Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review  (Read 23156 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »
Whether you like it or not, when you give a game a perfect score you are declaring that the game is flawless, that there is no room for improvement.

As EVERY review outlet I have seen says, giving a game their highest score (10/10, 100/100, A+, etc.) does NOT mean they are saying the game is perfect or flawless. No game, movie, TV show, or anything else in entertainment is ever flawless. Usually it just means that the game is great, the flaws are so minor that they don't detract from the game, and that the game stands out as what other games (especially in that genre) should strive towards in terms of quality.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
A 10 doesn't mean the game is perfect. No game is perfect, and it doesn't make sense to have a grading scale with scores that are impossible to achieve. To carry on the school metaphor, if you got a 100% on an essay, does that mean there's no way it could have possibly been any better?

EDIT: TJ Spyke is right on with everything he said.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:13:42 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
To carry on the school metaphor, if you got a 100% on an essay, does that mean there's no way it could have possibly been any better?

I had very strict teachers on grading back in high school and college, so yes that's exactly what that meant when I was in school.  Taking into account the relative knowledge and skill expected of students my age, of course.

As I said, that's just my personal philosophy when it comes to game reviews and game scores, if you're going to have scores at all.  I can understand that it's not one that other people may share.

As for Neal's review specifically, though, I would have appreciated a more detailed review with a closer examination on the game's pacing (since that's a major issue I've had with Zelda games since Wind Waker), but that's really my only fault with it.  As for the video review, it was nice of you to make one but I think it would have worked better if you literally weren't just reading your written review.  It's like how IGN or Gamespot will condense their thoughts into a few minutes of text with video for emphasis for their video reviews.  Just something to think about for future video reviews.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:37:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
As for Neal's review specifically, though, I would have appreciated a more detailed review with a closer examination on the game's pacing (since that's a major issue I've had with Zelda games since Wind Waker), but that's really my only fault with it.
Neal's stated that his review was going to try to be spoiler free.  That was part of the reason he was doing the other entries.  No to mention I think he's still embargoed on talking about the end.

With that being said I know that at one point Neal was looking for people to talk about Skyward Sword on the RFN Live Special ,which you can help make happen like some other guy and me, if there is enough money donated to get to that part.  I'm sure they'll go more in depth there, maybe.

It's not long. There are just three bottleneck days. 11/4, 11/11 and 11/20. It's worded like "don't discuss anything up until XX"
This was in regards to me asking a question about the NDA size so, as you can see he is still not able to talk about the whole game yet.

Though it would be interesting to have a review without concerns on Spoilers with big spoiler labels on it.

Edit:
Found a better Quote.

When will we be seeing the Floodgates of Info opening?
Friday is review day. I think we can talk about the second act of the game then. Then, final embargo is up on release day.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:38:48 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
I have given out three 10s in my tenure with site (Punch-Out!!, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword). I am always very hesitant in giving a game that score, but it obviously has happened.

In Skyward Sword's case, I have issues with the game. I talk about them in the review. But as I thought about it more, the issues didn't sully the experience. It was still an excellent game. I loved it. I wanted to play it again right after beating it, and I plowed through this game faster than I ever have played a Zelda game before.

I could easily pick apart the game (the pacing does drag in some spots, the fetch quests are sometimes lame, tightrope walking is awful),  but none of those issues really hurt it in my eyes. Obviously, it did for some people. It didn't for me. I honestly don't know if I can go back to other Zelda games and enjoy them as much as I did after playing this game. That sounds ridiculous, but its true.

The pacing and fetch quests aren't really anything different from past games. I would say my issues with the pacing come from trying to beat the game in a short amount of time. If I didn't have that constraint, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. I can think of about two examples where the fetch quests annoyed me. Other than that, I didn't mind them. It's more exploring the environment than it is "collect three things to pass," though they use that as the setup.

And the Silent Realm parts are some of my favorite moments in the game, though I'm glad they are limited to a few instances.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
 Neal, I enjoyed the review and I’m impressed that you incorporated a video review. Of course none of us have played the game, or at least not the whole thing, so it’s interesting to see these different assessments. As a college student who has to write essays and lab reports, I agree there is always room for improvement even if the score is perfect; and that it’s unrealistic to strive for a level that’s technically impossible to achieve. I think it’s interesting that you observed the side and/or fetch quests to be a slight negative aspect compared to the regular flow of the game. You’ve reiterated that the Silent Realm is actually quite fun. Is the Silent Realm gameplay among these “fetch quests?” I ask because this portion of the gameplay has intrigued me. The music, while undetected, has an open reverberating echo to it, but when Link is detected it starts music that is reminiscent of Terminator 2, or RE4. If Skyward Sword is the pinnacle of gaming in Wii, and sets the precedent for future games in this series, then it deserves no less than 10.
Not many other sites would reply to the comments of readers, and give an explanation of their review, not that any is needed. The reason why I read this site and listen to the podcasts is because it feels more involved. One of these days I’ve been meaning to send an e-mail to the podcasts; just keep up the exceptional coverage and I’ll get around to it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
I have given out three 10s in my tenure with site (Punch-Out!!, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword). I am always very hesitant in giving a game that score, but it obviously has happened.

In Skyward Sword's case, I have issues with the game. I talk about them in the review. But as I thought about it more, the issues didn't sully the experience. It was still an excellent game. I loved it. I wanted to play it again right after beating it, and I plowed through this game faster than I ever have played a Zelda game before.

I could easily pick apart the game (the pacing does drag in some spots, the fetch quests are sometimes lame, tightrope walking is awful),  but none of those issues really hurt it in my eyes. Obviously, it did for some people. It didn't for me. I honestly don't know if I can go back to other Zelda games and enjoy them as much as I did after playing this game. That sounds ridiculous, but its true.

The pacing and fetch quests aren't really anything different from past games. I would say my issues with the pacing come from trying to beat the game in a short amount of time. If I didn't have that constraint, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. I can think of about two examples where the fetch quests annoyed me. Other than that, I didn't mind them. It's more exploring the environment than it is "collect three things to pass," though they use that as the setup.

And the Silent Realm parts are some of my favorite moments in the game, though I'm glad they are limited to a few instances.

Nice to hear they are limited to a few instances instead of something like Phantom Hourglass. And like I said anytime you have a 30+ hour game you are going to have inconsistent pacing and some fetch quests. I don't think any long game has ever been without them, just as long as it isn't triforce hunting similar to what was found in Wind Waker. Now that was a poorly implemented fetch quest and padding.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
I don't think any long game has ever been without them, just as long as it isn't triforce hunting similar to what was found in Wind Waker. Now that was a poorly implemented fetch quest and padding.

Don't forget all the business where you had to go and check all the statues or collect all the Twilight Tears in Twilight Princess.  Or the forced stealth section in Wind Waker's Forsaken Fortress.  Or the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass.  Yeah, Zelda's had some really bad padding issues over the years.  Hopefully, the Silent Realm sections in Skyward Sword are mercifully short and don't require you to be a stealth savant.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
I don't think any long game has ever been without them, just as long as it isn't triforce hunting similar to what was found in Wind Waker. Now that was a poorly implemented fetch quest and padding.
And ruins my chances of ever finishing that game and I soo want to because of the final fight...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
I had very strict teachers on grading back in high school and college, so yes that's exactly what that meant when I was in school.  Taking into account the relative knowledge and skill expected of students my age, of course.
I would argue that granularity also matters. It's easier for a game to get a 10/10 than a 100/100. Your strict teachers are closer to ONM, which gave this game a 98, their highest score ever for a Wii game.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
I honestly don't know if I can go back to other Zelda games and enjoy them as much as I did after playing this game.

So what you're saying is we shouldn't play this game because it ruins the rest of the series?  :) 

That is seriously high praise.  I believe I may be experiencing frothing demand for the first time in quite a while.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
That is seriously high praise.  I believe I may be experiencing frothing demand for the first time in quite a while.
I am now imagining a bear rocking his cage back and forth.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »

Don't forget all the business where you had to go and check all the statues or collect all the Twilight Tears in Twilight Princess.  Or the forced stealth section in Wind Waker's Forsaken Fortress.  Or the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass.  Yeah, Zelda's had some really bad padding issues over the years.  Hopefully, the Silent Realm sections in Skyward Sword are mercifully short and don't require you to be a stealth savant.

Well, I do agree, but I feel the triforce hunt is perhaps the most horrendous example. At least in Twilight it can be argued the fetch quest is meant to acclimate the gamer to the game, and at least the stealth sections in Wind Waker were few and far between. But PH Ocean King, I cannot defend, I hated it with a passion and never did finish the game because of it, it went into the realm of being both frustrating, and tedious, while many fetch quests in Zelda are primarily just tedious and time consuming.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
Lets see, typical 3rd party, like 1up, would review like this.
Nintendo=kiddie  -5 points
Not HD -5 points
No blood or needless violence.  -5 points
Not popular with the "hip/cool" crowd .  -5points
total   =   80%
oops, uses Wii mote not 360 ps3 controler -5
total   =   75%   
its a great NINTENDO game, but would be a  50% on the Grownup consoles.
There is a reason i quit listening to there "OH its so BEAUTIFUL ..."
HD blood fest jizzing.
Dont care if it gets  a 25%, its Zelda, im buying it. I have 5 zelda games in my 3DS currently.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »
Anyone who places the Silent Realm segments in the "fetch quest" category doesn't understand the concept of them. On a basic level, yes, you're fetching stuff, but the way its structured is more based on fast-paced stealth. I'll just explain in more detail, since I've avoided doing that (I'm really nervous about spoiling gameplay/puzzle details.)

