Author Topic: Medaverse Developer Diary: A Simple Challenge  (Read 25401 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Medaverse Developer Diary: A Simple Challenge
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
This is the discussion thread for NWR's exclusive Developer Diary feature with Medaverse Studios.

Read more...
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Medaverse Developer Diary: A Simple Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
Hope to read more about the process of making games. I have 500 points so I may download the game.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
Better not, Nintendo Life gave it a 2/10.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
I have the game, and I'm not sure my review would differ that much from Nintendo Life's.  That said, I have a ton of respect for any developer who's willing to give us a window inside development like Medaverse is doing.  A feature like this pretty much guarantees I'll buy their next game on faith alone.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »

I think while it had a couple of points right that review was pretty harsh. My review while won't be a high score it will be higher than a 2.0.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
The NintendoLife review brings up a point that I've made forcefully on RFN and often remind our writers during the editing process. Namely, a review should never be about the developer. Behind-the-scenes stores are fascinating, and I appreciate things like this developer diary as a window into what game development is really like. They can be inspiring to other would-be developers or just interesting to a game's fans (or detractors).

But when it comes to a review, the writer should always focus solely on the game itself, as it was released. The game has to stand on its own merits, regardless of the trials and tribulations leading up to its release, regardless of the inexperience or legendary exploits of its creators, and regardless of the pre-release hype or confusion. Reviewers need to review the games, not the people who make the games.

Quote from: NintendoLife
Plans change, things don't work out the way we expect them to, and release dates slip further and further away. It happens, and it's not infrequently to the benefit of the game. When additional development time is used to iron out bugs or to enhance gameplay, a delayed release is worth waiting for.

Blah, blah, blah. None of this has any bearing on the final game's artistic worth or appeal.

...precision doesn't seem to have been a concern to the developers...

That is baseless conjecture and an intentional, personal insult. Reviewers should never imply some piercing knowledge of what went right or wrong in development or how decisions were made.

We have no doubt that a great deal of effort was invested into this game, but it's difficult to figure out where that effort went. In the words of the developer: Medaverse Studios started as three guys who knew nothing about game development wanting to develop games. This statement should act as a stark reminder to all would-be WiiWare developers – the "great" idea in your head may not translate into a game that others would enjoy.

What does any of this have to do with reviewing the game? If you want to send such a direct message to the game's developers... send them a direct message! Don't veil your condescending, unwanted advice in the cloak of an all-points bulletin to "all would-be WiiWare developers". Don't refer to the developers at all in your review. They've done their work; now do yours and write about the damn game.

I'm not saying the review is wrong about Gravitronix; I haven't played the game myself. I might agree with every critical point in that article. All I'm saying is that the author should seriously reconsider why he is writing game reviews, and what they should be about, and what is truly appropriate. We all know that developers read reviews. Don't talk down to them. Don't pretend you know what they went through. Don't throw a party or funeral for them. Just review their game in a fair, honest, and critical manner.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »
That review reminds me of the whole Destructoid/Luc Bernard fiasco. Like Destructoid, Nintendo Life had a close tie to the developers, offering exclusive info, and even being the first to report on the game's existence. Then the review hit and BAM! Nothing but bashing the developer. The difference is that Luc Bernard decided to pick a fight (even though he had the right to defend himself), while Medaverse Studios just apologized for the game's quality and moved on. It's almost as if that's what Nintendo Life wanted; they wanted a flaming review that would attract a lot of attention, comments, and maybe show off a nasty side of Medaverse, but instead it backfired, and it made THEM look bad.

I agree with what Johnny said. It can be very easy for a review to forget that he/she is doing professional writing, and should write as a reviewer, not a fan. When I wrote the ColorZ review I was upset over how the game's single player mode has you controlling three spaceships using three control methods. It downright frustrated me. But I realized that I couldn't do a raging review because that goes against the site's review policy. I could have even used a line from an email we got about ColorZ. But again, decided to focus on the game itself.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »
The problem is that developers intentionally try to make people care for them and buy their games out of sympathy for the developer, not the actual game's merits. By now this is a recognized marketing strategy and it's why you see tons of blogs, developer diaries, etc on IGN and its ilk.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »
Yep, it's now called "interacting with your community".  Developers court fanboyism, hoping to engender loyalty and "sympathy" for their game.  This can backfire, too, because some developers get overexposed and people start hating them.

Game development is (typically) such a complex process nowadays, it's hard to blame any one person for one certain failing of a game.  Even the best design can be executed poorly.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »
The thing is, with small developers like Medaverse the one of the ways of promoting a game is via the gaming community. They certainly can't afford to create a mass marketing campaign so the only way to get the word out about a game is to interact with the community. But like its been explained already, it can serve as a double edged sword. So either the developer must handle it well or face ridicule in a similar manner to the Luc Bernard experience.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »
The developers/publishers should pursue any ethical marketing strategy they think will work. All I'm saying is that marketing strategies, including humanizing the development process, should not factor into a professional or semi-professional review.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »

Actually, that's the worst review out there right now. It's getting mostly 7s from other reviews (reviews that have some similar concerns but don't insult the developers personally).

Everyone seems to agree that the robot telling you to take a break every two rounds is the worst part of the game.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »
The only ones I see listed on MetaCritic are NintendoLife and GamePro who gave it a 5/10.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
That review reminds me of the whole Destructoid/Luc Bernard fiasco.

Speaking of which, what the Hell happened to the WiiWare release of Eternity's Child?  It's been out on PC for over a year.

Last I heard they were completely overhauling the game for WiiWare but that was a looooooooooooong time ago.  I hope it hasn't been canceled--I loved he art in the game and I'd really like to get it assuming it doesn't play like ass.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »
That review reminds me of the whole Destructoid/Luc Bernard fiasco.

Speaking of which, what the Hell happened to the WiiWare release of Eternity's Child?  It's been out on PC for over a year.

Last I heard they were completely overhauling the game for WiiWare but that was a looooooooooooong time ago.  I hope it hasn't been canceled--I loved he art in the game and I'd really like to get it assuming it doesn't play like ass.

Last I read, Luc was still around working on some projects. But yeah, mum's the word about Eternity's Child.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:18 AM »
Last I heard Luc doesn't even know what the dev in charge of the port is doing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »
So when is the next part going up Lindy?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 01:09:38 PM »
So when is the next part going up Lindy?

Hopefully sometime on Thursday or Friday.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
Or Wednesday!  BOO-YAH!!!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
Yes, the next chapter is already up, so go check it out. It's called "The Inception".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »
The third chapter came in a little late, but it's a good one. It's called "The Mistakes"

Read more...

This is a very important entry, especially if people want to pursue game development as a career.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »
I've read quite a bit about the focus testing for Gravitronix and how it lead the team to believe the game would be received better than it actually has been. Like any testing, focus testing is a complex process in which many factors can give you false results. I've never done focus testing for a video game, but as an engineer, I do know something about testing (in general) that may apply to focus testing as well. Here are some ideas to improve focus testing in the future:

- Test many different configurations. Not just "blue ocean" and "core" groups but single-player and multiplayer, 5-minute impressions versus long-term play (maybe over several days), etc.

- Be careful in how you collect feedback. Most people will send different signals in face-to-face interviews than on anonymous written forms. You may want to get a combination of both. And think carefully about the questions you ask and how they are phrased, so you don't lead participants into the answers you want.

- Observe people playing the game naturally. This means handing them a controller and walking away. Most potential customers don't have a developer standing there to give introductory comments, explain the themes of the game, or give instructions on how to play. You have to allow people to get confused, even frustrated, in order to see where improvements are needed.

- If at all possible, let game journalists, zealous fanboys, and other game developers play your game. These people are going to be the most critical. It's okay to get feedback from people who will be more critical than your target customers. If you can please the most pessimistic players, those with lower expectations will be even more pleased.

There are probably some good articles about focus testing games at Gamasutra and/or Game Developer magazine.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline JLowther

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Johnny.

All playtesters were given what I call the "American Idol" speech (all except one group who I wasn't there for, but was a group of brutally-honest fanboys anyway) in which I point out the poor saps who go on American Idol and get torn to shreds and how odd it is that this person didn't have a friend or family member step in to stop them from humiliating him/herself on national TV. We explained that they (the playtesters) were the equivalent of that friend who could save us from bad reviews and whatnot.

We tested by turning the game on and going to either sit down to take notes or sit in the corner and observe. We were doing this in the shared-space office conference room that we have so we didn't have many options when it came to how to perform the playtests. But we basically put the controllers in their hands and said "We can't answer your questions but shout them out anyway." and boy, did they ever.

We did the best we could to subtract ourselves from the equation and most of the playtesters took that to heart by swearing like sailors as if they were truly just alone with their friends. We got a great deal of valuable information from just observing the playtesters or noting their complaints. We added the cooldown to the repel beam based on the fact that one playtester figured out he could button mash and successfully defend his territory (we had talked about adding it already, but this cemented the fact that it would be a necessity). The team menu saw a good deal of enhancement based upon how confused people became when they tried to put more than 2 players into a quarter territory: we made a red X appear over the territory just to make it clearer and changed the tooltip to notify the players that there was a team with too many players in it so the game couldn't begin.

The one thing we didn't do was have extended playtests over a span of a few days, and that was largely because these people were here on a volunteer basis and were getting absolutely nothing in compensation for this service (except some pizza and soda we bought for some groups). In hindsight, we should've have groups come back in repeatedly, but this would be asking people to volunteer more of their time than most would probably want to. I'd love to have game journalists test our games in the future and maybe tradeshows will allow us to do just that (I don't see many journalists coming up to New Hampshire just to test a WiiWare game, heh).

For what it's worth, I think the game is fun, as did the majority of the playtesters and people we showed it to, and we've seen some reviews from other sites that gave it 7s and an 8. The only thing I can conclude is that it clicks with some people and they enjoy it while others don't, and all things considered, it's not surprising. We didn't expect for the game to appeal to everyone.

As far as I'm concerned, making a first game that clicks with anyone at ALL is a home run. ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:04:49 PM by JLowther »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
I am somewhat interested in the game Jessie. What can you tell me that would increase that interest?
Alexis, she/her/Miss