Author Topic: Reuters: Sega has very high expectations for Mario an Sonic Olympics game  (Read 21833 times)

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 07:29:45 AM »
Course it is worth noting that, in the original Sonic titles on the Genesis, Tails and Knuckles and even DR ROBOTNIK all ran as fast as Sonic. I'll never forgot blowing up the doc's robot only to be confounded by how those skinny legs ran that fat tub to safety and Sonic WAS NOT ABLE TO CATCH HIM!!

So maybe Sonic's "king of speed" reputation has always been more hype than fact.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Official Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
Gametrailer trailer for Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

Link says it all. It's weird hearing the movie announcer guy do the narrative lol.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
This looks so bad. That's what you get for letting SEGA do anything.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
DELAY! Delay delay delay! OH PLZ GOD DELAY!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2007, 05:56:02 AM »
Anyone else notice the Wifi logo at the end?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2007, 06:04:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

I wish I had the ability to tell a game's quality from a tiny CG trailer...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Anyone else notice the Wifi logo at the end?

I'm guessing the DS version will have online gameplay. Maybe this is just me being pessimistic but I doubt the Wii version will have online gameplay, or if it did it would probably be something simple like an online ranking feature.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

I wish I had the ability to tell a game's quality from a tiny CG trailer...

Four specific letters can hint at a games quality if put in a certain configuration: S-E-G-A. Yeah, I'm a Sonic SOTR defender, but still... /afraid.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2007, 10:23:08 AM »
Well if you are talking about Sega's game quality in general, what good would a simple delay do? =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »
I would really enjoy if the implemented all the games.  Heres a list for refreshers.

Aquatics – Diving
Aquatics – Swimming
Aquatics – Synchronized swimming
Aquatics – Water polo
Archery
Athletics (track and field)
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoeing – Flatwater
Canoeing – Slalom
Cycling – BMX
Cycling – Mountain biking
Cycling – Road
Cycling – Track
Equestrian
Fencing
Field hockey
Football (soccer)
Gymnastics – Artistic
Gymnastics – Rhythmic
Gymnastics – Trampoline
Handball
Judo
Modern pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball – Indoor
Volleyball – Beach
Weightlifting
Wrestling  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 05:05:40 PM »
Give me squash or give me death!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »
Didnt they get rid of baseball? Hence the World Baseball Classic
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2007, 09:25:53 AM »
This is the last year.
Actually its the last year for a lot of sports.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
Wow...Am I the ONLY NWR forumer that actually bothered with this game? Now I believe that M&S will fail to sell 4 million...

Anyways, I got the game today and here are some VERY early impressions.

Its fun. I haven't gone deep enough to form a FULL opinion of it but I like what I have played. Despite many of the events being full on waggle I am liking the controls. They are  quite responsive and work well even if some forms are rather annoying and tiring (the swimming events might be my least favorite of the bunch).

Some of the events are very addicting, in that "I know I can do MUCH better" type of way. I couldn't stop playing the trampoline event because I WANTED to get the highest score possible. Its something I personally like and makes for a very fun time waster.

So gameplay right now is quite solid and can't wait to discover the rest of it.

Now for the negatives...

First off, while the graphics are nice and clean WHY ARE THE CHARACTERS SO STIFF AND LIFELESS?? Seriously, they stand still with only a few "breathing" animations here and there and when they animate they are quite stiff and robotic. After Next Level Games did such a wonderful job on making living, breathing characters full of charm and wit on "Mario Strikers Charged" Sega's take on the Nintendo characters as well as their own is just plain lazy and lacking heart.

The mini games on the "Gallery" option are quiet poor, tech demo quality event. When you win them you get a real Olympics facts but they are not worth it so will only unlock them when I am bored out of my mind.

Outside those nitpicks I am enjoying the game so far. I'll try to play it with other people to see how the experience holds off.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
"Wow...Am I the ONLY NWR forumer that actually bothered with this game? Now I believe that M&S will fail to sell 4 million..."

