Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 Review  (Read 95613 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Mario Kart 8 Review
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »

Mario’s latest kart-racing game is beautiful and fun, but too often it becomes bland.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/37427/mario-kart-8-review

Video review below!

If there’s one word that can quickly sum up Nintendo’s latest entry in the Mario Kart series, it’s beautiful. From top to bottom, this is a gorgeous game, likely the best-looking one Nintendo has ever made. Even the soundtrack is superb, with amazing songs that call to mind past Mario games in new musical styles. Behind that beauty, unfortunately, is a degree of vapidness. Mario Kart 8 is just like any other Mario Kart game you’ve played in recent years, adding little to the franchise other than polish and some middling additions and tweaks.

Playing through Mario Kart 8 feels mechanical. Like every recent Mario Kart game, there are eight cups containing 32 tracks, half of which are remade courses from past games. There’s another take on Rainbow Road, on Bowser’s Castle, on Mario Circuit, etc. All the retro tracks are lovingly remixed, twisting what you remember about past tracks and turning them into something that feels new and unique, taking advantage of air, sea, and zero-gravity. Two standouts for me were Toad’s Turnpike and Rainbow Road, both from Mario Kart 64 originally. They are reminiscent of the 18-year-old tracks, but they feel different and are extremely fun to race, with Toad’s Turnpike letting you race on the walls and Rainbow Road featuring ample amounts of jumps.

Woefully, the single-player, which is structured like recent Mario Kart games, is brief and boring, focused on making you replay cups at different difficulty levels to unlock every character. While sometimes the courses seem more focused on being a graphical spectacle, the way some courses evolve and change, such as Thwomp Ruins, is awesome. Most courses have multiple forks at different points that are faster or slower depending on your items. The only saving grace of the single-player is that you don’t necessarily need to do it all by yourself; all the content can be unlocked by playing Grand Prix mode with up to four players.

While single-player is just more of the same, the clear focus and highlight of Mario Kart 8 is multiplayer, whether it’s split-screen or online (or both!). Four-player split-screen only loses a little bit of graphical fidelity and remains a total blast. Once again the series bests any other multiplayer racing game I’ve ever played. Online runs smoothly as well, and while I would love to be able to talk with my friends during the races, it is still fun playing against other people while getting to smack talk in the lobby.

Outside of the shiny HD graphics, the big new addition for Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart TV. Technically, it is very impressive. As far as I can tell, the game records your recent races, allowing you to customize your very own highlight reel using a few different options with little to no load times. You can even post that highlight reel to Miiverse or YouTube (YouTube functionality was not up at the time of the review).

Rewatching the highlight reels is fun, especially in multiplayer, because you can see what other racers did and instantly slow down or speed up the gameplay for dramatic effect. It’s novel but ultimately pointless. When realizing how smoothly Mario Kart TV runs, it makes me sad those resources weren’t used to do something that actually integrates into the gameplay or single-player. Instead, Mario Kart TV is a cherry on top of a week-old cupcake.

The biggest bummer of all is Battle mode. Instead of featuring arenas, you can choose between eight modified regular courses. The foundation is sound, as it becomes more of a jousting match as you circle around the course attacking other players, but the lack of an on-screen map makes finding other players difficult on the large circuitous tracks.

Mario Kart 8 is an enjoyable game that hits the basic bullet points required for the series. The new tracks are fun and the retro courses are reinvented and radical. Playing in multiplayer is still great fun, but the poor single-player experience sadly damns this game. Outside of Mario Kart TV, it adds very little that hasn’t been done before, and Mario Kart TV is nothing more than a superfluous addition.

I like playing Mario Kart 8. I think it’s a satisfactory entry in the series, but nothing more. The final package ends up feeling like someone who covers themselves in makeup to hide the fact that they are 10 years older than they are pretending to be.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline gamewizard65

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8 Review
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »
Majority of other reviews I've watched praised MK TV. Its all about the racing, baby! While it is a shame that those who enjoyed previous iterations of battle mode in an arena setting, will not be happy battling while race on the tracks selected, in the end, its a very minor part of the game.

What the hell does one expect from a single player mode! Pathetic review, pathetic site, plus this coupled with mainly negative RFN podcasts, Nintendo fans should steer clear of this negative sore fest!
When it comes to Gaming Greatness, there is no substitute for Gamewizard65!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:03 AM »
What the hell does one expect from a single player mode!

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and even Diddy Kong Racing shows what one can expect from a single-player racing campaign, and they were awesome for it. Split/Second's campaign was repetitive, but at least it managed some variety with different events, a progression system, & tracks that would loop in on one another to play with expectations. That Mario Kart's SP continues to be completely half-assed and boring shouldn't be acceptable anymore.  The bar's been set, and by Sega of all companies. Nintendo can at least pretend to show up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TAYREL713

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:38:44 AM »
An unexpected score but Neal and I rarely agree so I guess not an expected score, lol. I never was big into Battle Mode so thats a wash but "bland" that is a telling bit of phrasing. I guess I know what I'm in for when it comes to Mario Kart and I'm okay with it.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:50 AM »

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and even Diddy Kong Racing shows what one can expect from a single-player racing campaign, and they were awesome for it.

I always feel so alone in my opinion of Sonic All-Stars.  I thought it was a janky, confusing, un-fun mess of a game.  With boring visual design to boot.  I think the ultimate problem with it though was that Sega's stable of characters definitely leaves something to be desired...Sonic and his shitty friends indeed.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
Just added video review to article.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline latterdayrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »
Neal and Daan's review scores were determined before they ever played the game.  Based on comments from Connectivity, it's clear that Neal and Daan are tired of the core gameplay of Mario Kart.  I respect that that is their honest opinion of the game and the series, but maybe take that into account when reviews are assigned.  This is a Nintendo enthusiast site, so I assume that there is someone on staff who is still excited about Mario Kart.  Let that person review the game.  Personally, I still really love the core Mario Kart gameplay elements, and I'm okay that it has become a bit iterative.  I spent hours playing MKWii and MK7, and I can't wait to spend hours playing MK8!

I love the content you guys make, but if you find yourself thinking "this is more of the same," realize that this game series doesn't match your personal tastes anymore and find someone who can look at the game from a less jaded perspective.

Offline jwriston

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
A Nintendo-based site gives by far the worst reviews for a Nintendo-published game? You are entitled to your opinions but I'm pretty disappointed by this. I hope these scores don't keep anyone away from what many are calling the best entry in the series. I'm looking forward to playing this with all of my Wii U loving friends.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »
Nothing like fanboys outraging over a score being too low before even playing the game themselves.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
I actually went into playing the final version of Mario Kart 8 being super excited for it. I might have had reservations over the past year or so, but in the past month, I've gotten more and more excited for it. My logic? Well, it's Mario Kart. I'll have fun with it because it's Mario Kart. I embraced it like that, hoping to recapture the love and affection I had for MKWii and MK:DD.

Then I played the final game, and it really made every reservation and worry come to light (as I wrote about in the review). I played a lot of Mario Kart 8, and while I totally had fun with it (and I'm sure most of you critiquing this review will have even more fun with it), it just felt hollow to me. I started playing this game wanting to love it unabashedly like everyone else. It didn't happen that way. I didn't even totally realize I was skewing negative until I put the pen to paper.

Sorry you guys disagree with my score and my text.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
You gave the game a score without talking about the online multiplayer at all. What's the difference here between this and Mario Golf?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »
Never mind that last sentence. I clearly can't read.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MastaPo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
How come "Choose from over 50 different baby racers" isn't on the Pros list?

Like the moon over
the day my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools
 ~ Bowser's Haiku

Offline latterdayrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
I actually went into playing the final version of Mario Kart 8 being super excited for it. I might have had reservations over the past year or so, but in the past month, I've gotten more and more excited for it. My logic? Well, it's Mario Kart. I'll have fun with it because it's Mario Kart. I embraced it like that, hoping to recapture the love and affection I had for MKWii and MK:DD.

Then I played the final game, and it really made every reservation and worry come to light (as I wrote about in the review). I played a lot of Mario Kart 8, and while I totally had fun with it (and I'm sure most of you critiquing this review will have even more fun with it), it just felt hollow to me. I started playing this game wanting to love it unabashedly like everyone else. It didn't happen that way. I didn't even totally realize I was skewing negative until I put the pen to paper.

Sorry you guys disagree with my score and my text.

Fair enough.  All I expect is that the reviewer approach the game with an open mind, and it sounds like you did.  I admit that my comment was aimed a bit more at Daan, since I am usually irked when a reviewer begins an "unbiased" review by stating how bored he or she has been by previous entries in the series.  Then again, it is impossible to be truly unbiased about anything.

I don't hate the review, Neal, and I have never been the guy to rage about a review of a game I haven't played.  I just wanted to submit my two cents about pre-review expectations.

Offline Stele

• View Profile
Grand Prix Co-Op!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Thank you so much for mentioning GP Coop.  Most reviews have neglected this one way or the other.  It was one of the best things about the earlier MK games, and was sorely missing from the Wii version.  So glad they brought it back.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
I love the content you guys make, but if you find yourself thinking "this is more of the same," realize that this game series doesn't match your personal tastes anymore and find someone who can look at the game from a less jaded perspective.

I would argue that "this is more of the same" is exactly what longtime Nintendo fans that frequent and Nintendo fan site would want to know.  You can assume that most of NWR's readers have played damn near every Mario Kart game so their experience would be similar to that of the reviewers'.  You're essentially saying that they should review it from the perspective of a newcomer but that's not the staff or the audience.

