Author Topic: Wii U Press Event Set for September 13 in New York City  (Read 6228 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Wii U Press Event Set for September 13 in New York City
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

I'd wager a lot of money that we will find out the launch date, line-up, and price on this day.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31389

Nintendo is holding a Wii U press event in New York City on September 13. It will begin with a presentation hosted by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime that will  be focused on "learning more about how the Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment." There will be hands-on demos for the press following the presentation.

The event seems to be similar to the 3DS pre-release press event, which happened at the end of January 2011, roughly two months before the 3DS launch, and the Wii pre-release press event, which happened in mid-September 2006, roughly two months before the Wii launch.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Press Event Set for September 13 in New York City
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Crap.  Seriously?  Three weeks from now?  I was hoping for next week at the latest.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
This is basically what I assumed. 

Guaranteed: Release date and price.
Hopeful: Trailer for Retro's new game.
Doubtful: Teaser for Smash Bros.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
So its November 18th.  Way to be very disappointing Nintendo.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
Certainly later than I expected, and plenty of us were thinking it would be revealed via Nintendo Direct, but I guess I'm just glad we're getting 1st-part info period.  I guess this way, too, regular news outlets are more likely to catch wind of the announcement, making more people aware it's a new console (if only a few).

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

So its November 18th.  Way to be very disappointing Nintendo.

Gamecube - November 18th 2001

DS - November 21, 2004

Wii - November 19th, 2006

Seriously, this is why it shouldn't be a surprise the Wii U is being released in mid November.  I said it would be released in November 2012 back when the Wii U was first announced as Project Cafe back in April 2011, and guess what, I was 100% right.  You know why I was right, because I live in reality and in reality Nintendo is a very predicable company when it comes to releases.  They've made it very clear in the last decade that they want all their systems to be released in mid November in North America to get full advantage of Black Friday and the upcoming Holiday season.

The only system in the last decade to not have a November release was the 3DS but that's because it got delayed.  Nintendo originally did intend for the 3DS to get a Fall release as well but things certain things were ready in time.  With the Wii U though everything is ready which is why it's going to be released in November because that's when Nintendo likes to release their systems in North America and no one should be surprised that they're releasing a new system at the same time the last 3 our of 4 system were released.

Plus I need to remind people for the millionth time the N64 and Gamecube were doing way worse then the Wii currently is and yet their successors still waited until November to be released.  With the Wii still much better even at the end of it's life then the previous two home consoles were, it was beyond foolish to ever expect anything before November.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »
A November release date is not surprising at all.  I just think Nintendo is cutting it very close to release solid info.  They could build hype but instead their silence has just created confusion and pessimism.  They should have released this info at E3.

Plus one thing Nintendo probably completely fails to realize - for all this talk about trying to get core gamers back and not just be the casual guys, their secretive nature does not appeal to the core.  That audience expects info at E3, not a mere two months before release.  They want to talk videogames and they can't talk about silence and secrecy.  Here on this very site we don't just like Nintendo games, we like to talk about them and share our excitement for future releases.  We can't do that if Nintendo is tight lipped until the last minute.  So the general core gamer isn't talking about Nintendo.  He's talking about all the other games that he actually finds out about at E3.  That conversation creates hype and keeps a company "current" even between releases.  It's part of gaming culture.  Nintendo is not appealing to anyone but casuals unless they're part of gaming culture.

I think one of the dumbest things Nintendo ever did was disappear for several months between the N64 and Gamecube.  They were already the company that wasn't getting much press as the Playstation had beaten the N64.  Even when the N64 was current they were struggling to get decent coverage in the game mags and on game sites and most it was just because N64 releases were more infrequent.  The gaming world was paying less and less attention to them.  After the last N64 games were released, Nintendo was GONE.  They weren't on the front page of the Gamespot, they weren't in EGM.  It was as if they ceased to exist.  By the time the Gamecube came out no one but the hardcore Nintendo nut was paying attention.  Why would they?  If you're not getting coverage it suggests that you DON'T MATTER.

If you look at the gaming media it would suggest that the Wii U doesn't matter because, well, there aren't many Wii games getting reviewed because there aren't any.  There is nothing to report on the Wii since it's pretty much dead and Nintendo isn't revealing much about the Wii U.  There is no Wii U news because Nintendo isn't saying anything.  But Sony and MS are still talked about because their systems are current and games are still coming out and that means there are reviews and previews and news items.  The PS3 and Xbox 360 MUST matter if they're all over the game sites, right?  But the Wii U isn't.

The way the Wii's lineup has dried up also gives the impression that it was a mere fad.  You can point to stats that show the Wii is still selling well but that's not what one sees at first glance.  What's clear as day is that there aren't very many new Wii games out anymore and a natural assumption there is that the Wii is finished and must not be selling well anymore and was thus just a fad whose time is up and that Nintendo is limping into the next generation - forced to upgrade because their old system has no more legs (like the N64 and Gamecube).  The "successful" systems don't have that awkward transition.  They just keep up a steady release schedule until the new system comes out.  That keeps the momentum going.  Nintendo's approach comes across as attempting to make a comeback, which is an odd move from a company that sold the most systems last gen.

I think if Nintendo wants anyone beyond casuals they should want to accomodate their fans and videogame nuts in general.  "But casuals don't need to know more than two months before!"  EXACTLY.  That's the whole point.  It suggests what audience this system is REALLY for.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
"And the Wii U will be in stores TOMORROW!"

Now that'd shock the world.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
A November release date is not surprising at all.  I just think Nintendo is cutting it very close to release solid info.  They could build hype but instead their silence has just created confusion and pessimism.  They should have released this info at E3.

Plus one thing Nintendo probably completely fails to realize - for all this talk about trying to get core gamers back and not just be the casual guys, their secretive nature does not appeal to the core.  That audience expects info at E3, not a mere two months before release.  They want to talk videogames and they can't talk about silence and secrecy.  Here on this very site we don't just like Nintendo games, we like to talk about them and share our excitement for future releases.  We can't do that if Nintendo is tight lipped until the last minute.  So the general core gamer isn't talking about Nintendo.  He's talking about all the other games that he actually finds out about at E3.  That conversation creates hype and keeps a company "current" even between releases.  It's part of gaming........yada yada yada

Basically this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0F3LKaGN2A

Offline WiiUIVLife

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »
According to IGN, Nintendo's Wii U press event in NYC begins at 10:00am EDT.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 03:47:03 AM »
Will Reggie be there, and will he be Square? My magic hate-ball says all signs point to yes.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Not enough hype for the Wii U. Nintendo has had all year to build anticipation for their new console, and they came out with another craptastic E3. Spending 2/3 of the conference talking about Nintendo Land is NOT a good way to lure in the gamer crowd.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo, and even I was bored with their E3 conference. Especially when Sony's was so much better (aside from Wonderbook).

Reggie needs to step it up for this September conference. Make people excited to buy your new console. Show off all the online features. Tell us all the games coming from 3rd-party companies, and leave out the casual shovelware. Explain how we transfer stuff from the Wii over to the Wii U. Give us a price, release date, everything. Blow it out of the park.

Get the 3rd-party publishers on board with real games for gamers to play. Give us GTA 5, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 (or 4), Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry reboot, Ghost Recon whatever, Saints Row 4, Sonic Generations (with new levels), Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Dead Space 3, Resident Evil 6, a bunch of games from XBLA and PSN, etc.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:39:53 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
Not enough hype for the Wii U. Nintendo has had all year to build anticipation for their new console, and they came out with another craptastic E3. Spending 2/3 of the conference talking about Nintendo Land is NOT a good way to lure in the gamer crowd.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo, and even I was bored with their E3 conference. Especially when Sony's was so much better (aside from Wonderbook).

Reggie needs to step it up for this September conference. Make people excited to buy your new console. Show off all the online features. Tell us all the games coming from 3rd-party companies, and leave out the casual shovelware. Explain how we transfer stuff from the Wii over to the Wii U. Give us a price, release date, everything. Blow it out of the park.

Get the 3rd-party publishers on board with real games for gamers to play. Give us GTA 5, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3 (or 4), Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry reboot, Ghost Recon whatever, Saints Row 4, Sonic Generations (with new levels), Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Dead Space 3, Resident Evil 6, a bunch of games from XBLA and PSN, etc.

With real games for gamers to play?! I get many folks out there agree with you but the fact is the start of a generation has never been stronger in terms of support for Nintendo. There are some really great games from third parties coming very early on and yet you complain about what else there is. Iwata mentioned there would be more announcements for games after the launch window soon. You might be thinking "what if Zombi U turns out like Red Steel?" Well we already we know that's not the case, because at least the game works from the impressions given so far. The moment we saw the first play through on stage at E3 06(?)we all knew the motion was garbage for that game and wouldn't live up to expectations.

