Author Topic: Retro Working on Star Fox + Metroid Crossover Game for Wii U?  (Read 13969 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Fox and Samus may be colliding in an epic crossover game if rumors are true.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/30202

Rumor has it that Retro Studios is working on a Star Fox and Metroid crossover game that incorporates the gameplay mechanics of the two Nintendo franchises, website Paul Gale Network is reporting.

While this is still being seen as a big rumor floating around prior to E3, some details regarding the supposed game have appeared. The story goes that Retro Studios wanted to create a new IP that mixed third person action and intense aerial combat, while other team members wanted to work on a new Star Fox game.

Nintendo, seeing how they have collaborated in the past with games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Mario Kart 7, decided to help them with the development of a game that would be a hybrid of Star Fox and Metroid.

The supposed story for this game is that when players start, they will begin with a Star Fox level controlling Fox as he and his team fly around the stage. Later, they crash into Samus's ship, which sends her to another planet. The gameplay is believed to switch between the two characters, with Samus having gameplay inspired by the Metroid Prime series (complete with exploration of levels and weapon upgrades) and Star Fox having aerial battles, on-rail and all-range modes.

The rumor also states that the gameplay has been designed so that the pace of one Nintendo franchise does not interrupt the flow of the other, and that players can either exclusively play one character or play them both via scripted events. Gameplay can also be switched between characters, with parts of the game having the player control Samus's ship while other levels have Fox walking on foot.

Despite what the sources may claim, this is still a big rumor. For weeks now, it has been rumored that Retro could be working on a Wii U game for launch or near the launch window to be revealed at this year's E3 conference. One of those games happened to be a new Star Fox game. Nintendo or Retro have confirmed or denied the existence of said games. If Retro was indeed involved in a new game, E3 2012 may be the place to announce it.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Re: Retro Working on Star Fox + Metroid Crossover Game for Wii U?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
I don't know how to feel about this. :-\

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »
I hope not.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
Eh, I gotta call bullsh*t on this one. I can see the idea being tossed around at Retro, but I don't think the concept would've made it to an actual game.

Though I will say that if it does happen, I hope it takes on a more humorous, self-aware tone, perhaps even making fun of the more lackluster entries in the series (Star Fox Adventures, Other M). Both series could use a shot of levity at this point.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:49:21 AM by joshnickerson »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
I'm sure it will be better than Other M, in any case.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
This is a pretty stupid rumor...I don't believe it.

Unless, they took the Metroid leap too literal.

If they said the gameplay Started as a standard Star Fox mission and Fox McCloud was stranded on a planet...and he sends his team off to finish the battle while we repairs his ship I would buy it. 

Then you would have Fox playing the part of explore trying to find make shift parts to repair his ship...all along while being on a hostile alien planet...potentially being controlled by Andros's Army.

Now, that would be a cool game.  Mix in exploring and shooting action...as well as tight space control.  And even allow Fox to jump into vehicles for combat would be great...

But more importantly...this could be Nintendo asking Retro to create a bigger universe for Star Fox for the express purpose of multiplayer. 

Imagine, If Retro designed an all out robust Star Fox battle system for 8-16 players online...with Star Fox Tank, and Ar-Wing battles as well as well designed on foot combat. 

Now that would be an Epic game.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
This sounds like a piece of fan fiction written by a 4th grader. I pray it is not true.

It seems more likely that they are designing a Star Fox game that includes Mertoid-INSPIRED land sections.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:58:00 AM by StrikerObi »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »

This is a pretty stupid rumor...I don't believe it.

Unless, they took the Metroid leap too literal.

If they said the gameplay Started as a standard Star Fox mission and Fox McCloud was stranded on a planet...and he sends his team off to finish the battle while we repairs his ship I would buy it. 

Then you would have Fox playing the part of explore trying to find make shift parts to repair his ship...all along while being on a hostile alien planet...potentially being controlled by Andros's Army.

Now, that would be a cool game.  Mix in exploring and shooting action...as well as tight space control.  And even allow Fox to jump into vehicles for combat would be great...

But more importantly...this could be Nintendo asking Retro to create a bigger universe for Star Fox for the express purpose of multiplayer. 

Imagine, If Retro designed an all out robust Star Fox battle system for 8-16 players online...with Star Fox Tank, and Ar-Wing battles as well as well designed on foot combat. 

Now that would be an Epic game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »
Sounds pretty terrible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Well, if it's Metroid gameplay with Star Fox characters then I'm for it.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
I agree with what others have said here. I think the idea of an actual Metroid/Star Fox crossover sounds kind of dumb. If, however, it were to be a game based solely in the Star Fox universe which has exploration and adventure elements inspired by Metroid, then that might be pretty cool.
Gouge away.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
Star Fox meets Metroid might go a little something like this:

is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »
I doubt this is real, as it does sound far-fetched (especially for Nintendo).  Still, the idea of a franchise-mashup with these two properties is intriguing.  If it was done well, the two franchises would complement each other: Star Fox doing the aerial battles that Metroid hasn't done, and Metroid handling the on-foot combat and exploration that Star Fox has never done well.  It could be interesting.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »
If this is true, I demand a post-credits cut scene where Samus lands on a colorful alien planet, steps out of her gunship and walks into a landscape that is dotted with tiny white flowers...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
I could believe in a Star Fox game where there's a code or unlock where you play as Samus's ship in multiplayer, but that's as far as I would take it.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
If this is true, I demand a post-credits cut scene where Samus lands on a colorful alien planet, steps out of her gunship and walks into a landscape that is dotted with tiny white flowers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XEs9H2JI

Something like this except with Zero Suit Samus as the game's end credits roll by?
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
This is seriously considered front page news...?
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
It's a rumor. They post it. It's front page news because it's so ridiculous.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »
BS detector: overloading!!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
This is seriously considered front page news...?

Its a slow news day... and until E3 there isn't much except for rumors such as this. You either report the rumors or you report nothing, because there is nothing else.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
BS detector: overloading!!

Perhaps, but it's still a more interesting idea than most of the stuff Nintendo does these days.  I've been wanting a more story-based Nintendo crossover game ever since I played Mario RPG on the SNES (with its Samus and Link cameos), and if it were done well it could be pretty cool.  I don't think it'll happen, but it's a neat idea.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Why stop there though? If Nintendo ever choose to do a crossover game outside of Smash Bros, then why not go all the way and include all Nintendo's franchises which are even remotely inspired by science fiction. Why not have a Metroid/Star Fox/Pikmin/F-Zero game.

Samus plays the role of a queen of a small planet, whose liberty is infringed upon by an evil trade federation. While escaping their clutches her ship is damaged and she is forced to land on the F-zero planet, where the only means of getting the parts required to fix her ship is to take part in a pod race against Captain Falcon. While on this planet, Samus also encounters a young boy by the name of Olimar who is strong with the forc...you get the point.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:46:39 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »
Why stop there though? If Nintendo ever choose to do a crossover game outside of Smash Bros, then why not go all the way and include all Nintendo's franchises which are even remotely inspired by science fiction. Why not have a Metroid/Star Fox/Pikmin/F-Zero game?

Sure.  Why not?  Why not have a game that brings the entire Nintendo universe together for an experience more narrative-focused?  That's kind of what Smash Bros. Brawl was trying to do with Subspace Emissary.  Unfortunately, that mode just sucked due to vague storytelling and bland enemy designs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:53:50 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
Like other people explained already, we post rumors if they seem big enough as long as we perfectly clear that they are rumors and should always be taken with a grain of salt. Also one of the reasons this was posted was because in the past the news source claimed that there was a Sony SSB game, and that turned out to be true. Still, nothing is to be believed until the news conference.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
While on this planet, Samus also encounters a young boy by the name of Olimar who is strong with the forc...

How about instead of that she encounters Link, who is strong in the Tri-Force? ;) Then her and Link have an affair and all is well until Princess Zelda finds out about Link's infidelity... then the plot starts to get really interesting.
is your sanity...