Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 697746 times)

Offline jarob

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PSP outsells DS for the first time (EDIT)
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2005, 04:35:20 PM »
Why cant they sell in South Korea?

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
RE: PSP outsells DS for the first time (EDIT)
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2005, 04:41:50 PM »
South Korea is very protective of its industries, especially from Japanese competitors. The PS2 was only released there because Sony convinced a judge that it is as much a personal computer as it is a gaming console. I'm pretty sure this applies to handheld systems as well. The Wonderswan is a Korean-developed device.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2005, 03:59:36 AM »
How well did the Sega game gear sell during its lifetime?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2005, 04:17:51 AM »
It sold 1,780,000 in Japan and a total of 8,650,000 worldwide.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2005, 06:33:21 AM »
How did its launch go?

Offline Mr. Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Noble~Feather
You know, sales of Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green downright PROVED Pokemon still sells. They were friggin remakes, and they sold through the roof.

If they were mere remakes, and PKMN D&P are entirely new games that are said to change the series, I imagine they will garner Godly sales.

Also, Sony is losing a heap of money with this PSP stuff. And they've chosen possibly the worst release date for it. If PSP doesn't garner enough sales, Sony might actually be forced to discontinue, because of all the money they are losing.

I think Nintendo could win this battle, but not outright dominate it like other battles, which isn't necesarilly a bad thing.

And I think Nintendo could quite possibly be the leader next gen as well.

Noble~Feather, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but what makes you think Nintendo could be the market leader next gen anyways?  I mean after all Nintendo continues to lose market share every generation, so what makes you think Revolution will turn things around for Nintendo?

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

Noble~Feather, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but what makes you think Nintendo could be the market leader next gen anyways? I mean after all Nintendo continues to lose market share every generation, so what makes you think Revolution will turn things around for Nintendo?

Well that's kind of a stupid question.

I do know a few things about Revo that you don't, and I can only describe it like this:

NINTENDO invented the analogue stick. Then when they revealed it, SONY coppied the idea and released their console first, complete with the latest media format, while Nintendo released their console later [so keep in mind that THEIR idea was not very "new" anymore since PS already had it for quite some time] with an old media.

Now for the REVOLUTION:

Nintendo is releasing THEIR console before Sony this time, and this time they are NOT going to let anyone copy them, including Sony. They are also releasing with the latest media format, much like how SONY did with PS1&2.

The way Revo plays is as revolutionary as the analogue, and this time, Sony [or any other company for that matter] is not going to copy the new way to play.

This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2005, 10:37:31 PM »
Technically none of that is proven, it is all mere talk.  Just like the whole N21's "Home Game Function" which basically connects the world's N21's together ie XBOX LIVE.

Untill Nintendo releases a date, Sony can still match or even beat Nintendo.  Have we aslo forgotten the XBOX 2 which will be the first new next gen system.

XBOX 2 could take American audience away from Sony.  IMO i think it will fail, but it is possible seeing how much America loves its $eXBOX.

I don't mean to bad mouth Nintendo at all but next gen is going to be a make or break.  Nintendo has been in decline for too long, if Revolution/N5/N21 does worst than Gamecube I believe we will see Nintendo leave the console game industry.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2005, 03:52:24 AM »
First day sales people

gamescience

platform title publisher Jan. 27 sales shipment sold
1 PS2 Radiata Stories Square Enix 152,000 54%
2 PS2 Another Century's Episode Banpresto 130,000 83%
3 GC biohazard 4  Capcom 117,000 63%
4 PS2 Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 2 Atlus 39,000 44%
5 PS2 DEATH BY DEGREES Namco 24,000 44%
6 DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! Nintendo 23,000 18%
7 PS2 Memories Off After Rain Special ED Kid 9,500 75%
8 PS2 Shinki Gensou: Spectral Souls 2 Idea Factory 8,300 71%
9 PSP Soukyuu no Fafnaa Bandai 7,600 50%
10 PS2 Space Battleship Yamato: Ankoku Seidan Teikoku no Gyakushuu  Bandai 6,900 27%
11 PSP Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory Hudson 6,400 51%
12 PS2 Shinki Gensou: Spectral Souls 2 Special Edition Idea Factory 6,300 70%
13 GBA Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Shiroiei no Shoujo Marvelous 6,200 35%
14 PS2 Kawa no Nushi Tsuri: Wonderful Journey Marvelous 5,900 25%
15 PS2 PROJECT ALTERED BEAST Sega 4,200 22%
16 Xbox Outrun 2 Sega 3,700 54%

Well I see RE4 getting clost to that million mark WW

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »
Couchmonkey, you are needlessly worried about something which is really not to be worried about. Nintendo is not going to be doomed. And you should refrain from even saying that word! If any are doomed, is is Sony with their whole home entertainment strategy failing already. Here is what I noticed about your reply:

"The days of Nintendo riding on the success of Gameboy are over, and if Nintendo can't recover some of the home console market, my favourite game company may be...in the long, long run...doomed."

There will always be competition between the gamemakers, but there is no way that Nintendo will perish! First of all, the market is going to expand by NintendoĀ“s innovations in DS and Revolution. So that whole idea that there is only room for two on the market is ridiculous!  And when the initial wow-effect of the Sony PSP is over as compared to Nintendo DS which screen isnĀ“t nearly as cool as the one on NDS, people will be back at square one again seing that PSP is just more of the same, and therefore giving them exactly the problem that persists with the games on Ps2 and on xbox: boredom!

The games and fun in them coming out on NDS will outdo almost any PSP game in initial appeal to new gamers. A tall statement perhaps, but there is clearly already now evidence that the people who get to play the Nintendo DS at the Nintendo Roadshow events react extremely favourable to it because it is so easy to get to grips with and to thus instantly enjoy. Whereas the games on PSP have been seen a million times before, and have tired people to a point where they began to look away from games alltogether! That is the reason for the marketstagnation which Nintendo has so long been talking about and has righted as we speak with DS and the upcoming Revolution console! So it will only last a short time, before the sameness of those games shine through, leaving DS to show them the alternative!! I personally donĀ“t care if the PSP will sell a lot. The DS will sell more. Because it captures the hearth of gaming: secure gameplay fun! ItĀ“s basically all up to how well Nintendo executes their worldwide marketing for the DS! And judging by current media exposure, they are rocking and rolling!!

DonĀ“t believe me on what I say about DS? If not, hear what Iwata said himself about the new handheld (and how entirely new gamers reacted to it) in the most recent conference in Paris, Europe (this is a must-hear speech with one cool surprise effect, lasting around 12 minutes and free to view):

Iwata hammers home the DS succes    
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2005, 04:59:53 AM »
Third time:

24-30 Jan

PS2 : 53,800
NGC : 9,700
Xbox : 500
GBA : 400
GBA SP : 22,000
PSP : 71,000
NDS : 42,000

This is happening even though reports from people in Japan say there are Nintendo DS's everywhere and it's impossible to find a PSP. Biohazard 4 entered the charts at number 3 with 145,000 sold, and Catch! Flop! Yoshi! entered at number 5 with 52,000 sold. Not looking good.

EDIT: What is also interesting to note, is that while 71,000 people bought a PSP last week, only about 40,000 units of PSP software was sold that same week, which means people are buying PSP's without games. However over 100,000 of DS software was sold, with only 42,000 people buying a DS, which means people are buying 2 games, or their existing userbase is buying their second game. Hardware: Software tie ratio is starting to shift in favor of Nintendo DS.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2005, 05:18:55 AM »
on thing I dont get is how the psp sold out when the numbers are just 71000, wasnt sony shipping in batches of 100000 if I remember correctly?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2005, 05:19:01 AM »

This is happening even though reports from people in Japan say there are Nintendo DS's everywhere and it's impossible to find a PSP. Biohazard 4 entered the charts at number 3 with 145,000 sold, and Catch! Flop! Yoshi! entered at number 5 with 52,000 sold. Not looking good.

I disagree, the numbers are pointing to a continuous rate of sales for the DS, right around 40-50K, even after the initial rush has receded, with game sales remaining quite high.(heck Yoshi did better than the entire PSP lineup combined)

while the PSP is only selling well now due to the early lack of hardware, I expect this wave of PSP sales to last 2-5 weeks more before leveling off(not to mention the PSP has to sell like this for months in order to cover the ground the DS has on it).  In addition the lack of software sales indicates bad news for Sony in the long run as they hoped to make their money on software to cover the hardware loss.  The current numbers indicate the PSP will be used not for gaming but rather for a media device.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2005, 05:22:33 AM »
I just meant not looking good for the week.

but yeah, Yoshi should continue selling and possibly reach over 500,000 in it's lifetime, Nintendo games have longer legs than anything else in Japan, and Yoshi Gravitation on GBA only sold about 8,000 in it's first week and went on to sell over 200,000. Plus Mario and Wario keep selling and both of those could pass a million in Japan alone, which is very impressive.

Originally posted by: mantidor
on thing I dont get is how the psp sold out when the numbers are just 71000, wasnt sony shipping in batches of 100000 if I remember correctly?

Sony's online store sells the rest, they aren't counted in sales charts.  

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2005, 05:44:21 AM »
Yeah but I'm not really worried about week on week sales, because the current sales numbers represent two different hardware stages for the DS and PSP, DS is currently in the post-rush mode while PSP is in the rush mode.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2005, 12:06:41 PM »
Um... PSP just outsold DS for the 4th week in a row...

Just thought I'd let ya guys know...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2005, 12:34:01 PM »
Actually.. it'd be the 5th or 6th time in a row now. Nintendo DS sales are slowly decreasing while PSP sales are slowly increasing. At least Nintendo has three DS games in the top ten.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »
You know, Another Code is releasing in a few days... hopefully that will boost sales.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Actually.. it'd be the 5th or 6th time in a row now. Nintendo DS sales are slowly decreasing while PSP sales are slowly increasing. At least Nintendo has three DS games in the top ten.

what? the later numbers in the sales thread were 50000 for the psp, it lowered considerably, the DS sales were lower also but not as much
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »
Both are evening out a bit. Though if the DS would have some GAMES for goodness sake. Urgh, it's pathetic.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2005, 05:39:44 PM »
This week:
PlayStation Portable 52,000
Nintendo DS 30,000

Last week's numbers:
PlayStation Portable 51,000
Nintendo DS 35,000

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »
damn, now that I asked the same question in two different threads I feel like a spammer >_<! anyway as I said, the psp is no longer outsold everywhere, or is it?  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2005, 11:02:57 PM »
According to Media Create, Nintendo DS sales from launch, til now.

12/20-12/26  |  396,674
12/27- 1/02  |  209,522
1/03- 1/09  |  108,561
1/10- 1/16  |   53,527
1/17- 1/23  |   44,608
1/24- 1/30  |   43,226
1/31- 2/06  |   29,552
2/07- 2/13  |   26,205

I'm noticing a pattern here...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2005, 12:55:23 AM »
I have a feeling they're waiting for better games.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2005, 02:35:18 AM »

According to Media Create, Nintendo DS sales from launch, til now.

You forgot "most of December" and about a million DS units.

That's a picture of what hardware sales (for both the DS and the PSP) look like once the clock ticks past "Dec 25".
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi