Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 477989 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 02:09:55 AM »
Or you just might not be able to communicate with the games that don't have WiiSpeak. I'm rather shocked that the feature wasn't included in Japan. Feels like a no-brainer to me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
I started playing MHFU again this week and I really like it.  It has the trappings of an MMORPG, but it's actually a modified version of a common MMORPG game mechanic: material gathering and crafting.  For those unfamiliar with how crafting typically works in MMOs, you perform certain tasks to get certain materials that allow you to create certain things.  MH is similar in structure, and here's how the gameplay basically works.

1) You accept a quest and enter a wilderness zone with a specified time limit (say, 60 minutes).
2) You kill a monster or monsters, or perform harvesting activities like mining ore, gathering herbs, catching bugs, etc.
3) Monster kills drop materials (e.g. Dragon Scales), and harvesting nets you different kinds of ore, plants, insects, etc.
4) When your quest is complete, you return to town and create new armor/weapons or augment your existing armor/weapons with the new materials.
5) Accept another quest and repeat.

This may sound simple (and repetitive), but there is a lot of depth within this basic formula.  Each type of monster has its own AI behavior, strengths, and weaknesses.  You're given very little in the way of hints on how to beat each beast, so there's a lot of "discovery" involved.  You also have the choice of killing a creature (drops normal materials) or tranquilizing it and trapping it (drops rare materials, but harder to accomplish because you need to know the monster's "tell", which indicates when it is weakened and therefore trappable).  And of course, the creation and augmentation of armor and weapons is a game unto itself.  Gathering rare materials and creating a bad-ass sword or chestplate is incredibly satisfying (the armor designs are excellent).

Layer on top of this the ability to play with three other people online and you have quite a package.  I haven't played with multiple hunters, but planning and executing strategies ("You go over there and attack, and when he flinches I'll hit him with the tranquilizer, then you lay the trap") would be awesome.  If you put the time in (there's a ton of reading if you want to learn about every monster), Monster Hunter is super-fun.  And while the camera control is goofy at first, it eventually becomes second nature.

After playing MHFU a little bit more, I'm super-hyped for Tri.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
After reading what you just posted about MHFU, I'm getting pretty jazzed for Tri.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
Another cool resource is Capcom's...

Encyclopedia Gigantica

...which lists all of the monsters.  There are hundreds of them in MHFU, along with more than 400 missions.  I don't know what the numbers are like for Monster Hunter Tri, but I'm sure they'll be similar.  A cool wrinkle they've added to Tri is the ability to battle monsters underwater, which I'm sure will mean new types of armor and different types of gear/monster weaknesses and resistances to deal with.

In MHFU they also made soloing missions a little easier by allowing you to hire an NPC character (the cat-like Felynes) to help you.  In Tri you'll also be able to do this, but the Felynes have been replaced with little tribal guys called Cha-Cha.  Apparently the behavior of the Cha-Chas differ depending on what tribal masks they're wearing.

One good thing that Capcom is doing with Tri is having the beginning of the game (the first 10 hours or so) presented as an interactive tutorial that is played through organically.  In MHFU the first 10 hours of the game are kind of torturous, as you have to wade through a lot of menus and text-walls that describe the finer details of gameplay.  It can get very tedious for the impatient or uncommitted as it's all very "manual"; in Tri, the game should lead you along through various beginner-level quests and tasks, teaching you the basics of gameplay along the way.  As a player who has muddled his way through this initial learning exercise, the interactive tutorial will be incredibly helpful for those completely unfamiliar with the franchise.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »
The Shen-Moran online event is the one I'm the most psyched about. The players are on some sand-sailing ship in a desert attacking something that's bigger than the ship itself with canons, occasionally jumping onto its back to wail away at weak points.

By the way due to recent...stuff I may not be available around launch. If there's a TV around I'll be leveling up offline though.
Mission...complete?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
April 20.  Mark that date on your calendars, folks.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
Frickin' STOKED.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
Thought I'd mention it in this thread too so everyone can get a chance but you can pre-order the Tri/CC Pro bundle on Amazon and get a $10 credit which is like getting the controller for free.
My Game Collection

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Count me in solid.  And Tuesday night is good for me, too.  :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 05:00:43 AM »
Now I want to play Jet Force Gemini for some random reason ;)

(that's my way of saying I love your avatar)
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 08:11:29 AM »
After the release date announcement I went to check out some videos, and this looks interesting. I'll probably pick this up. Tuesdays are good for me; that's my lightest day of classes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
After the release date announcement I went to check out some videos, and this looks interesting. I'll probably pick this up. Tuesdays are good for me; that's my lightest day of classes.

Words With Friends, Chess With Friends, and now Monster Hunter Tri?  I'm going to be suffering from Insano-OVERLOAD.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2010, 02:13:51 AM »
If you're sick of me now, just wait until I'm through heckling you at PAX.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:21 AM »
Lindy has confirmed that the game is region-specific, which means that we of North America can't play this game with those of you in Europe or Australia. That's a bummer.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 04:00:18 AM »
Are we sure that's not just a separation of Japan (the pay-to-play region) versus the other areas? How specific is this region specific segregation confirmation?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:30 AM »
Here is the quote from Lindy:
Mop_it_up, Capcom just confirmed that the online play is region-specific.  In other words, North American players will only be able to play with North American players.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2010, 05:31:11 AM »
Phooey...
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
Yup, it looks like it's that region-specific.  I'm trying to get clarification on that exact point, and will let you know when I do.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »
Lindy has confirmed that the game is region-specific, which means that we of North America can't play this game with those of you in Europe or Australia. That's a bummer.

That really does suck. It was my full intention to buy this at launch -- being the optimistic fool that I am, I didn't expect a region lock.

I'm really not sure what to do now. I still want to play Monster Hunter Tri, but it is my understanding that the game is best appreciated online. Well, I read a fair number of websites, but this is the only forum I regularly visit, and the majority of this site's readership is in the States. This forum is the one place where I kind of know people, the one place where I was planning to go to add friends and I'm not going to be able to play with hardly any of you. Bugger.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
Indeed, this is disappointing news for The Club.  However, The Chairman will soldier on.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »

That really does suck. It was my full intention to buy this at launch -- being the optimistic fool that I am, I didn't expect a region lock.

I'm really not sure what to do now. I still want to play Monster Hunter Tri, but it is my understanding that the game is best appreciated online. Well, I read a fair number of websites, but this is the only forum I regularly visit, and the majority of this site's readership is in the States. This forum is the one place where I kind of know people, the one place where I was planning to go to add friends and I'm not going to be able to play with hardly any of you. Bugger.

Well, you can play with anyone in the PAL region, right? So there is KDR, Plugabugz, Greg and a few others who are from parts of Europe as well, right? Perhaps you could start a 'Call to Arms' thread asking for interested Europeans to post and join up with you? You never know, I'm surprised every now and again at who is actually from Europe. Is Australia considered a different region from Europe even though they tend to get the same VC/WW releases?
My Game Collection

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:06 PM »
Got the demo today & I'm glad I did. These controls will take some practice. Took me 3 tries to take down Great Jaggi.
Mission...complete?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
The demo's out already? Looks like I'm headin' to GS this weekend...
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
The demo is just a free disc from Gamestop right?
I wonder if I could get my hands on one...
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
Yeah, the guy said that they had just came.

Free as long as you reserved the actual game. I reserved it a week ago but after he confirmed that I did he handed the disc over.
Mission...complete?