Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 419957 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #1350 on: September 14, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?
I had wondered the same thing.  It seems like a lot of the old material Nintendo published on Samus back in the day indicated she was well above average in size.   I thought she looked fairly small in the Other M cinematics.

So, maybe everyone in the Metroid universe is unusually tall?  :)
Many changes have been made to increase Samus's sex appeal, including shortening her height, making her blonde, adding a "beauty mark," etc. It's kind of unfortunate, but at least it isn't something which affects the quality of the games.

Samus's sex appeal is one reason why the reviewers called the game sexsist.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1351 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »
Her hair was always blonde, it just went from dirty blonde to bleach blonde. As for sex appeal, remember that the reward for beating the first game good enough would show you her in a bikini, so I would say the sex appeal has always been there (the improved graphics just make it more noticeable).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1352 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »
Funny thing is, Samus has actually had MORE clothes coverage in the best ending with every iteration of the game.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »
I never said it wasn't always there, just that it's grown worse, and certain character design decisions seem to have been made for no other reason.

I thought her hair was brown in the NES game, but that may just be due to its limited colour palette.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 14, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
actually, her hair was green in the original.   

I always thought that, in the suit, she was tall, but out of the suit she was smaller.   Other M kind of cemented that thought when you see her die and loose about 5 inches all around.   I always wondered how that armor fit, and at least we now know it actually does spawn out of the blue suit. (is it tethered to her? or was).   

The blond part, i could easily see for her character.  yes dammit i admit it.  I like the Samus, and i think her suit has more sex appeal then he actual human body.  While I am near the end i believe (some monster that poops metroids) and was wondering if there are extra endings besides the beat 2 times endings.

Did you know Zelda Oot had multiple endings.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »
It was only green if you used certain passwords.  It was red in the ending.  Pretty much all of the female Nintendo characters have had their hair color changed from what it was in their original games.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 14, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure OoT only had one ending. Differently named Link's and Scarecrow Songs don't count.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
I do think a lot of that is because of limited color palettes, and because the original choices may have been made to make the sprite distinctive, like why Mario has a moustache.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Samus's hair turned green in the NES game when you got the Varia.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 15, 2010, 01:31:15 AM »
Why is blond = sex appeal? Why can't she be brunette :(
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 15, 2010, 01:44:44 AM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?
I had wondered the same thing.  It seems like a lot of the old material Nintendo published on Samus back in the day indicated she was well above average in size.   I thought she looked fairly small in the Other M cinematics.

So, maybe everyone in the Metroid universe is unusually tall?  :)
Many changes have been made to increase Samus's sex appeal, including shortening her height, making her blonde, adding a "beauty mark," etc. It's kind of unfortunate, but at least it isn't something which affects the quality of the games.

But isn't being tall considered sexy? But of course, this game was tailored more to appeal to the Japanese market, and their tastes differ from those in the west.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 15, 2010, 01:47:36 AM »
Her hair was always blonde,

Flat out false. Her hair was green in the original game (I think), and there are also media depicting her with hair that was red, brown, etc. Apparently the powers that be have settled on her being blond and have made that a permanent change, but it wasn't her original hair color.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 15, 2010, 01:52:21 AM »
In the original Metroid, if I remember correctly, Samus' hair is green using the Justin Bailey code and brown in the ending. I don't think she was blonde until Super Metroid. Peach and Zelda both ended up blonde too.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 15, 2010, 02:21:37 AM »
As is Rosaline (in your avatar) and hell, so is Link for that matter. There's far too many blonde mascots in the Nintendo universe! I would have liked it if Samus' hair remained green as per the original. It could be explained by her alien background, and it would have made things more interesting without really taking away from her sex appeal any...

But seriously, blonde haired mascots in Nintendo games is way overdone. Other colors need to be better represented.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 15, 2010, 02:36:37 AM »
Samus's hair turned green in the NES game when you got the Varia.
Did everyone not see this? Her hair is not green normally.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »
As is Rosaline (in your avatar) and hell, so is Link for that matter. There's far too many blonde mascots in the Nintendo universe! I would have liked it if Samus' hair remained green as per the original. It could be explained by her alien background, and it would have made things more interesting without really taking away from her sex appeal any...

But seriously, blonde haired mascots in Nintendo games is way overdone. Other colors need to be better represented.

