Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39155 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:56 AM »
Nintendo would be more inclined to include flash memory into their next system due to the fact that HDD has moving parts that will eventually break down or may be faulty from the start. However, the cost of flash memory may be a huge factor for Nintendo. I paid $5 for a 1 GB USB flash drive at Kmart. I have seen a 4GB for about $10-15 and an 8 and 16 GB for $25 and 35. I also saw a 32 GB for $65. Within two to three years, the prices for these devices will drop like a stone. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:22 AM »
A 2d Mario level editor built into every system? With the ability to download, upload, and vote for the best ones.

Game. Set. Match.

This is why we like homebrew :)  One's almost done, though it's not built in, and may use the pretty simple "Riivolution" to load the new stages.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »
Nintendo would be more inclined to include flash memory into their next system due to the fact that HDD has moving parts that will eventually break down or may be faulty from the start. However, the cost of flash memory may be a huge factor for Nintendo. I paid $5 for a 1 GB USB flash drive at Kmart. I have seen a 4GB for about $10-15 and an 8 and 16 GB for $25 and 35. I also saw a 32 GB for $65. Within two to three years, the prices for these devices will drop like a stone. 
I also hope Nintendo surprises us with Holograhic storage next gen since they have been researching it heavily for the past 10 years or so.
100+GB of proprietary HoloStorage FTW

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:39 AM »
Why does flash memory cost so much more than HDD? I mean flash memory devices are smaller and more compact than the bigger hard drive.

This is a little off topic, but I can not help but ask. I have a 80 GB HDD and I want to convert it into an external hard drive. On the back of the HDD it says ATA. Supposedly this is the connection for the device. However, the enclosure that I am interested in buying is called SATA. Would my hard drive be compatible with this enclosure?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 02:20:32 AM »
Flash memory is more expensive for a few reason.
1 being that it is a much newer technology. HDD's have been around as long as PC's.
2 being form factor. Flash cards are much much smaller than your average harddrive.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
Flash memory is more expensive for a few reason.
1 being that it is a much newer technology. HDD's have been around as long as PC's.
2 being form factor. Flash cards are much much smaller than your average harddrive.

About the size of a postage stamp or quarter.  I had a 16 MB SD card and that is not even big enough to hold one song that is on my 8 GB SD card for my DSi.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:24:18 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
But enough about your wii
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:13 AM »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:25 AM »
LAN
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 03:39:07 AM »
The new system should have a built in version of Mario Paint.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
is your sanity...

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:02 AM »
Why does flash memory cost so much more than HDD? I mean flash memory devices are smaller and more compact than the bigger hard drive.

This is a little off topic, but I can not help but ask. I have a 80 GB HDD and I want to convert it into an external hard drive. On the back of the HDD it says ATA. Supposedly this is the connection for the device. However, the enclosure that I am interested in buying is called SATA. Would my hard drive be compatible with this enclosure?

i had to double check this, just wanted to make sure, but the answer is no. ata is the old format, and while sata is an upgrade to ata, they are not compatible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#Backward_and_forward_compatibility

not just from a compatibility point of view, the cables are different in size and shape.

a quick search of newegg (ata usb) found a few options, some that were even sata and ata compatible (meaning you may want to check to see if yours is too)

off topic, but i hope that helps.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
My one demand:

Good games that actually make use of the controller instead of falling back to using buttons.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
My one demand:

Good games that actually make use of the controller instead of falling back to using buttons.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
Anti-aliasing.

What is that?

Something the GameCube had.

And the Wii doesn't?

Can someone explain this? Was that kind of tech really in the Gamecube and not in the Wii? Is that why I think many Wii games look worse than Gamecube games?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
If anything, Achievements have given games longer lives with gamers as they will play a game longer than they normally would have.

Which is artificial inflation of gameplay time, and is exactly my point. If you need achievements to add replay value, then you screwed up making the original game. Want people to play your game longer? Add more content. Achievements are meaningless nothings that people slobber all over as if they were exchangeable for gold. It's like grinding in MMOs only instead of gaining levels or equipment, you get absolutely nothing.

You should be playing the game because you want to play the game, not because you want to unlock a completely pointless pop-up on your screen.

Do you also bitch about Super Smash Bros. Brawl having a built-in achievement system?

I assume you're talking about the trophies and the stickers? Yeah, they were pretty stupid. Most of it wasn't even unlockable by playing vs. and there was literally NO OTHER REASON to ever go back through the Subspace Emissary, because it was such a boring pile of fail in the first place.

