Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 32441 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
The pal thing can be solved with a usb keyboard. It's too bad that it's $120 CAD(90USD) there. I got mine for $59.99. I've seen it for as low as $39.99 USD as of recently.  They're trying to get rid of the stock now. It was that bad of a failure. I'm not sure how you'd go about importing it at a cheaper price. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I haven't hacked it yet, mainly because I have a really old computer with windows xp, so I might not be able to use the software. I also have no PSX roms. So, I wouldn't get far.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »
They are like $80 CAD on amazon.ca, so there are cheaper options available. I'm a bit surprised that pricing hasn't dropped even further though.

Crazy that it's still $130 CAD at walmart.ca - no way these are worth that much and the demand isn't going move those units. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though. My local Walmart still has full price Wii games on the shelf. Golly, I miss the days when Target tried to set up shop in Canada - that chain made a lot of bad choices, but they really understood how to mark down old/unwanted stock to get it off their shelves.

As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Ah, but the PS TV isn't portable.

With PSP, you can use the video-out cables to play full-size PSOne Classics on your TV or detach the console and play on the move! Best of both worlds (as long as you don't need HDMI).
:D

(I actually have a PSTV unit and am pretty happy with it too... but memory cards are insanely expensive and prone to getting corrupted, so I'm really hesitant to download games there.)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.

Jaggies you could cut your CENSORED on...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »
Teeth?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »

Although early 3D graphics haven't aged well for the most part, there are still a few lookers in the PS1 library. Castlevania (Chronicles, or Symphony of Night) on a big screen is nice, and so is Metal Slug. Lots of RPGs hold up well too, like Final Fantasy 9 or Breath of Fire 4 or Legend of Mana.

Mostly I agree with you, but there are enough exceptions to make it a nice option.

Plus, playing some games on a small handheld screen hides the rough edges but also hide a lot of "detail" that might be necessary - whether that's good or bad depends on the game. Playing Soviet Strike on a bigger screen where enemy bullets can be more easily seen doesn't hurt!

Teeth?

I was thinking "pixels", but wanted to leave it up for interpretation.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »

I love the irony of questioning why someone would want to play games for a console designed to hook up your TV to a TV.  Of course the coolest way to play PS1 games in on the PSOne with the flip up LCD screen! :)

Regarding the visuals this probably sounds like blasphemy on a Nintendo site but I actually prefer the PS1 graphics these days over the N64.  At the time I thought the PS1 graphics were jaggy and grainy but the N64's approach to addressing this was by making everything blurry.  The textures are also compressed and low-res to fit on the cartridge.  I'm pretty sure the first time I played N64 it was a coaxial connection on an 80's TV so it wasn't so noticeable but these days it sure is.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »
I think it depends on where you play n64 games. I have a Sanyo True Flat CRT screen. First party n64 games look "great" Many third party games look really bad. A few games hold up well from third parties.

You can turn off anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing with a gameshark. It's interesting. I used to call the cheat PSX mode.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
So these are down to $40 CAD now, and were apparently being blown out from some stores at $20 recently... they are hacked if you care to make the effort... and I'm still having a hard time justifying a purchase. If I wanted to just hack something for pirating PS games, which I'm not all the keen to do, then I've got two PSP Go systems with cradles and TV out cables.

Am I off base here and missing out on a great deal? With two other mini consoles in the house already, is there value in grabbing a PS Classic while they are still kicking around?  It just seems like putting that money towards a Sega Genesis Mini would be a better option.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Good enough - those games are covered, so I'm officially out on PS Classic despite the discounts.

I do admit that Intelligent Qube (did I spell that right?) looked interesting, but it's not enough to justify the time/space/effort.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
So I got suckered into an impulse buy on one of these units because they are so damn cheap now.
My only real goal is to hack it so that I can play X-COM: Terror From the Deep on my TV instead of trying to find a way to play my Steam copy.

But when looking for other games that I might want to put on it, I realized that there just aren't many PS1 titles that appeal to me*. I remember the console have "all the games" back in the day, but looking now there are almost none that look worth playing outside of the (admittedly excellent) RPG lineup.

Spider-Man and Silent Bomber are both maybes if I can secure the images. I might copy over some of the PSN library that I already own for convenient access. Castlevania, Crash Team Racing, Herc's Adventures, and Mega Man Legends all seem like decent candidates.

Also, did anyone else grab one and hack it? Any recommendations about what provides the easiest, most direct interface? I don't want options, I just want the cleanest way possible to start playing the games I put on this mini console.

*: I say not many games, and yet I own 42 PSOne Classics on PSN. So really I mean to say "not many games that I don't already have full access to"...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:52:11 PM by ejamer »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2019, 01:50:10 AM »
Every time I see this thread these days, all I can think is:

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
With the ability to switch things to NTSC using the keyboard hack (though I have no idea if any keyboard I own will work with it) and these things getting marked down I'm becoming somewhat interested in getting one if I can find it cheap, like under $20 cheap.  My local Wal-Mart has like ten of these things on the bottom shelf of their PS4 case still with a $40 price tag.  Come on, Wal-Mart, the jig is up!  Clear these things out for ten bucks and call it a day!