You start off in a circle, and once you step out of it, dudes start chasing you until you collect a tear (think Twilight Tears). When you collect a tear, you have 90 seconds when dudes don't chase you. You can collect fruit littered throughout the map that show off beacons for where the other tears are for 30 seconds. It's lenient enough with time that you usually can plan your movements, but it's tight enough that it's nerve-wracking.

Also, there are a few things that can set off the hordes (touch water, alert patrolling enemies).

There were a few really awesome moments in the fire area where I was being chased around the entire map. I was shitting my pants, but it was exhilarating. You only do these trials after you're already familiar with the map, and it generally limits the area of where you can go, too. I'm ecstatic there are only four of these, but there are really supreme moments of love/hate gameplay.

You love because its really cool and well done, and you hate it because it's nerve-wracking and challenging. I'd imagine this might be similar to the Temple of the Ocean King stuff, but its just way more well done. And because the pace is kept up so well, it doesn't drag like the Twilight Tear hunt in TP.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline thedefalcos

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Undoubtedly the 1up review of A for Uncharted 3 is justified though.

To me, a 10 is the goal that every game strives towards, but very few are worthy of receiving and it should be an event when it does.  I personally would probably only have ever awarded one to Chrono Trigger.  I'm not taking any specific issues with Neal's review and I'm not insinuating this is something he did, but I think in general our industry is way too eager to hand out 10s just because they want the acclaim or infamy of giving a certain game a perfect score.

This concerns me as well. I was really excited earlier today, seeing how many 10s SS was getting until I did a quick Google search for Twilight Princess and saw it got just as many. Honestly, I hated TP. I remember the reveal trailer back when it first came out and I thought the graphics were rough to say the least. It didn't keep me from buying it, but what I didn't enjoy about that game were the tacked-on motion controls (at the time people were saying how GREAT they were), the wolf segments (all of them), the big EMPTY world to (not) explore, the annoying Midna, and the linear gameplay. The only thing I liked about it were the dungeons.

I would have given it a 7 at best. And it got the SAME praise as S.S. is getting now? I am glad that you guys at NWR have thought about what a 10 for this game would mean in 5 years, if you would regret giving it or not, because it really shows you've thought this through. Plus, after actually reading through many of those reviews, my fears were somewhat calmed by WHAT they were actually praising:

1. The graphics. Unlike TP, which I feel like some people pretended they were better than they were because it was a realistic Zelda game, S.S. is truly impressive, even on a 15'' youtube 360p screen.

2. TRUE motion-controls. Now people know what Wii motion controls can do and more importantly, what they can't do, they are saying what we've all been thinking, that its full potential is finally being reached with this game.

3. A story that matters.

4. Worlds chalk-full of stuff to do.

I think this will go down in history as a true 10/10 game.  People who bash the Wii, will now have to put an asterisk next to their bashing to make room for Skyward Sword, because they know this is a great game not just regardless of the Wii, but BECAUSE of the Wii.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
I think the reason Twilight Princess got so many great reviews is because the game was indeed the best launch title for the Wii, and its motion controls were actually new and interesting. Save for Wii Sports (which came with the system anyway), what other game at launch was this full and interesting? Red Steel was a disappointment for many, and the rest of the launch titles were PS2 titles with tacked on waggle. So Twilight Princess came as an impressive game that did its stuff really well. It wasn't until the hype of the Wii died off that people finally saw the game for what it was, and thus gained the reputation of being the most disappointing in the series.

With Skyward Sword, the game seemingly came with little to no expectations. We knew that Wii Sports Resort was a testing ground for some of the ideas seen in Skyward Sword. We knew that the graphics would be a mix of TP's realism and Wind Waker's colors and artistic interpretation. We knew that it looked like it wouldn't be extremely groundbreaking. So when we stripped ourselves out of those notions, we see the game as being this groundbreaking, great title, and thus it stands out better as "Game of the year" material than Twilight Princess did.

In other words, Skyward Sword came at a time where players felt disenchanted by the franchise, and they fell in love with it once it delivered.

Oh and regarding that second screenshot... Nintendo's Facebook page used the same picture. OH NOES SPOILERS LOLOLOL!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 03:20:58 AM »
I think the reason Twilight Princess got so many great reviews is because the game was indeed the best launch title for the Wii, and its motion controls were actually new and interesting. Save for Wii Sports (which came with the system anyway), what other game at launch was this full and interesting? Red Steel was a disappointment for many, and the rest of the launch titles were PS2 titles with tacked on waggle. So Twilight Princess came as an impressive game that did its stuff really well. It wasn't until the hype of the Wii died off that people finally saw the game for what it was, and thus gained the reputation of being the most disappointing in the series.

Twilight Princess got great reviews because it is a great game and is still regarded as a great game by most people.  Nobody changed their opinion on it, the vocal minority who b!tched about it just wouldn't stop b!tching about it, while people who actually enjoyed the game didn't care to keep arguing the same thing for year after year and eventually just stop trying to argue anymore.

Because if this, it gives the impression that more people hate the game now than actually do because the people who don't like it will post a million times why they hate it and never stop, while most of the people who liked it will usually only post a few times on why they liked about it and leave it at that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 04:23:39 AM »
There are definitely people who have changed their opinion about Twilight Princess.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 04:44:22 AM »
There are definitely people who have changed their opinion about Twilight Princess.

This. Much like Wind Waker seemed to be hated at first, then gained a lot of love, Twilight Princess got pretty bad after release. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, and I still do, but its problem once you look beyond its innovations is that it does feel like OoT version 2.0 and the story didn't work as expected.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 09:33:50 AM »
To carry on the school metaphor, if you got a 100% on an essay, does that mean there's no way it could have possibly been any better?

As I said, that's just my personal philosophy when it comes to game reviews and game scores, if you're going to have scores at all.  I can understand that it's not one that other people may share.

Reviews are not like grades in school.  End of story.

There isn't anything "perfect" outside of school tests where only one answer is correct.  The analogy just doesn't work.

It is also why I despise sites that use a 100 point scale because it encourages the reviews to be compared to school grades.  I prefer a 5 point scale but a 10 point like at NWR is okay.  The less points the more people see it as a review and not a grade.

I personally think 10s should be given out more often.  It isn't some unobtainable perfect score, it means that this game is excellent and shouldn't be missed.  A ten tells you that this game is really something special and may even break new ground.  Don't feel bad for giving out a couple of tens and certainly don't look back years later and question the score.  Reviews are very much related to the time they came out due to subsequent games building on it, increases in technology and rising/changing standards.

I have now read the NWR review.  Back to my self imposed exile until the game is in my hands.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
10's are valuable, from their rarity and what it implies. I find 10's are given out all too readily. Hell, 9's and 8's get given out too easily especially for games that have broken/unenjoyable gameplay if they were ever examined closely enough. *Cough*Oblivion*Cough*Fallout 3*Cough*Geist*Cough*Dead island*Cough*. I really should get that cough looked at.

All those games have clearly defined open wounds and some are missing limbs in game design. Those flaws alone should have automatically disqualified them from 10's. Let alone the games where only half the gameplay works as intended. Lets not even get into paid for reviews seen elsewhere jacking up scores.

Score inflation is not the answer to better games, nor is it a tool to message that you like this game and you should buy it too. Score inflation like money, devalues it in the long run. Don't do it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »

Twilight Princess got great reviews because it is a great game and is still regarded as a great game by most people.  Nobody changed their opinion on it, the vocal minority who b!tched about it just wouldn't stop b!tching about it, while people who actually enjoyed the game didn't care to keep arguing the same thing for year after year and eventually just stop trying to argue anymore.

Because if this, it gives the impression that more people hate the game now than actually do because the people who don't like it will post a million times why they hate it and never stop, while most of the people who liked it will usually only post a few times on why they liked about it and leave it at that.

I agree 100%, I went back and replayed it, I forgot how wonderful the game is. It is a great Zelda game, and my favorite of the 3D Zelda's followed closely by Wind Waker and OOT. Also people's opinion of wind waker changed when they actually played it instead of judging the visuals.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:02:50 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
I've tried a couple of times to go back and replay Twilight Princess, but I just can't muster the interest to advance beyond the opening 3 dungeons.  That part of the game is just so absurdly uninteresting due to poor pacing outside the dungeons, especially those first few hours around the Forest Temple.  Plus, Twilight Princes has IMO some of the worst and most boring dungeons in the series, with notable exceptions like the Desert Temple and a surprisingly-clever Water Temple.  I think I've come to sour on that extremely yellow and brown color scheme over the years, too.  To each their own, but I prefer Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:16:20 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
TP I enjoyed till the threat was effectively eliminated.  I have a feeling if the Overworld was better then I probably would have been better with the whole game.