Author Topic: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS  (Read 27494 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
I also still think the peripheral story could be entirely fake.

It's not.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
Well, also consider the western market loves their FPS's so if Nintendo wants the call of duty
fanboys to buy their system, they have to add a second anolog.
when a parent is faced with $170 dollar 3ds's or $250 Vitas for their 3 boys to play a
CoD game, the lesser choise is prefered.
but thats speculation. and i don'thave gold, i just sell some drugs for the gaming
 itch. (Sarcasm)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
If parents are thinking of getting Call of Duty for their kids, why not just get it with Xbox 360 and 2 controllers? That's cheaper than three 3DS'sesses and three copies of the game.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
If parents are thinking of getting Call of Duty for their kids, why not just get it with Xbox 360 and 2 controllers? That's cheaper than three 3DS'sesses and three copies of the game.

Because they can't take a 360 along on car trips. Plus multiple kids sharing a single console or anything tends to lead to disaster. Its better if they each have their own.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
ok heres the deal, we all know there will be a redesign of the 3ds, which is why i didn't buy the original in the first place.
those who did are fucked...
sort of
concession. bulky Circle pad add-on, at least you can play. Complain? You should have known better. Its ugly, but i bet still functional and probably even comfortable. So when 3ds+ comes out, that's what i'll get.  expect 3ds+ to be announced when all the badassed WiiU games are.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
Ah.....Wii U connectivity. But we all knew that was gonna happen....

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
This was announced awhile ago, not really sure what's the big deal.

It's an addon just like any other, true I rather what for the redesign 3DS lite but at least this will make sure those that have the older model can still play games that require two analogs.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
Looks like someone took the cradle charger and added some crappy home-made plastic mod.  Looks faker then fake to me.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
ok heres the deal, we all know there will be a redesign of the 3ds, which is why i didn't buy the original in the first place.
those who did are fucked...
sort of
concession. bulky Circle pad add-on, at least you can play. Complain? You should have known better. Its ugly, but i bet still functional and probably even comfortable. So when 3ds+ comes out, that's what i'll get.  expect 3ds+ to be announced when all the badassed WiiU games are.

As a consumer I "should have known better?"?  Are you serious?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
Sorry but as a company if I get my consumer base is to the point where they wait for the revision as a mantra.  I'm doing it wrong.  I at that point need to design 2 versions of hardware at the get go.  The Awful first revision and the better second revision.  Take a loss on the first revision in good will and money so, I can be profitable on the second.  That is just terrible business sense and you should strive to reverse that thinking.  Its easier for people to wait as long as they think something better will be around soon, like a new revision, not a desirable place to be.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »
I would just like to point out that the DSi is really the first time that a revision added some functionality that made some new games not playable on the old models, and even that was largely download games that most people didn't care too much about. And that revision wasn't the first revision of the DS, it was the second one, and it was introduced about five years after the DS. Systems like the Game Boy Pocket and Game Boy Advance SP don't have any exclusive games that won't play on an older model, nor do they have any features accessible only on the new model.

If a revision happens soon, it would be unprecedented for Nintendo, both in that it's introduced very early, and that it would add functionality to games and could potentially split the userbase. So, I wouldn't say that anyone should have seen that coming, and it would be a very bad thing for Nintendo to do.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
I would just like to point out that the DSi is really the first time that a revision added some functionality that made some new games not playable on the old models

Gameboy Color.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
That was a new system, not a revision (I know some people will try and claim it was a revision, but it WASN'T).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
Whatever you want to call it, the GBC and DSi are nearly identical in the types of changes they brought.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
I understand the reasoning behind the comparisons of the GBC and DSi, and also why some people don't consider the GBC a successor. But as far as I'm concerned, one of the things that determines a successor is the marketplace. The Game Boy Color replaced the original Game Boy on store shelves, and all new games were GBC games and soon could no longer be played on a GB. The same cannot be said of the DSi, which is sold alongside the DS Lite and the number of retail exclusives could probably be counted on one hand.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
The big difference is that the GBC was successful while the DSi was like some weird joke only suckers bought.  What really defines a videogame system is the format.  GBC was a common format of games with many games that could only be played on the GBC so I see it as a seperate system from the original Game Boy.  The DSi technically had unique games as well, though they were very obscure.  Did any retail DSi only games come out in North America or were they all DSi Ware?

The DSi is like the SuperGrafx.  It's a unique format but had dick all games released for it.

Now the DS Lite is NOT a different format so it is just a variation of the DS.  There is no such thing as a DS Lite game or GBA SP game.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Whatever you want to call it, the GBC and DSi are nearly identical in the types of changes they brought.

Exactly. The GBC only added color to the games and nothing else.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »

Exactly. The GBC only added color to the games and nothing else.
Except that the GBC had twice the RAM and a faster CPU, so new games could run more smoothly than GB games. Just compare Tetris Attack to Pokémon Puzzle Challenge for an example of this.

I wouldn't deny that the GBC was an uninspired successor that added little to new games, but I still view it as a successor.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Well, that was my point. The DSi has 4x the RAM and 2x the processor speed of the DS/DSL. The only real difference was that Nintendo didn't give the DSi enough time to build up before releasing their next system.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
Did Nintendo release any retail exclusives for the DSi?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
Why do only retail releases count? There were hundreds of games on DSiWare.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
While Nintendo did not release any retail exclusive DSi titles, there were three DSi-only titles - System Flaw (very similar to Face Raiders on the 3DS), Foto Showdown and something else...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Because retail is a much larger market that more people care about. And the DSi didn't replace the DS on store shelves like the GBC replaced the GB. Also, if Nintendo and other companies didn't switch over to making retail DSi games, maybe they didn't think of it as a successor either. That wasn't the case with the GBC, where all new Game Boy games were GBC games even if some of them were still playable on a GB.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
There are several "DSi" games that are also playable on DS. One difference is that there wasn't an appreciable change in features or performance, so you don't notice it and/or there wasn't a reason to highlight the difference and confuse consumers. The other thing is that the initial GBC games were all backwards compatible. The DSi didn't really last beyond the equivalent initial period to the point where we would see many DSi-exclusive games. If the 3DS hadn't come out, I'm pretty sure we would have. All that's beside the point though because the bigger fact is that the business model is/was changing, so to declare retail the deciding factor is absurd.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with declaring the vastly larger retail market as the deciding factor. It almost sounds as if the DSi is sidestepping into a different market the way you describe it...

But as I said, it's debatable if the Game Boy Color was a successor and it always will be. It doesn't change my original point, though. Even if one were to consider the Game Boy Color a revision, it was still the second (or third in Japan) revision, and it was released 9 years after the original Game Boy. So if Nintendo were to soon release a 3DS revision that added functionality, it would be unprecedented based on history. Sure, things change, but then I'd get into how it's a bad idea because games are (or should be) what sell a system.