Or arcade games 30+ years old having high scores?

Yeah, that was acceptable when literally the only reason to play the game was to get as far as you could. That's not the case with modern games. If you want high scores, play Donkey Kong. Personally I believe the artform has moved beyond "zomg I have to be number one," and into territory where games actually present satisfaction in the actual playing of them, rather than the end result.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
Maybe I should list what I liked about the Wii design in the first place.  That would make for a shorter post.

- hardware capabilities comparable to the competition
- support for current home theatre setups - HDMI, Dolby Digital, etc.
- no friend codes
- rechargable wireless controllers like the PS3.  No batteries, you just plug the thing in the system to recharge.
- the ability to map buttons on a console level.  So I can decide that B=A for ANY game whether or not the game itself supports it.  I want this for ALL consoles.  Seems like such a no-brainer idea.
- I'd like that suspend save that VC games have to be a system wide feature.  We're busy people.  I should be able to quick save ANY game.  Just make it like a save state that deletes itself when I load up my save to continue playing.  It's just an extended pause.
- a low price that is actually a low price.  Being forced to pay for a bundled game is not a deal.  Severely compromised hardware sold with a significant mark-up is NOT A DEAL.
- a more balanced marketing campaign.  The Wii is marketted too much as a casual machine.  "Everyone" does not mean casuals.  Everyone means EVERYONE so that means you have to try to market it to core gamers too.
- a controller that is designed for functionality and practicality, not for marketing purposes.  Hell if Nintendo just threw motion control out entirely I'd be thrilled but that's not realistic.  Packing in the classic controller and emphasizing the Wii2 as being about providing options and using the best control option for each game would be better than the current "motion control is ALWAYS the best" routine.  Make great games with great controls, don't try to FORCE some misguided idealogy on us.
- a design philosophy where one uses the best solution, whether that means coming up with something new or going with the tried-and-true, even if the competition came up with that idea first, based on the situtation.  Insisting on doing everything different is stupid.  Seek to improve, not to change.

Stuff to keep:
- typically Nintendo durability
- VC (and you keep your purchases from the first Wii)
- pack-in game (if it doesn't raise the console price)
- backwards compatibility with the Wii and Gamecube.

And solve the damn third party problem.  I think a Wii more like I describe above will help.  But I don't know for sure.  This is the end result that I absolutely DEMAND if they expect to keep my business next gen.  I don't know the solution but this is the end result I want.  The situation is unacceptable and Nintendo has to do SOMETHING to address it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
I'm just gonna throw a bunch of stuff out there.

One thing I would like(if Nintendo sticks with system codes) is a User Accounts option like Windows log in. That way if I'm using the console only my contacts show up, but if say my girl is using the Wii then only her contacts show up. that way no one is reading anyone else's messages or contacting someone else's friends. This also eliminates the need for friend codes on a game by game basis.

I also hope for a Free, but fully featured XBox Live rip off done in Nintendo stylings. I've never used XBL, but I hear it's about as good as your gonna find, so I definitely want Nintendo to copy the best things about Live and throw in a few things they might not have thought of. Better matchmaking, just knowing what your friends are playing while they're playing it and inviting friends to play when you see them on would be a big help in community building.

I have no issue with Awards (achievements/trophies) since they are an OPTIONAL task that any gamer can chase for a score that shows how dedicated they are to playing any and everything to completion. If you don't like Awards, don't chase them. But I could also see Nintendo tying Awards to post play My Nintendo Points.
"You've only received 4/10 Awards, you only get 20/50 My Nintendo Points for this game."

Ofcourse that only works with games you have registered, so that brings me to my next point.

Registration of 3rd party games and awarding of My Nintendo Points to go with them.
Nintendo profits off of every 3rd party game sold, so there is no reason to not be able to register them. They may not give as many points as a Nintendo produced game (3rd party game = 30pts / Nintendo game = 50pts), but it would still be incentive to support the 3rd parties and 3rd parties apparently need all the help they can get.

Also better prizes in My Nintendo. I know this has nothing to do with the Next Wii itself, but I'm hoping that the 2 will happen around the same time. New Wii, better prizes.

Motion Camera with Sensor bar attached. A motion camera on par if not better then EyeToy for increased motion tracking capabilities. No more disorientation of the M+ either.

Wiimote+. Wiimote with motion plus built in. Also a rechargeable battery pack wouldn't be a bad idea. if it got anywhere near 14-20hrs fully charged playtime, then it would be well worth it.