Their next mascot needs to be a ginger.  ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 15, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
The Destructoid review was pretty harsh, but this discussion of the game's plotline failings is pretty good:

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml&mainnav=&track=featurebox

An excellent point is made: you can't say it wasn't bad for trying something different. It can still be badly done, as it was here.

Suddenly everyone is a dramatic and expert story critic. Just kidding. If anything, this shows how much the author really cares about the series. Nobody writes this much if not out of love. Or else we would be seeing more articles about how exactly a story in any given video game fails or succeeds.

I don't have any argument to counter since I recognize and enjoy the game's failings. I enjoyed it so much that I watched the whole 2 hour and 10 minute Metroid: Other M The Movie in the theater mode and came away entertained. Ah, I'm a sucker for Nintendo daring to flex a big budget. Two things: 1) it was a lazy weekend and I wanted to refine/modify my feelings toward the story after listening to the podcasts; 2) I know I'm not doing the story any favors in saying that I've experienced worse entertainment.

A few thoughts on two aspects discussed in the article:
I really like a lot of Samus's characterization. I can see how it is boring, but I can't help but think that this is just how a loner of a space bounty hunter would think and sound like. Shame that the screenplay wasn't all there.
I really like Anthony Higgs despite being gigantic cliche of a black character and a space marine and a huge stereotype of what Japan thinks a black person looks like. Take a gander at Anthony's concept art in the gallery and notice the lips.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1367 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
Her hair was always blonde,

Flat out false. Her hair was green in the original game (I think), and there are also media depicting her with hair that was red, brown, etc. Apparently the powers that be have settled on her being blond and have made that a permanent change, but it wasn't her original hair color.

Wow, do you not read other posts? You try and correct me by making a false claim that two other people have already mentioned is not true.

People are mis-remembering, her hair at the end of the first game was dirty blonde (which is a dark blonde). Her is a picture that shows her sprite from the endings of the first three Metroid games:

Other material (like comics) may have had her with brown hair, but you can see that her in-game sprite was blonde.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Sorry, that's a recolored sprite.  This is the actual coloring:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:25:56 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
Speaking of her height, has anyone else ever thought it strange how she is able to curl up into a basketball? She really must have alien DNA if her suit can do that to her without crushing her internal organs and bones. That would kill an ordinary person for sure.

She does not fit into the suit at all. Zero mission really drives that home when you regain the suit and see the Samus image fading over to the suit, the shoulders are in completely different locations.

Prime states the morph ball has a size of one meter so it's not THAT tiny. Of course the sprite based games seem to have smaller balls but really who cares? Samus is a two-legged, one-gunned thing that jumps when you hit the button.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Why there was no N64 Metroid.
« Reply #1370 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14325

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/yoshio-sakamoto-discusses-metroid-64-metroid-dread-and-the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/

I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn’t be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn’t a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn’t have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That’s something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid.

They mention Metroid Dread as well. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Why there was no N64 Metroid.
« Reply #1371 on: September 15, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14325

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/yoshio-sakamoto-discusses-metroid-64-metroid-dread-and-the-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/

I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn’t be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn’t imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn’t a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn’t have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That’s something I take as a complement to what we achieved with Super Metroid.

They mention Metroid Dread as well.

What a shock: Sakamoto "modestly" saying that one of the main reasons they didn't make an N64 Metroid was because they didn't think they could make a better Metroid than what he had made.   ::)

Can we please get this guy off of Metroid?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1372 on: September 15, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
Agreed, the guy is a egomaniac who doesn't care what anybody else (including fans) think or want, he is not as good as he thinks he is either.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 15, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »
I did find it interesting, though, how he criticized the N64 controller.  I've occasionally read about Miyamoto and Sakamoto not being fond of each other, and the N64 controller was created for a Miyamoto game, so this does seem to back that up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:11 PM »
It's impossible to deny that Samus sexual appeal has been gradually increasing, skin tight suit doesn't count as "completely clothed", she might as well be naked, and is being used more and more in the games. Also the zero suit now has freaking heels, which doesn't make a lick of sense in any way. The beauty mark is another dumb thing. In general, Retro had it right until Sakamoto started messing with the character. I second the motion of taking this guy as away from Metroid as possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:03:48 PM by mantidor »
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro