Author Topic: The Wii Era Is Over. Thoughts?  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: The Wii Era Is Over. Thoughts?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
MagicCow64:

Excellent Post.  To me I wonder how much these software droughts really matter in the long run.  So many games come out every year, heck every month.  And you can cherry pick and only play the best of the best,, but that still leaves a lot of games worth playing that are being overlooked.  So, you can go back to the backlog and play older games...and I know that doesn't justify droughts, but I think the impact of them is not that big of a deal.

I still believe you can get a good dose of enjoyment and gaming fix, by just owning one system.  You might miss out on one or two games...but you aren't missing out on the world.  Plus, gaming is an expensive hobby, if you played every game that was worth playing on all the systems and only payed half price for all your games...you would STILL have to have a huge bank roll to do that. 

The Wii's library wasn't deep, but it was diverse and interesting, and had some great innovations, and an overall enjoyable experience...anyone that looks at Magiccows list of games and says the Wii was a failure is crazy.  From a gamer point of view the Wii brought some great games only playable on the Wii.

If I get back into gaming, I will be more selective my time and money is important to me...and I really only want to play a select few games these days.  So maybe I am not a normal gamer anymore.  But the Wii to me was an excellent system...and I hope Nintendo continues to grow and improve, but still be Nintendo.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Even the Christmas Gift exchanges and secret Santa were awesome here. 

Thanks! I had hoped it was seen as more of a way for the community here to get tighter and not just people in it for 'free' games :)

I wanted to try one for this year with Wii U but I don't know much about the shop they have in place now.

so now I'm like one of those people in Nintendo's 3DS ads who proudly proclaim "I am not a gamer!"

You an me both sista!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
The impact of a drought is a personal one.  Yeah you can always go back and play older games you missed but for me, if I skipped it I probably did that on purpose because I'm not interested in that game.  So if there is not a somewhat steady release of games I'm essentially playing nothing.  There are odd times where a couple games I'm really interested in come out around the same time and one of them is put on the backburner to be purchases at a later time but it's not common.  I got Skyward Sword last Christmas and when I went to put it in the Wii I ejected DKC Returns, the game I got for the PREVIOUS Christmas.  An entire year had gone by without a new Wii game getting any play.  I had the money, I had the time but I just sat there waiting and waiting while Nintendo released nothing.

The thing is that other systems have a steady enough release of games and have good third party support that one always has enough variety to feel like there's something new to play.  With post-SNES Nintendo systems it's often like "okay here's the big game for this quarter.  Oh, I'm not interested in it?  I guess I'm waiting for half a year then."  Other systems don't have that.  You don't even think of it.  Games are just being released on a regular basis.  I don't see any justification to put up with something if Nintendo is the ONLY company that asks you to put up with it.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »
You were disappointed with Brawl and Skyward Sword?  :confused;

Absolutely.
Gouge away.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
My thoughts on the Wii: Nintendo was running an interesting game, too bad nobody wanted to play it seriously.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
Imagine a country that didn't even existed 20 years ago.

A country where piracy is the norm and people never even heard of consoles. Or if they did, they think of Dendy or something.

That's where i live. PC is the king, and most people don't even know consoles exists. Personally i didn't even knew PS2 was even a thing until... 2010, i think? And i played a LOT of games. It's just that all of it was on PC/Steam.

Funny how it all came to be. I remember i randomly stumbled upon Scribblenauts description or something and it blew my mind from programmer's perspective -- how's that even possible, and then i knew it actually runs on some gadget called Nintendo DS (yeah, never heard of that one before, too). In January 2011 i got my DS and it opened me a door to something i never knew before: console/handheld gaming.

So one goes after another, after DS i bought 3DS in April and then a Wii in July. I remember getting the box, unpacking and installing it at the morning and then running off to work leaving it to my sister with Mario Kart on.

Then was Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Mario Galaxy 2 and 1 (i played both at the same time and started from 2 so it's really hard for me to separate them, they're kinda mixed in a awesome blur of fun and sheer awesomeness), Wii Sports and Just Dance.

Last two games were kinda surreal because of how much my sisters and aunt and mom got into them. Seeing them playing these two games, jumping around and getting agitated was really awesome.

I also remember that night when i brought my Wii and my two DK Bongos to my friend's home and we had an awesome gaming night, me friend and his gf. We played it again together a few weeks later with two more guys and lots of booze -- the best fun i had with videogames ever.

I remember how frustrated i got when i was losing in coin battles in NSMB Wii and other three guys last time played Mario on NES knockoffs! Yeah, i was drunk, but so were they...

This year, two of those friends got themselves a Wiis of their own and it was just so awesome to discuss with someone in real life how "9-7 is a bitch" and "yeah desert world is a real drag to play".

I can't wait till i will play NSMB U with them.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks