Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615278 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1875 on: November 21, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
Hey Ceric I kinda had the same issues but there is ways to go about it to make the first dungeon. I think most of us are just doing things the hard way when there is an easier way. I have already died 3 times in the dungeon and in retrospect they could have been avoided if I did a few things differently.The first 2 times were because I was doing things the hard way and the last time was near the end of the dungeon. You guys need to keep in mind to use all of your sword attacks. Some attacks are more effective on certain monsters. Anyway I am going to get back into the game right now.
If its not a Skulltula or a Web I'm pretty good Getting rid of the enemies.  Its just those stupid Skulltula.  I've died 6 times 4 of those from the same Skulltula. The other 2 from other Skulltula...
How are you fighting it? Is it still attached to its web overhead?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
Hey Ceric I kinda had the same issues but there is ways to go about it to make the first dungeon. I think most of us are just doing things the hard way when there is an easier way. I have already died 3 times in the dungeon and in retrospect they could have been avoided if I did a few things differently.The first 2 times were because I was doing things the hard way and the last time was near the end of the dungeon. You guys need to keep in mind to use all of your sword attacks. Some attacks are more effective on certain monsters. Anyway I am going to get back into the game right now.
If its not a Skulltula or a Web I'm pretty good Getting rid of the enemies.  Its just those stupid Skulltula.  I've died 6 times 4 of those from the same Skulltula. The other 2 from other Skulltula...
Unfortunately yes because its made of the webbing that is impervious to Sling Shot fire.

Eventually what I've had to do is do a Light Slash horizontally to get it flipped around but now its swinging like mad as I try to poke it since vertical slashes aren't working.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1877 on: November 21, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
Unfortunately yes because its made of the webbing that is impervious to Sling Shot fire.

Eventually what I've had to do is do a Light Slash horizontally to get it flipped around but now its swinging like mad as I try to poke it since vertical slashes aren't working.
Well you have to time your pokes well. You have the beetle yet?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: November 21, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »

Well you have to time your pokes well. You have the beetle yet?
No, I'm hoping I'll get it soon.  Once I have it I know I can cut the lines with it.

Though when I was playing the demo in target, which is why I know the Beetle can cut the lines, I didn't know about final strikes so I get them flipped over but I couldn't hit there tummies.

I also like to find some tumbleweed so I can finish upgrading my shield but, I figure that's in the desert area.  I really haven't gotten much parts except ambers...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:03:29 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1879 on: November 21, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
If you are where I think you are then you should be able to use your slingshot on something. Look around and see if you can find it. It should open up where the beetle is.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: November 21, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
How does the difficulty of thi game comapre to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: November 21, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
How does the difficulty of thi game comapre to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?
So far for me I say harder.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1882 on: November 21, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
How does the difficulty of this game compare to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?
It is the hardest 3D Zelda game. Majora's Mask is probably behind it as far as difficulty goes. The rest of the 3D Zelda games are way easier then this. c

Anyway I am starting the second area. Make sure you get a different shield for the area.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »
I finally found an opening to go in and pick up my copy of Skyward Sword (which, using my 15% off coupon was only around $42.  Nice).  Just looking through the packaging, I really like how they've handled the symphony CD by giving it its own disc tray and liner notes w/ track listing.  So many companies just throw these things into little paper sleeves and call it a day.

I did get a little scared for a moment putting the game in, though, as the game insisted on a firmware update.  I was afraid my import copy of Xenoblade was about to get ****ed over.  Thankfully, all the firmware update did was update the firmware...to the same firmware I already had.  Thanks for wasting my time, Nintendo!

Staring the game now...
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: November 21, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
On My it came up and Thanked me for Purchasing the game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: November 21, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
Wow, I haven't seen aiming this sluggish since the last time I plugged in my Playstation Move.  Why did Nintendo decide to only use MotionPlus for the aiming, when the Wii's most consistent strength has been the speed of its pointer control?  It's taking me a long time to get used to having to use Z-targeting for camera control as well.  I know the Wii can't do any better without losing the motion controls and supporting the Classic Controller Pro, but Z-targeting feels really clunky these days.  I really wish the dialogue was as fast to display by default as it is when you hold down the A button, as well.

I'm also confused as to why Nintendo had to go with save points when you can save whenever you want in Xenoblade and previous Zelda games (though in those games, you were taken back to the beginning of the dungeon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:12:47 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 21, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
How does the difficulty of this game compare to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?
It is the hardest 3D Zelda game. Majora's Mask is probably behind it as far as difficulty goes. The rest of the 3D Zelda games are way easier then this. c

Anyway I am starting the second area. Make sure you get a different shield for the area.

The reason I ask is because I could beat those games blindfolded.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: November 21, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
I think it's because you need those points for other things.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1888 on: November 21, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »
I think it's because you need those points for other things.
Yep the save points are also like warp points in that you can go to those places rightway when entering the area if you examine them. There is some need to go back to the areas after you finish up the dungeon in that area.The areas are pretty big so it is nice to go to a certain area without going through it all. Also they are ways to get back up to the sky.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:28:41 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »
So I asked this over at Pixlbit, but didn't get a complete answer.

This is now the earliest Zelda game, set before Ocarina of Time.  Where does Minish cap fit? I thought that was the origin of his green hat.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Does the loftwing ever not suck as a mode of transportation?  I just finished catching the golden snitch at the Quidditch match winning the Loftwing "race", and I've found that thing a lot harder to control and steer than it feels like it really should (it didn't help that Zelda's endless tutorials kept getting in the way).

EDIT: Oh geez...skydiving controls even worse.  It took me probably 8-9 times to get that sequence right, and every time I failed I had to page through the same Zelda dialogue.  Ugh...

Why, Nintendo?  Why did you have to shove motion control where it wasn't needed and where it didn't make the game any more immersive?  The bird would have controlled fine with the analog stick, but at least that I can kind of understand why you mapped it to motion control.  But there's nothing intuitive about how skydiving controls, and it would have been just fine with an analog stick.  Sheesh, it's stuff like this that makes Nintendo hard to cheer for with 1st party software: putting motion control where it's not needed and actually makes the game worse just to have it there.  It's DKCR rolling and Mario Galaxy spin attack all over again...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:21:19 PM by broodwars »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1891 on: November 21, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
The loftwing works fine as long as you keep these things in mind.
Keeping a steady hand helps when flying. Use small turns of the wiimote and you should be able to steer easier rather then wide movements. If you are trying to accend then try to make sure you raise your wiimote at a steady pace and to level it out when you get enough highth. As for Sky diving I have only come across one other time that I have skydived but it is optional. I had to skydive from the sky onto an island below the clouds. Again small movements tend to work best as you freefall. I think maybe your gripe has to do with the short  amount of time you had to react and get in the small circle at the start.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ax23000

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: November 21, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
Does the loftwing ever not suck as a mode of transportation?  I just finished catching the golden snitch at the Quidditch match winning the Loftwing "race", and I've found that thing a lot harder to control and steer than it feels like it really should (it didn't help that Zelda's endless tutorials kept getting in the way).

EDIT: Oh geez...skydiving controls even worse.  It took me probably 8-9 times to get that sequence right, and every time I failed I had to page through the same Zelda dialogue.  Ugh...

Why, Nintendo?  Why did you have to shove motion control where it wasn't needed and where it didn't make the game any more immersive?  The bird would have controlled fine with the analog stick, but at least that I can kind of understand why you mapped it to motion control.  But there's nothing intuitive about how skydiving controls, and it would have been just fine with an analog stick.  Sheesh, it's stuff like this that makes Nintendo hard to cheer for with 1st party software: putting motion control where it's not needed and actually makes the game worse just to have it there.  It's DKCR rolling and Mario Galaxy spin attack all over again...

Both the skydiving and the Loftwing are straight out of Wii Sports Resort.  Actually, they were two of my favorite events in that game...so I guess I'm a little biased in my answer to your question.  That answer being that I find that the Loftwing is pretty easy to control once you get used to it.  Actually, because of all the hours I logged with the plane in Resort I found it easy to control right away. 

Just think of the remote as a toy plane and fly it the way you would pretend to fly planes when you were a kid.  Bank the remote and the bird banks that way.  Point down and the bird dives.  Point up and the bird points up.  The only tricky element is remembering that you have to 'flap' to gain altitude.  Don't overdo the flapping.  A few slow flaps is all it takes to climb pretty quickly.  Actually, in general, don't over do any of the motions.  Your bird will do exactly what your remote does, so if you're waving it wildly about your bird will fly wildly about.  If you need precision, for example to jump on an island, don't be afraid to use the B button to brake.

Skydiving is definitely trickier, because it's incredibly precise and because you have to do the motion just so.  I think they probably should have given a few more tips on how to move the remote for that one.  That said, it actually works really well.  As with much in Skyward Sword, practice makes perfect.  I will totally agree that they should have skipped the dialog for when you messed up though...very annoying....and not very conductive to said practice.

As for being hard to cheer for Nintendo 1st party software, I'd argue that the sharp gameplay and design is a pretty compelling reason to cheer for Nintendo 1st party software.  Not to mention the fantastic art design and music.  Especially when you're talking about games as good as Galaxy, DKR, and Skyward Sword.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1893 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
I loved the flying in Wii Sports Resort, I sunk a lot of time into the Island Flyover event and wish there was a mode to eliminate the 5 minute limit and just let me explore as long as I wish.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: November 21, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
Wow, I haven't seen aiming this sluggish since the last time I plugged in my Playstation Move.  Why did Nintendo decide to only use MotionPlus for the aiming, when the Wii's most consistent strength has been the speed of its pointer control? 

I'm also confused as to why Nintendo had to go with save points when you can save whenever you want in Xenoblade and previous Zelda games (though in those games, you were taken back to the beginning of the dungeon.

I felt the same way about the pointer controls with the menus.  But with actual weapons it felt better.  It's not terrible, but I just finished Twilight Princess a second time a couple of hours before playing Skyward Sword so it's definitely noticeable. 

The other reason Nintendo may have decided to have specific save spots could be because of the glitches in Twilight Princess due to being able to save anywhere.

Also I definitely enjoy the little improvements over TP.  The sprint button, being able to run up a wall a little bit.  You can quickly crawl and climb.  Even the standard vine climbing has been improved.  I was curious how they would make the nunchuck work since it hasn't been improved.  But moving the spin attack to both controllers freed up the shield thrust to be the only nunchuck motion move.  And that made both moves a million times easier to pull off. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:24:02 PM by gojira »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
I'm waiting for Ian to post his thoughts on this. As for me, 2 more days.....

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: November 21, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »
I was curious how they would make the nunchuck work since it hasn't been improved.  But moving the spin attack to both controllers freed up the shield thrust to be the only nunchuck motion move.  And that made both moves a million times easier to pull off.

Yeah, no kidding.  The shield bash actually works now when you waggle the nunchuck, something it only did 20% of the time in Twilight Princess, if even that often.  I still keep my shield stowed when I don't immediately need it, though.  I don't think weapon degradation has been a good thing in any game it has ever appeared in, and I'm not fond of dealing with it here with shields.

I'm quite a bit further in now, probably about half of the way through the first temple.  I just got the beetle, a device that I've been fond of since it was initially shown off.  Aside from a little floaty control, I think the motion controls actually work just fine with it as well.  It helps, of course, that so far I haven't run into a section where I have to navigate it down very tight and twisty areas.  I could definitely do without the silly timer on it, though.

I'm gradually starting to get a feel for the game, and it is growing on me.  The way you have to approach the various enemies just clicks with me, particularly the way you have to deal with the giant enemy spiders (Skulltulas) before you get the aforementioned item (hit them sideways until they spin around, so you then thrust into their belly for massive damage).  The sword combat doesn't work quite how it feels it's supposed to in places, though.  There are times when I've definitely done a horizontal slash on one of those Deku plants with a horizontal mouth, and the game still registers the swing as the wrong type for no apparent reason.  Thrusting seems more responsive than it was in Twilight Princess, though.

I really can't stand Fi, though.  She has yet to say anything useful or interesting, and she talks probably more than Midna and Navi combined.  Not to mention every time the game wants you to look at something, it keeps beeping the button until you acquiesce to its demands.  That gets incredibly annoying.

On a sidenote, it is nice to have a reason to collect rupees for once in a Zelda game.  Partway through the forest area, I used a save point to jump back to Skytown.  It feels really gimmicky that you have to ring a bell on Beetle's shop with the slingshot to get to it, but it's not terribly annoying.  I ended buying the bug net and my first wallet extension.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:00:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1897 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
You could use the Beetle too to ring the bell as well.I have all of the wallet upgrades right now and I haven't even made it into the 2nd dungeon. I went and upgraded my iron shield to the second level.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 21, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
Wow, that first boss was hard (and tiring), but once I figure out the trick to his second phase and to use my shield to block his dash move, he was doable.  It took my fairie and my lone life potion to do it, though.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1899 on: November 21, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »
So I asked this over at Pixlbit, but didn't get a complete answer.

This is now the earliest Zelda game, set before Ocarina of Time.  Where does Minish cap fit? I thought that was the origin of his green hat.

There's some video about the split timeline theory on YouTube that berates people for thinking that. The timeline as a whole is mostly conjecture since Nintendo won't put out an official one; however, he does make a few good points that work in retrospect.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.