Author Topic: Pokedex for iOS Available in the US  (Read 7921 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Pokedex for iOS Available in the US
« on: December 11, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »

Nintendo and The Pokemon Company released an official app on the iOS App Store.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32767

The Pokedex for iOS app is now available on the official App Store on iOS platforms. The reference app bears a striking resemblance to the previously released Pokedex 3D Pro for the 3DS, though each has unique features. All 647 Pokemon (and their alternate forms) are available in the application via in-app purchases. It is a universal app so a single purchase works on iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads. It requires iOS 6.0.

Users of the app are able to use extensive search options to discover Pokemon. Once viewing a Pokemon, they can see a unique animation, hear their cry, see their stats, and understand their abilities. The app is also capable of storing custom notes for each monster.

The app can be downloaded for $1.99. The initial download features entries for Pokemon #494-647 (The Unova Region). Pokemon from Kanto (#1-151), Johto (#152-251), Hoenn (#252-386), and Sinnoh (#387-493) can be added via in-app purchases. Each region's set costs $5.99. Therefore, to outfit the app with every Pokemon, the final cost of Pokedex for iOS would be $25.95.

Note: There are many nonofficial Pokedex apps available on the App Store. At the time of this writing a simple search for 'Pokedex' will not reveal the official app from The Pokemon Company. It is recommended that you search for 'Pokedex for iOS' as a phrase and make sure you are downloading the one provided by The Pokemon Company.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Pokedex for iOS Available in The US
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
I don't have a iOS device and don't plan on getting one ever. I hope this will come out for Android devices since I know I'll be getting one eventually.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »
Nintendo went third party! Happy now, Hard Core gamerz?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
The arguments about that on other sites are cringe worthy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
How can there be non-official Pokémon apps on the iPhone? Isn't that copyright infringement or something?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
I don't know. How do strategy guides work? It could be the same principle. Or, they just may word things in such a way to not directly name Pokemon. For instance, there was an app to calculate your score while watching Jeopardy but they never refer to Jeopardy by name just as "That Quiz Show" even though it is clearly set up to be used for a Jeopardy board and goes by their money totals.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
$1.99 I can justify, $26 for the whole thing? That is stupid and way overpriced. And requiring iOS 6 means I can use it on my iPad.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
How can there be non-official Pokémon apps on the iPhone? Isn't that copyright infringement or something?

Yes. And now that Pokemon Company has an official app on the store, they can go hard-ass on all of them. Which is probably why this thing exists in the first place.

$1.99 I can justify, $26 for the whole thing? That is stupid and way overpriced. And requiring iOS 6 means I can use it on my iPad.

Or you can use websites for free. Or get the National Pokedex book off Amazon for $13.

The arguments about that on other sites are cringe worthy.

Second.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

Or you can use websites for free. Or get the National Pokedex book off Amazon for $13.

Yeah, I know. Does me no good if I don't have a Internet connection and don't want to be dragging a book around with me. Nor do those online ones have the features of this one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline delebreaub

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • StreetPass WI
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »

No, you have to remember, this app was released by The Pokemon Company International. They are not directly a part of Nintendo, they just happen to work with Nintendo of the video game series.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
How much of the Pokemon company does Nintendo own?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

No, you have to remember, this app was released by The Pokemon Company International. They are not directly a part of Nintendo, they just happen to work with Nintendo of the video game series.

You do know that Pokemon Company is 100% owned by Nintendo? They are like Retro Studios or Intelligent Systems in that they are subsidiaries of Nintendo. So, yes, they ARE directly part of Nintendo.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
Iwata looked at this and said "WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS!?!?"

Offline delebreaub

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • StreetPass WI
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

You do know that Pokemon Company is 100% owned by Nintendo? They are like Retro Studios or Intelligent Systems in that they are subsidiaries of Nintendo. So, yes, they ARE directly part of Nintendo.

While TPCi is owned by Nintendo, they are still a subsidiary, which means they work independently from Nintendo.

I take this quote from the following IGN article:

Quote from: IGN
Please keep in mind that The Pokémon Company International is a subsidiary of Nintendo - the two companies are not one and the same. In other words, this development in no way contradicts Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's past commentsabout abstaining from releasing game-related content on mobile devices - nor does it reflect a change in this long-held standpoint. As a subsidiary, The Pokémon Company is, in many ways, separate from Nintendo - that's why it was able to do this, and why Pokémon-related iOS apps have already been released in Japan prior to this.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Pokedex for iOS Available in the US
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
They're still under the control of Nintendo. If Nintendo didn't want them to make that iPhone app, they wouldn't have been able to. They can use all the double talk they want to, the fact is, Nintendo authorized it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »
I see this as a smart move, actually. There's been a ton of Pokedex apps and stuff for iOS and Android devices, so why not let the people who actually own Pokemon get their share of the pie? And besides, the price is about the same for the 3DS version and it has a crap ton of stuff in it. I think it's actually a rather nice move of them to expand to people who don't have 3DSes or use them as much as their iStuff (personally I think it'd be easier to whip out my iPod to check something and not have to worry about having an Internet connection or having to boot up my 3DS or end a game and wait through all the load times) and, at the same time, their market.

That's my stance on it, anyway. I'm no business professional or whatever.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
I thought TPC was only 2/3rds owned by Nintendo?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
1/3 Nintendo, 1/3 Creatures (wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo) and 1/3 GameFreak (independent company).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
Even if it's only 2/3, they still means Nintendo dictates everything they can and can't do since they are majority owner. Mataata, this is far more expensive than the 3DS app. The 3DS one is $15, this one is $26 for the same. If this was 15, I might get it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:41 PM »
Nintendo owns Creatures? How do you guys know that?

And quoting Wikipedia is not a good source.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:14 PM »
Even if it's only 2/3, they still means Nintendo dictates everything they can and can't do since they are majority owner.

Not being privy to their contractual arrangements, I can't say for sure one way or another.

It's highly possible that Game Freak has a clause that allows them some exemptions in making/licensing limited Pokémon-based applications for non-Nintendo devices. 
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 12:31:37 AM »
I don't see why Nintendo isn't more open to mobile development. I'm not talking games; I mean stuff like a real Miiverse app instead of just a web interface, or something along the lines of Microsft's Xbox Live app to let you see what your friends are doing and maybe buy things on the eShop, you know, companion apps.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
I don't see why Nintendo isn't more open to mobile development. I'm not talking games; I mean stuff like a real Miiverse app instead of just a web interface, or something along the lines of Microsft's Xbox Live app to let you see what your friends are doing and maybe buy things on the eShop, you know, companion apps.

I'm pretty sure Iwata is planning those things. He did say mobile devices should be complimentary devices, not competitors.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
1/3 Nintendo, 1/3 Creatures (wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo) and 1/3 GameFreak (independent company).

I thought this was the breakdown for the rights to Pokemon, and that TPC was wholly owned by Nintendo and created solely to manage the licensing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.