Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 418776 times)

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #1400 on: September 20, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
So far every metroid game that I"ve played with the exception of the original, and excluding 2 because I have never played it, has been a solid well crafted experience. Even fusion, which I would consider the weakest of those was a great game which only really had some nit-picks here and there. Other M feels like it was made by polling a room of 13 year olds. The game play is fragmented and the pacing suffers for it. Thankfully the largest fragment of gameplay is also the best, but even that is flashy and shallow. I wouldn't give this game a failing grade either, there is definitely fun to be had with it and when I'm not in first person I generally enjoy myself. The game just isn't satisfying on the same level as every other metroid game, and I expect better than "decent" from this franchise. I guess I'm not that phased by it though because after corruption I had resigned myself to believing we wouldn't get another metroid until the next console. This game is like a bonus for me, an interesting aside that I didn't expect.

*I also don't consider hunters a metroid game...
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 20, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
Seems like it would actually be easier to use your left hand -- just pivot on the D-pad, using your right hand as the lever... you could even keep your right hand on the buttons ready to switch again.  When playing right-handed, you have to reposition your whole right hand.
Have you actually tried this? It doesn't work as well at it sounds. The Wiimote ends up being too high in the hand, and I have to slide it down, either through some awkward movement or with my other hand. Flipping it into the right hand puts it into the proper position. However, I did sometimes use my left hand if I charged up before switching to first-person.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:22 AM »
From what I understand, the main thing that sucked about Hunters was the controls. It was a decent game except for that.
is your sanity...

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 21, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »
so when are we allowed to talk plot devices without blacking out the text?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 21, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »
What's the problem with using spoiler tags?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1405 on: September 21, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »
From what I understand, the main thing that sucked about Hunters was the controls. It was a decent game except for that.

I was actually fine with the controls - for me, the problem with Hunters was the game's structure. If you think Other M screws up the classic Metroid formula, then Hunters absolutely decimates it. Pretty much the only "powerups" you get are different guns, which can open different doors, but they're not nearly as cool as getting abilities like the grapple beam, space jump, X-ray visor etc. It's so much closer to a traditional FPS than a Metroid game.

Here's our review of that, which pretty much nails it (except a score of 8 is probably a point or two higher than it really deserves): http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/11241
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:36:29 PM by NWR_Grant »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
Metroid Hunters deserves an 8 because it was a portable shooter with great controls and online multiplayer.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 22, 2010, 12:57:36 AM »
Metroid Hunters deserves an 8 because it was a portable shooter with great controls and online multiplayer.

My cramped hand begs to differ.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 22, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Yeah, I just dug it out again and wow, my hand hurts from just five minutes of playing that on the DSi. I don't recall having such trouble with my old DS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
Maybe the bigger screen is harder on the wrist because it involves more moving around?
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
I played Hunters with the wrist strap and loved it; I'd rather use that for aiming than an actual analog stick.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 22, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »
Seems like it would actually be easier to use your left hand -- just pivot on the D-pad, using your right hand as the lever... you could even keep your right hand on the buttons ready to switch again.  When playing right-handed, you have to reposition your whole right hand.
Have you actually tried this? It doesn't work as well at it sounds. The Wiimote ends up being too high in the hand, and I have to slide it down, either through some awkward movement or with my other hand. Flipping it into the right hand puts it into the proper position. However, I did sometimes use my left hand if I charged up before switching to first-person.

I am a crazy lefty zealot, I even have a thread somewhere it's a joke thread don't look for it, and I really never had much problem with the switch to first person, now that you make me think about it I think I just push the remote slightly into my left hand with the right before I do the spin, it's done so quickly and automatic I really never noticed.

I also have no idea how to configure "lefty" controls for that. Unless you mean holding the remote backwards but that would be really weird.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 22, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
Maybe the bigger screen is harder on the wrist because it involves more moving around?

It's my left hand that hurts.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1413 on: September 23, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »
Yeah, I had to lie down and hold the DS on my lap to play Hunters comfortably. Otherwise, I'm holding the full DS weight with the left hand and pushing buttons at the same time, and it really wears on you. Plus, I only have the original DS phat.

But once I got used to dealing with the weight, I actually liked the controls. They were awfully quick and responsive.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 23, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »
If you have the original DS, don't you have the thumb strap? I figure that should solve the issue with most DS games that use the touch screen and buttons.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1415 on: September 24, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »
Oh, it's probably at the bottom of some drawer somewhere. I think it would take me ages to find it, if I still have it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 24, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
I never used the thumb strap, and honestly I don't understand how its supposed to work.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
I never used the thumb strap, and honestly I don't understand how its supposed to work.

You strap it to your thumb and your thumb on the touch screen basically becomes a poor man's analog stick.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1418 on: September 24, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
I quickly stopped using it, it was easier just to use my thumb rather than the thumb strap.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 24, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
The thumb strap doesn't fix the issue with the hand positioning you need to reach the L button.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 24, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
The thumb strap doesn't fix the issue with the hand positioning you need to reach the L button.

I also frequently got nervous about the idea of continually rubbing something that solid and hard repeatedly over a touch screen (quiet, you), as I feared I would scratch the screen.  I ran into that issue a lot with the touch screen, and it's the main reason I never used it if I could use button controls: I didn't want to damage the system, and I'd always feel compelled to clean it every time I touched it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 24, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
I quickly stopped using it, it was easier just to use my thumb rather than the thumb strap.

Wouldn't the salt/sweat/oil from your thumb be even more of a hazard to the touch screen?

Well, in any case... I am glad the 3DS is finally getting a proper analog control method. An FPS game like Hunters on the 3DS would work far better than on the old DS hardware. I hope we will see some Metroid games on the 3DS.
is your sanity...

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 24, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
The Metroid Hunters controls dont hurt so bad if you use the original DS.  The original DS size and form made it easier to support the wrist if your sitting down.  But when the newer DS came out, it become smaller of a form factor and so it makes it harder on your hands.

So its your fault stratos, for not having hands of a 12 year old girl.

8P

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »
I know I am a bit late, but I finally got a chance to put in several more hours in the game and so far I am really enjoying the story. It is a fun story, fantastic, nah, but it is entertaining with some iffy dialogue. So far no problem with how they've portrayed Samus, the only part that bothered me a bit was the encounter with Ridley, besides that she is still a strong woman character with human flaws.

The gameplay is fantastic though, I LOVE the boss fights for the most part, and it is great to have so many.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 24, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
I know I am a bit late, but I finally got a chance to put in several more hours in the game and so far I am really enjoying the story. It is a fun story, fantastic, nah, but it is entertaining with some iffy dialogue. So far no problem with how they've portrayed Samus, the only part that bothered me a bit was the encounter with Ridley, besides that she is still a strong woman character with human flaws.

The gameplay is fantastic though, I LOVE the boss fights for the most part, and it is great to have so many.

Glad to hear that someone else is enjoying the story. Sure it's not the greatest, but it kept me playing to see what was going to happen next.

The dialogue... Ya, it's really the only thing that I was disappointed with. In particular, Samus's. I'm not one of those people who think Other M ruined her "previously established" character, but I pictured her as terse. That's not to say she shouldn't speak, but that when she does, she doesn't mince words. She has pretty much eradicated entire species, after all.