Author Topic: NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge  (Read 3686 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:45:31 AM »
They'll form a company that creates helpful tools and technologies for game developers.

NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge to Create the Premier Tools, Technology and Platform Provider to the Games Market      

CALABASAS, Calif. and CHAPEL HILL, N.C., (August 18, 2005)  - Emergent Game Technologies, a venture capital funded developer of the Emergent Platformâ„¢, a suite of video game tools and online infrastructure,  and NDL, a leading developer of 3D graphics technology for the computer and video game industry, have merged.  The combined company, Emergent Game Technologies, will deliver the most comprehensive and innovative tools and technologies that game developers need to create better games on time and on budget.      

"Through licensing of the Gamebryo graphics engine and tools since 1997, NDL has developed a reputation of delivering solid and flexible technology while providing superior customer support.   We will build on that experience and reputation as we develop a full modular pipeline solution including tools, infrastructure and services to game developers and publishers worldwide," said Geoffrey Selzer, chief executive officer of Emergent Game Technologies.  "Our customers are our primary concern and you will be seeing creative partnerships and business models emerge that will serve the industry extremely well."  Selzer will be the chief executive officer of the merged companies.    

"We are excited to be able to deliver additional technologies beyond our Gamebryo 3D graphics engine and tools," said John Austin, chief executive officer of NDL.  "The creative, engineering and financial resources that Emergent brings to the combined company provide a tremendous fit with NDL's established customers and products.  This merger will enable us to dramatically grow our engineering, sales, and marketing organizations.  Combined, we will provide the most complete and flexible solution to game developers and publishers in the market."  Austin will become senior vice president of business development and strategy in the combined company.    

Sid Meier, partner and director of creative development at Firaxis Games, said of the merger, "Firaxis has had an outstanding long-term partnership with NDL.  We are excited about Emergent's vision and the additional resources they'll deliver to expand and improve the Gamebryo 3D graphics product line – a technology with which we have been delighted.  The new tools and technologies in their portfolio will address even more infrastructure challenges in the development process, enabling us to maintain our focus on creating great gameplay and content."    

Emergent Game Technologies is headquartered in Los Angeles (Calabasas), Calif., with product development located in Calabasas, Chapel Hill, N.C. and Walnut Creek, Calif.  Sales and marketing is based in Chapel Hill and a sales office will open in Europe later in the third quarter.  Emergent is aggressively hiring software developers at all three of the company's U.S. sites.    

About NDL  NDL, headquartered in Chapel Hill, N.C., is an independent developer of highly flexible 3D graphics software used by leading game publishers and developers such as Atari, Vivendi Universal Games, Firaxis, Mythic Entertainment, Bethesda Softworks, and Irrational Games. The company's flagship product, the Gamebryo graphics engine and toolkit, is the culmination of two decades of 3D graphics expertise.   Developers using NDL's Gamebryo can spend their time making Microsoft Windows®, Xbox®, the Xbox 360® platform, PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 and GameCube® games look great and play well, saving time and money in the process. To learn more, please visit www.ndl.com.      

About Emergent Game Technologies  Founded in 2000, Emergent Game Technologies provides software, tools and infrastructure for the video game and military simulation industries.  These products include a highly optimized platform, The Emergent Platformâ„¢ for online games, based on open standards, that provides unparalleled scalability, reliability and performance, as well as software automation tools, metrics and analytics that enhance developers ability to build and test their games, ensuring on time and on budget delivery.  To learn more visit www.emergentgametech.com.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
Developers using NDL's Gamebryo can spend their time making Microsoft Windows®, Xbox®, the Xbox 360® platform, PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 and GameCube® games look great and play well, saving time and money in the process.

My first thought was, "look great and play well?  That's kind of underwhelming.  But on second thought NDL should get some credit for being honest...there's no way quality graphics tools are going to make a game play any better.

I don't know much about either company, but they don't belong to EA yet, so I wish them well.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »
If EA don't get them, Epic will.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
RE:NDL and Emergent Game Technologies Merge
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:36:34 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey

Originally posted by: PGC NewsBot
Developers using NDL's Gamebryo can spend their time making Microsoft Windows®, Xbox®, the Xbox 360® platform, PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 and GameCube® games look great and play well, saving time and money in the process.

My first thought was, "look great and play well?  That's kind of underwhelming.  But on second thought NDL should get some credit for being honest...there's no way quality graphics tools are going to make a game play any better.

I don't know much about either company, but they don't belong to EA yet, so I wish them well.

Why wouldn't it help gameplay be better? First of all, this helps lesses the developments resources and time spent on making the game look good. Which increases time for honing the game's control, more time for ideas, etc. Plus it can make it easier just to make a game, and certain elements in it. Tools like these are very important, not just for how the game looks. And even good games can be ruined from choppiness or something like that. Lag actually affects gameplay ya` know.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:43:20 AM »
That is, of course, assuming that the developer in question is willing to work on their gameplay elements...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:47:07 AM »
"Developers using NDL's Gamebryo can spend their time making Microsoft Windows®, Xbox®, the Xbox 360® platform, PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 and GameCube® games look great and play well, saving time and money in the process."

Wow!  Xbox, Playstation 2, AND Gamecube.  I'm sure the two developers who are gong to start brand new projects for those consoles at this point in time are thrilled.

No mention of the Rev.  Is it not supported or is this one of those "we don't mention the Rev because Nintendo's mindshare in the gaming industry is about on par with the Washington Capitals' popularity in the NHL" scenarios?  

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:45:51 PM »
They, like I'm sure 90% of the gaming industry haven't mentioned it because they don't know what it is.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:46:14 AM »
Why wouldn't it help gameplay be better? First of all, this helps lesses the developments resources and time spent on making the game look good. Which increases time for honing the game's control, more time for ideas, etc.

Not exactly, those are different departments.