Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 614551 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #775 on: April 24, 2010, 04:49:26 AM »

Let's face it, it's pretty much the same team making it, that made the last game.  Where's the innovation going to come from.

That is some of the worst logic I've ever heard.  So because a team made a game one way, they're incapable of making it a different way?  By that logic the Zelda series should have never existed in the first place since Miyamoto and Tezuka should have been incapable of doing something other then Mario games.  Not to mention that it isn't exactly the same team that made the last one since Nintendo is always adding new people to all their development studio's as well as promoting people into higher level positions.

Hell, Majora's Mask was the result of Eiji Aonuma and Yoshiaki Koizumi being promoted and allowed to bring new idea's to the table.  For all we know, Nintendo could have promoted several people who worked on Twilight Princess into higher positions where they can now bring new idea's to the franchise as well.

So in other words, there's many places for innovation to come from.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 24, 2010, 04:59:54 AM »
the thing i worry about though is top down stiflement...it sounds like the guys on the bottom have lots of ideas, but Miyamoto tends to keep his pimp hand strong when it comes to his baby.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 24, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

Let's face it, it's pretty much the same team making it, that made the last game.  Where's the innovation going to come from.

That is some of the worst logic I've ever heard.  So because a team made a game one way, they're incapable of making it a different way?  By that logic the Zelda series should have never existed in the first place since Miyamoto and Tezuka should have been incapable of doing something other then Mario games.  Not to mention that it isn't exactly the same team that made the last one since Nintendo is always adding new people to all their development studio's as well as promoting people into higher level positions.

Hell, Majora's Mask was the result of Eiji Aonuma and Yoshiaki Koizumi being promoted and allowed to bring new idea's to the table.  For all we know, Nintendo could have promoted several people who worked on Twilight Princess into higher positions where they can now bring new idea's to the franchise as well.

So in other words, there's many places for innovation to come from.
Well my opinion is that Aonuma's still in charge, and he determines the direction of the game.  I'm not saying the game can't evolve, in fact it should because the team got experience with WW and TP.  But old dogs don't suddenly start making revolutionary products (unless they're Miyamoto, who consistently brings revolutionary ideas).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
Well my opinion is that Aonuma's still in charge, and he determines the direction of the game.  I'm not saying the game can't evolve, in fact it should because the team got experience with WW and TP.  But old dogs don't suddenly start making revolutionary products (unless they're Miyamoto, who consistently brings revolutionary ideas).

Sounds like you got your people messed up.  Aonuma's the one who's been trying to do new things with Zelda for years now, while Miyamoto has been the one holding it down.  Twilight Princess in particular would have ended up differently had Aonuma been allowed to do exactly what he wanted.  Instead when development got behind, Miyamoto took over the project and had Aonuma make the game the way Miyamoto wanted it.

Now had Aonuma managed the development team better in it's first year Miyamoto wouldn't have gotten angry and taken over the project, so he does share the blame.  But to act like Aonuma is the one holding the series back because of Twilight Princess is rather wrong considering Miyamoto is the one who ended up determining what direction Twilight Princess ultimately took.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 24, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »
So they OoT'd it to get it out the door sooner.

I can't blame Miyamoto for that since Aonuma was the one that couldn't get his vision together in the time frame allowed (It might now have been a Wii launch title if he did).

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
It's not like Aonuma has only had the one chance to prove himself with TP.  It can be said that Miyamoto tied his hands with TP, but when Aonuma's creativity wasn't producing a real game, it had to be done.  Not to say that his games are bad - TP, WW, ST are all solid games.  But my original comment was about the new game being 'revolutionary', and let's be honest, nobody described those past games as "the next OoT".  (I mean this in the sense of being ahead of it's time, not a tribute or remake of OoT)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »
They don't measure up to Majora's Mask, that's for sure.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #782 on: April 24, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
In terms of crap, correct. Majora's Mask is a terrible game, easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda. If MM is what Aonuma does on his own, then I don't ever want him getting complete control again. I'm still baffled as to why the staff here selected MM over TWW for Game of the Decade.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 24, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
In terms of crap, correct. Majora's Mask is a terrible game, easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda. If MM is what Aonuma does on his own, then I don't ever want him getting complete control again. I'm still baffled as to why the staff here selected MM over TWW for Game of the Decade.

Joke Post of the Day?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #784 on: April 24, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
No, why would I make the truth a joke? I don't see how anybody can say with a straight face that it's a great game. It's not the greatest game of all time, it's not the greatest game of the decade, it's not the greatest Zelda game, it's not even the greatest game of 2000. Just about every thing the game does is done better in the other Zelda games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »
No, why would I make the truth a joke? I don't see how anybody can say with a straight face that it's a great game. It's not the greatest game of all time, it's not the greatest game of the decade, it's not the greatest Zelda game, it's not even the greatest game of 2000. Just about every thing the game does is done better in the other Zelda games.

I'd heard the legends that such a person existed in this world, but I refused to believe them...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 24, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
Unless Nintendo comes up with a way to make the next Zelda game revolutionize the industry it will suffer the same fate as the Star Fox series. Second, although Miyamoto may not be involved directly, he is probably surpervising this game more than any other up to this point.

As for having high hopes for the new game, would you it is kind of cynical to not have some kind of hope for this game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »

QFT

I thought out of all the Zelda games Majora's Mask was the most innovative, i mean the time system was what allowed us to get really involved with all the characters. We got to get to know Kafei and Anju, there were all sorts of intricacies that i miss in newer zelda games. The only thing in Zelda that reminded me of its greatness was the camera quest in Wind Waker :P with gay love letters :P

I'd heard the legends that such a person existed in this world, but I refused to believe them...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
Unless Nintendo comes up with a way to make the next Zelda game revolutionize the industry it will suffer the same fate as the Star Fox series.
StarFox was never a system seller, it was more of a solid complimentary title.  You'll never see a Star Fox nominated for game of the year, no matter how solid it is.  Zelda is just measured on a different scale altogether.  The day they stop making Zelda is the day they give up on their traditional audience.

Second, although Miyamoto may not be involved directly, he is probably surpervising this game more than any other up to this point.
You have no way of knowing this (and if you do, please share).  I can't imagine him being more involved in this game than in MM or WW when Aonuma was unproven.

As for having high hopes for the new game, would you it is kind of cynical to not have some kind of hope for this game.
It's not that I don't have hopes, just my hopes are realistic.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »

I'm confused if this is borderline trolling or not... in what aspects of Majora's Mask, also known as the best game of all time, do you base this odd and contradicting opinion? Side-quests alone make MM superior, what Zelda game does side-quests better?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 25, 2010, 02:24:41 AM »
I don't see how anybody can say with a straight face that Majora's Mask is not a great game, but to each his own. Personally, there isn't a single thing Spirit Tracks did better than any Zelda game. I was driven to finish MM whereas ST was the first Zelda game I didn't give a sh*t about completing.

And honestly, there's no way to rightly bestow the title of "greatest" anything to anything because the entire endeavor is subjective. For example, I wouldn't say MM is the greatest game of say, 2000 because I think Final Fantasy IX sh*ts all over Majora's Mask, but there are plenty of people who detest FFIX.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 25, 2010, 04:52:04 AM »
Spirit Tracks did trains better than any other Zelda game.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #792 on: April 25, 2010, 05:58:23 AM »
Spirit Tracks did trains better than any other Zelda game.
You're saying since it wasn't done in previous Zelda games it was a good addition to the series, correct?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 25, 2010, 06:00:50 AM »
no he's just being snarky

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #794 on: April 25, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
Truthfully the most innovative Legend of Zelda was Link to the Past. 

Majora's Mask was good, but about 50% of the game was gimmick and side quests.  Yes, they were fun side quests, but it did not feel like a complete package.  And it is not nearly as good as people remember it or desire it.  I think people really enjoyed the atmosphere of that Zelda game and felt it was darker but with the same Zelda charm.

As an overall experience I believe Twilight Princess is every bit as good as Majora's Mask, but no where near as complete of an experience as Ocarina of Time, although it did do some things better.  (I felt Twilight Princess had a much better pacing, pushing you through the first 1/4 of the game until you have a good amount of story and items and then opening the world for you to explore. )

But Link to the Past introduced the more complex puzzles, changing world (light/dark) interactive environments and puzzles...and basically is still today the standard Zelda falls back on...it is the most playable and innovative Zelda game. 

I also don't feel Zelda has any threat of becoming like Star Fox.  Star Fox is a niche shooter brand that has tried several attempts to branch into different styles of games to give it more appeal, but in the process hurt the overall feel and appeal the originals had.  Zelda is not a niche title and as it expands it is not doing so to try to appeal to a wider audience, but just continue to provide the engaging experiences that people have come to expect from Zelda...but the truth is, everyone gets a little happy and joy when they begin to play a new Zelda adventure....just like the same joy people get from starting a new Mario adventure.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 25, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
Again, it's subjective. You can't tell me Majora's Mask is not as good as I remember it or desire it because, guess what? You're not me.

To me, A Link to the Past wipes the floor with almost every videogame ever made, save Super Metroid. Hence, no Zelda game ever came remotely close to recapturing the feeling I had when playing that game. Majora's Mask had the benefit of coming out after Ocarina of Time when the 3D Zelda concept felt fresh. If Majora's Mask came out today, I think I'd have less tolerance for it.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
Majora's Mask side-quests were there to get you to interact with the characters, which was Koizumi's goal with the game.

Besides, the game didn't have a long development time span. I think it was almost the same length as Wind Waker.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
Majora's Mask side-quests were there to get you to interact with the characters, which was Koizumi's goal with the game.

Besides, the game didn't have a long development time span. I think it was almost the same length as Wind Waker.

I think it was even shorter. Which makes the game even more amazing, to put such quality game in such a short time.

Majora's Mask is such a weird game, which is why I appreciate so much, I doubt we'll ever get a game like this, from Nintendo or any other developer.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
Well if we're dusting off the old "it's subjective, so I'm allowed to hate this popular game and you can't tell me I'm wrong" bit, I'd like to declare that I can't stand A Link to the Past  and I think it's awful.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »
Well if we're dusting off the old "it's subjective, so I'm allowed to hate this popular game and you can't tell me I'm wrong" bit, I'd like to declare that I can't stand A Link to the Past  and I think it's awful.

You hated Link to the Past and Super Mario World? Did a Super NES kill your cat or something when you were little? ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast