Author Topic: PSP Slim  (Read 17621 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
PSP Slim
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:25:41 AM »
Original Post:  June 8, 2007

According to Kotaku, there's unofficial confirmation that Sony is redesigning the PSP.

PSP Slim Details Revealed

It's a redesign of the current version, not the PSP2, so it will have the same internal hardware.

Features:
-Slimmer design
-New LED screen
-Improved battery life (lasts up to 4x longer)
-Faster UMD drive that will shorten load times
-8 GB internal flash memory
-Improved buttons and D-pad
-Possible internal camera
-Target price point of $170
-Officially unveiled at E3
-On sale in August or September 2007

This seems like a fanboy's wish list of improvements rather than an actual spec list.  I'm not so certain it will happen, especially at $170.

Update #1:  June 12, 2007

New Information/Rumors

-"[T]he updated PSP won't have big speed increases and will be outfitted with a slot UMD loader"
-"[The screen is] the same size [as the current one] and is "Sidekick-esque." That would give the portable a "flip-factor" and decrease the system's overall size"
-New controls for UMD movie chapter and music skipping
-Screen is still LCD, not LED as previous information indicated
-Sony is considering adding Bluetooth capabilities
-4 GB of on-board memory, not 8 GB
-"[T]his new PSP would eventually replace all existing models. Pricing is "currently the same," and the release date is Fall 07"

Looks like BnM might have been on the right track when he guessed a clam-shell design.  I also find it interesting that the PSP Slim will replace the existing model and not work in conjunction with it.  My guess would have been that Sony drops the price of the existing model and positions the PSP Slim as a high-end version.

Updated #2:  June 13, 2007

PlayStation Blog "Denies" PSP Update

The rumor mill is flowing about new PSP hardware and a PSP phone, and I just wanted to take the time to clear the air. We haven't announced anything about a new PSP, much less one that would have any phone capabilities. As SCEA's resident PSP guru, I'm thrilled to hear that there's so much interest in the platform, but sorry folks, these reports floating around fall into the rumors/speculation category.

Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: PSP Slim
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:49:38 AM »
If all that happened I would buy one.

Things I doubt will be in the system:  $170.00 price point, and Camera.

But hey, I could see this package for $249.99, perhaps $200.00  Maybe.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:48:59 AM »
With a camera and 8GB of internal flash, there is no way that is coming out at $170.
Faster UMD, slimmer design and new less power hungry screen that improves battery life, I can see all that happening, but still not at $170.
If it does happen, I'm calling a $199 price point. Whats the current price of the PSP?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:PSP Slim
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:08:59 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

If it does happen, I'm calling a $199 price point. Whats the current price of the PSP?

Too Much.

$169.99 for a brand new core system.

They could drop the core system price to $149.99 and then offer a new premium package PSP Slim for $199.99.  I wonder what Nintendo would do with the DS then?  I would imagine dropping the price to $99.99 would be crazy, but a smart move.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 05:16:33 AM »
But how much does just the 8 GB of flash memory cost? Around $50?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:32:25 AM »
The DS doesn't need to worry about the PSP, it's already beaten it. But Nintendo will likely drop the DS $10.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:42:04 AM »
Since Sony would be producing it themselves, maybe $50, but probably less.

As far as PSP goes, if it currently sells at $170 while breaking even (or is Sony still taking a small loss?), how is adding a new LED screen tech, an updated UMD drive, a shrunken case and chipset(?), and a more efficient battery gonna keep the price the same?

Now add in a camera and 8GB of flash and you easily push the suggested retail price close to $250 which just pushes the PSP out of mainstream pricing all over again, and they aren't gonna be making huge profits on selling memory stick to the public anymore with a built in flash memory

So I want to clarify, PSP Slim, new UMD, screen and battery = $199 USD.
If it comes with a camera and/or flash memory $249/279 USD

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 05:48:43 AM »
I don't see the faster UMD AND longer battery happening at the same time.... and the choice for a LED display seems pretty odd....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 08:09:15 AM »
PSP Slim = PSPS

That just sounds odd.

Everything on that list seems plausible except the camera and the faster UMD drive. They could cut costs by making the chipsets smaller (a while back, I read about Sony possibly cutting PS3 losses by doing the same, something about the manufacturing process and 65nm). Also, I could see them making the screen (gasp) smaller. The PSP is pretty compact as it is, I don't know how they could reduce its size without sacrificing screen size. A smaller, more efficient screen would certainly help lower the price and with a new and improved battery, increase battery life even more. With all the cost cutting measures, I think they can pull off internal flash memory too. Then again, if they did without it, they could come really close to DS's MSRP, which might actually be a better idea. People see a lower price point, even if they have to buy something extra. How many consoles did we have to buy memory cards for? However, no one really factors that into the price of the console.

One thing I wonder though. Sony just cut the price of PSP no too long ago so cutting the price again, even after introducing a new model, so soon might look bad to consumers. Not me though... I kind of want PSP, but I'm waiting for the price to drop to a more affordable level though I wouldn't mind getting a new version since these changes would be significant improvements.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 08:18:34 AM »
The only way to make the PSP seem smalled w/o sacrificing screen size would be a clamshell design.
I they design it exactly like the GBASP only using the PSP screen dimensions(like a one screened widescreen DS), they might have a pretty slick handheld that might appeal to a larger crowd. If they do that and keep the price at about $199, I think they might see a boost in sales. Everybody loves a good redesign, and the PSP could use one to spur interest right now.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
The DS doesn't need to worry about the PSP, it's already beaten it. But Nintendo will likely drop the DS $10.

That's exactly the wrong kind of thinking Nintendo needs.  There's way too much brand loyalty to the Playstation name, and if a new PSP comes out, armed with whatever that FFVII prequel is, don't you think things could slide a little closer to Sony's favor?  Just because the PSP may lose this generation doesn't mean it won't build up it's brand, and barring the same mistakes Sony made on the PS3, that could be fierce competition for Nintendo's next handheld.  To me, outselling the PSP in a 2:1 ratio doesn't scream domination as much as what Nintendo did to the N-Gage or the Neo Geo Pocket Color.  If that ratio shifts more and more to Sony's side, that's a bad thing, even if Nintendo is ahead at the end.

Anyway, it needs to be called the PSP ReduX and abbreviated PSP Rx.  That's just me, though.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy

Originally posted by: Artimus

That's exactly the wrong kind of thinking Nintendo needs.  There's way too much brand loyalty to the Playstation name, and if a new PSP comes out, armed with whatever that FFVII prequel is, don't you think things could slide a little closer to Sony's favor?  Just because the PSP may lose this generation doesn't mean it won't build up it's brand, and barring the same mistakes Sony made on the PS3, that could be fierce competition for Nintendo's next handheld.  To me, outselling the PSP in a 2:1 ratio doesn't scream domination as much as what Nintendo did to the N-Gage or the Neo Geo Pocket Color.  If that ratio shifts more and more to Sony's side, that's a bad thing, even if Nintendo is ahead at the end.

Anyway, it needs to be called the PSP ReduX and abbreviated PSP Rx.  That's just me, though.

But a large portion of the PSP's audience is not the audience that bought the GBA. The DS has already surpassed the GBA in Japan, for example.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:29 AM »

BlackNMild2k1 wrote:
The only way to make the PSP seem smalled w/o sacrificing screen size would be a clamshell design.

But then they'd be accused of copying Nintendo and Sony would never do that.

I think Sony could get away with a slightly smaller screen, especially if it makes the system better as a whole.

thatguy wrote:
Just because the PSP may lose this generation doesn't mean it won't build up it's brand, and barring the same mistakes Sony made on the PS3, that could be fierce competition for Nintendo's next handheld.

I completely agree with you there. Nintendo should never underestimate anyone ever again. That invited Sony to kick their ass with PS1 in the first place. People only love you as long as there isn't a better alternative. Nintendo has to continue to hit and hit hard.

Also, PSP Rx reminds me of prescriptions. Since this is Sony, they'll probably call it PSP Lite or PSP Nano.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 08:52:21 AM »
No touch screen?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
Adding a touchscreen would almost make it a Gameboy Color kind of update. There would be games incompatible with the original PSP. I don't think that's something Sony can afford to do as it would split PSP's corner of the market.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
But all users could play the black UMDs!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Adding a touchscreen would almost make it a Gameboy Color kind of update. There would be games incompatible with the original PSP. I don't think that's something Sony can afford to do as it would split PSP's corner of the market.

That didn't stop them from adding a better processor to the PS1 mid-way through its life.

It sounds like the kind of thing any sensible customer would cringe at, but seriously, Sony pulls this sh*t all the time and yet people still buy their crap.

Adding a touch screen to one-up the DS while royally screwing their current userbase would be nothing out of the ordinary for them.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
That is a good point though.  If they could add in a touchscreen, and still make games compatible (for the most part) with both systems, I bet they will.  Very much like the black GB cartridges made for both.

I just remember Sony's Cronies complaining about how Nintendo always screws them over, releasing new hardware all the time right after everyone has bought their system.  I never took any stock in the argument, because each system would always have the same functionality, and the change was always in form.  If Sony did that, how would people react?

I think they'd get upset, given how different the mindset is about Sony right now.  It's hard to tell, though.  Some would say that Sony is just trying to be innovative, and give people what they want.  I wonder if they'll include Sixaxis control into this one, too.

Hopefully they won't have picked up the 'remove a battery to change the game' design flaw though.  With Sony, it's hard to tell what qualities they'll steal and still mess up.

The Rx name is supposed to remind you of a prescription.  It's like the drug everyone needs.  I think it's the best name they could go with, personally.  It fits the abbreviated name style, while not stealing SP, and everyone 'knows' prescriptions are the good kind of drugs.  There was a rumor going around that Sony had focused grouped the PSP Fix awhile back, and people didn't like it, but this is a little different and seems to fit better, IMO.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 10:22:10 AM »

Smash_Brother wrote:
That didn't stop them from adding a better processor to the PS1 mid-way through its life.

I hadn't heard of that. Could you perhaps provide a link? I've only read about revisions reducing manufacturing costs or using smaller or higher quality parts (like a CD drive) which is no different than any other hardware manufacturer.

I guess "better" depends on how you define it. Making it faster or more powerful is one thing as owners of older models couldn't play newer games. Making chipsets smaller and less prone to overheating is another. That'd be better though the chipset does exactly the same thing as the original. If that's the case, that's nothing like adding a touchscreen. Even the introduction of the Dual Shock isn't that comparable. It sucks, but a controller is replaceable for $25.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »
WAIT A SECOND!!!

An LED display? LEDs are cheap, so that could explain part of the cost reduction...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »
Well, that's the thing.  Why not an LED display before?  If it's cheaper and can offer the same quality with a thinner screen, why didn't they go for it in the first place?  I'd say that we're not seeing all the information, especially since there's been no formal announcement or a name to go with it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
LED tech is still fairly new for Sony, so it is/was expensive.

But soon, Sony will be rolling out their line of LED HDTVs, which are said to be superior than what modern LCD sets offer.  Better color/light reproduction, lighter, thinner, and much less power consumption.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »
I could see this all happening.  I mean flash is dropping in price like a rock the more time passes.  LED same story.  UMD drive redo could be easy to manufacture while getting higher speeds gleamed from there newer optical drives they are developing.  Everything and its brother now has a camera so they must be cheap at this point.  A button redo is a no brainer.  Also Sony can't afford to release a more expensive model.    DS didn't I mean the difference between the Lite and original was marginal when it was released.

This could possibly be a good move.  Especially if the UMD drive is much faster.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Which is exactly why Nintendo needs to take this very seriously.  I just hope they know that.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08:26 PM »
LED is expensive. Monochrome is easy but each color needs a different chemical composition which isn't easy to do. LED is probably the right price for a HDTV but I'm notsure it's cheap enough to be used in handhelds yet.