Author Topic: 1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99  (Read 22995 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 05:54:32 AM »
*shrug* I still don't think the base cost of the Wii is close to $99.  When I'm at my computer l'll find my post about why l thought it couldn't be.  l might consider it if the Wii came in a Cube's case, wired Controller, no sensor bar, etc. Not Counting R&D cost you still have to develop manufacturing facilities. all which cost Money.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: 1upyours 8/18/06 Nintendo could sell Wii for $99
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 06:02:24 AM »
I definately do not see a $250 dollar game for the Wii.  However, I do see a $250 experience that is worth investing in.  Which is something that I can say isn't available for Xbox 360 and PS3.  Basically, those systems have nothing new to offer I couldn't play on this generation systems (like everyone else says.)

It is important to note my analogy for buying a system for 1 or 2 games is based on the idea of a Non-gamer or a gamer that dislikes Nintendo trying the system and enjoying it.  They probably have only tried 1 or 2 games that they know they like and therefore are only buying it for that experience right then.  $250 is too much.  $199 and needing to buy the games may be too much.  $150 would be perfect...but that isn't going to happen.

I hope I am wrong and the price is lower but the lowest I can see the Wii launching at is $175.00  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 06:07:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
*shrug* I still don't think the base cost of the Wii is close to $99.  When I'm at my computer l'll find my post about why l thought it couldn't be.  l might consider it if the Wii came in a Cube's case, wired Controller, no sensor bar, etc. Not Counting R&D cost you still have to develop manufacturing facilities. all which cost Money.

Another thing is all the advertising they will have to do for it since it's a new (soon to be current) product. I don't think they are spending a lot on GC advertising now and that's another reason it gets away with being so cheap.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 06:09:00 AM »
The Smash Brothers Game isn't coming out this year.  So the classic controller isn't needed.  Nintendo likes to package that stuff in the games that need it to seem more like a value.  Microphone for Mario Party and Odama, Bongo Drums for Donkey Konga, Dance Pad for Mario Dance, Dance Revolution.

So Nintendo isn't going to confuse people and include the classic controller shell.  BUT, I do agree 2 Wii controllers is a true must.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 06:24:19 AM »
That link doesn't work for me but this is an absolutely ridiculous price.  A week ago didn't a manufacturer suggest that the Wii could be $170 in Japan because a certain chip was cheaper then expected.  That was a surpise lowering of price with a reason.  This100 idea seems like ridiculous speculation from people who don't realize it is not a gamecube with a remote.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »

This100 idea seems like ridiculous speculation from people who don't realize it is not a gamecube with a remote.

QFT  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »
It was reported in July I believe that the Wii was in production already.

I think we can safely say the "750k Wiis" rumor is BS.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 07:59:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
It's also rumored that Sony will ship 700k Wii's to the US for this year.

Am I the only one who finds that piece of info disturbing?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 08:04:38 AM »
lol I didn't even notice that.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 08:10:15 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the 750k Wii shipment in North American is a result of Nintendo putting most of its stock in Japan.  To me it makes perfect sense since Nintendo's focus has always been Japan and coupled with the fact that the DS is selling like hot cakes.  Its looks more and more as Nintendo is focusing first and foremost to capture the Japanese market first and than worry about North America and Europe.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
I call absolute BS on 750k Wiis launched in the US.  The reason being is Nintendo is upping production to meet launch demand.  By years end, I am predicting that Nintendo will have:

2 Million Japan
1.5 Million US
1.5 Million Europe

With a very distinct possibility that US will get .5 million more, and Europe less.

Nintendo already knows its production numbers are going to be greater than Sony, and Nintendo will dominate Japan.  Nintendo must make a solid showing in the US early or it will lose its American 3rd party support.

The more I think about this report the more I realize it is mostly filled with completely inaccurate information.  

$99 although nice is insanely low, and just barely higher than current Gamecube.  Nintendo wants to make money on this system, they NEED to make money on this system, a loss is just completely unacceptable.  When Nintendo stated they didn't expect to see a profit from Wii revenues this coming quarter...I think it is because they are planning to spend major money on advertising, and need to still recoup the R&D on the system.  Which means each unit must bring in more than it costs to make it.  

$199 is definately the targetted price for the Wii...the question is will Nintendo get more aggressive and go even lower?  We will have to wait and see.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2006, 04:37:54 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
I don't see a $250 game at launch for Wii.

I also don't see a $700 game (ever) on PS3.
Ok... correct me if i'm wrong, the one guy that was asked about PS3 really didn't seem too interested in the PS3 except for MG4 and thus... didn't want to pay $700 for the game. Or in otherwords, the $600 system price + tax + 1 game.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »
$199 should be the launch price as that's still a bargain in comparison to the alternatives and drop it to $149 next year to help combat Halo 3 and GTA4.  

And if Metroid Prime 3 was only playable on the $600 PS3, I'd get it. Same goes for Twilight Princess. I'd bet some of you wouldn't be able to resist either.  

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 10:36:12 AM »
I wouldn't....

It's not worth it. Sure, I'd want to play the game real bad, but I'm in college and money isn't something that's really abundant.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »
but friends are.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
$199 should be the launch price as that's still a bargain in comparison to the alternatives and drop it to $149 next year to help combat Halo 3 and GTA4.

Next year?  I thought Microsoft was still hoping to release Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3?

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Next year?  I thought Microsoft was still hoping to release Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3?

It was more of big talk rather than anything concrete.

And I also don't think we will be seeing any price drops so soon.  Halo 3 and GTA 4 will be out in '07 so a price drop so soon doesn't make much sense unless the sales are very poor.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 01:55:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Magik

Originally posted by: JonLeung

It was more of big talk rather than anything concrete.

And I also don't think we will be seeing any price drops so soon.  Halo 3 and GTA 4 will be out in '07 so a price drop so soon doesn't make much sense unless the sales are very poor.

I agree I don't see any price drops in the near future, Xbox 360 is still selling well and GTA4 along with Halo 3 will be out to help bump sales. Unlike Nintendo, MS is losing alot of money on the Xbox 360 system, so a price drop would be stupid if there is no real need for it, all it would do is create a larger hole to dig themselves out of.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 03:33:57 PM »
Selling the Wii for 100 bucks is absolutely ridiculous.  Consumers will think they're getting an inferior product.
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2006, 03:40:22 PM »
Garnee:  Inferior product, blah. blah. blah.  This generation people looking at the in store graphics and price will realize Nintendo Wii isn't the same specs as the other systems, and technically an inferior product.  However, it is also the most original and unique game experience you can have outside of the arcade experience.  A bargin priced system with games people actually want to play will sell if its priced $99 or $199.99  People are not going to look at that $99.99 price and think: "Crap that Nintendo product must be vastly inferior for that price.  I don't care about those games I want to play anymore I must save up for a PS3."

Requiem:  I agree.  I wouldn't buy any game system above $250.  I can't afford it and would have to wait for price cuts.  That even includes Nintendo systems, which have been in my life since the SNES.  And if Nintendo made it an effort to increase prices of games, consoles, controlers and such I would have to give up gaming because of price.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Garnee
Selling the Wii for 100 bucks is absolutely ridiculous.  Consumers will think they're getting an inferior product.

it is an inferior product.

and if Nintendo can sell it at $99 and still turn profit then they better sell it at $99; i'm not a fan of being overcharged.  yes, it does make it seem like a clunker when sitting beside the $599 PS3, but hey, that's Nintendo's fault for taking this strategy.

if i took my GCN to EB to sell they probably wouldn't give me fourty bucks.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2006, 04:10:48 PM »
They more I think about it the more I think they couldn't do it.  We haven't even consider what cut the sellers get of the price tag.  Let me rephrase.  If Nintendo sold the Wii at $99 I'm sure they have to make that up somewhere.  There is only 2 places that could come from.  Licensing fees and higher MSRP.  So what do you want a very reasonable initial price for a system or a very unreasonable price for the games?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
This whole topic is a barrel of LOL...And by LOL I mean I'm actually pretty disgusted by it...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

and if Nintendo can sell it at $99 and still turn profit then they better sell it at $99; i'm not a fan of being overcharged. yes, it does make it seem like a clunker when sitting beside the $599 PS3, but hey, that's Nintendo's fault for taking this strategy.

Nemo, if you honestly believe this, you are an idiot.  Seriously.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
Save the whining until the pricing and packaging info is released.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"