Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 419546 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #1325 on: September 14, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »
As I said before, I don't know how much of that is bad localization and/or metaphor.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 14, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »
Are there any other major groups in the galaxy besides the Galactic Federation and the Space Pirates? Maybe the Federation could get in a war with some third party and Samus would be forced to pick sides.

Ever since I found out that the G-Diffuser is the engineering marvel that powers the vehicles in F-Zero, Star Fox, and Metroid, I've always had the fanciful idea that all of Nintendo's sci-fi series exists in the same universe and galaxy. I don't know what a crossover would accomplish; I just fancy the thought.

But anyway, isn't Samus half Chozo or something? Therefore, there are Chozo in each and every game she appears in, simply because she herself is Chozo, at least in part.
IIRC, Samus received an infusion of Chozo blood which is what makes her superhuman even without the power suit. I don't know if that counts as being half-Chozo. As mentioned on the podcast, I would really welcome a game of Samus' Chozo training on Zebes before the Space Pirates came and smashed (one of?) the last living Chozo settlement and set up shop.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1327 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
But anyway, isn't Samus half Chozo or something? Therefore, there are Chozo in each and every game she appears in, simply because she herself is Chozo, at least in part.

She's had Chozo and Metroid DNA infused into her, but I think technically she is still considered fully human.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Wasn't that Chozo DNA stuff just added in Other M or something? She was fully human in the other games, minus Fusion which recently infected her with Metroid cells. I don't recall her ever having super-human abilities outside of the suit.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1329 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
No, it was added years ago (albeit only in the official Metroid manga and the comics).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 14, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 14, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?
I had wondered the same thing.  It seems like a lot of the old material Nintendo published on Samus back in the day indicated she was well above average in size.   I thought she looked fairly small in the Other M cinematics.

So, maybe everyone in the Metroid universe is unusually tall?  :)
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1332 on: September 14, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
The Nintendo Power Metroid comics are probably not canon, honestly. I mean, the old Super Mario World comics aren't canon, and neither was the Link to the Past comic (which was excellent). Even the manga has some questionable things in there.

Personally, I think the official canon starts with Zero Mission and ends with Metroid Fusion. How the Prime games fit in will always be a matter of debate, although since Other M borrows the Seeker Missiles from them, I'd suggest they are canonical.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1333 on: September 14, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
There was never any indication the Prime games aren't canon (even Sakurai doesn't flat out say they aren't, although his opinion wouldn't matter anyways).

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1334 on: September 14, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
Well, sure.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
There was never any indication the Prime games aren't canon (even Sakurai doesn't flat out say they aren't, although his opinion wouldn't matter anyways).

You mean Sakamoto, not Sakurai.
Canon and continuity in Metroid is, like The Legend of Zelda, unclear because it has to be. In an ongoing franchise with no grand narrative master plan, a developer needs to leave doors open and be vague so that future games can loosely fit in without requiring a lot of explanation. Fortunately, Metroid's overarching story is considerably easier to comprehend than Zelda's jumbled, two-pronged timeline.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1336 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
Whoops, you are right about it being Sakamoto.

Metroid timeline is easier than Zelda's because it is all one person. There is only one Samus, it's not like the Zelda series where Link and Zelda just keep being reincarnated.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
Metroid probably is the only long-lasting series that could possibly still be sorted into any canon.  With Mario, it really doesn't matter.   Aonuma changes the story on Zelda depending when you ask him (dual timeline, solid timeline, etc.), and Miyamoto just tells you not to think about it too much.   At this point, I think it's sort of impossible to make all the Zelda games fit together; it's almost like a collection of Norse mythology in a sense.  The character archetypes remain the same throughout each individual tale, but there are distinct discrepancies and disconnects.   It's very difficult to make all the stories fit together into a clean, cohesive story.

I don't know how much TPTB at Nintendo care about story canon in general; for the most part, they just want to make sure that most of their characters have their image intact.   While they probably don't care exactly how well the Prime games fit into the Metroid universe, I would think they would frown upon it if Sakamoto actively dismissed the series out of hand.

Even though things like the Nintendo comics aren't canon, it is interesting to see how much interpretations of Samus Aran have changed over the last 15 years or so.   I remember even reading the Valiant Captian N comics (I know! They weren't very good!) way back when, and she was pictured as being very tall, physically intimidating, and somewhat motivated by money...she still had a sense of honor, though.    It's certainly not cannon, but that and the NP comic probably shaped my perception of her during the time of Super Metroid.  My perception of her is certainly different now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:17:47 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 14, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »
I smell a spinoff game starring Adam Malkovitch in Sector Zero.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
Destructoid's posted an interesting editorial (be warned: spoilers) on the failings of Other M's story.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?
I had wondered the same thing.  It seems like a lot of the old material Nintendo published on Samus back in the day indicated she was well above average in size.   I thought she looked fairly small in the Other M cinematics.

To be fair, the ones she stands next to in the game are Space Marines, and they are likely much taller than the average citizen in the Galactic Federation. Real life marines in our world have to meet high physical ability standards that normal people just can't meet, so I'm sure in the future that's probably true with Space Marines as well.

Still... I think Other M did bring her height down from 6'3" that she was originally, and I'm not happy about that. I liked having Samus being a powerful Amazon warrior that you could both respect and fear, but Other M has her behaving emotionally and even running and screaming at one point (or so I've heard... haven't seen that yet though). So in Other M she's more or less just a typical female with her only advantage being her weaponry and her suit. That's one thing about Other M I absolutely hate. I liked the old Samus better. The old Samus could beat any man at arm wrestling, but this one... I just don't know.
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 14, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?

To be fair, the ones she stands next to in the game are Space Marines, and they are likely much taller than the average citizen in the Galactic Federation. Real life marines in our world have to meet high physical ability standards that normal people just can't meet, so I'm sure in the future that's probably true with Space Marines as well.

Still... I think Other M did bring her height down from 6'3" that she was originally, and I'm not happy about that. I liked having Samus being a powerful Amazon warrior that you could both respect and fear, but Other M has her behaving emotionally and even running and screaming at one point (or so I've heard... haven't seen that yet though). So in Other M she's more or less just a typical female with her only advantage being her weaponry and her suit. That's one thing about Other M I absolutely hate. I liked the old Samus better. The old Samus could beat any man at arm wrestling, but this one... I just don't know.
I work with some retired Marines...not all of them are tall.  Just tough. :)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
Speaking of her height, has anyone else ever thought it strange how she is able to curl up into a basketball? She really must have alien DNA if her suit can do that to her without crushing her internal organs and bones. That would kill an ordinary person for sure.
is your sanity...

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1343 on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »
The Destructoid review was pretty harsh, but this discussion of the game's plotline failings is pretty good:

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml&mainnav=&track=featurebox

An excellent point is made: you can't say it wasn't bad for trying something different. It can still be badly done, as it was here.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 14, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
The Destructoid review was pretty harsh, but this discussion of the game's plotline failings is pretty good:

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml&mainnav=&track=featurebox

An excellent point is made: you can't say it wasn't bad for trying something different. It can still be badly done, as it was here.

AHEM! Beat you to it.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:52:37 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 14, 2010, 06:42:21 PM »
Ever since I found out that the G-Diffuser is the engineering marvel that powers the vehicles in F-Zero, Star Fox, and Metroid, I've always had the fanciful idea that all of Nintendo's sci-fi series exists in the same universe and galaxy. I don't know what a crossover would accomplish; I just fancy the thought.

It'd be awesome if they stuck little references to that in each series. Something along the lines of Industrial Light & Magic putting the Millenium Falcon in the battle against the Borg in Star Trek: First Contact.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1346 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
The Federation ship in Other M is called the VIXIV, which is the name of the tank in X (both had Sakamoto involvement).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1347 on: September 14, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »

AHEM! Beat you to it.   ;)

AAAARRRRRGH!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 14, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
Wasn't that Chozo DNA stuff just added in Other M or something? She was fully human in the other games, minus Fusion which recently infected her with Metroid cells. I don't recall her ever having super-human abilities outside of the suit.

I think first she was infused with Chozo "blood", when dna became popular in sci-fi it was changed.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 14, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
Isn't Samus 6'3"?

Many changes have been made to increase Samus's sex appeal, including shortening her height, making her blonde, adding a "beauty mark," etc. It's kind of unfortunate, but at least it isn't something which affects the quality of the games.