just watch the video:

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/827/827016/vids_1.html

I can't see how anyone would be displeased with it. The ability to play as Peach and Bowser makes this an instant purchase for me too.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:52 AM »
"Well, he grew annoyed of the timed button presses in Mario and Luigi, which is basically the same type of combat used in all of the Mario RPGs, Super Mario RPG being the first to implement it."

I grew tired of Mario and Luigi and I LOVE Super Mario RPG.  SMRPG is a "desert island" kind of game for me.  M&L plays like a damn rhythm game.  If you don't get all the button presses right you're f*cked.  In SMRPG it's much less important.  Hell you could probably beat the game without getting any timed hits.  The battle system is not nearly as annoying.  The game also has a much better story than any of the other Mario RPGs since they're pretty much all "TEH PRINCESS IS KIDNAPPED!"  Though that storyline is initially used in SMRPG but it's a swerve, see and the real story takes off early on and it has twists and turns and isn't just "go to X number of areas to collect magical crap that will stop the bad guy somehow".  Super Mario RPG is the ultimate RPG to suggest to anyone who doesn't like RPGs or doesn't like the current Mario RPGs.  In comparison Paper Mario is more like Toilet Paper Mario, m i rite?

I'm glad to see Super Paper Mario getting released so soon (it will fill gaps nicely) though I'm disappointed to hear about gesture based controls AKA forced remote usage.  If controller usage has to be forced then that controller is really just a novelty that like a light gun or a dance pad works for some games but isn't useful as a universal controller.  It would be best for Nintendo to stay away from gesture based games because all it does is make the remote look like a marketing tool to sell repackaged Gamecubes.  Make the game actually use the remote in a logical way OR give the game normal controls, which with the nunchuk attached is reasonably possible with efficient button assignment.

Though I suppose like Twilight Princess this is a Cube game being shoehorned into the remote so for now we can forgive gesture based junk.  But games developed from the ground up for the Wii shouldn't have to resort to it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »
Being in Europe pretty much guarantees this game will be delayed somewhat - even it's as little as a week - which makes me certain we will be seeing a "must-at-least-rent title" every month for the rest of 2007.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2007, 06:49:06 AM »

Ian Sane wrote:
Though that storyline is initially used in SMRPG but it's a swerve, see and the real story takes off early on and it has twists and turns and isn't just "go to X number of areas to collect magical crap that will stop the bad guy somehow".

I haven't played Superstar Saga in years so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the plot of the game about Cackletta stealing Princess Peach's voice to rule the world somehow? I recall a Peach robot somewhere in there too.

I liked the gameplay of Superstar Saga. Turn-based RPGs have gotten boring.

In any case, I have very high hopes for Super Paper Mario.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
Also on Intelligent Systems, they had BETTER implement pointer control of Fire Emblem.
They have.  Check out the second scan here.  I don't read Japanese, but it looks like there's support for the remote, classic controller and the GCN controller.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
"I haven't played Superstar Saga in years so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the plot of the game about Cackletta stealing Princess Peach's voice to rule the world somehow? I recall a Peach robot somewhere in there too."

You're right.  Eh, similar idea.  Steal the Princess, steal her voice.  Whatever.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
And take a look at these wonderful low-res videos to see how they blend 2D and 3D.. kind of reminds me of Sonic Rush.

The GoNintendo article mentions noticeably better graphics than when this was a GameCube title. I wonder how much better the Wii can really make a game like this look. My guess is that they improve some 3D effects and maybe smoothed some edges out off the 2D objects.
Honestly.. games like this and Super Monkey Ball look nearly perfect as they are - technical improvements wouldn't help much. Art style wins out again.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
I wanted to comment on something before I went on and finished reading.

People want games that only use the Wiimote and then when it does people complain.  I think that using it NES style is the best thing for this game because it was obviously heralding that sort of nostalgia and lets face it from what I've seen the other buttons would be a waste... (Now this is coming from the guy who found he prefers to play ALL his VC games using the analog stick even when they were designed for the D-Pad)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Well, he grew annoyed of the timed button presses in Mario and Luigi, which is basically the same type of combat used in all of the Mario RPGs, Super Mario RPG being the first to implement it."

I grew tired of Mario and Luigi and I LOVE Super Mario RPG.  SMRPG is a "desert island" kind of game for me.  M&L plays like a damn rhythm game.  If you don't get all the button presses right you're f*cked.  In SMRPG it's much less important.  Hell you could probably beat the game without getting any timed hits.  The battle system is not nearly as annoying.  The game also has a much better story than any of the other Mario RPGs since they're pretty much all "TEH PRINCESS IS KIDNAPPED!"  Though that storyline is initially used in SMRPG but it's a swerve, see and the real story takes off early on and it has twists and turns and isn't just "go to X number of areas to collect magical crap that will stop the bad guy somehow".  Super Mario RPG is the ultimate RPG to suggest to anyone who doesn't like RPGs or doesn't like the current Mario RPGs.  In comparison Paper Mario is more like Toilet Paper Mario, m i rite?

I'm glad to see Super Paper Mario getting released so soon (it will fill gaps nicely) though I'm disappointed to hear about gesture based controls AKA forced remote usage.  If controller usage has to be forced then that controller is really just a novelty that like a light gun or a dance pad works for some games but isn't useful as a universal controller.  It would be best for Nintendo to stay away from gesture based games because all it does is make the remote look like a marketing tool to sell repackaged Gamecubes.  Make the game actually use the remote in a logical way OR give the game normal controls, which with the nunchuk attached is reasonably possible with efficient button assignment.

Though I suppose like Twilight Princess this is a Cube game being shoehorned into the remote so for now we can forgive gesture based junk.  But games developed from the ground up for the Wii shouldn't have to resort to it.

I totally agree with this. QFT. To this day SMRPG is the best in the Mario RPG series, mainly because the story was excellent and brought some depth into the Mario universe. The biggest thing about it is that it made Bowser into a like-able character, at least for me. Up until Mario RPG Bowser was basically a cardboard videogame villain, he would show up, torment you then you get to beat him. SMRPG, on the other hand, gave him a personality and a story. Having him being a party member also helped greatly.

The humor was great and even the new characters were brimming with personality.

Paper Mario was a cute game, but it simply didn't do it for me. I never got to finish the first Mario and Luigi, but I did buy the second one and thought it was cute and funny, but still didn't hold a candle to SMRPG.

On the topic of Super Paper Mario after ranting/bitching about New Super Mario Bros.'s lack of newness and innovation, SPM could be the platforming Mario game I'm looking for as it already looks like it provides some new ideas and gaming conventions, tacked on Wii controls be damned.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
Squaresoft made SMRPG.  
That is why the story is more then "the princess is kidnapped".

The gameplay above all else shows Nintendo influence on later titles.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
And holding the remote sideways doesn't make it  "OMGAWESOME", it really doesn't :P.

Okay, maybe it doesn't make it OMGAWESOME, but hopefully the game will be that good regardless of control scheme. However, have you played Paper Mario: TTYD, or more specifically, the Bowser segments? 2D platforming. Doesn't feel right at all on Cube's controller. Holding the Wiimote on its side is a better fit for this kind of game, period. The original SMB proves that to be true.  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »
I find the stick ok for TTYD, it feels different, but no better or worst. But if its a game thats going to use the remote capabilities, the standard way of using the remote should be preferable imo.

It would actually be fine with me if they just drop any remote implementation and leave it pure old 2D, like NSMB.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
They have.  Check out the second scan here.  I don't read Japanese, but it looks like there's support for the remote, classic controller and the GCN controller.

Oh thank God, last I heard it wasn't implemented.  Well, okay I guess I can trust them to add "waggle" to Super Paper Mario.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2007, 10:36:13 AM »
Yay!  I can survive the next two months knowing this will come.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2007, 02:50:31 AM »
I don't get why that needs RPG elements.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2007, 03:21:13 AM »
Awww darn. I was hoping that you'd physically turn the Wiimote sideways to go into sidescrolling, or frontways to go into corridor-scrolling...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2007, 04:30:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Awww darn. I was hoping that you'd physically turn the Wiimote sideways to go into sidescrolling, or frontways to go into corridor-scrolling...

That actually sounds...logical.  As long as whichever mode is for the horizontally-held position didn't require the pointer, of course.  I'd like to try a game like that, and Super Paper Mario's perspective shift seems like it really could've worked that way (regardless of its GameCube roots).  And it should've.  Kairon's smarter than Nintendo.  Maybe?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:28 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Originally posted by: Kairon

That actually sounds...logical.  As long as whichever mode is for the horizontally-held position didn't require the pointer, of course.  I'd like to try a game like that, and Super Paper Mario's perspective shift seems like it really could've worked that way (regardless of its GameCube roots).  And it should've.  Kairon's smarter than Nintendo.  Maybe?

Hire me! HIRE ME! PLEEEEZE!

Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
3rd Semester Game and Simulation Programming Major at Devry Fremont
Look for me at GDC at the Devry booth! *crosses fingers he can go*

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2007, 05:00:44 AM »
A problem with that would be that Mario is going from the left to the right and you want that former right to face into the screen after rotation which means turning the Wiimote counterclockwise. If the dpad was on the left at the start of that maneuver it's at the front at the end of it. I don't think 1 for dash/shoot and 2 for jump would be doable in that configuration.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2007, 05:14:46 AM »
Yeah, you'd be turning the wiimote clockwise while the world rotates counter clockwise, but I'm of the opinion that people could handle that.

Also, the game would become a corridor runner in front-scrolling mode, where you'd lift to controller up to jump, A to do an action, B to run forward (B and tilt controller vertical to turn around 180 degress to corridor "back"/u-turn), rotate left or right to "point" at the direction you want Mario to run in (left or right basically) and maybe a little waggle for that extra sumtin' sumtin'.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 07:00:44 PM »
Bumped.

The game ships on April 9th, only 55 days away.  

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
Kick Ass!

Hey, someone has to take over for UncleBob in his absence..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »
I don't know why, but lots of sites failed to mention the awesome press release for this game.

Nintendo of America Requests the Pleasure of Your Company at the Marriage of

Peach
to
Bowser

on the 9th Day of April 2007

The nuptials will take place at the beginning of Super Paper Mario(TM), which will be available for Nintendo’s hot new Wii(TM) home video game system. Those who wish to attend — or thwart — the ceremony will need to switch between 2-D and 3-D.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 06:49:27 AM »
But my birthday is April 7th!

Fine, I'll ask for "enough money to buy a Wii game" and then pick up Super Paper Mario as my brithday present a couple days later.