Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Wii / 3DS / Definitive Edition  (Read 215824 times)

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade-New RPG from Monolith
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:30 AM »
Sounds like you just can't get a break, buddy. :<

Well, my Zavvi order is on the way!  :-X

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2011, 01:24:03 AM »
That red Classic Controller is what really needs to come here...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2011, 01:36:21 AM »

What did you have to pay for? The game, tax, and what else? How much did it come out to be in total?

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
I'll like to know also how much some of you are paying for it.  I've only ordered something out of country once and I used Game.co.uk.  which worked out fine for me. 

Quick question though, hopefully someone can help me here.  If I rig my Wii to play this game will I still be able to go online and use Netflix or will Nintendo see that my Wii has been modified?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:50 AM »
You can still use all online functions, so there is nothing to worry about there. The only thing that would happen is that if Nintendo releases another system update, performing it will remove the modifications. But that isn't too big a deal, as someone will always find a way to install homebrew again.

It will also void your warranty, if you happen to be a newer Wii owner.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2011, 02:41:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, thats great news becuase I like having access to my Netflix regardless of what room or system I'm using.  I guess there's nothing holding me back now..preorder here I come.  This game should hold me off nicely until Elder's Scroll V and Zelda drop (among many other gamers of course lol) 

And if by some chance this game does come out in the US, I'll just man up and buy the game again to make sure I don't have a negative affect on it's US sales.  I'll probably sell my UK copy on ebay for whatever I can get for it and cut my losses.  From everything I'm reading and seeing of this game for the past year or so, this game deserves to have some success (so Nintendo can green lite a sequal on WiiU which I would love to see what MonoSoft can do with that level of hardware)

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:10 AM »
What did you have to pay for? The game, tax, and what else? How much did it come out to be in total?

Paying tax AFTER the stickered price is just an American thing I think. There was no extra charge for shipping or anything like that with these Zavvi guys, so that was neat. It came to ~30 GBP / ~50 USD.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:10 AM »
I think that is part of the reason EU prices tend to be so high, they add that "Value Added Tax" right into the price. Here in the US, sales tax can vary by state and even county. It makes it funny to see those old McDonald's commercial where someone would put four quarters down and try to get something from the $1 menu since there is a 8% sales tax where I live (so a $1 menu item would cost $1.08).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »
Looking around for the best deal and I think Zavvi so far has the lowest price whereas Games.co.uk has it a couple of cents more but also have the red controller bundle for sale.  365 games has it for around 4 dollars more and to my suprise, its out of stock already and it hasn't even released lol.  Hopefully this means good sales to come for this game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »
Okay, so I tried preordering the game on one of the European online stores. It worked, but apparently I have to pay US customs a fee for it to get here in America? WTF is going on? Anyone else who've imported before have this problem?

Yes, that's how customs work. You may need to look into the exact customs rules for your country to see what fees you're looking at (here in Europe we pay VAT plus 3.5% on goods valued higher than 22€, i.e. pretty much any videogame but I'm absolutely sure the US customs charge way less).

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
With Disaster Day of Crisis, Nintendo of America (NoA) made a good choice not to bring the game across. Not that it's a terrible game, but it's certainly not good enough one to really capture the core audience. Reviews for Xenoblade have been telling a very different story though. Will that critical success translate into sales? And will NoA even care if it does?

Not holding my breath on either front at the moment, but this certainly isn't making me any more happy with NoA for choosing to ignore these games when there has been a months-long drought of releases here without much relief on the horizon.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
Okay, so I tried preordering the game on one of the European online stores. It worked, but apparently I have to pay US customs a fee for it to get here in America? WTF is going on? Anyone else who've imported before have this problem?

Yes, that's how customs work. You may need to look into the exact customs rules for your country to see what fees you're looking at (here in Europe we pay VAT plus 3.5% on goods valued higher than 22€, i.e. pretty much any videogame but I'm absolutely sure the US customs charge way less).

I've been trying. All I can find it exporting rules.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
Last night I tried to find the info for you, all I could find were rules regarding importing from Canada and Mexico, or explaining how they determine the customs fee.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
This sucks. *sigh*

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Maybe you could try calling the customs office and asking?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:26 PM »
If there's a number I can find.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
I have never been charged customs duties, and I've done a ridiculous amount of importing.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 17, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »

How did you order from Zavvi? It says right here that they won't ship books or electronics outside the UK.
http://help.zavvi.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=7&id=40&artlang=en

@MB: Hmm...okay. I'll talk to my mom about ordering the game. I just hope it doesn't sell out soon. I'm talking with US customs right now.

EDIT: US customs wasn't any help. They didn't have a department for general questions. *sigh*
They do, I'm just stupid.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:51:58 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Seeing as my call is dropped 5 minutes into my call, I'm giving up calling the customs office. Now I'm getting a busy signal. I'll call the office later on a landline if I can. I sent an email to Zavvi about whether they allow the importing of video game titles.

I don't know why the universe is trying so damn hard to prevent me from getting this game.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
In the lastest of my crusade to obtain this game, I was on hold for 45 minutes at US customs to tell them my question. Finally, I got through. They said I need to contact the import department for the right answer to my question, as they didn't know the duties rate/fee. I was sent through to the local import office, where the woman who answered thought I was physically buying the game in the UK then physically bringing with me to Washington State. She finally understood me after many minutes of explaining, and sent me to her supervisor. I explained my question and how much rotten luck I've had, only for him to apologize and say that this was the wrong department. In turn, he gave me a number to call for more info, which I did. However, when I was finally put through on this new line, I got a damn voicemail message. Apparently either the line was busy or they were away from their desk. I'm sitting at my desk typing this post with so much rage in myself I feel the need to punch myself in the face to dissipate my anger.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:18 AM »
wow man, your going through a mission to get this game lol.  I finally put my order through with Zavvi becuase of the free shipping.  I'm off of work for 2 weeks because of a minor finger operation so hopefully this gets in before my time is up so I can put in some serious hours into it lol.  Its been a long time since I've played a really good JRPG, its long overdue.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2011, 02:38:17 AM »
Well, it's gonna be all for naught. I have an inkling that NoA will release the game the second I place my order for the European version. I'll wait until around Jan-Feb next year. If it hasn't shown up in the release schedule by then, I'll cave in and buy it.

Damn, I need to just make up my mind. I'm worse than a woman.

Offline Scatt-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2011, 04:44:24 AM »
I'm certain Zavvi don't classify games as books or electronics, buddy. I saw the same warning, but have never had any problems with 'em. There are other forums out there who also note the same warning, along with confirming that they too have never had problems.

Just go the Zavvi route, buddy. :>

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
http://nintendoscene.com/2011/08/18/xenoblade-chronicles-stock-shortage/
 :Q

Damn you NoA.  I'd love to have this game and The Last Story without having to resort to homebrew.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
Another positive review incoming, this time from stringent UK magazine Edge. They awarded the game a 9. The abstract says it all:

Quote from: Edge
A glowing return to form for the JRPG that boasts one of the strongest battle systems in the genre.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."