Author Topic: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!  (Read 20545 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:05 PM »
Will this Zelda make Spielberg smile like a dork as well?  We'll find out.

Wii is Miyamoto's Virtual Boy.

THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW.

THIS WEEK IS OFFICIALLY ZELDA HATE WEEK.

AUGUST 21, 2006
WE WILL NEVER FOGHAT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:08 PM »
This sounds more intuitive to me than the E3 Wii controls.
GOREGASM!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda Using Motion Sensor for Sword!
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »
The b button makes sense for the arrows.  I assume now they will move the shield controls to the nunchuck's accelorometers.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
After this game I want Nintendo to do a Berserk game specifically just for the Wii, no DreamCast rehash of any kind, rated M please, and I want all the violence/sex/blood/gore/the-most-nastiest-possible-thing-ever in the Berserk universe in this game, oh so that would rate it at that new 25+ age rating which is AO?! Indeed.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:58 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
The b button makes sense for the arrows.  I assume now they will move the shield controls to the nunchuck's accelorometers.

Maybe this controller mock-up thing isn't that much of a joke anymore.  o_0

I mean, okay, the Master Sword blade and the Hylian Shield are unnecessary, but it pretty much sums ups how they'll be used.

Hey, wait a second!  I'm right-handed!  Link is left-handed!  Has someone brought that up yet?

Well, it's not a swordfighting simulation, they'll probably make it work.  Pre-programmed motions and whatnot.

Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2006, 04:53:06 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is.

Is that a joke?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »
No, it's not a joke.

I tried Red Steel at E3, and I didn't feel that the blocking with the swords actually mimicked my left hand's motion.  At all.  And the slashes were just slashes.  No true thrusts, parries, etc.

Of course I guess it's hard to do swordfighting and fencing when you don't feel your opponent's blade against yours - no force feedback could be that strong.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:58 PM »

I've got the biggest grin in the world right now...One for Ninty realizing the potential behind using motion sensing for sword movement, and two because Mario is being hilariously ranty about it... =D
Well, I'm sure that they realised that it could be used as a sword, but they hadn't ironed it out before E3. I'd bet Miyamoto found an intuitive way to do it recently, and that made him change his mind about sword-swinging. When TP Wii controls were first rumoured, I was against it, and I still am to a degree. But you won't hear me complaining about it anymore. I have accepted the fact, and I have faith in Miyamoto and Nintendo. It won't be the Zelda that was built solely for the Wii, but it will be a good game. As I have said, if anyone can pull this off, Nintendo can.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Well, consider me excited again. That D-Pad still needs to be repositioned, though.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline WalkingTheCow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »
Great news! I've got absolutely NO problem with fully motion-sensing based sword attacks!! I'm quite suprised that even a couple people believe this will somehow be terrible. This is how I thought it should be all along. Run with the motion sensing thing! It makes good sense, so do it! And Smoke, I completely agree, it sounds considerablly better and more intuitive than the E3 setup.

Doubters, doubt away,  but I think this sounds great.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2006, 04:37:59 AM »
You know I've been thinking but why not just switch the controlls when you use the shield.  Sort of like with OoT where you go into that little hunched position and cant move but can adjust you shield.  While in that mode WiiPointer is shield and button is sword.

Also third person over the should sound like a good way to do sword.  You don't have to be as precised to get the feel of 1 to 1 mapping.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 05:21:25 AM »

No, it's not a joke.

I tried Red Steel at E3, and I didn't feel that the blocking with the swords actually mimicked my left hand's motion.  At all.  And the slashes were just slashes.  No true thrusts, parries, etc.

Of course I guess it's hard to do swordfighting and fencing when you don't feel your opponent's blade against yours - no force feedback could be that strong.

Uhmm, I think I was just confused.  I thought it was funny as it won't take much to make a game with more sensitive sword fighting than Red Steel (at least as it was at e3).
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 05:32:31 AM »
I like this but I have one question.  Will Link still be left handed or will he be able to hold the sword with his right hand now too?  It might be a little weird to have my right hand move his left.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

No, it's not a joke.

Uhmm, I think I was just confused.  I thought it was funny as it won't take much to make a game with more sensitive sword fighting than Red Steel (at least as it was at e3).

Don't worry, that was probably my bad.  When I said "Maybe one day, there'll be a true sword-fighting game, perhaps even more sensitive and exact than Red Steel is" I think it sounded as if I was implying that Red Steel was sensitive and exact (or precise, I guess)...when I really meant to say that it wasn't really.  It's not bad, and supposedly it's improved since E3 - but it's certainly not a swordfighting simulation.