Super Mario Galaxy.  I don't why Nintendo decided to have that plus Fire Emblem plus this game all launching around the same time.  But nonetheless there's a bigger Mario game that we're all likely more interested in.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »
Stop forgetting about me Pap64! T_T

I'm getting this, but I'm waiting for it to arrive since I order it online from Familyvideo.com....

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »

Stop forgetting about me Pap64! T_T

...Who are you again? You were that third  party game supporter guy...It started with a "K". :p

Ian: Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles also launches on the same week as Mario Galaxy. That's one thing that pisses me off about the games industry. During the winter, spring and summer nothing. Absolutely nothing...Then Fall/Christmas hits and BAM! Tons and Tons of big game, triple A releases from all companies.

Don't know they know how to space out game releases? At the very least Capcom realized that the game market was too crowded and decided to release Harvey Birdman on early 2008 while Nintendo delayed Brawl till spring. Give us something to look forward to on spring and summer!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:59 PM »
I got the game in the mail today! big surprise! ... Oh, and I spent about 3 hours playing it with friends. It's pretty awesome when you have people to share the experience with and you're all open to having fun and willing to be crazy and vocal about it. But god... we're gonna be feeling sore in our arms for the next couple days because of this game, just like Wii Sports.

... I made the mistake of playing Carnival Games afterwards to wind down since it's much less hectic, but then I got hardcore obsessed with one of the mini-games and ended up tossing balls at different colored plastic cups for an additional hour, just making my sore-arm situation worse.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »

I got the game in the mail today! big surprise! ... Oh, and I spent about 3 hours playing it with friends. It's pretty awesome when you have people to share the experience with and you're all open to having fun and willing to be crazy and vocal about it. But god... we're gonna be feeling sore in our arms for the next couple days because of this game, just like Wii Sports.

... I made the mistake of playing Carnival Games afterwards to wind down since it's much less hectic, but then I got hardcore obsessed with one of the mini-games and ended up tossing balls at different colored plastic cups for an additional hour, just making my sore-arm situation worse.

Heh, I know how that is.

Anyways, time to update my impressions...

The more I play it the more I am loving it. The urge to try and outdo yourself and everyone else on the planet it way too strong to avoid and I love it. I decided to check the worldwide leader boards and try and top one of the rowing records. While I didn't rank high I moved up significantly and it was awesome. This game will be like a drug to those that LOVE to prove themselves in anything.

*FACT: Daisy is perhaps the best character for the rowing event. If you check the leader boards the top 5 players have used Daisy as their character.

Earlier, I talked about how crappy some of the Gallery mini games were. Well, I played them for more than an hour last night and while they are extremely simplistic and repetitive they are quite fun and great time wasters. Its just that some games are better than others (the "voice memory" game tends to get annoying with the characters having the same two lines but its good). I also think its a nice touch that they decided to add trivia about the Olympics themselves.

Dream matches are quite fun and the closer you'll ever get to a Mario Sports title on the Wii (for now). I still need to unlock more events but I like the arcade feel of it all.

I think "Archery" has the best and most creative control setup in the game, as well as any other Wii title. The Wiimote acts as the arrow while the nunchuck acts as the bow. You pull back on the Wiimote to simulate the "stretching" feel and you aim with it, while you control the nunchuck to fully  align the how and make the best show. It almost feels like you are holding a bow and arrow!

There's definitely a hidden level of depth in many of the events. As the IGN reviews mentions you can't win every event by simply waggling the remote and nunchuck like crazy. You actually have to time the jump and measure the speed of how  you move the controller. This is clearly evident on the jumping events in which timing is key. I love it!

In my earlier impressions I complained about the graphics. I wasn't being fair so I'll explain them one more time. I still stand that the characters are far too stiff for this type of game. They are almost like the characters models in the Mario Party games. However, they are very nice, clean, crisp and detailed and the animation is quite good, even if its limited. I also mentioned that the characters lacked attitude and personality. Turns out that they do have a little bit of life in them if you look closely. For example, on the jumping events you get to animate the crowd up by simulating the "clapping" motion. Most characters just clap their hands. However, some of them have their own unique animation. Shadow, for example, is too cool and emo to be all happy and such so in order to get the crowd going he just raises his hand up and down while still being angsty. I honestly thought that was a nice touch. Oh and Wario's gut bounces up and down in the fencing event.

The only events I am not a big fan of are swimming and fencing. In swimming each character has their own swimming styles (dog paddle, crawl, standard and such)  and some are more annoying than others. Its the ultimate waggling experience and quite tiring.

As for fencing its good, I just think its too limited and could've been better. You get to do the "poking" motion, but it could've been deeper and maybe have implemented 1:1 controls.

Table Tennis is a personal favorite of mine, but the matches last too long and my arm gets tired quickly. It is quite good and even deep if you know how to play it right. Its definitely far better than Rockstar's Table Tennis :p .

So with more experience under my belt I recommend "Mario and Sonic" if you loved Wii Sports and enjoy the Mario Sports games. The games are quite addicting and the extra features are a BIG welcome. Its not extremely revolutionary, especially if you have played other party games, but if you can ignore that you will find a rock solid game.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
Have you tried playing with Miis yet? It's sorta awesome...lol

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:30 AM »
I would have bought this if the fencing was good.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »

Have you tried playing with Miis yet? It's sorta awesome...lol

Yes I did. Its adds even more Wii Sports charm to the game. Its pretty cool to see yourself participating in a major event like the Olympics against Mario and Sonic and at times, funny! I took an evil Mii I created ages ago and put him in the skeet event and he looked maniacal with gun in hand.

I would have bought this if the fencing was good.

The fencing isn't terrible, though. Let me run it down for ya:
The Wii acts as the sword while you move your character with the nunckuck's joystick. You try and avoid the other character's attacks while you find an opening to exploit and go in for the kill. You thrust the Wii remote forward to perform the attack. When you move the controller while holding A you perform a parry attack that will throw the opponent off balance.

There a small bit of depth, but you can win by just moving back and forth and attacking non stop.

Of course, keep in mind this is what I think, meaning that people might like different events.

I recommend EVERYONE to at least rent the game and see what you think. The game warrants at least a try.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2007, 10:56:13 AM »
Still have zero interest in this game, but glad you guys are having fun.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2007, 08:25:32 AM »
Been playing it and enjoying it.

Fencing is surprisingly fun, as well as table tennis and the hammer throw. I even liked the swimming.

WHY did they choose to release this game on the eve of Mario Galaxy? Are they insane? If this had been released sometime mid-summer or even a month or so earlier when there was a full Wii drought going on, this game would have seen infinitely better sales.

I rented this through Gamefly but it could easily be a buy for our group. I REALLY wish I was off beating some of those records right now...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Been playing it and enjoying it.

Fencing is surprisingly fun, as well as table tennis and the hammer throw. I even liked the swimming.

WHY did they choose to release this game on the eve of Mario Galaxy? Are they insane? If this had been released sometime mid-summer or even a month or so earlier when there was a full Wii drought going on, this game would have seen infinitely better sales.

I rented this through Gamefly but it could easily be a buy for our group. I REALLY wish I was off beating some of those records right now...

I'm honestly surprised you liked it so much, especially since you played so many party games that used the same control schemes as M&S.

Table tennis is awesome and surprisingly responsive. Like Wii Tennis you can just waggle the wiimote, but its best when you are not a tool box!

Fencing I'm still not to keen on it. Mainly its because its too easy. I can win by doing this:
BACK-BACK-FORWARD-STAB STAB

The computer AI doesn't offer that much of a challenge. If they were fierce fighters then maybe I would've enjoyed it a little more. Dream fencing, though, is slightly better.

And swimming is so much better with just the wiimote. It was clever of them to make the characters have unique swimming motions, but some of them are MURDER on the wrists and arms.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer