Author Topic: Racing game controls  (Read 4956 times)

Offline DolphENDO

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Racing game controls
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:53:41 AM »
Mr Ass Kicker a.k.a Reggie spoke of a racing game debuting at E3 and that the controls will be done in a very different way.  Well, its just my own guess, but I bet the wii-mote control and the nunchuck unit will be used as a sort of steering wheel.  The nunchuck unit will be left hand on steering wheel while the wii-mote is obvsiously the right hand.  While playing a racing game you'll be moving both hands in a "turning the steering wheel" sort of way.  The z button on the bottom of the wii-mote control can be used as acceleration while simply pulling the 2 controls closer to you fast will be for breaking.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE: Racing game controls
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:08:06 AM »
He says it's going to use the core controller.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:25:39 AM »
What would be the point of having two motion sensors do that? Obviously when you move the left one up, the right would go down the same amount, and if you're using two, and you DON'T do that, then the laws of physics are broken and the world explodes. Just the main Wii remote should be enough I think.

I need a wii-mote that gives more turning.  

Offline Fro

• View Profile
RE:Racing game controls
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 06:27:18 AM »
I think it'll just be the remote turned on its side, and you'll tilt it to turn.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 07:28:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Fro
I think it'll just be the remote turned on its side, and you'll tilt it to turn.

Yeah seems a no-brainer to me.  

Offline DolphENDO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
Well seeing as my idea would generate the feel of ACTUALLY driving the car, I thought my idea was pretty awesome.  Still do.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »
Because the most obvious guesses = "a very different way".
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Because the most obvious guesses = "a very different way".

a very different way than we're used to. I think it'll involve "manually shiting gears"/ "pulling the parking brake" with one hand

and

steering with the other hand.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
Unfortunately, I think Dolph's idea makes the most sense.

First of all, if you used the Wiimote wand on-end as a steering wheel, it would feel like you were driving a British car(Right side steering wheel rather than Left).  Fine for the British, a little awkward for Americans.  
Second of all,  your right arm cannot twist to the left as easily as it can twist to the right, causing a little arm strain on left-hand turns.  Not a big deal, but in the long run can result in stressed arms.

Dolph's idea would remove the strain, and would allow equal turning capabillity in either direction.  As well as make the driving feel a little more realistic.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I want a Motorcycle game.  Where you can Line by tilting the Wiimote and such.  I think it would be a fresh and engaging Racer.

I also would love a return of those Top Down racers, where the entire track is in view as a party game.  The Wiimote could be used to stir and that would be brilliant fun with four players.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I want a Motorcycle game.  Where you can Line by tilting the Wiimote and such.  I think it would be a fresh and engaging Racer.

I also would love a return of those Top Down racers, where the entire track is in view as a party game.  The Wiimote could be used to stir and that would be brilliant fun with four players.
extreme g wii

It could be even faster paced because of the instinctive controls.

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 06:46:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Edfishy

First of all, if you used the Wiimote wand on-end as a steering wheel, it would feel like you were driving a British car(Right side steering wheel rather than Left).  Fine for the British, a little awkward for Americans.  
Second of all,  your right arm cannot twist to the left as easily as it can twist to the right, causing a little arm strain on left-hand turns.  Not a big deal, but in the long run can result in stressed arms.

I think you may misunderstand.  I think you would hold the controller like an NES controller, with the secondary a and b buttons in your right hand, and the d-pad/big A in your left.  You could easily turn the wheel 90 degrees in each direction.    a and b would be accelleration and brakes and dpad/A would control items and/or gear shifting.  The nunchuck wouldn't be needed.

At least, that's how I tried to play NES racing games :-)

Offline 1day

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »

Originally posted by: eljefe

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

extreme g wii

It could be even faster paced because of the instinctive controls.

XG3 was nearly uncontrollable at his highest speed levels and XGRA simply wasn't fast nor balanced enough. Hopefully, a new and definitive XG will come out for this system so that there's something beside F-Zero standing at the top.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 07:44:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

I need a wii-mote that gives more turning.

Haha.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
Another way could be to use the Wiimote to steer and the nunchuk to shift gears (since it has an accelerometer, it would be simply moving it)

Originally Posted by Edfishy
First of all, if you used the Wiimote wand on-end as a steering wheel, it would feel like you were driving a British car(Right side steering wheel rather than Left). Fine for the British, a little awkward for Americans.

not really, if you look carefully, both the Wiimote and the nunchuk fit both hands prefectly, so you simply switch hands
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 11:23:43 AM »
It's a sequal to Kirby Air Ride.  You lift the remote up to go and lower it to break.  No turning.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 11:31:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
not really, if you look carefully, both the Wiimote and the nunchuk fit both hands prefectly, so you simply switch hands

Thats true, but it would be a little awkward to get used to considering that were all used to having the primary analog stick in our left hands
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »
no

because you wouldn't even be using the analog stick

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 11:27:43 AM »
I think Jensen might have been suggesting this, but I was considering the controls last night, and realized I've been wrong.

Like some others here, I thought of playing with the controller held up in front of me and turning it left and right, much like a real steering wheel.

Now I'm thinking a second way is possible that might not be quite as similar to actual driving, but it might be more comfortable and natural.  Instead of holding the controller up, perpendicular to the ground, you hold it in your lap, parallel to the ground as usual, and you tilt it left and right.  This is how I used to play racing games (tilting left and right, not holding the controller up and turning it like a steering wheel).

I'm guessing Nintendo will either use tilting rather than turning, or maybe we'll be allowed to choose between the two.  I was thinking of how the remote might work with Mario Kart...hop by flicking, turn by tilting, powerslide-boosting by tilting back and forth after hopping...you'd really get into controlling the Kart directly, I think it would be easier and a lot more natural than the current Mario Kart controls.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX