Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3148357 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #7050 on: March 12, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
Hey remember a while back when I said Black Ops would become the best selling game ever?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7051 on: March 12, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
It's also only when you combine all 5 versions of the game, no individual version would actually get the record.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: March 12, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
And why would that matter?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7053 on: March 12, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »
For one, the DS version is a completely different game. Second, even the other versions are slightly different. So it is only the best selling game (and only then in the US, no chance it will ever get the world record) if you combine the sales. If you want to get technical, packed in games should be counted and that would mean that a few games would still be ahead of COD:BO.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
Packed in games should count maybe as 1/3 to 1/2 of an actual sale. A lot of people bought an Xbox 360 that had zero intention on ever buying Lego Batman. Also, Black Ops for DS has old like 200,000 copies, making up 1.4% of all of those sales you're talking about, or in other words, it really doesn't count.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »
If they're going to combine every platform a game is released on, then they should count every release of Super Mario Brothers, which would probably put it on top.

For the FPS genre to have a future outside of the top tier of COD, Halo, and the like, it needs to move away from the current model of everyone trying to do what those games do to smaller, more specialized games that aren't designed with the target and budget of selling millions.
I want to see more run and gun shooters like Doom and Quake. Doom is still the best single-player FPS I've played, I won't even touch Call of Duty's single player because of how lame it is.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »
If they're going to combine every platform a game is released on, then they should count every release of Super Mario Brothers, which would probably put it on top.

Good point.  If you take the sales from the NES, SNES, Game Cube, Wii, Virtual Console, GBC and GBA releases of Super Mario Bros., what's that add up to?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: March 12, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
I want to see more run and gun shooters like Doom and Quake. Doom is still the best single-player FPS I've played, I won't even touch Call of Duty's single player because of how lame it is.

You would probably like Bulletstorm, then, which goes back to that simple almost run & gun mentality.  Plus, the way that the game slowly dolls out new weapons, upgrades, and their associated skill shots constantly pushes the player to change how they play the game.  It's an incredibly stupid game, but it's just a lot of fun.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »
Every version of Super Mario Bros the same way shouldn't count the same like it does with multi-platform games today. First, they weren't released at the same time, and second, the SNES, GBC, and GBA versions are different from the original. I can see counting the virtual console (and eReader...and possibly the GameBoy Color) versions in with the original sales, but not the SNES, etc versions.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7059 on: March 12, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »
Actually, the GBA version was a straight port of the NES version (like all of the games in the Classic NES Series). You also count the DS version of COD, despite that being different.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: March 13, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
Every version of Super Mario Bros the same way shouldn't count the same like it does with multi-platform games today. First, they weren't released at the same time, and second, the SNES, GBC, and GBA versions are different from the original. I can see counting the virtual console (and eReader...and possibly the GameBoy Color) versions in with the original sales, but not the SNES, etc versions.

There was no e-Reader version of SMB.  The GBC version is pretty different.  The GBA and GCN versions are the only straight-up re-releases... though I'm not sure how you'd count the GCN release.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
There was no e-Reader version of SMB.  The GBC version is pretty different.  The GBA and GCN versions are the only straight-up re-releases... though I'm not sure how you'd count the GCN release.

When was Super Mario Bros. released on the GameCube?   :confused;   I don't remember that one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: March 13, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
Well, I'm sorta cheating by counting the GCN version... :D

Bottom row, second from the left. :D

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: March 13, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »

You would probably like Bulletstorm, then, which goes back to that simple almost run & gun mentality.  Plus, the way that the game slowly dolls out new weapons, upgrades, and their associated skill shots constantly pushes the player to change how they play the game.  It's an incredibly stupid game, but it's just a lot of fun.

It gets a little too bogged down in setpieces at times. I'm not sure it's really more stupid than any other FPS, the story seems to be written as something dead serious (outside of your character acting out his inner child while controlling that mecha godzilla thing).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
I just assumed SMB was released on the eReader, guess it wasn't. I still have one of those stupid things in my garage, got any need for another one (I assume you have several), UncleBob? I've got the cable, the unit, Donkey Kong Jr, Manhole, an Animal Crossing gift, and Machamp, Machoke, and Machop from Pokemon. Needless to say...I only bought 1 package of eReader cards, I just got the thing to play NES games from Animal Crossing.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7065 on: March 14, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
Every version of Super Mario Bros the same way shouldn't count the same like it does with multi-platform games today. First, they weren't released at the same time, and second, the SNES, GBC, and GBA versions are different from the original.
It could be argued that the Wii, DS, and PC versions of Call of Duty Black Ops are different from the XBox 360 and PS3 versions since they have different graphics and features. So if the altered versions of SMB don't count, then the altered versions of Call of Duty shouldn't count either. I don't see how release date is relevant. If it's because people might have bought the re-releases even though they own the original, I'm sure some people bought Call of Duty on more than one system too.

However, the SNES, GC, and Wii Retail release are a part of a compilation, so perhaps they shouldn't count. So that leaves the GBC, GBA, and Wii VC versions to add to the original's total.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7066 on: March 14, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »
There was a 20 year span between the original release and the Virtual Console release of SMB. I think that is enough to count them separately. Release date is very relevant, and I'm sure some people bought Black Ops for more than one console...but not many, and not nearly as many people that bought Super Mario Bros, then bought Super Mario All Stars or Super Mario Advance, etc.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7067 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
They are the exact same game, what difference does it make how long the time between releases is? Take box office revues for example, you combine the Star Wars releases together when you talk about how much the movie made (i.e. you say Episode IV made $460.98 million. You don't say it made $307.2 million its first run, $15.4 million its second, and $138.2 million its third).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: March 14, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
All right, let's pick this back up in 20 years and see how the sales stack up then.

I'm not trying to discredit the sales of the game, because it's definitely sold a crazy amount in such short time. But I think it's a little ridiculous to combine the sales of all versions, especially when some are different from others, and compare that to single-platform releases. I take the same issue when they combine Pokémon versions.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7069 on: March 14, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »
Exactly. I can maybe understand combining Nintendogs since all the dogs are on every version, the only difference is which ones you start out with.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
I don't think box office totals should count when movies are re-released either, but that's a completely different type of situation.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
They are the exact same game, what difference does it make how long the time between releases is?

If they are indeed the same exact game then Nintendo is ripping people off by forcing them to buy the same game over and over.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7072 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
I was referring to the NES and VC versions since Brandogg wanted to count them as separate.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:29 PM »
Hmm, that's weird, since I said in my first post that the VC versions *should* count along with the original NES releases, but then I mentioned the release dates as justification for why they are not.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: March 16, 2011, 12:34:39 AM »
They are the exact same game, what difference does it make how long the time between releases is?

If they are indeed the same exact game then Nintendo is ripping people off by forcing them to buy the same game over and over.
Forcing?