Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 348405 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Real expert players can overcome luck.

uh huh.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Adrock:  And you don't think the definition of hard to pull off is waiting for an item to come and get ONE single chance to use it and pull it off effectively?  Its not like you can pull off the perfect attack with it each and every time.

We don't even know exactly how the attack works.  Perhaps it triggers the attack right after you get the item...or your first attack after you get.  Perhaps you can stop somebody from using the attack just by attacking them before they pull off the move?  We know nothing yet.

As for discussion about how Link's and Kirby's works.

I would assume Kirby's is an Area attack.  Everyone within a small close Area of Kirby gets caught in the attack.  Putting the risk that Kirby has to get close to use it...and making it easier to avoid.

I believe Link's is more of a straight forward dash attack.  Anyone caught in the line of the attack is going to get hit.  I think the Triforce isn't there as a trap...just decoration to make the move look cooler.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Personally I think the small updates are their so they have things for big events and so that their is still surprises left when Brawl is released.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Ceric I agree.  The blog is not designed to release big information about the game.  But to create interest and hype and allow the design team to talk about the game some.  

Small updates ensure that the team isn't overwhelmed with the website while still working on the game.  

E3 is going to bring tons of information and first hand game play of Brawl.  Right now we are getting teasers and that is ok with me.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang ..specially if you include online play, where 1 on 1 should not be the norm.

Considering that Sakurai already expressed the difficulty in getting 4 player online play to work, I think it's reasonable to expect it to be the norm.

Fighting games tend to have a hard time going online because of the sheer amount of twitch gameplay involved. SSBB will be no exception.

Maybe we might have 2v2 with only 2 Wiis connected, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for 4 player online play.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Shecky

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Ceric
Lets say the did use a meter instead.  That could work fine but I personally would prefer instead of a meter one of two things:
1.  The icon or portrait whatever there using to change as you charge like already mentioned
2.  The character itself change as you charge.  Like we now that flames go around Mario with his so as he charged they would start to develop until he has those huge flames in his eyes.
I just think it fit a little better with the feel of the game.

AAARGH!  and no one gets the ref...  

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Shecky

Originally posted by: Ceric
Lets say the did use a meter instead.  That could work fine but I personally would prefer instead of a meter one of two things:
1.  The icon or portrait whatever there using to change as you charge like already mentioned
2.  The character itself change as you charge.  Like we now that flames go around Mario with his so as he charged they would start to develop until he has those huge flames in his eyes.
I just think it fit a little better with the feel of the game.

AAARGH!  and no one gets the ref...

Theres some issues with grammar and spelling in the bolded parts.  Is that to refer to that Word Coach game going on in the other thread?  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I'd be very surprised to see 4 player matches online. One on one is fine by me. I wouldn't refuse a working online 4-player mode, but if the technology just isn't there yet, I'd rather they tweak what does work rather than force what doesn't. I'm just happy they're making the game period. It's been far too long since Melee.

And I like the small updates. I just wish they'd unveil one really big surprise a week. A new stage or character. They haven't really wowed me yet though something is better than nothing.

Spak-Spang wrote:
And you don't think the definition of hard to pull off is waiting for an item to come and get ONE single chance to use it and pull it off effectively? Its not like you can pull off the perfect attack with it each and every time.

It's the "wait for the item to come" part that kills it for me. Don't you think it's hard to earn it by plain being good at the game? Everyone seems to be protecting novice players without considering that everyone started as a novice player.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
New item: Cracker launcher

That's great and all. I just really would like to see a newcomer we haven't seen or something.

Still, that item looks like loads of fun, mostly because of the ability to aim. The site mentions that "You can walk around and jump while holding the launcher." I wonder if you can shoot it in the air. If it's so heavy, how fast can you shoot while jumping.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
They're not going to announce newcomers on the site. They'll only announce them at events, by way of video, because it's big news.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
On the reference nobody got... it was refering to the concept of a changing portrait and onscreen character as the visuals for an in game meter.  My reply is practically a trivia question.

On the Cracker Launcher... looks to act as a mortor of sorts, which will likely affect the speed and jumping capabilities of your character.  SSB has been good about that in the past (aka DK can move with those big crates easy, kirby cannot.  This isn't a large crate, so I imagine even the smaller characters can move with it, just slowly.

And you get nice eyecandy after the shell explodes, great weapon!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Probably also has a splash range so shooting it near you would be a bad idea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Adrock:  This will be my last post on the subject, because I believe everyone else is tired of seeing me stupidly argue with anyone on a message board.  I just want you to know where I am coming from.  

I am not 100% opposed to the idea of a super meter per say...it is just that my experience with Smash Bros has been one where friends stopped playing because the skill level to compete made it to frustrating to play with friends better than you.  The original N64 game was our second most played multiplayer experience (Perfect Dark being first) but Melee became too complicated.  There was so much more strategy and depth to the game that people literally stopped wanting to play me.  Or they would just do that cheap auto Smash C-Stick the entire game.

Soon even I dispised the multiplayer aspect of the game even though Melee was one of my favorite games to play solo.  For me anything that can get my friends back to play Brawl with me I want.  Better balance, slow the speed a tad, and create an experience more like the original.  

To me that is where items come in.  Items like the newly announced Cracker Launcher...something that just sounds fun and crazy to use.  That can cause chaos on the screen and is simple to use.  

Or the Final Smash that gives players a single attempt to make a big score in the game.  To me, that just sounds like alot of fun.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
it is just that my experience with Smash Bros has been one where friends stopped playing because the skill level to compete made it to frustrating to play with friends better than you.

Auto handicaps really helped me out.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
I find it amazing the depth to which you guys have analyzed these games!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Adrock
Everyone seems to be protecting novice players without considering that everyone started as a novice player.

That's EXACTLY why we're protecting novice players: so there will be more of us.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Reggie eats novice players.

With hot sauce.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Reggie eats novice players.

With hot sauce.

Hence the real reason Reggie is trying to garner new players.  To satisfy is insatiable hunger.  Hence why he was look for a hera... assistant.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Delfino Plaza is officially a Brawl stage.

According to the site, what happens is that you start on a platform high above the city, then it will travel all around it. When it lands, it becomes a normal Brawl stage.

Looks nice! The colors are really vivid.

So far it looks like we have two "moving" stages confirmed (the Halberd and Delfino Plaza).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Sounds interesting, but looks rather bland. Still loving the fact that we're getting daily updates though, regardless of what they are.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Hmm, it does look kind of dull compared to Sunshine, but it's only the background so I'm fine with it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
That's pretty cool. I like the moving backgrounds more than the static ones though it looks like Sakurai is trying his best to make those more lively (i.e. day/night cycles). Slippery paint/graffiti could make the Delphino Stage more interesting, as well as some resident Piantas walking about in the background to make it less empty. And if the platform lands near water, I hope they add swimming to the game. I never liked how you turned to dead weight on The Great Bay stage in Melee. In fact, I never liked how Yoshi suddenly couldn't swim in Super Mario Sunshine. What the hell?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
The Piantas were the lamest characters they ever made and SMS was one of the weakest Mario games so it makes perfect sense they would recycle them as if nothing were askew.  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.