Author Topic: Streaming Services Getting Hit Hard Lately: Another Industry on Deathwatch?  (Read 62356 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
So, Playstation Vue is getting shut down.  It'll end in January of 2020.  The live cable alternative cost its 500K users $50/month which was on par with other services.  However, competition was too stiff.  This is notable as one of the first big streaming services to bite the dust.  However, it remains to be seen if this is a one-off or the canary in the coal mine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I mean it kinda started with Hulu and that was essentially the second streaming service most people knew about. After that with the success of Hulu and Netflix everyone wanted to follow suit and have their own services so that company could have the profits. Now it is like everyone has their own streaming services and it is fracturing the market and exclusive content is being cordoned off into their own streaming services and I feel one by one the dominos are going to fall down and that will be that.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I have no idea how things will end up, but I tend to agree that the rush for every content owner to have their own service (subsequently making all services less valuable to consumers because content is kept exclusively in small silos) is going to cause problems in the near term.

At the very least, it's going to reduce the sense of loyalty that consumers have to various services. Already I feel like we might start looking at streaming services as "on demand rentals" where we subscribe for a month or two to get the content we want and then move on.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Dang millenials are killing another industry!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Sure... blame the new guy.
 ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Dang millenials are killing another industry!

;)

Good golly, Miss Molly! That is brilliant. I'm going to be applauding you for days for that remark. *chef's kiss*
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
In line with what BShy is saying, I think we're going to start seeing some consolidation in the stream wars.  At any price point, people want at least some exclusive offerings, since that's the only way to offer any distinction in the market, so anyone without exclusive content will likely fall first. 

TV markets usually have one or two providers and then a satellite option.  I think the cable replacement will fall in line with that.  There really doesn't need to be more than just 2-3 players on that front and we have Sling, Hulu Live, and YouTube TV.  Two of those have enough backing to survive competition, so Sling may have to become a price leader. 

Hulu has the advantage of Disney bundles, and I guess YouTube has exclusive content.  If everyone else shies away from live cable, they can still exist as supplements/add-ons.  Kinda like how premium cable is now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
To add onto my point a little bit more. I think the major reason streaming services took off was because of the high prices of the cable packages and so the streaming services came at the right time and price to take off.  So with all these options for streaming services it might be that prices increase to show they have the best exclusive content. The "you get what you pay for" axiom.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
... *chef's kiss*

If you want, you can send cash instead of applause.
Or apple sauce instead of applause. That's good too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
 ;)

Hey, I got no beef with Gen Z Zoomers.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming Services Getting Hit Hard Lately: Another Industry on Deathwatch?
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
Cynical take: lots of providers now have an incentive to quickly slap a cheap streaming service of their own together, temporarily park all their valuable IP on there, with the possible end-goal of it being bought for billions when market consolidation occurs.

Even if you're not in it for the long haul, rigging up a barely functional platform and putting stuff like FRIENDS or the Office on there will make it a much more expensive buy/license for the big players, then just negotiating a fixed-term contract to license out a single show.
Investing a bit more in your slapdash platform now and pursuing acquisition instead of long-term operation can increase the value from millions to billions, purely because it seems like you need to buy out an entrenched position now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
I saw a post on my FB feed the other day showing that having a subscription to all of the streaming services costs $90.91. So that is more than cable.

HBO Max: 14.99
Netflix:12.99
Hulu:11.99
Showtime:10.99
CBS:9.99
Prime Video:8.99
STARZ:8.99
Disney+: 6.99
Apple TV+:4.99

Question is who has that time to use all these options and the money to do so. Presumidly one would be at work to pay for the services but you might not have enough time to use all these services.  Its a weird thing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
A better question is who would subscribe to all those at once when at best you'll only need/use 3-5 of them at a time...?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
A better question is who would subscribe to all those at once when at best you'll only need/use 3-5 of them at a time...?
Someone with a lot of time on their hands.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
I saw a post on my FB feed the other day showing that having a subscription to all of the streaming services costs $90.91. So that is more than cable.

HBO Max: 14.99
Hulu:11.99
Showtime:10.99
CBS:9.99
STARZ:8.99

That seems like a lot compared to a cable subscription of $50-60*, but HBO adds an extra $15 to cable, Starz and Showtime are like $10 each?  And Apple TV+ is pretty much all exclusives, which you can take or leave, since it's new.  But D+ is exclusive and of known quality.  You can watch some old Marvel movies on TNT, but that's not the same as having it to stream whenever.  I think you kind of end up breaking even with all of these combined over cable, and there's the added benefit of never dealing with the cable company (except for internet).

*The last time I priced cable in my area, the most reasonable package was at least an extra $60/month, which is why I ended up getting Hulu Live.  And this was bundling with my internet plan.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »

Frankly, we can't even watch everything from a single streaming service. Due to content differences, it's possible that we'll have 2 at a time (on and off), but anything more would be wasted on us...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 03:34:55 PM »
Could VUDU also be in trouble!?

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/walmart-is-reportedly-considering-selling-vudu/

please no. I put all my eggs into vudu. Part of the reason I mostly  used them as opposed to the other services is they were tied to Walmart. A company not going anywhere anytime soon.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »
I put all my eggs in Apple iTunes for the reason I thought Apple would never be going anywhere. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »
Well, you were right about the Apple part (so far). #RIPiTunes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 02:45:05 AM »
Polygon did a really good article showcasing all the streaming services out there. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/7/20903616/best-streaming-service-netflix-hulu-amazon-disney-plus-hbo-comparison-shows

For me personally I haven't had any of the major streaming services for several years. Netflix was the last one 3 years ago. Just before I moved out to Arizona from California.

From those listed I would have to say if I were to dip my toe back in I would go for Crunchyroll, Disney+, Hulu, Shudder, and Mubi I think I would go for. Maybe not all at once but for sure I would have Hulu and Crunchyroll.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »

This problem is almost exclusively a US one. Above are the only UK ones (plus Crunchyroll). All the terrestrial platforms (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5) are free to use with only the BBC content, indeed ANY TV watching, requiring a £150/year "TV licence" which pays for the BBC operation - which is incredibly cheap given the amount of content they put out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 01:16:11 AM »

This problem is almost exclusively a US one. Above are the only UK ones (plus Crunchyroll). All the terrestrial platforms (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5) are free to use with only the BBC content, indeed ANY TV watching, requiring a £150/year "TV licence" which pays for the BBC operation - which is incredibly cheap given the amount of content they put out.
I think that the above services are based in California, mainly in Silicon Valley, so I think there are different contracts for the USA as opposed to international countries where there may be different studios, trademarks, copyrights to deal with.   I know there was a time where the Classic Doctor Who was hard to get on Netflix and it was a big deal when it finally arrived on the service in the US.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
got an email

Hi Vudu customers,

We have some exciting news to share with you!

Vudu has entered into an agreement to be acquired by Fandango, the ultimate digital network for all things movies & TV.

While there will be many more exciting things to share in the months ahead, nothing about the Vudu experience is changing - your movie & TV library is safe, and you will continue to have access to all your Vudu apps across your favorite devices.

Vudu will continue to deliver an amazing experience, and we promise that the future will bring more new features, offerings, and other benefits as we join the Fandango family. In the meantime, you can find more details here.

Sincerely,
Vudu team
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure the streaming service industry just got a booster shot in the arm. LOL