Author Topic: GameCube’s Mid-Term Report Card  (Read 46444 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
GameCube’s Mid-Term Report Card
« on: December 24, 2003, 06:53:07 AM »
Our favorite system is two years old, so it’s time to look back at how well it’s performing and what it needs to improve upon before the next system is ready.

As of this writing, the Nintendo GameCube has been on the market for about two years in Japan and North America, and a few months less than that in Europe.  Since it seems fairly certain that the next generation of consoles will be launched in 2005, when GameCube will be four years old, this seems like a good intermediate point to look back at how the system has performed so far in its life cycle.

I’ve looked at several topics pertaining to a console’s performance and given a letter grade to each one.  Note that these grades are based on the American system of educational scoring, where A means "Excellent", B is "Good", C is "Average", D is "Poor", and F is "Failing".  On with the progress report.

System Sales: B-

GameCube seemed to launch with great sales, then it lagged for a long time, and now it is quickly improving with the recent price cuts around the world.  Though the two companies may argue over exact numbers (which constantly fluctuate anyway), the truth is that GameCube and Xbox are very close in this regard, with PS2 way
out in the lead.  Nintendo has had to fight very hard to sell as many systems as it has against strong competition, but Microsoft has struggled and strived as well.  System sales are currently good enough to ensure that some third-party support will continue through the system’s lifetime, which the N64 could not claim.  The
installed base isn’t large enough to make up for some of the system’s other faults though.  If the current momentum can be maintained through strong marketing and game releases, GameCube has a fair chance of outselling Xbox in the end, though it will probably still be close.

Exclusive Games: B

Every gamer has his or her own favorite system for exclusive titles, but I’m going to try being objective here.  I think GameCube has as many great exclusives as Xbox and even PS2 do.  The only difference is that most of GameCube’s exclusive titles are published by Nintendo and rated E for Everyone.  There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but it does affect other aspect’s of the system’s performance.  The only problem I have with
GameCube’s exclusive lineup is that many of Nintendo’s franchise updates, while fun to play, are not much different from previous games.  It’s totally forgivable in a game like Majora’s Mask, which was developed on the same system and same engine as Ocarina of Time.  But when games like Mario Kart: Double Dash and 1080:
Avalanche are basically graphical upgrades with a couple of new modes added to games that came out six or seven years ago, I have a bit of a problem.  There’s nothing wrong with these games per se, but releasing this kind of sequel is something Nintendo promised it would not do on GameCube, and that promise has been repeatedly broken.  If franchise sequels don’t start charting more new territory, fans will eventually get fed up and stop buying.   Yeah, I love Super Mario Sunshine and gave it a glowing review, because I think it deserves it.  But I also think a genuinely new, radically different, revolutionary Mario platformer is past due.   Nintendo sets expectations high, and they have to deliver.

Third-party Support: C

Better than on N64, but still not very good.  How many times do I have to read a press release for some new game and how it’s coming to PS2, Xbox, and PC?  Then there are the games that only come to GameCube six months after the other versions are released, and the publisher is so disappointed with its sales.  Sony set a very clear model of how to lure and maintain third-party support, and Nintendo has only learned part of that great example.  GameCube has great support from some companies, like Capcom and Ubi Soft, but other publishers are publicly mocking the system or despairing at the awful sales of third-party software on GameCube.  It’s anyone’s guess as to why the EA Sports titles are still consistently released on Nintendo’s
console; Sega wised up long ago and pulled the plug on GameCube versions of their sports games.  I didn’t blame them then, and I wouldn’t blame them now.  With brisk system sales after the latest price cut, Nintendo has an opportunity to go earn new third-party support and bring back those who have left the flock, but I’m not holding my breath.

Sports Games: D

Having most of the EA Sports lineup doesn’t make your system a good choice for fans of sports games.  Let’s face it, a huge portion of casual gamers buy sports games almost exclusively.  When I go visit my friends and they want to play video games, they don’t mean Zelda.  They’re oogling over this year’s newest NCAA Basketball or Madden NFL game.  Though some of us hardcore gamers could care less for those games, you can’t win or even compete in the console wars without a strong sports lineup.   There’s nothing wrong with EA’s GameCube titles, and in fact they are very comparable with the PS2 and Xbox versions...except in sales.  Nobody plays these games on GameCube, seriously.  I know it, you know it, Nintendo knows it, and EA definitely knows it.  
Consumers know that you can’t buy Sega Sports games for GameCube, and they know that Nintendo doesn’t have its own sports lineup, so they naturally assume that the system must not be good for sports games.  They are totally right, not because the system can’t technically handle sports titles, but because Nintendo doesn’t care about sports.  Until the company embraces sports, it can’t embrace casual gamers, and it won’t win back any of its old dominance.

Technical Prowess: A

With its relatively slow processor and strange RAM architecture, not to mention the lower price point at launch, many people expected GameCube to be underpowered right off the bat.  Such fears have been destroyed time and time again by the surprising power of Gekko and Flipper.  Xbox may be slightly more powerful, but the difference is slight and rarely capitalized on by developers.   Games like Metroid Prime and the upcoming Resident Evil 4 truly show off what the GameCube can do.

Connectivity: F

Connectivity is a total failure at this point in GameCube’s life.   There is exactly one online game on the market.  LAN modes are plainly or poorly implemented, and are just now arriving when other systems have had the feature for nearly a decade.  The only title making decent use of the GameCube-to-GBA link is a free mini-game that Nintendo had to develop itself and give to another company.  It’s really, really pitiful.  Whether you look at connecting the two systems as a replacement for online features (as Nintendo has often presented it) or a stand-alone feature, it’s no less a dumb gimmick than the e-Reader in the current selection of compatible games.  It looks like 2004 may bring more legitimacy to the feature, but Nintendo has been incredibly slow to make GBA connectivity anything more than a neat symbol on the back of the game box.

Public Image: D

"GameCube is a kid’s system.  Nintendo isn’t even making a new system, they’re just going to make games from now on."  As ignorant as these comments are, I hear them all the time from non-gamers.  There’s no doubt that GameCube is respected and supported by hardcore gamers like me, but Sony has proven that the real potential of gaming lies in attracting casual gamers, people who only care about crap like Enter the Matrix.  The average
PS2 owner has never heard of Viewtiful Joe and probably wouldn’t want to play it even if you showed it to him.  These are the people who control the industry.  Nintendo has done a horrible job of reaching out to them and showing them the appeal of GameCube.   Stereotypes are created and actively fostered by Sony and
Microsoft, which is smart business for them.  Meanwhile, Nintendo has done very little to show the world that GameCube is, in fact, a perfectly good system for adults, and that the company is very much intent on staying in the hardware business forever.  There’s a difference between making flashy commercials and creating a
positive public image.  Nintendo has improved greatly in its advertising, but there’s more to marketing than just flooding TV screens and electronics stores with your logo.  Sony and Microsoft have a very firm grasp on word of mouth, and Nintendo clearly does not.

Overall: C

Nintendo fans awaited GameCube as a chance for the company to fight back into the mainstream of gaming.  That has obviously not happened.  I still love playing on my GameCube, and there are tons of upcoming games that I’m looking forward to, and I think the system’s exclusive lineup is as good or better than those offered
by PS2 and Xbox.  However, many of Nintendo’s promises have not been fulfilled.  It doesn’t compete in terms of third-party support.  GBA connectivity hasn’t materialized, much less revolutionized.  GameCube is most definitely not the coolest system to own.  It’s not remotely popular with casual gamers.  The general theme for Nintendo so far this generation has been, "We’re learning, but not very fast."  It seems like whenever Nintendo fixes one problem left from the N64 era, a new one pops up.  Four years ago, I was sick of hearing that things would be
better in the next generation.  I’m still sick of hearing it, and I’m finding it harder and harder to believe.  There’s no doubt that GameCube is a big improvement over the N64.  But the strides Nintendo has made have not been nearly enough to catch up with Sony, and they are just barely keeping up with Microsoft.  Some of GameCube’s problems could be remedied in the current generation, like better marketing and some improvement in
third-party support.  Connectivity could still be salvaged from its current laughable state.  It’s not even too late for GameCube to become a viable online platform.  The question is whether Nintendo can become mobile enough to act on these issues and make real changes.  Otherwise, Nintendo fans will be left hoping that the next system will be the revolutionary system that GameCube was supposed to be.  
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:GameCube’s Mid-Term Report Card
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 06:59:03 AM »
Sorry for the weird line breaks, it's due to the format I pasted from.  I went in and tried to fix it, and it looks better than it did before.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 07:12:12 AM »
good job.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 08:10:43 AM »
  I think  the third party support is a lot better from the N64 days.  It's the same amount of exclusive content, but Gamecube gets more games in general(mostly Multiplatfrom games).  Why should the "Average" gamer buy a Madden game on Gamecube, when they can play it online on the ultra cool for "adults" PS2 ?

