Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Wii / 3DS / Definitive Edition  (Read 215457 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade-New RPG from Monolith
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
This is fucking stupid. Xenoblade can't be imported from Amazon UK...I guess they don't ship video games to anywhere outside the UK. So why is everyone assuming that you CAN? This is pissing me off. This game is staring to become not worth the trouble.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2011, 02:00:29 AM »
Amazon UK won't ship video games to the US? Because they specifically say they do ship other stuff to US (like CDs and DVDs).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2011, 02:31:02 AM »
Amazon UK won't ship video games to the US? Because they specifically say they do ship other stuff to US (like CDs and DVDs).

I went to order it and it came up with a red flag saying they don't ship video games outside the UK. With a bit more google searching many people had the same discovery as me. I'm pissed off.
The next best place to order it is Game.co.uk, but is priced ten USD more with 8 dollar shipping.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2011, 04:21:57 AM »
I ordered mine through Zavvi.com. Yeah, they don't do the bundle, but us Aussies won't get the controller regardless--only the CD, which I'm not all that interested in. Yeah, yeah, the music is epic, but I have the internet, hurr durr. The price Game are charging for the bundle is a bit redunkudunk if you ask me. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a CCPro for cheaper than that. >_>

30GBP for the game on its own, which converts to $50AU/$52US. Pretty bloody nice, considering they're charging $100 for the game when it release here in September. I was under the impression that Wii games don't hit that $50US/$100AU barrier anymore...  :Q

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2011, 04:25:58 AM »
Not sure about Australia's prices, but most Wii games are still $50 US when they come out (unless they are budget games).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
So why is everyone assuming that you CAN?

I said that it doesn't work for everybody in the first post that brought up importing.  I'll need to check it out now too since most of my imported stuff is from the US.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:43:26 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
Well Zavvi won't ship electronics outside the US. So that's out.

My only real option is from Game.co.uk. *sigh*

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Not sure about Australia's prices, but most Wii games are still $50 US when they come out (unless they are budget games).

Strange. I figured the majority of games were at the $80AU/$40US mark for the Wii. Maybe we were getting less kicked in the balls 'ere in Australia than usual. $80AU/$50US? THE SAVINGS!! :Q

Wait, wait...Zavvi's a U.K. store, yeah? They have no problems shipping to Australia, as I ordered Galaxy 2 through 'em. Sure, they took longer than expected, but I still got it in the end...in Australia. And still right before our release date, too! Where be you located, Oblivs?

*EDIT*

Ah! I now see that "Please note that we are unable to ship Books and Electronics outside of the UK." dealy. I wasn't sure if that policy is only new and my Galaxy 2 order came before it was implemented, or if games don't count as electronics...or books. A little bit of Googling later, and I found another forum mentioning this topic with about five replies saying that they've had absolutely no problems importing games through Zavvi. It's not the best confirmation, but it's something. And my order went through alright, too, buddy...and I'm from Mars Australia. Just try not to make shifty eyes too much when ordering, and you might just sneak a copy through. GOOD LUCK!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:37:45 PM by Scatt-Man »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
Yeah, I also tried ordering the game from Amazon UK out of curiosity since it was equal to around $50 USD, and was disappointed that they wouldn't ship here. Oh well, I wasn't terribly interested in the game, so unless it gets released here in the future then I don't think I'll be buying it.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
Well Zavvi won't ship electronics outside the US. So that's out.

My only real option is from Game.co.uk. *sigh*

I've heard talk about 365games.com being a decent replacement. The price is lower, and the shipping if free, even to the U.S. The only complaint I heard is that games sometimes take a week or two to ship. But even if that's true, it'll arrive infinitely earlier than NoA's release.  :'(

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
I had to dig a bit to find this again, but here is a link to a discussion at CAG about places to import the game from in case anyone is having issues still.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298320

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2011, 09:07:25 AM »
Well, IGN posted an article last night about one of their staff asking Reggie about these games again. While it wasn't an official confirmation, Reggie did say that they're "waiting to see how they do in Europe".

I would post a link, but IGN is not loading and putting me into an infinite ad for some reason...
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1187097p1.html
Quote from: Reggie
"We will be watching very closely what happens in Europe," Fils-Aime told me. "Certainly if there are business opportunities and positive consumer uptake from some of those titles, that will be great data for us to consider as we look at what to do with these titles."

But for those that don't want to wait and take that chance, and would rather help Reggie release Xenoblade, TLS & Pandora in the U.S.(import) only to for it bomb (since most everyone already imported it from EUR), HackMii has made hacking your Wii so easy a Cave Man could do it....
Seriously, it takes almost no effort (no game required), it's ridiculously easy now(just need an SD card) and I'm tempted to spend a few minutes just to see what the HomeBrew Channel is all about.
http://hackmii.com/2011/08/letterbomb/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
Importing can cost more than buying locally (especially in the US where games are dirt cheap), get used to it. We paid around 60-70€ to get Zangeki no Reginleiv.

365games has been reliable for me so far, they have a few NTSC imports which I made use of before and they're WAY cheaper than retail stores in mainland Europe for HD games though my copy of Prototype was apparently from Korea (ran fine and the game itself was in English, just the cover was odd).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
A matter of perspective. I certainly wouldn't call a $60 game "dirt cheap." Those shits are expensive. Games may be "cheaper" in the US, but I'd hardly call them "cheap." Unless they're big name Nintendo titles which normally take years to drop in price, I usually wait for sales or price drops.

And at least you had the option to buy Zangeki no Reginliev. Sure, it was pricey but at least you had the option.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Yeah but with eBay you can buy practically anything if you have enough money so that option isn't exactly unexpected.

Games are cheaper in the US than pretty much everywhere else, the US dollar has dropped a LOT since the prices for games got set in the various currencies. Back when the Euro was new the 60€ price for a console game WAS on par with the 50$ price in the US but since then it has gone completely in the other direction, your 60$ games are 70€ (100$) here. Prices in Japan are roughly in line with those of mainland Europe, as are those in Australia. I'm not sure if Canada is still getting screwed on prices. Of course game prices reach ridiculous heights in countries that aren't the primary gaming markets (e.g. Brazil). And hell, you guys only pay thirty bucks for a DS game, that's cheap as hell (they're 40€, 57$ here). 3DS games? 40$ turn into 45€ (65$). For comparison most major Wii games are 40€ so because of the stupid pricing disparity we pay more for 3DS games than Wii games!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
Duly noted. However, you missed my point. Of course, I'm grateful that new PS3 games are $60 instead of $100. I'd still rather pay less than $60 and I often wait until the price drops because I consider $60 expensive for a leisure product. I have the money but I weigh my options. If I don't think something is worth X, Y, or Z, I don't pay it.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:02 PM »
The game's getting mid 8's though 9's for a score.  Thanks NOA for not bringing it here. :(

I have to wait for a few weeks but I be damned if I'm going miss this one.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:04 AM »
They will announce it with special pre-order goodies 5 minutes after your copy arrives.

just you wait and see.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »
The game's getting mid 8's though 9's for a score.

I haven't even seen any 8s, the critical consensus is that Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the last five years.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:32 AM »
Cubed3 (M): 100%
 -"highest calibre on Wii, it is time for RPG fans to take a stand and show their appreciation for this sublime classic"
 -"the main story can last up to 60 hours, even when rushing through"
 -"no loading between areas"
 -"a battle mechanic that offers both simplicity on the surface, with lots of added depth for those looking to tailor enemy encounters to their own style"

Hobbynews (Spain): 93%
 -long, deep story
 -Interesting fighting system

Official Nintendo Magazine (M): 92%

M! Games (Germany): 91%

IGN (M): 90%
 -"Beautiful design makes up for Xenoblade's graphical shortcomings - but it's disappointing that the dialogue isn't lip-synced"
 -"literally hundreds of optional quests"
 -"There's so much of Xenoblade Chronicles that you can't even tell when the end is in sight. A true epic."
 -"A super, varied score with generally excellent localised voice acting."

Metro: 90%
 -"Huge adventure and game world that's a pleasure to play and explore"
 -"Superb graphics and music"
 -"Dialogue and voice-acting is mediocre"
 -"Steep learning curve"

Games TM (M): 90%
 -"arguably the most competent and refreshing example of the genre this generation"
 -flat voice acting
 "ludicrously expansive game world"
 -"progressive and imaginative solutions to JRPG's most common pitfalls"

Spielewiese (Germany): 90%
 -Next to no loading times
 -Combat System is dynamic and complex
 -Control over party members is restricted
 -Camera in combat is no perfect

Game Reactor (M): 90%
 -Great Fighting System
 -Lengthy
 -Not always polished technically
 -Frustrating Difficulty

Famitsu (Japan): 90%
 -Large number of side quests
 -"MMORPG-style in the way it plainly defines every character's role in the fight"

GamePro (Germany): 87%

CONSOL.AT/Plus (Germany/Austria): 86%

Average: 90.8% after 12 reviews

*all scores adjusted to fit 100% scale
 *(M) means included in metacritic score

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »
Another glowing review posted this morning from Eurogamer @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-15-xenoblade-chronicles-review

Yet another 9/10, with the sentiment echoing that which has been expressed by numerous reviews. To quote the final paragraph:

Quote from: Eurogamer
No Japanese RPG has more successfully married its various components this hardware generation. It's a game that invites us to reassess an entire genre, pointing to a bold future while nodding its respect towards the past. It's a towering triumph.

Multiple sites have now referred to Xenoblade as 'genre-defining', 'the best JRPG in the past five years' or something to that effect. It's not just one really positive guy, it's unanimous. That's astounding. And the reports that say it streamlines so many of those archaic trappings are the best news for people like me, who are usually lukewarm on RPGs as a whole.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »
Man these reviews sound amazing! If it does get released stateside all this worldwide praise can only help its sales.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline mr_lakitu

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • mfgamers
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Pre-ordered this today :) I've gone from having burnt through all my games like a good boy to becoming a Lindy.

I even bought a smaller 22" tv for my room because the Wii on the big telly in the living room looked pretty awful for some games (not all). Galaxy and most 1st party games are fine. Older ones like Twilight Princess looked a mess. Yes I have all the right leads.

Anyway, yeh.. Xenoblade ftw etc.
Bread makes you fat? 0,0

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Okay, so I tried preordering the game on one of the European online stores. It worked, but apparently I have to pay US customs a fee for it to get here in America? WTF is going on? Anyone else who've imported before have this problem?