If the Vitality sensor is a hit, then I hope they find a way to integrate it into the controller. maybe turning the B trigger in to the sensor since that is the only button on the wiimote that would be comfortable to put a pointer finger in no matter how you hold the remote. The "Vitality Trigger" would have to be some sort of swivel finger encasing button though.

1080p graphics is already a given, and 3D capabilities out of the box with out a hit on performance just incase the concept ever takes off. Supposedly the GC and Wii already support it.

It should be able to play multimedia without hassle. DVD, MP3, whatever. media streaming out of the box would be great too. Or just encourage homebrewers to release their wares onto the WiiShop under an "Apps" section.
Nintendo too cheap to pay for DVD licensing? okay, put it in a DVD app that covers the DVD licensing cost. But lets just make it hassle free.

Built in storage. I don't care if it's a HDD (standardized and swappable), solid state or some of that holographic stuff they been working on, but make it happen. No less than 100GB to allow for all those new VC (GC - NES)/ WiiWare (upto 1GB) downloads.

Increased WiiWare game sizes. 40MB is too small & Developers are feeling restricted. Bump up the limit to at least 256MB but no more than 1GB.

Demos. 500MB - 1GB demo downloads. that shouldn't take no more than 30minutes to an hour on a decent connection and should be able to download in the background.

Background downloading and multitasking in general.
I should be able to download a WiiWare game from the WiiShop after reading a review on NWR through the Internet channel, but not exit the internet channel to check a message I just got that is making my disc drive glow.

Increased marketing support for everyone.
Something that incentivizes (is that a word) a 3rd party to actually advertise their own game. Like re-airing all Wii2/DS2 game ads on the Nintendo channel supporting original Nintendo Channel programming with Hulu like ad breaks.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
World peace and a consensus on the definition of "Archosauria" would also be nice.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
Was I asking for too much :P

I certainly don't expect all of that, but it would be nice if Nintendo was working towards some if not most or all of it.

I had more random "perfect world" additions, but I lost my train of thought due to some issues immediately surrounding me. Wish I could remember what they were.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
I have no issue with Awards (achievements/trophies) since they are an OPTIONAL task that any gamer can chase for a score that shows how dedicated they are to playing any and everything to completion. If you don't like Awards, don't chase them. But I could also see Nintendo tying Awards to post play My Nintendo Points.
"You've only received 4/10 Awards, you only get 20/50 My Nintendo Points for this game."

Ofcourse that only works with games you have registered, so that brings me to my next point.

This is a really good idea

Registration of 3rd party games and awarding of My Nintendo Points to go with them.
Nintendo profits off of every 3rd party game sold, so there is no reason to not be able to register them. They may not give as many points as a Nintendo produced game (3rd party game = 30pts / Nintendo game = 50pts), but it would still be incentive to support the 3rd parties and 3rd parties apparently need all the help they can get.

They already do this in Japan, don't know why they don't outside of Japan.

Also better prizes in My Nintendo. I know this has nothing to do with the Next Wii itself, but I'm hoping that the 2 will happen around the same time. New Wii, better prizes.

Same as above. Japan has great prizes like the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack and that Tingle's Balloon Trip  game for DS.

Nintendo too cheap to pay for DVD licensing? okay, put it in a DVD app that covers the DVD licensing cost. But lets just make it hassle free.

Since the system won't come out until at least 2012, I think it would be more wise to put Blu-ray Disc support in (although Nintendo might not want to since Sony would profit off of that).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
Blu-ray doesn't have as high of an adoption rate as Sony may want to lead us to believe.
DVD will remain dominant for many more years.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
DVD/Blu Ray playback would be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity. It would certainly make things easier for me. I don't actually own a dedicated DVD player. Yeah, I know I could get one for like $30, but why do that when I already have a PS3?

Anyway, fix voice chat. Wii Speak is f-ing lamezorz.
Anti-aliasing.
What is that?
Dude, seriously... Anti-aliasing

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
yes. that was on of my forgotten points.

WiiSpeak. GroupSpeak. Speakerphone sounds good on paper, but was very poorly executed on the Wii.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »
I think some of the problems with Wii Speak stem from the small amount of data that the Wii is capable of transferring over the Internet than it does the actual accessory. Since games with more action, like The Conduit, have much worse quality than a laid-back game like Animal Crossing, it seems like a possibility. Wii Speak could be somewhat fixed with more powerful hardware.