Author Topic: Music: Any metal fans here?  (Read 12599 times)

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Music: Any metal fans here?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
I hate the cover of Land of Confusion. Also hate on the cover of Careless Whisper. Probably showing my age there. Hell, when I was 16, Metallica was just starting to peak. Is Motely Crue metal? Whitesnake? Bullet Boys?? LOL Love me some Faster Pussycat too... I'd stick Queensryche and Faith No More in there as well since they're, you know, old.

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh, crappin' all over this new age new fangled metal music thread :D

Bustin, I sat around listening to Death  for a couple of hours yesterday. Death metal is only a couple of years older than metallica (we're talking 1981 vs. 1983) does that really make it new fangled?  ;)
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
I hate the cover of Land of Confusion. Also hate on the cover of Careless Whisper. Probably showing my age there. Hell, when I was 16, Metallica was just starting to peak. Is Motely Crue metal? Whitesnake? Bullet Boys?? LOL Love me some Faster Pussycat too... I'd stick Queensryche and Faith No More in there as well since they're, you know, old.

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh, crappin' all over this new age new fangled metal music thread :D

Which cover of Careless Whisper? I enjoy the Seether cover but I still think the original is best for that song.

It feels like there are too many 'cover songs' dominating the airwaves. While a few are nice and some I really like, it's starting to get annoying at the apparent lack of creativity in the music industry that requires every artist make a cover song to guarantee they get airplay.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »

Which cover of Careless Whisper? I enjoy the Seether cover but I still think the original is best for that song.

It feels like there are too many 'cover songs' dominating the airwaves. While a few are nice and some I really like, it's starting to get annoying at the apparent lack of creativity in the music industry that requires every artist make a cover song to guarantee they get airplay.

That is why you listen to the stuff that isn't on the radio!

So, how are Unleash the Archers and Eternal Tears of Sorrow working out for you? I saw you said that they were okay, but if you really like them I've got tons more where that came from.

I feel like we should start up a Metal club where we go through a new album every so often and discuss- it seems like we have enough variety in musical tastes here that we could all end up discovering some cool things. For instance, I am less familiar with older metal that isn't death style and I know very little about most popular metal here in the states.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:44:00 PM by greybrick »
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
Well I'm not gonna lie - I liked Disturbed when I was in high school, but that was a long time ago. I do find it enjoyable to play "Stricken" on Guitar Hero 3 though, and if their cover of "Land of Confusion" comes on, I'll listen to it. I can see where people get into stuff like that, but I'm not really into the whole "put your fists in the air" type of stuff. I was watching some concert on Palladia (I think) a while back, and it was funny because Disturbed was playing and David Draiman was like, "Get the **** up!" over and over, and the crowd just kept ignoring him and basically sat there impatiently until they got off the stage.

I used to like Godsmack when I was like 16 too, but then their second CD came out and I realized it was just the same song over and over. They say Alice in Chains is their biggest influence, but I can't see it in their music.

I loved Disturbed's first album and I really liked Godsmack's thid album, Faceless. I remember buying Godsmack's fourth album right after I graduated from high school and only listening to two songs and leaving the rest of the album alone. Thier fifth album, the Oracle, was slightly better, but not much.

Disturbed has been one of my favorit bands, but they have not really been able capture the creative sound of their first two albums. But none the less, they are still a good band in my eyes.

Korn, on the other hand, has been in steady decline since their sixth album, Take a Look in the Mirror. Korn is my favorite band, but it seems as if it is on its last leg. I mean they have already had two of their original band members quit the team and they have still not been able to recapture what made them stand out. Their latest album, Remember Who You Are, was a great title, but it was supposed to get back to their roots and it was kind of off. Some of the nand's early titles featured collaborations with other musicians like Fred Durst, Ice Cube, Nas, etc. They should have done more of this in the newest album and included more bag pipe playing from the lead singer.

Alice in Chians had remerged and is pretty awesome for being gone so long. Although it is not quite the same with out Layne Staley.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:17 AM »
Any Corrosion of Conformity fans here? I never really got into them but I recently looked them up after originally getting interested in them in the early 90s and they seem to have come a long way. What originally attracted me was their album art was done by Bill Sienkiewicz, an amazing comic book artist. Funny how tastes in one medium can lead to discoveries in other mediums.

I saw Alice in Chains live in Cleveland in 93. They were awesome. Its difficult to still call them Alice In Chains for me. Layne was so much of the group's personality.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 01:18:51 AM »
Any Corrosion of Conformity fans here?

I dunno if I'd call this metal, but maybe their other stuff is different?
Bless you, my child.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
I'm typically not a fan of "pure" metal.  I maintain that Astro-Creep: 2000 is the best metal album ever made.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vERRcV_eI

My head started bobbing, that is always a good sign. Kinda feels like a heavier Zeppelin to me, it has that bluesy feel to it at times.
Bless you, my child.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
I really like black metal, I listened to it when I was very young and for some reason left it behind me, now I'm catching up all the things I've missed. However bands like Emperor, Immortal or Satyricon still feel like my childhood music.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »
I really like black metal, I listened to it when I was very young and for some reason left it behind me, now I'm catching up all the things I've missed. However bands like Emperor, Immortal or Satyricon still feel like my childhood music.

That is so strange, just last night I bought At the Heart of Winter by Immortal and Storm of The Light's Bane by Dissection. I am really enjoying both!

Have you tried Forefather?
Bless you, my child.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
I used to like Godsmack when I was like 16 too, but then their second CD came out and I realized it was just the same song over and over. They say Alice in Chains is their biggest influence, but I can't see it in their music.

Nickleback has also stated Alice in Chains as a big influence and, like with Godsmack, I have absolutely NO IDEA what the hell part of Alice in Chains' sound they were listening to.  Was it just like the fact that they play guitars and have distortion?  Did these idiots have the equalization on their stereos all screwed up so they just heard a big wall of sludge?

Alice in Chains are amazing.  I can't stand Godsmack and I would rather have the flu then listen to a Nickleback song.  No band invokes an instant switch of the radio station out of me more than Nickleback.  I wonder what Alice in Chains thinks of these bands they influenced.  Being in a band myself I wonder what it would be like to make it big and be influencial.  If the bands I influenced were terrible it would royally piss me off - not just in that they utterly missed the whole point but also that by saying I influenced them there would be an association between the two acts that I would not have consented to.  Alice in Chains is associated with Godsmack and Nickleback.  Do they want to be?  Are they cool with that?  I sure wouldn't.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »

That is so strange, just last night I bought At the Heart of Winter by Immortal and Storm of The Light's Bane by Dissection. I am really enjoying both!

I'll have to check it out when I get back from work, youtube is blocked. But indeed At the Heart of Winter is an awesome album.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »

I'll have to check it out when I get back from work, youtube is blocked. But indeed At the Heart of Winter is an awesome album.

It was actually my first Immortal album, and I was thinking of getting Sons of Northern Darkness next- do you think that's a good choice?
Bless you, my child.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
Satyricon is awesome...White Zombie...Astro Creep 2000 is decent, and so is Super Sexy Swingin' Sounds, and of coure Thunder Kiss '69, but everything else they've done, and everything Rob Zombie has done since (musically)...is pure horseshit.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
What do you guys think of Korn and Slipknot?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »

I strongly dislike listening to both of them. Sorry Kytim! I really avoid mainstream American metal.
Bless you, my child.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
Boy, it gets pretty snooty in here :p

Just kidding. It funny to say mainstream metal when metal is nowhere near mainstream. Especially compared to the EMO crap spilling out of 'Alternative' radio stations.

I think Korn is fun to listen to. At least their earlier stuff. I totally agree with A.D.L.I.D.A.S. :D. And their cover of Word Up! is awesome, though I don't like Another Brick in the Wall. Shoots and Ladders breaks me out in a chant.

Mainstream metal can be pretty disappointing. If anyone is old enough to remember when the group Helmet hit with Meantime, it was supposed to be this new sound for metal, but I found it very difficult to listen to, and they pretty much faded into the background, though I think I have heard something by them recently. On the other hand, Tool's Undertow was very original and I think deserves the attention they received.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 02:19:08 AM »
KoRn and metal don't belong in the same sentence. Slipknot...I guess you could kind of say they're metal (though I still would consider them more like hard rock, especially their newer stuff), but still, they're horrible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »
Boy, it gets pretty snooty in here :p

I keep trying not to sound snooty, but I guess there is an inherent snootiness when you listen to this stuff.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »

I honestly think that any group of random slobs with no music training whatsoever could be given electric guitars and drums and could make music on par with either band.  Sorry, but I really hate both bands and neither of them have demonstrated to me to have any talent of playing, singing or songwriting.  Some of Korn's hits don't even sound like they're in key.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
I really avoid mainstream American metal.

Did we finally find our Evan-replacement?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
I really avoid mainstream American metal.

Did we finally find our Evan-replacement?

Evan? I am not familiar with him, but if that sounds like something he would say then it sounds like a guy I'd get along with   :P: :

...oh THAT Evan? Huh I wasn't aware of his musical tastes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:06:36 PM by greybrick »
Bless you, my child.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
It was actually my first Immortal album, and I was thinking of getting Sons of Northern Darkness next- do you think that's a good choice?

Northern Darkness is pretty great. But really all albums are awesome. I have to catch up with their discography too, I've listened all but I did it in a hurry.

I actually really liked the first allbum of Korn, but the rest was unbearable for my ears. I have not heard of Slipknot to form an opinion to be honest, I only know it's not popular among the snooty heh.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
...oh THAT Evan? Huh I wasn't aware of his musical tastes.

I don't think Evan listens to any music that wasn't part of the score for a Kubrick movie.

I just meant a snooty-staffer with obscure media tastes.  ;D