Author Topic: Free!  (Read 8560 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: Free Online!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 09:22:18 AM »
So by the laws of geometry, aren't they responsible for someone dying?

That makes two crimes Sony has committed.

Don't tell me you forgot about the armed robbery on launch day?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 09:25:12 AM »
Disclaimers fix that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Free Online!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 09:27:50 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
In an interview with Steven Totilo<sp?> @ minE3, Reggie all but said there was an online portion of SSBB.
He said they would announce more regarding SSBB in the near future and to keep checking the Dojo for updates.
The way he dodged the question, to me, sounds like they want to save it as a surprise for a later date.
So don't be too scared, as it sounds like its coming and soon.

That still worries me.

I've actually refused to preorder a copy of SSBB because a roommate already has and we decided that we don't need two copies unless we have online play.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »
I want to say originally a second party team did Everquest and only recently did SoE really take control of it first part wise . . . but I'm not sure.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 09:29:42 AM »
can't you cancel a pre-order if you change your mind?
I know that you will be able to walk into any store at noon on launch day and pick one up off the shelf.....
but sometimes you just never know

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »
I'm actually not worried because he and I wouldn't just run home and jump online with it anyway: we'd both want to unlock characters and such before doing so.

Also, the Gamestop will DEFINITELY have a midnight launch for it, unlike the BS the other GS pulled with the Wii.

It helps that I'm dating the manager of this one. Heh heh...  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »
Thats so wrong on so many levels.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:10 AM »
That store should be Febreezed top to bottom, right away.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »
She runs a very good store, actually, and I don't date her IN the Gamestop.

I took BnM's advice and just reserved a copy anyway. I had +/- $150 in store credit from selling games back and I can just move it if it turns out to not have online play.

I'm sincerely hoping it has it, however.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 03:25:34 PM »
So when shes mad at you you owe 150 and when things are fine you have 150?
I hope it does too.

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
ds = no fee for years, the wii wont either... nintendo online sucks ass anyways, noone in their right mind would pay for that shet the way it is right now.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »
My theory as to why Brawl online hasn't been 150% confirmed (As far as I can tell, we already knwo it will be online...I don't know why we need it triple talked about, but whatever) simple...anyone remember that XFire is working on something for a console? Well, MS has Live, Sony has Home, Nintendo has WFC, or do they? Brawl to use integrated XFire for Wii ftw?
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline AzureNightmare

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 07:47:34 PM »
lets keep the discussions logical and factual, not anecdotal.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan
My theory as to why Brawl online hasn't been 150% confirmed (As far as I can tell, we already knwo it will be online...I don't know why we need it triple talked about, but whatever) simple...anyone remember that XFire is working on something for a console? Well, MS has Live, Sony has Home, Nintendo has WFC, or do they? Brawl to use integrated XFire for Wii ftw?

This theory is stupid.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2007, 11:04:07 PM »
I believe that Nintendo will eventually need to move into a more robust online experience. Not for hardcore gamers, mind you, but because non-gamers and casual gamers will find voice communication much more intuitive than text. Once again, it'll be the blue ocean that pulls them forward, and hardcore gamers will weep bitter tears of egocentric self-pity. The only thing left to figure out is... how to protect online voice chatting gamers from themselves...

What about that voice-to-text technology that Nintendo was rumored to be working on? The reason I bring this up is because once stuff is in text form... it'd be easier to filter for offensive content, a sort of online voice v-chip, if you may, that would make online communication a little bit more civilized, and perhaps even inspire a lifting of the friendcode embargo we're currently under?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 11:57:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
What about that voice-to-text technology that Nintendo was rumored to be working on? The reason I bring this up is because once stuff is in text form... it'd be easier to filter for offensive content, a sort of online voice v-chip, if you may, that would make online communication a little bit more civilized, and perhaps even inspire a lifting of the friendcode embargo we're currently under?

Animal Crossing censors curse words 'n' stuff.  Why does it still use friend codes then, huh?
GOREGASM!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2007, 04:28:15 AM »

She's never mad at me. I bring her food and energy drinks when she works double shifts. She basically opted to do the midnight launch just for me.

I believe that Nintendo will eventually need to move into a more robust online experience. Not for hardcore gamers, mind you, but because non-gamers and casual gamers will find voice communication much more intuitive than text. Once again, it'll be the blue ocean that pulls them forward, and hardcore gamers will weep bitter tears of egocentric self-pity. The only thing left to figure out is... how to protect online voice chatting gamers from themselves...

I agree totally.

I think the friend codes stick out like a sore thumb amongst Nintendo's allegedly "casual friendly" repertoire. You have all these internet services which are easy to use and access like the Weather and News channels. Then, in the midst of that, you have this "give them your 16 digit code and they give you theirs, which you then need to register, punch in, etc. to play with them" system. It just doesn't add up.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2007, 05:26:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Don't they use hda in linux.  Its been a while.  \dev\hda1

Isn't Sony responsible for Everquest?

Yes they are responsible for Eva-crack

And about linux, hda is a harddrive as would be hda2.  However, there is also hdb, hdc, hdd, etc.

Where /dev/ is device.  

FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2007, 09:23:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

This theory is stupid.

Do tell what's so stupid about it please. I can't be content with my ideas being blatantly called stupid without some sort of reasoning.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

This theory is stupid.

Do tell what's so stupid about it please. I can't be content with my ideas being blatantly called stupid without some sort of reasoning.

I wont call your theory stupid but I will say it is highly unlikely.

Nintendo's E3 big spiel about "when is Nintendo going to get serious about going online?" and whatnot and responding to the question by saying "we already are" has me doubtful that they would introduce something like Xfire into the equasion with Brawl.

Let's say Nintendo wanted to keep this news secret till a later date, I would say (knowing Nintendo's style) they would drop hints and say something is in the works but they can't say anything specific blah blah.

Also, Xfire is based solely on the Windows operating system which would make the likely hood of it appearing on say Xbox far more likely. (Although they have stated that once the Xfire on PC is perfected a mac version will come out).

I dunno just seems very unlikely.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Animal Crossing censors curse words 'n' stuff.  Why does it still use friend codes then, huh?

:/ I guess you're right. DARN!

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

She's never mad at me. I bring her food and energy drinks when she works double shifts. She basically opted to do the midnight launch just for me.

I wish you every possible good thing in this endeavor.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:52 PM »
I would attribute the friend codes in animal crossing more of a way to well coordinate connections to other towns.

They could of had a "random" system in place but I am not sure how well that would have worked.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
for as much nintendo is charging for VC games and for as much money as they are making.........they better not ever charge for online
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Hahahahaha, well, since you seem to be so attached to your "ideas" then I'll break it down for you.

1. XFire have been rumoured to be making something for unspecified consoles. Here's the interview for those unaware of this:

You previously commented that you were "in talks with one other console maker", but haven't revealed who this is. Is it safe to assume that you were talking about Nintendo, and what has become of this discussion?

Stay tuned!

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13325

This means nothing at the current time. You can read tea leaves as much as you want, the official word is "No comment". If you'd even read the full interview you'd have seen that there is already a PS3 game using Xfire tools (it was a PS2 port but that's beside the point).

There have been no official annoucements regarding Xfire and console makers.

2. Nintendo's online service is behind the competition. That's a fact. There's no integration at the console level unlike XBL/PSN, which means developers have to implement their own online systems ( sup friend codes). The fact that the hardware supports online does not make things any easier -- in fact, it makes things harder for developers because it now carries an expectation that online should be implemented for most games.

And they're now a subsidiary of Viacom, which means that they will go where the money is, irrespective of the opportunity being presented.

Xfire wouldn't make a product unless they knew that it would be a profitable venture - and the Wii's online platform is a mess in its current form

3. Xfire is not the silver bullet for online gaming. Its merely a tool to enable gamers to communicate with friends and arrange games. It does not help with the underlying problem of making an online game. Xfire does not improve a game, but it enhances the user's experience. The presence of Xfire Wii tools will not affect Smash Bros or any other game because it isn't integral to the game - like the Dashboard for the 360.

Xfire is middleware

4. You're drawing a very, very long conclusion by linking this to Smash Bros. For one thing, we're still not sure about Brawl being online.
And why has it been continually delayed? Well, that's for the speculators to decide - and we can only go by the limited info available.

Feel free to speculate about Brawl, but if it was a good reason for delaying it then Nintendo would probably explain the situation. RIght?

So how about you look at facts rather than truthiness when it comes to things like this?

Hell, I just had a conversation with my gut and the truthiness it spouted indicated that Nintendo were delaying it and refining the game mechanics/levels/extras in order to release closer to the Christmas season and not interfere with Mario Sunshine. Forget competing with Halo 3. Forget the PS3 "tidal wave". They're probably aiming for a time when Wiis are abundant and will start a huge ad campaign for their marquee product.

I'll be quite surprised if Nintendo has been keeping online Brawl a secret for the shock value of it, but I won't rule out online.
There's just too much bullshit going on right now for me to believe this is simple.

If you want to create these alternate realities where things are more favourable then be my guest. But don't go sharing these "ideas" with us because its nonsense.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 01:53:19 AM »
You know.  Mario Galaxy has been announced for a relatively long time so why does everyone call it Sunshine?