Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3131019 times)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
Nintendo got in trouble with the US government with its N64 launch they did just that hold onto some units and create a false shortage and suddenly a week later there were plenty of units.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Klapaucius

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:55 PM »
Yah you have to remember Europe and Japan.. I think they will make it to 4 mill

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 02:34:05 AM »
I'm guessing Wii will fall somewhere around 3.5 million for the year - Nintendo will hold some units for replacements and the like (but they may be able to turn around and resell some of those "broken" units pretty quickly, who knows?)
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 04:14:16 AM »
edit:posted this in the wrong thread

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 07:37:40 AM »
Whoo!  Go one million mark!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline RyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Whoo!  Go one million mark!

Yah, it seems to be more correct. But it STILL does slowly increase. Anyone know why? I doubt people update this 24/7.
Wii Games: Super Monkey Ball, Red Steel, Legend of Zelda, Ultimate Alliance, GT Pro Series, Trauma Center

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 04:14:52 PM »
They estimate. They take a look at the sales data and the company, if they're having production problems, etc... then guest a certain number of units sold per min. Then the computer just automatically adds X number of units a min. With the Wii system launch, i'm sure they just added 400,000 in by hand and maybe then doubled the number of units/min added.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2006, 12:58:38 AM »
I bet you Sony probably expected the Wii to flop right out the gate and their PS3 would have the highest numbers, running circles around Nintendo, even with Sony's supply not equalling demand.

Poor Sony!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2006, 04:47:38 AM »

Nintendo's Wii Game Console Sells Out On 1st Day

OSAKA (Nikkei)--Nintendo Co. (7974) rolled out its new video game console, the Wii, in Japan on Saturday, prompting thousands of enthusiasts to line up for hours in front of electronics stores across the nation before they opened. Nearly 400,000 machines were sold the first day, with many locations running out of stock by around noon.

Source:<requires login-in>

It is now official, Nintendo Wii is the #1 selling New/Next-gen console in Japan, this is a title that I am sure Nintendo will enjoy for the entire month of Dec. at the very least*. But more realistically, Wii will conmtinue to be #1 throughout 2007 if demand stays this healthy and PS3 supply remains low.

*(this title was previously held by Xbox360 throughout most of 2006 as it was the only next gen systemin Japan until the recently released PS3 which failed to outsell the 360 due to supply problems)  

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2006, 11:27:08 AM »
I think it's safe to say Nintendo has retaken the Japanese home console market.  In Japan the winning console has always dominated over it's competition.  And right now the Wii has already outsold the PS3 by 4X the amount, and has Zelda and Wario Ware which are both very popular.  And in two weeks they'll be releasing Pokemon: Battle Revolution which will definatly be riding on the success that Diamond/Pearl have had.  Plus in early 2007, Dragon Quest Swords, Fire Emblem and Mario Party 8 are scheduled to come out.  All three titles are popular and should bring in great sales as well.

Even if Sony starts getting more shipments in they have no games that are going to make Japanese gamers go out in droves to buy it, while the Wii will have 6 titles that are very popular and plenty of third party games that should do well to.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
Safe? Yes, every 5 year battle was decided in a few weeks.

It's a healthy start by virtue of competent supply, but I won't be drawing any conclusions for at least a year.  
"wow."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »
So, what's the Life-To-Date numbers for the 360 in Japan?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »
The question comes down to when the Wii sales start to slow down. If they start to slow in Dec, then that's a bad sign.

Ideally, there should still be demand for the console through early January.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 12:08:25 PM »
From the official DS sales thread, xbox360 life-to-date in Japan is 174,016 for the week of Nov. 20th - 26th.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006, 12:25:59 PM »
So... Wii has sold 10 times as many units in, like 1/100th of the time then?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
Safe? Yes, every 5 year battle was decided in a few weeks.

It's a healthy start by virtue of competent supply, but I won't be drawing any conclusions for at least a year.

Well the DS vs PSP battle was pretty much decided in a few weeks in Japan.  Even though there was those several weeks in early 2005 where the PSP was outselling the DS by a little bit, the DS gained such a huge lead in December of 2004 that those weeks meant nothing.  And then when Nintendogs was released in April the DS took off and the battle was over.

Isn't there a Brain Training game that's supposed to come out sometime next year in Japan as well.  I think if they were to release one within the first half it'd have the same results that Nintendogs did in pretty much sealing the deal.

Unless Square-Enix would suddenly come out and announce Dragon Quest IX is going to be released on the PS3 sometime next year, I think Japan will be pretty safe for Nintendo.  Of course America and Europe are going to be were the real battle lies so I'm not making any predictions about those two places until after seeing the sales for all the console after holiday 2007, which will be the deciding factor on which console wins worldwide.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2006, 12:41:53 PM »

So... Wii has sold 10 times as many units in, like 1/100th of the time then?