I think Nintendo shouldn't put their recourses on  some sports Franchises; that would take  alot of R&D time  away from other innovative games.  Nintendo needs to tell the the Average gamer that this system is "cool", that way the average game would want to buy the espn 2k3 game on gamecube instead of ps2,  but I think its already to late for the Gamecube in that respect.  I'm also sick hearing about how Nintendo will do better in the Next-generation wars, but its all poppy cock if Nintendo doesn't change their philosophy about videogames.  They have a tendency to look outside the box, and for innovative content and they should never stop.  Implementing this on hardware is also good, Nintendo didn't offer DVD support or a hard drive wich meant the system didnt sell at a loss. I also find myself in a duality because Nintendo should also put some features the Average game would want.(DVD play support, MP3,  e.t.c.).  Nintendo can work with Panasonic if they wanted to make NES-5  that plays games and has many features for the average gamer.  Another can be made for the person who just wants to play games.  They can also use MP3 player support for a new innovative game> OUTSIDE THE BOX

Nintendo needed to change drasticaly from the N64 days, but they only changed a little.  If Nintendo changes drastically this time something is going to happen, but if Nintendo doesn't do much dont expect miracles.  

But lets not forget that Nintendo is making a profit, and they are doing a lot of things right.
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: GameCube’s Mid-Term Report Card
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 08:15:26 AM »
Well I got straight A's on my mid-term report card so I guess I'm better than Nintendo, huh?

Nope.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 08:31:05 AM »
I think a C is a pretty acurate grade to give the Cube thus far.  In fact I agree with pretty much all of the individual grades you gave as well.

"The only problem I have with GameCube’s exclusive lineup is that many of Nintendo’s franchise updates, while fun to play, are not much different from previous games."

I really agree with that statement.  Back in the day every game Nintendo made had a reason to exist.  If it was a sequel it had some new feature that justified it's existence.  You don't see that with some of the Cube lineup.  Wave Race: Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and Mario Golf are all what I would consider games that didn't have to be made.  They really don't add anything to the original N64 versions.  Don't even get me started on Mario Party.  These are money sequels.  They're the kind of cash-in cookie cutter sequels I expect from companies like EA instead of Nintendo.  Sure they're still good but did the Cube lineup really need them?  Mario Kart Double Dash often gets lumped into this pile but I think that's unfair since the two character thing really does add a cool co-opertive theme into the game.  I think the lack of online play (ie: something that would justify the existence of MANY Cube multiplayer games if included) is what made people think of it as cookie cutter.

I think Nintendo is confused about what fans want from their games.  Most Nintendo fans love the innovative gameplay that Nintendo provides.  We want sequels but only if they give us something new.  We don't just want another Mario Party because we liked the first one.  In my opinion there are only two franchises the Nintendo HAS to continue and that's Mario and Zelda.  For everything else if they can't give us something fresh then give us something different.

"Meanwhile, Nintendo has done very little to show the world that GameCube is, in fact, a perfectly good system for adults"

The Gamecube ironically enough has a LOT of games that target adults.  In fact I would say that Nintendo's first party games are the only major "kiddy" games on the console.  All the second party titles are games like Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness.  The major third party games are stuff like Soul Calibur II and Resident Evil.  I personally blame NOA's marketing department completely for the continued "kiddy" stereotype.  EAD is the ONLY Nintendo developer I can think of that is really cranking out the "kiddy" games.  The rest of the lineup is quite appealing to adults.  Nintendo does offer a good selection of games for adults they just don't TELL anyone about it.

I'm basically repeating stuff Jonny already said but I think it's worth emphasizing.  

Offline Inkwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »

I think Nintendo shouldn't put their recourses on some sports Franchises; that would take alot of R&D time away from other innovative games.

Honestly what has Nintendo really done that has been innovative this time around? Connectivity? Its already has been done an Nintendo efforts fall extremely short in justifying why they should even consider still using this gimmicky approach. Unless you think connectivity is what everyone is craving to get thier hand on. Now on to the E-reader...pointless, but somehow its suppose to be innovative ( I guess it is because it comes from Nintendo). Where was the actual "research" in this item, it just seems like they developed them for no actual use but can brag about how the have it an others don't. Oh...the games...can you tell me where is the innovation in Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Sunshine, and so on. Like someone has mentioned once before about Nintendo sequels (if you want to call them that) they seem to border  mere rehashes. Nintendo does it way too often, Im suprise we haven't notice it sooner...really what game on the GC that has felt like it actually deserve to have 2 or whatever number beside its name. R&D at Nintendo seem to be lacking, they are not making innovative games, but they are making fun games and that what I believe that what thier all about. Just my opinion though.

Oh...the topic. I basically agree with it except for lthe 3rd-party support ( should recieve a D-) and the Public Image (F sound about right).  

Nintendo = Old News  

Offline Selochin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 10:01:27 AM »
If Nintendo would just focus on American gaming preferences instead of Japenese, it would control much more of the market. And yes, as much as I hate to say it, that means investing alot more of their resources into making the cube a more sports-oriented console. But sports is only a portion of the required action. Online would go a long way toward making Nintendo #1 again. It's not that I'm the first one to say these things, but I do firmly believe them.
Nintendo had better have something amazing planned for next generation if it plans to be a serious competitor.

Offline bubba23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2003, 10:09:10 AM »
I also believe that Jonnyboy117 gave a fair assessment of the Gamecube. I am also one who believes the Gamecube is a vast improvement over the N64, but it's still no where near to the level of the NES and SNES. The missed the boat of taking advantage of the broadband adapters and are instead trying to promote using the GBA to "enhance" the playability of the Gamecube. Given what I have seen so far I'm not holding my breath. This connectivity nonsense extends beyond the Gamecube. I find it ridiculous that for SMA4 : Super Mario Bros. 3 in order to get the extra levels it requires an e-reader, 2 GBAS, a link cable, and some e-reader card packs, when they could have fit the levels in the GBA cartridge. Some may argue that having the cards will give unlimited expandibility, but do you really think that it will go beyond a couple card series? The Gamecube is still a very good system, and I'm very happy with some of the games like Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and Viewtiful Joe, and accessories like the Wavebird, but Nintendo has to be very careful of what baskets to put their eggs in.  
Bubba 23

Atari 2600  - NES  - GB - Genesis - SNES - N64 - Dreamcast - PS2 - GBA SP - GC (with GBP)  - XBox - PC

Offline nellyp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 10:23:18 AM »
Nintendo definitly needs to get more "casual" gamers to buy gamecubes.  The PS2 has tons of games...but LITERALLY 95 percent of them I would never want to play.  Nintendo has a lot of their own games but as it was already said that they aren't all that much better then the games that we played a few years ago.  Windwaker was NOT nearly as good as Ocarina of Time (in any category), and Mario Sunshine got boring very fast.  As for third party development...Nintendo is still getting the shaft on most games...how often do you see a game add on tv and they show the system icons and the only icon missing is the Gamecube logo.  Heck sometimes it is even on teh GBA but not the Gamecube. The PS2 is harder to program on yet all of these developers seem to make it their first system they develop on.  Midway is even starting to slowly pull their support...they canceled GCN versions of Manhunt and PSIOps or ESPionage or what ever they are calling the piece of crap now...In two years I want to see a Nintendo system that will blow all others away...I think Nintendo needs to welcome all types of games and give up on the"graphics don't need to be pretty" and get more games online, there are plenty of games on all systems that that are online for PS2 and XBox but GCN doesn't go online with them...The gamecube obviously can do online so what is the problem?

Everyday that I live my life I'm in hell, but at least I'm not you!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 10:39:18 AM »
Instead of typing a rebuttal, I'll just link to my editorial already up in the Gamecube Discussion board. Replace "Game-Revolution" with "Planet Gamecube" and it's basically the same thing.

And seriously guys, shut up with this online crap- it's not profitable, get over it. Just because YOU and your nerd friends like it doesn't mean everybody else does. I'm sick and tired of people hounding on Nintendo for not immediatley pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into setting up an extensive online plan. Jesus
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 10:52:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Selochin
If Nintendo would just focus on American gaming preferences instead of Japenese, it would control much more of the market.

Only the U.S.A. market. Japan is a larger market than the U.S.A. when it comes to games. Going for Japan, especially when you have all your best developers based there, and suited to the market's preference is a perfectly valid strategy.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Moonwatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 11:06:29 AM »
I think that this is a remarkably accurate assesment of the GC's performance thus far.  Just had to say that.
"Anything that, in happening, cuases itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 11:18:24 AM »
mouse_clicker: Come on, Nintendo is getting laughed at because they aren't online.   They have a reputation as dinosaurs already, and the fact that they aren't embracing online play only makes them look even more out of touch with today's gaming landscape.  If you think Sony and Microsoft are going online to make money you're missing the point; they're going online to gain an early foothold in an emerging market.  Online gaming is going to be huge, it's just a matter of time.  Microsoft and Sony are waiting for the public to catch up, and when they do they'll be there.  Nintendo, of course, will be caught with its d**k in its hand as usual, trying to hock this stupid GBA connectivity crap that nobody beyond Satoru Iwata cares about.

Nintendo has yet to figure out that they need to do everything their competitors do and then some.  If your competitor has a checkbox in their ad, you'd better have a checkbox to match it.  Brain surgery it ain't.  Nintendo is the only company that can beat Nintendo, and for the past eight years they've been doing a hell of a job.

silks

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 11:31:39 AM »
Who the hell cares if they're getting laughed at? Would you swallow a lit firecracker just because everyone else did and then laughed because you didn't? That's pretty much exactly what's happening- Microsoft and Sony pour millions of dollars into online systems..... and lose it all. The Xbox, which is VERY heavily advertised as an "online console", has only 500,000 subscribers to XBox Live- Sony's online plan is doing even worse. Why should Nintendo spend money to go online when they're just going to lose it all? Online gameplay will not be profitable for quite some time. Get over it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 11:35:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Ocarina Blue

Only the U.S.A. market. Japan is a larger market than the U.S.A. when it comes to games. Going for Japan, especially when you have all your best developers based there, and suited to the market's preference is a perfectly valid strategy.

No, the N.A. market is larger in both sales and profit.  Japan was eclipsed back in the 90s.  There may be more games released in Japan, I'm not sure, but there aren't more games purchased there.  Japan has had a poor economy for a long time, and it eventually started to seriously hurt the gaming industry there.  People just can't afford as many games.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline dus

• Report Me to a Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2003, 12:04:18 PM »
Sorry mouse_clicker, but I really have to go with Jonny on this one. You seem a little overprotective. And, not only is online gaming profitable, it's really fun. So, maybe you should let up on your radical views and see Nintendo as it is- a C. Now, I would give PS2 a F and Xbox a D, so a C isn't that bad. No hard feelings man!!
Dustin O'Neal

Currently Liking: POP:TSOT, LOZ:MM, Miyazaki Films, Kayla

Currently Hating: Anything "Dragon Ball", anything Electronic Gaming Monthly

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »
Prove it, dus. How is 500,000 XBox Live subscribers good at all? How is that profitable? How can you speak for everyone in saying that it's fun? How is not wasting money being overprotective? No hard feelings, it just really pisses me off that some people can think, without looking at the numbers, that because they like online games, it must be profitable, and therefor everyone needs to support it. It doesn't make any sense.  

Offline Cowboy Bebop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2003, 12:53:51 PM »
My computer's been on-line for 10 years now.  The PC industry has some how managed to pull a profit in those ten years.  There's no reason at all why the GameCube can't.  The problem isn't that it costs too much to make on-line games, it's  that Nintendo hasn't figured out a way to profitably sell internet access.  They want to have an xbox live type of solution.   So they can control the content and, most importantly, sell access to it.  They view on-line as another revenue stream.  That will never work.  I already pay Comcast a lot of money to have internet access, there's no reason I should pay even more money to Nintendo or Microsoft just so I can play their console on-line.  PC game companies have been making a profit using the existing internet up until now, there's no reason why Nintendo can't buy a couple of servers, optimize they're LAN code, and pop out an on-line version of Mario Kart.  The PS2 has the best on-line stratagy so far.
"Some Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
-Frank Zappa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2003, 01:00:37 PM »
Do you honestly think online access and online gaming are the same thing? Look at the numbers. Microsoft has lost money supporting online games. Sony has lost money supporting online games. Hell, Nintendo hasn't had any success with online games after trying for 4 generations, now. Trust me- online gaming is indeed the wave of the future, but that wave is far out in the middle of the ocean, not breaking on shore like you seem to think it is. Get over it.

Offline Cuseguy385

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2003, 01:25:09 PM »
Its definately time to see some f'ing change nintendo. I dont care if it ruins the company, but start heading in some direction.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2003, 01:30:49 PM »
My main problem with Nintendo's approach to online gaming is that they don't just say "online gaming isn't profitable" they say "who needs online when this GBA/GC connection is EVER BETTER!!"  Not going online because it isn't profitable is perfectly logical.  Bashing online gaming every chance they get and pushing this bullsh!t connectivity crap as a valid alternative and discouraging the creation of third party online games by making the broadband adapter hard to find in stores is different.  Nintendo's attitude towards online gaming doesn't just come across as that of a company that's being cautious it comes across as that of a company that has no f*cking clue about the current industry.  Nintendo sounds like a bunch of old fuddy duddies when they talk about how this GBA/GC stuff is a valid alternative.  THAT'S the real problem.

As for sports that's pretty easy to cover.  All Nintendo has to do is buy some developer and turn them into Nintendo Sports.  They then make four games (football, baseball, basketball & hockey) and go from there with annual updates.  If they just bought some company to do it for them then they don't have to worry about "wasting" their other developers.  They already have the NBA Courtside general design to go with and could probably use Retro's existing code for that football title so the work has already been started.  They also have the Seattle Mariners franchise to use.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2003, 01:59:49 PM »
If they wouldn't push the connectivity so hard and treated it truthfully, as a neat little bonus for some people, it wouldn't be as bad.

Cuseguy, think for yourself.

Offline Nazgul

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2003, 02:14:57 PM »
Mouse_Clicker, have you ever played on Blizzard's Battle.net system? Its a free online system used by Blizzard Entertainment, on this players with any sort of connection can get on and compete online on Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War, Warcraft 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, Warcraft 3, and Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. This is my suggestion for Nintendo, dump some money into making a free-based online program. Sure you get no profits from the online service, but game sales will spike, Animal Crossing 2 would be a great launch title for this. Starcraft and Starcraft Brood War have sold Millions combined, and I bet 1/3 of that is based some what on free online play. This is a safe and good way to enter the online market, it will cost less in the end for Nintendo, and they're game sales will boom. It may be a risk, but its a good idea when you think about it. Why would someone go and play online on PS2 or Xbox and pay, when they can get the game for Gamecube, and be able to jump straight on, skipping not only the payment issue, but the time consuming downloadables and payment issues. This in my opinion is the best thing Nintendo could possibly do.

Thats how they should enter it Mouse_Clicker, a safe and effective way. Microsofts online system has two problems, it runs on broadband, and it costs money. More people are willing to buy a game with free online capability then to go off and buy a game with online capabilty, but an installation, and not only that, but they have to have broadband, AND pay for it. We're talking 60 bucks a month to play Mech Assault.

This in my opinion is the best way for Nintendo to enter into the Online Gaming world, and it should blow the competition away.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2003, 02:31:23 PM »
It's not that easy, Nazgul- with PC games, most owners already have internet service, which they readily use, making an online PC game easier to work out. A console, however, is not a computer and requires a lot of work to get games online. It just amazes me that you all think you know busines better than one of the most successful corporations ever. It'd be like me giving Steven Spielberg tips on directing. Online gaming isn't profitable, Nintendo's been trying for over a decade now. Get over it.