Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615207 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #975 on: June 16, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
On one hand I am glad they only showed one super familiar environment, because it leaves room for surprises. Only the other hand they only showed one super familiar environment. I love that I can actually see whats going on now in the game, I like brighter colors, but I really did expect it to wow me like Galaxy. I noticed in metriod the graphics were much better then what we saw last year, I hope this is true for Zelda when it releases.

I really expect some insane things to go on in this game, Link is going to fly no doubt about it and many nutty things will come with it. Just give us some major off the wall concepts and I think we will all be good.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:22 AM »
I watched the trailer again and it looks like your sword can shoot when you have full health like in the 2d games.  When the sword is glowing it shoots of a spinning disc of energy when he attacks.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »
Wow, the more screens I see the more I love the artsyle and I'm sure in the months to come it's just going to look better and better.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 16, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
Yea it looks great, can't wait when it comes out, looks like Link lives in the clouds and evil is on the land below. I wonder who the evil started from? Interesting!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 16, 2010, 05:32:54 AM »
I noticed in metriod the graphics were much better then what we saw last year, I hope this is true for Zelda when it releases.

This is the case with virtually all Nintendo games.  A good example was last year when NSMBW was first shown, the E3 trailer and demo looked considerable worse then the final game that came out only 5 months later.  It also happened several years ago with Metroid Prime 3.  The trailers and demo's at E3 2006 lacked a lot of the texture and lighting effects that would later appear in the final version.  Hell, even Twilight Princess had a huge graphical improvement from E3 2005 to E3 2006.  If you go back and watch the trailers from both years, you can see that they added a lot more detail to the character models as well as more detail to the environments as well.

So anyone that's worried about the graphics right now shouldn't be since history has shown us that the final game will look a lot better.  And for those that already love the graphics, your going to really love them when the final game comes out.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 16, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
I don't mind the graphics; I mainly just want the narrative structure, characters, or something changed in some way.   I loved Twilight Princess, and I'm generally a Zelda apologist, but even I have to admit that it hit too many of the same notes with OoT.   I think the sameness really hit me when I saw the frozen Zora lake; it was cool and eerie, but it was just an updated version of what we had already seen. 

Looks good, though.  I'm excited!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:49:33 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 16, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
If Nintendo assumes that the controls are going to revolutionize Zelda, they're barking up the wrong tree.  We might get some new cool items and the combat might be improved but if it's still 8 dungeons where you beat the boss with the item you got in the dungeon to collect the 8 thingies to defeat Gannon (or the enemy that is revealed to be Gannon) with the same lake and desert and forest in Hyrule, then it's nothing new really.  To truly do something new they have to bust out of the formula.  Don't be so rigid with the dungeons.  Magora's Mask was the best shakeup because it only had four dungeons and a whole bunch of dungeon-like areas.  In reality it was like you didn't know when you were in a dungeon or you weren't.  It wasn't such a strict formula.

I think something more like Metroid would be an ideal shakeup.  In Metroid it's like everything is one big dungeon.  Though in Metroid there aren't any real "safe" areas like villages and there are no NPCs.  Adding those to the Metroid design would be really cool.  So you're just doing your thing and sometimes you're in a area where there are dangers and sometimes there aren't.  Sometimes you stumble on a boss or an item.  See that is something actually new and different with Zelda.  I don't think Nintendo is approaching Zelda with that kind of out-of-the-box thinking.  I think they've just got "motion control" tunnel vision.  Hell the whole Wii is that kind of tunnel vision as they assumed that this new controller was the key to innovation in all their titles.  The problem is that gives motion control WAY too much credit and it gives Nintendo's own devs too little credit in assuming that this control scheme is necessary to innovate.

The approach is totally wrong.  It's the same approach that failed in Super Mario Sunshine (we just add this waterpack and we've revolutionized Mario!).  Ocarina of Time with Wii Sports Resort controls is just being to be Ocarina of Time with Wii Sports Resort controls.  These controls need to compliment something more substantial.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 16, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
I want to make something clear, what is in this demo isn't even a specific area in the real game is it? This was just a demo made in some forest to show of the controls? I just read Miyamoto said they just through something together for the demo.

From IGN

:03: In Zelda, is the HUD a work in progress, with the on-screen controller? It was designed and implemented for E3. Will it change? Yes. At E3 we're throwing a lot of things at you at once, and we made something for people to quickly understand. We've had HUD in past Zelda games, and you've always had the option to turn it off with a button.

7:06: Will Zelda have orchestral music and/or voice acting? We can't do what we did in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and not move forward and do the same thing in Zelda. We have people on staff looking forward to getting to work on that.

Never mind, after reading carefuly I see they were just talking about the HUD.

Can't wait for the music in this game. Everything we listened to so far was from a previous Zelda game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:34:59 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 16, 2010, 01:38:29 PM »
I'm on the fence about Skyward Swords after this E3 demo.  On the one hand, it's a visually pleasant game and it's more of the same Zelda gameplay we've enjoyed since Ocarina of Time.  On the other hand, it's the same Zelda gameplay we've enjoyed since Ocarina of Time despite Nintendo's earlier claims otherwise, and so far it doesn't sound like the rigid Zelda structure is being messed with much.  I just wonder by the time this game comes out if it won't have that "been there, done that" feeling to it.  They also really need to tighten that sword animation up a bit, because (especially when Miyamoto was just wandering around waving the sword) it looks kind of stiff and unnatural.  I'm hoping for the best, since Zelda is my favorite Nintendo franchise, but so far this game looks kind of disappointing.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 16, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »
Ian after playing Red Steel 2 the beat em up has been completely revitalized for me, it really does immerse you and let you enjoy the game more. I really do think controlling the game this way will add allot. I don't think it will be enough however. But knowing that Link is born in the sky gives me hope that we will see all kinds of unique and interesting things.

Broodwars, don't watch Miyamoto, it was all messed up. I was with a Nintendo rep yesterday and he took away all the doubt I had. The way he rolled bombs, cracked the whip, and swung the sword was very satisfying to my eyes. Going to try and play it on Thursday, but I have no worries about how it will play.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 17, 2010, 05:54:26 PM »
Not sure if its been posted but it terns out the game woulda been ready this year if Miyamoto didn't up-end the tea table again and made Aonuma and team rework the graphics..

Quote from:  From N-Europe
Zelda director Eiji Aonuma has revealed Skyward Sword would be out this year, but for its new graphical style!

when first teased last year, a promotional image for Zelda: Skyward Sword showed the same "realistic" graphical approach seen in previous Zelda title, Twilight Princess - and according to ONM, Skyward Sword was indeed being worked upon with a view to keeping this style.

However top Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto apparently up-ended the tea table once again by deciding a new graphical approach was best, hence the game's final "impressionist" art-style. Said Aonuma:

"Of course if I hadn't been told we had to re-do the art style then the game would already be done," Aonuma told us. "That being said we think there's a great relationship between the graphics and the gameplay. I think we will achieve a really great balance."

Link
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:59:26 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
They had to delay the game to make it look and animate worse less good as TP?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 17, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »
So wait, it's not coming out this year now?  All because Miyamoto wanted the cel shaded look back? While I like how it looks, couldn't he have requested that be done on the NEXT Zelda and not delay this one just to change the graphics look?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 17, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »
While graphics may be the primary reason for the delay, it definitely allows the other development departments to improve/refine their respective contributions.

Now I'm speculating here, but it's very possible that Miyamoto didn't approve of Aonuma's 'finished' Zelda, and rather than publicly call him out on it, they used the opportunity fix the real issues while the visuals were revamped.  For all we know Miyamoto might have planned this visual style for the next game, but now has the time to implement it for this one.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
  So wait, it's not coming out this year now?  All because Miyamoto wanted the cel shaded look back? While I like how it looks, couldn't he have requested that be done on the NEXT Zelda and not delay this one just to change the graphics look? 

DKC is already taking the Christmas 2010 slot.  We know Nintendo isn't going to release both games around the same time for fear of them cutting into each other's sales and I agree with that logic.  So you've got one or the other and if Miyamoto, for whatever reason, wants to give Zelda more time, might as well do it.  I'm assuming DKC doesn't require the extra time and one of these games has to be delayed, might as well make it the one that Miyamoto wants to give more time to.

I hope it's delayed into the first half of 2010.  If have to wait a whole year that better be for something more than graphics.  I wasn't thrilled about waiting a year for Twilight Princess so they could get the waggle to work, particularly when I bought the Cube version anyway.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: June 17, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »

DKC is already taking the Christmas 2010 slot.  We know Nintendo isn't going to release both games around the same time for fear of them cutting into each other's sales and I agree with that logic.  So you've got one or the other and if Miyamoto, for whatever reason, wants to give Zelda more time, might as well do it.  I'm assuming DKC doesn't require the extra time and one of these games has to be delayed, might as well make it the one that Miyamoto wants to give more time to.