Mario Kart 8 sounds like it's Mario Kart, no more no less.  If you're sick of it, then you'll probably not be interested.  If you're not, you'll probably like it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
Don't worry if you don't like this game you can enjoy all the other excellent games coming out on the system like.... lemme think a mimute........ just give me a second.......

....I'm gonna go play xenoblade.....

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
Every single person who owns a Wii U has played at least one previous Mario Kart game. Everyone has different opinions if this series coming into the newest game, and those are going to color (not pre-determine) your reaction to what the new one brings or doesn't bring. That is inevitable when you're dealing with such a long-running franchise.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
Obviously you shouldn't have to apologize for your score, Neal. I'm just surprised at the venom I'm picking up from your review. Battle mode in Mario Kart has never been good, in my opinion, but I don't understand what more you could possibly want from Gamepad integration aside from gyro steering and mini-map display. Mario Kart is still meant to be played in groups, and the single-Gamepad pairing to the console means any additional functionality would be unfair to pro or Wii remote players.

While this seems like an excuse, it's more of a sad truth. Nintendo still had to create a Mario Kart experience that worked for every pro and con of the Wii U. I don't understand how a game can "best any other multiplayer racing game [you have] ever played" and still be the example of mediocrity, but hopefully you stand by your score.

I would have been interested to hear how ATVs handle and what community matchmaking is like, but if you don't think those features are interesting or noteworthy enough to warrant discussion, I'll leave it at that.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline twofiftyone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
Diddy Kong Racing was practically a single player Kart Racer with Mult-iplayer added on (probably why they made a DS port)

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I'm told that you can unlock things while playing 2-player. This is a big deal It was my favorite thing in Double Dash and it's why I gave away my copy of Mario Kart Wii. We always play with at least 2 players.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm told that you can unlock things while playing 2-player. This is a big deal It was my favorite thing in Double Dash and it's why I gave away my copy of Mario Kart Wii. We always play with at least 2 players.

Yeah, that inclusion makes me very happy! :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
Obviously you shouldn't have to apologize for your score, Neal. I'm just surprised at the venom I'm picking up from your review. Battle mode in Mario Kart has never been good, in my opinion, but I don't understand what more you could possibly want from Gamepad integration aside from gyro steering and mini-map display. Mario Kart is still meant to be played in groups, and the single-Gamepad pairing to the console means any additional functionality would be unfair to pro or Wii remote players.

For one, I don't even think I really mentioned the GamePad that much in my review. Still, one super easy thing to do was figure out how to make one player play off of the GamePad and another use the TV (e.g. like how Call of Duty: Black Ops II handled multiplayer). That's a simple, basic way to make the GamePad integrate with the game.

Outside of that? Well, I don't make games, but Nintendo did make Nintendo Land, which has incredible uses of the GamePad. If they created some kind of unique multiplayer Mario Kart experience using the GamePad, that would have been new, unique, and potentially incredible. Instead, they made a bad Battle mode and added the ability to upload videos to YouTube. Yay?

While this seems like an excuse, it's more of a sad truth. Nintendo still had to create a Mario Kart experience that worked for every pro and con of the Wii U. I don't understand how a game can "best any other multiplayer racing game [you have] ever played" and still be the example of mediocrity, but hopefully you stand by your score.

7.5 isn't mediocrity. By my rough personal estimate, I term 7.5 to represent "the average game I would play" if that helps you at all.

Mario Kart, as a series, is the best multiplayer racing experience ever for me. Not saying it's the best multiplayer game period or the best game ever. That fact also doesn't wash away the boring single-player, the mostly uninteresting additions/tweaks, and the fact that it's the same as it ever was.

I would have been interested to hear how ATVs handle and what community matchmaking is like, but if you don't think those features are interesting or noteworthy enough to warrant discussion, I'll leave it at that.

ATVs handle slightly different than karts. Personally, I never used them that much because I quickly preferred using bikes and stuck with what I liked.

Matchmaking is similar to MK7 but a little bit more beefed up.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Tyto_Alba

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
Don't understand why you are trying to talk everybody out of getting this game. Maybe you should be writing for gamespot.

Offline latterdayrasta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »

I would argue that "this is more of the same" is exactly what longtime Nintendo fans that frequent and Nintendo fan site would want to know.  You can assume that most of NWR's readers have played damn near every Mario Kart game so their experience would be similar to that of the reviewers'.  You're essentially saying that they should review it from the perspective of a newcomer but that's not the staff or the audience.

Mario Kart 8 sounds like it's Mario Kart, no more no less.  If you're sick of it, then you'll probably not be interested.  If you're not, you'll probably like it.

I was not at all trying to say that games should be reviewed from the perspective of a newcomer.  Just the opposite.  All reviewers have their own tastes for certain games and genres.  I'm arguing that those tastes should be taken into account when the review is assigned.  I don't want to read a review of a football game by someone who is tired of football games.  Their opinion is going to be "this is like other football games I've played, and thus it is boring because it resembles those games."  How is that useful to me as a reader?