< 200K/year vs. 400K/day. I guess that'd makes it over twice as much in about 1/365th of the time, no? Maybe closer to 350. But that's not much of a surprise.
"wow."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
If Nintendo some how slipped in a second day replenishment shipment of 40-60k more Wii's, its possible that the Wii could outsell the PS3 and the 360 combined in next weeks sales charts. I can't wait to see how this plays out on tuesday or wednesday.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2006, 01:10:20 PM »
I wonder which game sold more in Japan, Zelda or Wario Ware.  Or will this be like Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware Touched where they're both selling the same amount after launch.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 02:59:51 AM »
I think part of the reason why Wii is such a success in Japan is because the Japanese gamers have finally figured out that NO GUNDAM GAME HAS EVER BEEN ANY GOOD!!!  For some reason the Japanese populace loves crappy Gundam games and I thought that alone would sell tons of PS3s.  Then again, I could be wrong. We'll have to see how both systems are doing in 6m when they are both readily available in stores.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude Unless Square-Enix would suddenly come out and announce Dragon Quest IX is going to be released on the PS3 sometime next year, I think Japan will be pretty safe for Nintendo.  Of course America and Europe are going to be were the real battle lies so I'm not making any predictions about those two places until after seeing the sales for all the console after holiday 2007, which will be the deciding factor on which console wins worldwide.

Square's comment about "We're supporting all consoles." is their way of saying, "Sony, we're breaking up the act."

The Wii has already won this generation, hands the f*ck down.

Know how we know this?

1. Mass-market appeal: the NY Times is oozing over it, Steven Colbert played it on his show and it's already generating the kind of buzz in sectors that no console has ever cracked.

2. The Japanese are eating it up: they ate up the DS because they love newfangled stuff like this. They LOVE IT! Japanese PS3s were selling at retail price WITH two games on ebay less than a week after the launch. If the PS3 can't even produce enough units to establish a userbase, then Nintendo is the DEFAULT choice for Japanese developers.

3. Money TALKS: the Wii is ultra-cheap and and ultra-cheap to develop for. Because it's so cheap, people buy more games with it, resulting in higher 3rd party revenue. Because it's so cheap to develop for, devs can make more profit off of selling fewer games, meaning the console isn't a GAMBLE to develop for and that we're likely to see new and better franchises popping up, plus they know that the console is cheap enough that people will consider picking up multiple games with it and not just Zelda. It's a win-win for gamers and devs alike.

4. What's their competition? A shoddy Japanese company spiraling into oblivion (which was delayed for their console, ironically) and an American software monopoly who caters so hard to a specific type of gamer that it's like an exclusive club and it's also hated in Japan where in a year it's only sold 170,000 consoles, the DSLite selling more in a week than the 360 has in a year. How are either of these going to stop Nintendo with the steam it already has built?

Like I've been saying since E3: Game. Set. Match. Nintendo.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 03:42:52 AM »
I think the reason Wii is selling well, is people are searching for something different.

Gamers have been playing the same games in the same methods for years, and I don't think they want traditional games to disappear, but they do want to try something different.  The Wii opens up new realms of possibilities for gaming.

Everyone else is just amazed by this bizzarre new product.  It has been everyone, and people are being told it is THE next big thing.  And look at it.  Wii Sports has seriously captivated the entire media.  Wii Sports and Excite Truck may not be the most polished games, but they are perfect Wii games, that literally challenge everyones concept of gaming.  

The question is how long will this honeymoon with the media last?  And does that matter?  After the holiday season, Nintendo will be releasing games to hype up gamers, and to give those non gamers something to excite their purchase as well.

Nintendo just needs to keep big audience attracting games coming out for the entire first year to be a success...and it looks like Nintendo will be doing just that.  

Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Brain Training, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, Mario Party, Pokemon

All these games have the ability to draw new audiences to the Wii, and different audiences as well.

Holiday season 2007, I think it would be important for Nintendo to release another Wii Sports game or sequel.

Be it Wii Motor Sports, or a direct Wii Sports Sequel with fleshed out game modes for Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, Golf, Boxing...and add new Sports experiences to the package as well.  

Finally, a Wii update enhancing the Mii experience would be a huge boon for sales as well, specially if it came around the time that a few new games are released that use the Miis within the game.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 03:49:12 AM »
Yep that's why I enjoy the Wii.  Something new and different.  That's why I always thought it would do well.  

Alot of folks dismiss WiiSports as only for non-gamers, but it's exactly the sort of game this gamer wanted.  It's something fresh and new and fun.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 04:50:21 AM »
Before the Wii, I was just about ready to give up on gaming for good.

The DS is nice and all, but a handheld can only ever do so much to entertain me when I'm not traveling.