I can't stand you for reasons I don't fully understand. Your nothing like the Downer Trio. If  I ever saw you on the street I'd give you the frowning of a life time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:14:53 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »

With real games for gamers to play?! I get many folks out there agree with you but the fact is the start of a generation has never been stronger in terms of support for Nintendo. There are some really great games from third parties coming very early on and yet you complain about what else there is. Iwata mentioned there would be more announcements for games after the launch window soon. You might be thinking "what if Zombi U turns out like Red Steel?" Well we already we know that's not the case, because at least the game works from the impressions given so far. The moment we saw the first play through on stage at E3 06(?)we all knew the motion was garbage for that game and wouldn't live up to expectations.

I can't stand you for reasons I don't fully understand. Your nothing like the Downer Trio. If  I ever saw you on the street I'd give you the frowning of a life time.

I meant the Wii U should get the same multiplatform games that the PlayStation and Xbox consoles get. No more dumbing down a game just so it fits with the "Nintendo audience". I hate how biased the entire industry is with Nintendo consoles. They think just because the controller is somewhat different (whether it's motion controls or a touchscreen), that Nintendo consoles need to have a "unique" experience.

I don't care if the controller is different, Nintendo consoles still deserve the same games as everyone else. And now that the Wii U is caught up to current gaming standards, I expect the best from 3rd-party developers. Though I know expecting and actually getting are two very different things.

-_- *sigh*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:24:16 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
I too wish for parity support from third-parties. I'm okay if exclusives are few and far between, but my dream for this Nintendo generation is to see all/most of the multiplatform games also come out on my Wii U.

Spending 2/3 of the conference talking about Nintendo Land is NOT a good way to lure in the gamer crowd.

According to my notes, Nintendo spent only 14 minutes out of a 70 minute presentation talking about Nintendo Land.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:09 AM »
I'm starting to think Tendoboy1984 is someone's dupe account. But the question is who? The name sounds like something someone would make up as a name for a dupe account on a Nintendo site, and look how he has so many applauds even though no one ever openly agrees with anything he says. Something fishy is going on here.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:22 AM »
I too wish for parity support from third-parties. I'm okay if exclusives are few and far between, but my dream for this Nintendo generation is to see all/most of the multiplatform games also come out on my Wii U.

Spending 2/3 of the conference talking about Nintendo Land is NOT a good way to lure in the gamer crowd.

According to my notes, Nintendo spent only 14 minutes out of a 70 minute presentation talking about Nintendo Land.

Still too much time spent on one game.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
I'm starting to think Tendoboy1984 is someone's dupe account. But the question is who? The name sounds like something someone would make up as a name for a dupe account on a Nintendo site, and look how he has so many applauds even though no one ever openly agrees with anything he says. Something fishy is going on here.

Tendoboy is a username I have been using since I was in high school (I'm 27 now, so you do the math). I first used it for my Hotmail / MSN account.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »
I think Gary Coleman's wife killed him for his money. I thought there was something fishy about his death.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
This event is supposed to go on from 10am to 4pm, what in the world are they going to talk about for 6 hours?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57497493-1/nintendo-to-hold-wii-u-event-in-nyc-on-september-13/

Oh this is a live event, not just some video conference. Whoopsy!

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 01:03:05 PM »
"There will be hands-on demos for the press following the presentation."
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
"There will be hands-on demos for the press following the presentation."

Yeah I just read the title and not the actual article. Even then I should have known it wasn't another Nintendo Direct. I blame the media. Which is you.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Nintendo should bring back SpaceWorld. That was tits.

I really wish Sony held their own "PlayStation event" like this. It's a great marketing tool, and will help spread word of their products.

Offline Vrgin X

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
yada, yada, yada...
I think if Nintendo wants anyone beyond casuals they should want to accomodate their fans and videogame nuts in general.  "But casuals don't need to know more than two months before!"  EXACTLY.  That's the whole point.  It suggests what audience this system is REALLY for.

You mean the "third pillar" of folks that buy Nintendo systems as more like a 'digital babysitter', the clueless parents of 7 year olds who scream their heads off if they don't get the new SpongeBob game?
The same people who force me to go to 'evil' GameStop to buy games I'm enterested in than the big box retail store that reenforces a stereotype of the 'Nintendo gamer'?
You shouldn't blame just the casuals for The N's problems.
Vrgin X 4425-1527-9290