I haven't hacked my NES or SNES Classic and probably won't since I like them as they are.  But I won't have the same attachment to the PS Classic so it would be ideal to be my designated hack machine.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
I haven't hacked my NES or SNES Classic and probably won't since I like them as they are.  But I won't have the same attachment to the PS Classic so it would be ideal to be my designated hack machine.

Exactly!

But does your Walmart actually mark things down?  Mine still has $60 Wii games.  Like, not the ones that might make sense to keep at that price - the shovelware they couldn't sell when people buying Wii games was actually a thing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »

Exactly!

But does your Walmart actually mark things down?  Mine still has $60 Wii games.  Like, not the ones that might make sense to keep at that price - the shovelware they couldn't sell when people buying Wii games was actually a thing.

The games get marked down when they move from behind the glass case into a bin or a shelf.  It's like they're saying "we're not concerned about someone shoplifting this anymore".  Though they're slow about it.  No Wii games thankfully (except Just Dance 2019 of course!) but they still have too many full priced Wii U titles.

A few years ago my brother managed to score a PSTV for the same price as a PS3 controller (and it COMES with one, so it was essentially buy-a-controller-get-PSTV-free) when they were clearing them out.  So in theory this does happen.

I also have my eye on the lone Arcade1Up cabinet they still have.  It's Pac-Man, which is not what I would pick if I could have any of the Arcade1Up systems, but it's one I would gladly own if I could get a deal.  I've read reports of people finding those marked down to ridiculously low prices but this sits there all alone with its $450 CAD price tag.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
A few years ago my brother managed to score a PSTV for the same price as a PS3 controller (and it COMES with one, so it was essentially buy-a-controller-get-PSTV-free) when they were clearing them out.  So in theory this does happen.

Was that the Lego Movie box set? I grabbed a copy of that one too, when it was like $50 CAD. Not a bad score, and it's been a great little mini-console for me. So maybe I'm being too harsh when suggesting there are no markdowns. It's just less common than I'd like for old stuff that obviously isn't going to sell at full price.

... Arcade1Up systems, ...

Those do seem tempting, but they're so tiny and the pricing isn't quite friendly enough to convince me yet.
But the TMNT one coming out sure does look sweet!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:16 PM »
So having had one for a little while, purchased at $30 CAD, I would be disappointed if not for the ability to hack the console.

The controller choice (non-DualShock) is a bit of a let down, the menus and interface feel slapped together and ugly, and the software included is a strange mix of odd and disappointing. The whole thing screams "cash in"... although by now it seems like that didn't pan out since everyone learned very quickly this mini console wasn't up to snuff.

Unfortunately, the hacks right now seem to prefer running off a USB and leaving the console memory mostly untouched. I'm not a fan of that approach. There are enough outright bad games on the system that I'm aiming to outright replace them - this can be done, but is apparently a bit more work. Also, buying an extra flash drive and powered USB hub (which is what people are recommending to use with the hacks) is more than I'm willing to shell out for a tiny portable console that doesn't stay hooked up when not in use.

Assuming there are no space issues, I think my target list of 20 games will look something like this:
1. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
11. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
12. Rayman
13. Resident Evil Director's Cut
14. Revelations: Persona
15. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms
20. X-Com: Terror From the Deep

For anyone with a PSX itch to scratch, there are some excellent games on sale via PSN this week if you have the appropriate hardware to buy them.  (And if you do have hardware already, then buying those versions might be a better use of your money than the PlayStation Classic anyway.)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
12. Rayman
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms

I don't see Chrono Cross on that list.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
12. Rayman
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms

I don't see Chrono Cross on that list.

Then he has taste, then.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
RPGs are actually a bit of a question mark for my list. Most of the PSX games that interest me probably fall in that genre, but they take a big commitment and I didn't want RPGs to overwhelm other genres. It would have been easy to add at least another half dozen if I expected to have time to play them.

I also avoided putting any games on the list that I don't legally own in some form or another (not that it makes much difference to anyone, I guess). So Chrono Cross had two strikes against being included.

If the second self-imposed restriction was lifted then Einhander and Ghost in the Shell probably would've made the list instead of Rayman and Resident Evil. Maybe Saiyuki: Journey West too...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
I've been putting in some time with my PS Classic recently.

It's funny... I'm still not a PS1 fan. The library of games is large, but most of them really didn't appeal to me very much. Worse, most games on the system have aged extremely poorly regarding both design and technology. However, it really only takes one or two games you want to play to make the whole thing justified.

For me, X-Com: Terror From the Deep was that game. It's easily accessible on PC, but (at least for me) slightly less convenient to play that way than to have a plug-and-play version available anywhere. Throw in Castlevania and Mega Man Legends, and suddenly this little mini console is actually something I'm getting a lot of joy from. It's also nice to get a few extra multiplayer games on the system - the arcade port of Bubble Bobble gets a lot of play, for example.

It's really a shame that Sony did such a half-ass job with this mini console. Underpowered hardware, poor user interface, questionable game selection, PAL version ROMs, not including dualshock controllers... it's like they were screaming "we don't care" when putting this thing together. However, replacing the games included on the console is easy, so I'm glad to have picked one up at deep clearance pricing.