I hope it's delayed into the first half of 2010.  If have to wait a whole year that better be for something more than graphics.  I wasn't thrilled about waiting a year for Twilight Princess so they could get the waggle to work, particularly when I bought the Cube version anyway.

That wasn't the reaction I expected..
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:12 AM »
After getting a nice amount of time into the game, I can really appreciate the motion controls and striking an enemy where they are supposed to be hit. The second time I played the calibration was off and the lady didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I just dealt with it. But the first time through I really enjoyed the ease of play, slashing the sword, rolling bombs and so on. I found my self wanting to make certain strikes such as a completely strait up verticle strike, but kept on doing 45 degree angle strikes. I then started looking at my hands, and thought "oh I'm swinging it wrong" so that instantly made me feel better about it. 

I had a good time holding the remote upward or sideways ready to swing a flying slash or what not, I thought it played fantasticly! And the more I looked at the more I realized how pretty it was. My first glimps was a super huge blown up big screen, made it look really ugly.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 18, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »
Nice impressions Cat', you're adding fuel to HYPE TRAIN on this one!

Random Thought: So I literally just finished watching the trailer for this game on my Wii which sadly displays video's better than my computer (too choppy) and my phone (can't make out details on the smaller screen) and I want to say two things:

- There's a really awkward animation at the start of the trialer when Link grabs his sword. It's like there's a missing frame because his fingers go from being open to clasped around the grip with no inbetween. I had to replay the video two or three times because something felt off about it, then I finally noticed that THIS was it. Makes you wonder if they just did a rush job on the trailer lol. I know I'm nitpicking, thats why I made sure to label this a "random thought"

- The game is much much prettier looking than I thought! First time I saw the video (phone) I wasn't feeling it. The second time (choppy computer) and through pics, I got to see the detail in the artstyle a little better and thought it looked nice. Now I think it looks AMAZING.
I also got to see some things in the video I didn't notice before like the new camspy from perfect dark bug weapon, enemies blocking sword strikes with inteligance and Link moving his sword in a circular motion for the EyeDoor to follow its movement. COOL ****!

Seeing all this detail plus Cat's impressions area really pumpin me up for this one!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:04:16 AM by EasyCure »

Offline johnny26

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
Been a big fan of zelda hope to try this game...I know one thing, The graphics is great.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #994 on: June 18, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

Nobody thought the game would be out this year, those who did were deluding themselves. All we had was 1 piece of artwork. The game wasn't delayed since Nintendo never announced a release date. All they are saying is that if they had kept Twilight Princess's graphics that they could have released it this year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
That's not true, Iwata specifically said it would be released this year.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
Do you get the feeling that working for Miyamoto is difficult with the constant tea table upending and such?  As brilliant as Miyamoto is, it seems like he isn't particularly trusting of his employees.  It's not fun to work for a boss you can never please.

But the games he is involved with always are of such high quality I'm not sure how you can totally criticize that.  Making Rare put Star Fox into Dinosaur Planet is the only real questionable choice.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 18, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
Miyamoto is like a renegade cop. He doesn't always go by the book, and he plays by his own rules, but his superiors don't question it because he gets results.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 18, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
Miyamoto is like a renegade cop. He doesn't always go by the book, and he plays by his own rules, but his superiors don't question it because he gets results.

SHAFT!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 18, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
Do you get the feeling that working for Miyamoto is difficult with the constant tea table upending and such?  As brilliant as Miyamoto is, it seems like he isn't particularly trusting of his employees.  It's not fun to work for a boss you can never please.

But the games he is involved with always are of such high quality I'm not sure how you can totally criticize that.  Making Rare put Star Fox into Dinosaur Planet is the only real questionable choice.

I remember reading something years ago that said during Mario 64's development Miyamoto was brutal to his team.  Since there was a lot of pressure on making sure the game would be the big revolution for 3D gaming that it was hyped up to be, Miyamoto was said to be a mad man in development, forcing members to completely redo certain sections in only short periods of time over and over again until he was satisfied.  After the game was done, apparently several people quit the company because they never wanted to work with Miyamoto ever again.

Of course like insanolord said, Miyamoto gets results.  Mario 64 ended up being a revolution that pretty much created the modern 3D gaming industry so Miyamoto did succeed in the end.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai