Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537788 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6300 on: January 07, 2020, 03:33:45 AM »
Overlord - not exactly what I was expecting

I was looking forward to this one based on the previews, painting it as kinda DOOM in WWII, which ultimately is kinda sorta was, but then again, not really. It was a pretty intense WWII movie, starting off with troops getting deployed in the heat of the battle, with a mission to infiltrate enemy lines and take out air-support communications so more troops could get flown in for backup.

Well obviously **** hits the fan immediately, as it's WWII, but the DOOM portion comes much later.
Did I mention that Fitz, from FitzSimmons (AoS) was in this?
I was actually really into it up until the very end when people as usual do stupid stuff when they should already know better.
Mutated man was beating up the US Soldier, and the black guy, who has already demonstrated that you have to destroy the head to kill these bastards, decided to unload his rifle in the guys midsection, never once even aiming to shoot him in the head. White US soldier then comes to save Black US Soldier, sneaks up from behind and shoves a pole thru his mid section.... smfh. Why didn't you just shove it through the back of his head!!!? Oh, because that would've prematurely killed the end move fight. That was the moments that pulled me out of this one, but thankfully it was practically at the end of the movie already.
It was still a fun one up until that moment of stupidity. Properly setup for a sequel of some kind as well. We'll see, I don't remember if this did well enough at the box office for a follow up, but I might give it a watch at some point. I enjoyed this one enough to do that.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: January 20, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
Bad Boys For Life - So......... this was far better than i expected. Substantially better than the car crash the trailers suggested. Martin Lawrence clearly isn't in shape and didn't try to match Will Smith, so the movie works overtime to avoid him doing any physical combat or activity through the movie - but the movie doesnt acknowledge it either, despite the entire movie referring to how they've been doing this for 25 years
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:08:21 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: January 20, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »
I saw the poster and my first initial thought was Dayum Gina Martin... you got fat.

Maybe he'll whip himself back into shape for another sequel if that end up happening.
Not the type of work ethic that will get a paid part in a Marvel Studios movie, that's for sure.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: January 29, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »
Contagion is an old movie, but I'd never seen it and the content seems relevant given the current coronavirus situation.

Despite some goofs, it's a pretty decent movie. Some of the concerns it showcases around public panic and misinformation seem even more relevant today than a decade ago - especially given the ridiculous social media conspiracies that float around.
NNID: ejamer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: January 30, 2020, 04:12:22 AM »
It's a lot more dangerous now as rumours and disinformation require little to no effort. It's so much more virulent, persistent, much easier to weaponise by either state actors or snake oil salesman or trolls. We have repeatedly seen social media get weaponised causing real world damage. Anti Vaxxers are an example of this leading to a lot deaths that never should have happened at an increasing rate.

In the past a rumour would require it to be plausible sounding, maybe a method of broadcasting like TV or radio to gain wider traction which gave the authorities an edge on information. Which meant you needed to already have access to the network in the first place. On top of that it is much easier to impersonate the authorities or someone with a wider audience.

People increasingly don't read anything beyond the headline before hitting share. Their BS meter is under developed or isn't able to deal with the new environment.

People with a lot of followers tend not to do the due diligence before sharing nor feel responsibility or falsely believe they are doing good or don't do a retraction as that is considered "Embarrassing" thus lose followers. In many cases they double down or simply delete the tweet. Not helped the system is a loop based entirely on clicks.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: January 30, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »
Speaking of which, I found it oddly satisfying to see Gwyneth Paltrow be cast as patient zero in Contagion, given some of the ideas she actively promotes (and profits from) during the past few years. The fact that people literally buy into that BS is terrifying to me.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:32 PM »
Just saw Avatar for the first time. The blue tail people movie, not the air bender.

Wow. As an action-based, sci-fi summer blockbuster, it's decent enough... I guess.

The story was a disappointing mix of heavy-handed and laughable. For something that is supposed to be a modern classic, I was left disappointed at almost every turn. Character development was non-existent; why bother when you can boil everything down to basic tropes and a simple storyline? There were no surprises or clever moments, no emotional investment built up during the movie.

That said, the art and world design is mostly very appealing, despite CG not holding up well enough to be a selling point like it was on release. (I mean, it's good enough, and probably was impressive upon release. But it's a shame they seem to have valued presentation values over actual content.) Makes me wish they just animated the movie instead, and then spent the difference in budget on some better writers.

Look, I'm sure this sounds pretty grumpy; maybe I missed the point and should've just shut off my brain and enjoyed the visuals... but building such a lush and creative world and then failing to deliver a storyline that was equally rich feels like a missed opportunity. The have a beautiful setting that could handle all kinds of meaningful stories, and instead you get a trite plot that sounds like they forgot to move past the elevator pitch.

5/10 because I'm a curmudgeon

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: February 10, 2020, 11:10:24 PM »
did you watch it on a very large theater screen in 3d?

I did. It's not as good at home.  9/10 at theaters.   7/10 at home.

Avatar = Starship Troopers + Ferngully + Apocalypto +Last Samurai

9/10

well the first half of the movie is like 3d in your face everything, then it tones down the 3d, and then it kicks back up around the end with the action

it gave me googly eyes for 2 hours :P

That's probably half of why I hate going to theaters today. I worry about having to pee in the middle of the movie and also can it live up to Avatar the first time? probably not.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:19:59 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6308 on: February 11, 2020, 12:12:07 AM »
Avatar is a bad movie with great special effects.  There was only one way to watch it, and that time has passed.  It's probably pretty funny if you watch it for the lolz.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: February 11, 2020, 02:56:11 AM »
For all the release hype Avatar made no cultural impact because it is so hollow. I didn't see it in the cinema but it was clear I wasn't missing anything. That's the problem with CGI spectacles and increasingly so as we get more and more processing power. It's not impressive or exciting. It makes directors and writers lazy.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: February 11, 2020, 03:44:36 AM »
Birds of Prey: Go into this movie thinking "unreliable narrator". Thats the only expectation to set. Otherwise its a fun and goofy movie in its own right (its not Legends level of goofy however).

My only complaint was how literally everybody took the chemical plant blowing up to mean Harley and Joker broke up. That's one really big stretch to make. Also what did everyone else make of Black Mask and Zsasz's chemistry? It leaned into they're in some sort of relationship slightly.

EDIT: It's much too late now, and Joaquin Phoenix's Joker killed the opportunity of this happening, but they should have release Birds of Prey and a Leto Joker movie around the same time as each other (maybe a month apart?) to allow them to tell the story of their breakup, and what they did next, to be told in parallel. Harley goes off and runs into the Birds of Prey while Joker throws himself back into his work and tackles some people who thinks he's distracted by the breakup.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:11:48 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: February 11, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
Avatar is a bad movie with great special effects.  ...

When a movie goes fully CG like Avatar, I have a hard time viewing that as "special effects" instead of just considering it "animation". As movies move towards an all-digital world where anything the artists dream of can and does happen, then it's just the quality of art and how fluid animation is that really matters.

A contrast would be some of the Marvel movies, which use tons of CG to augment the action but also mix in real special effects. Having just watched Captain America: Winter Solider with my kids, there were a bunch of stunts and effects during action and chase scenes that left me impressed.

Probably just being too pedantic.

ThePerm and nickmitch are both right though: this was a "must watch in a big theater" experience. Anyone else who missed out in the moment should spend their time elsewhere now, as there really isn't much in the experience worth going back to.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:10:26 AM by ejamer »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6312 on: February 11, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »
I remember thinking the 3D was really good at the time as well.  So it wasn't just the animation, but I see your point.  The best parts of the movie are 100% CGI, and the people parts are usually the most bland.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: February 11, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
ThePerm and nickmitch are both right though: this was a "must watch in a big theater" experience. Anyone else who missed out in the moment should spend their time elsewhere now, as there really isn't much in the experience worth going back to.

That sums it up pretty accurately.  My first time watching Avator was when I visited my parents one weekend, my Mom rented the movie so I watched it on my parents TV, which at the time wasn't even HD yet.  So my first experience with the movie didn't even have the fancy visuals to back it up.  Now I thought it was still an ok film, but about as generic as you can get.  The storyline is completely one dimensional, and I literally predicted everything that would happen next as I watched the film.

It'll be interesting to see how the sequels perform since there was nothing in the movie that said, "yeah, we need four more of these films".
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: February 11, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
Weirdly, I think there would have been room for 4 films in the Avatar world if the whole idea of exploring the planet and actually developing characters had happened. But that's not what they did, and now I'm not sure that I want to go back for more...  They didn't really establish anything in the first movie that seems worth building on; they'd be better off starting fresh.

Of course, the person who greenlit the next set of films was most likely looking at the number of zeroes attached to Avatar, and not the actual quality of the story.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6315 on: February 12, 2020, 02:18:45 AM »
Eh, that should be one of the things they address with the sequels.

I'm up for Ferngully 2 boogaloo.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: February 12, 2020, 03:33:44 AM »
Captain America: Winter Solider is the only Marvel movie that rises above "Meh" because of the real stunts. The simple elevator fight puts all the other movies to shame.

For the other movies what stunts there are was plastered over so much they stop being stunts.

I am not sure there is anywhere to go with Avatar. Absent the humans coming back for more it's Blue Cats. If the humans come back it would just be a replay of the first as they wouldn't be a trade delegation. If they don't switch up the biome it would be hours of faux rituals no one cares about.

The above is why I think Cameron has taken so long to move on the sequels, he knows it's a dead end. Not helped that he has been spending a lot of time swimming with fishes blunting his skills and presence.

Imagine trying to make a sequel to Dances with Wolves or Last Samurai. That doesn't work. The story is actually complete.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: February 12, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »
... but what about if we did a trilogy of Avatar prequels? If the story can't go forward, then we can still look back. Surely people would pay to see that!

Did anyone here ever see Flight of the Navigator?  I can't remember what the movie is about but have vague memories watching it as a child. From IMDB: "In 1978, a boy travels 8 years into the future and has an adventure with an intelligent, wisecracking alien ship".

It's the next movie on my "to watch" list. With a descriptive blurb like that, what could go wrong?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6318 on: February 12, 2020, 11:32:37 AM »
It's been so long for Avatar that I'm stuck wondering who the hell even cares about it anymore?  It had it's moment back then, and they put out a themed area at Disney World, but why would anyone want a sequel?  Who is it even for?  Is the 3D going to be that much better?  Because, over the years since, so many films cheaply put 3D into their movies that I'm jaded on the experience.  I won't see a film in 3D unless I've research precisely how much and how good it is, and then it's a still a maybe.  I just don't think you can sell the film on what it was sold on before, and that's the only thing it had going for it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: February 12, 2020, 01:25:27 PM »
Did anyone here ever see Flight of the Navigator?  I can't remember what the movie is about but have vague memories watching it as a child. From IMDB: "In 1978, a boy travels 8 years into the future and has an adventure with an intelligent, wisecracking alien ship".

It's the next movie on my "to watch" list. With a descriptive blurb like that, what could go wrong?

I remember watching it as a kid and just remember it being a weird adventure film. Not awful and not amazing. I plan to rewatch it at some point. I don't remember the time travel stuff though. I think it was one of those films that probably helped popularize the myth that humans only use like 1-5% of their brain. As I THINK that the ship unlocked the boy's ability to use his entire brain. But I might be mixing up movies.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: February 12, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »
It's been so long for Avatar that I'm stuck wondering who the hell even cares about it anymore?  It had it's moment back then, and they put out a themed area at Disney World, but why would anyone want a sequel?  Who is it even for?  Is the 3D going to be that much better?  Because, over the years since, so many films cheaply put 3D into their movies that I'm jaded on the experience.  I won't see a film in 3D unless I've research precisely how much and how good it is, and then it's a still a maybe.  I just don't think you can sell the film on what it was sold on before, and that's the only thing it had going for it.

Hopefully since it's taken around 10 years to make the sequel it was time used to improve the 3D.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6321 on: February 12, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
But how much better will it be than what we've seen since?  Unless they have new technology, there's nothing to hook me in.

Maybe the Avatar sequels, instead of focusing on Pandora as everyone would expect, could focus on the human trying to find unobtainium on other planets.  That could be a hook.

Offline relicgear92

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: February 13, 2020, 02:27:28 AM »
Ready or Not: I didn't expect it to be so good. It was funny as hell and I can even relate to unwanted in-laws. I just can't shake the feeling the Samara Weaving looks like Margot Robbie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: February 13, 2020, 03:02:35 AM »
Jokingly:
Maybe Avatar 2 will be a court drama where the Cat people are trying to secure their legal rights.

Seriously:
Maybe they'll introduce another species to the mix and it could become a whole new thing.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6324 on: February 13, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »
Jokingly:
Maybe Avatar 2 will be a court drama where the Cat people are trying to secure their legal rights.

Picturing the cat people in suits and a courtroom that's entirely too small for them is giving me the lolz.