But we're talking about Zelda.  I did mention the left-handed/right-handed thing briefly earlier but since they're just going to be activating predetermined animations it may not be an issue.  It's not like Link has needed to ever slash specifically in a direction before anyway.  As in, left or right.  But I wonder how jumping downstabs would work?  I guess it'll all work in context in the moment of the battle, so a downward thrust of the WiiPointer would work like that during a jump and not while he's not jumping.  Link usually only jumps during battle anyway.  Or am I confused?  I thought I saw his downstab in a trailer.  Maybe it was for SSB:B.  Ergh.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »
As I recall, Link would leap onto a downed enemy and stab it when you thrust the nunchaku downward.  I don't think there was mention of how to do a leaping slash.  It may have been the same motion except with the enemy still standing.

I'd wager sword control is still going to be on the nunchaku.  It's Link's sword hand, so it will be a bit more intuitive even if the majority of people who will play the game are right handed.  Plus, the pointer may still be needed, and it will be easier to point and slash at the same time if you don't have to do it with the same hand.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2006, 07:07:26 AM »
Right hand is for the sheild DURRRR

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2006, 07:21:32 AM »
So?  The shield is only known to do two things: block attacks and bash skulls.  Thrusting forward to bash won't interfere with keeping the pointer aimed at the screen, and while I can't remember any mention of how to hold the shield up defensively, I can think of plenty of ways to do it that wouldn't interfere with pointing.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
You forgot reflecting light and Deku projectiles.

DIRECTIONAL CONTROL FTW

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2006, 07:53:27 AM »
You're assuming there will be light reflecting puzzles and Deku projectiles in TP.  It is a Zelda game, though, so I suppose Octorok projectiles are a given.

Besides, the pointer will make directing reflections much easier.  In fact, I'm not sure why we're even exchanging words.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2006, 08:19:41 AM »
Intuitive, yes, easier, not exactly.  You'll still have to be steady (comes with practice, like anything), and aiming reflected light is more about adjustment than point&shoot.  Hold the remote somewhat like the way Link holds a shield (sorta upright in front of your chest) instead of aiming at the screen.

This is a forum.  Forums have words.

Pandas eat cake

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
"Nintendo is betting that the Wii controller is better and they are trying to prove it to us. Why can't you all leave it at that until you play it? Jesus."

Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon.  I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii.  So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay.

I think my assumptions are fair.  First we're taking a game that was originally designed for one controller and shoehorned to fit another.  How often does something like that work out well in the game industry?  The huge difference in the controllers doesn't help particularly regarding the amount of buttons available.  The game apparently played like crap at E3.  That doesn't give me confidence in the abilities of the remote.  If it was as good as Nintendo claims it is then I would assume such a switch would be easier.  If the remote is the new standard then games made for the old standard should convert virtually seamlessly.  And we know that the game can't truly make full use of the remote because it has to work on the Gamecube.  So your sword swinging isn't going to register exactly like your real movements because if the game was designed for that the Cube version wouldn't work.  Logically it's probably going to be gestures substituting buttons which is supremely lame.  How could the sword swinging be anything but gestures?  That wasn't featured in the E3 demo and I think it would take a lot longer than this to completely rehaul everything to have perfect sword swinging.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2006, 09:16:43 AM »
"Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon. I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii. So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay."

You could always try out a demo station, no one said you had to buy to try.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2006, 09:30:18 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
"Well I'm probably not going to play it any time soon. I can save a fair bundle of money by waiting until later to buy a Wii. So I'm not going to buy a Wii just to see for sure that a game I'm really iffy on turned out okay."

You could always try out a demo station, no one said you had to buy to try.

That requires....leaving the house.

A scary proposition indeed.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »
You could try renting the game off of one of those online rental places if you have a fear of leaving your house.

But I mean, honestly, how messed up would the controls be, considering that they've been working on the game for, like, forever.  The game was supposed to come out last year.  Do you really think that in a whole year they haven't spent more than half an hour deciding what kind of Wii controls to implement?

This is The Legend of Zelda.  THE Legend of ZELDA.  A franchise that tops many people's lists as the best ever.  Do you really think that Nintendo's going to screw up one of the most hyped-up games in the series with unplayable controls?  Honestly, Nintendo's not that dumb, and they're not going to change it back if a few people are hesitant that they might actually have to move their arm a little bit to knock a Moblin down.

As said before, you could rent the game first, or just get the GameCube version, if you really have serious issues with "arm movement".

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:45 AM »
If the Wii is wildly successful, I don't expect significant discounts for bundling purposes at any time.