Author Topic: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.  (Read 37377 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 03:10:49 PM »
Woo there we go! Completed my 2nd game, Earthbound.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
Congrats! How'd you play it?

I started it back in 2017 and just got to Twoson but never got back to it. I've had it hanging around on my Backlog now playing page because I've always meant to get back to it and cross it off my list but just haven't. Considering I've finally played and beat Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time this year, I should get back and finish Earthbound to make this my year of iconic RPGs.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »
So, I completed Yoshi's New Island last week.
Did you have any thoughts to share on this game? I personally found it to be pretty "meh" so I'm curious what you think.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
Lol! Well, first, let me say wow to your new custom title. As for Yoshi's New Island, meh is about right.

I seem to be one of the few people that was pretty positive on Yoshi's Island DS based on what I recall of what other users posted about it back in the day when it came out. My biggest complaints against that game were that sometimes the levels went on way too long (but even the original SMW2 can have that feeling too) and it didn't have item cards like the original. With item cards, you could give yourself more stars which could be useful like if you are fighting a boss and drop Baby Mario for a moment. Don't have to replay the whole level over again to get a perfect score. YIDS required you to play it over again making it much tougher than the original in that regard. I felt the different baby abilities helped give it enough of a hook to make it feel like a pretty good mix of new and old even if it did feature a lot of what came before.

So, from that experience, even though I knew YNI had gotten pretty average and middling reviews / scores, I wasn't discouraged by that since YIDS sort of had the same reception. But in this case, the reviews and feelings matched mine as well and if people thought YIDS didn't do much to get out of SMW2's shadow then YNI may help change their minds with how much it rehashes the original game.

I mentioned before that I was playing SMW2 on the SNES online and then realized I could be playing New Island instead of the same old. The developers of New Island probably didn't expect anyone to be playing these games at the same time when making it but, since I was, it just showed me how much they copied the original. Yes, the levels are new but the same concepts are copied over and hit at the exact same time. Nep-Enuts show up at 3-2 in SMW2. They show up at 3-2 in New Island. ShyGuys on stilts show up at 1-6 in SMW2 and they show up at the same point in New Island. Wall Lakitus show in 2-7 in SMW2 and New Island does its spin on them at the same spot.

Now, not everything is copied over. For instance, with how things were going early on, I was expecting the Baseball Boys to show up early in World 2 but they never even make an appearance in the game. Nor will you touch fuzzy and get dizzy in New Island. The main addition this game makes are the giant eggs which pop up for a brief appearance here and there. However, due to how they work and what they can do, they're limited in their usage and s-egg-regated to a small portion of a level so their effect on the game is fleeting and hardly game-changing.

The story starts off where the original ends with Mario and Luigi being dropped off to their parents only for it to turn out the stork has gone to the wrong house. That felt like a bold beginning but it just leads to the stork being attacked again by Kamek and the exact premise plays out again as it did in the original of working to reunite Mario with Luigi and Kamek trying to get the baby. Despite it being a new island, it sure seems a lot like the old. Even the ending when confronting Bowser is pretty much the same. Baby Bowser wakes from a nap, stomps on Kamek and wants to ride on the donkey. They couldn't even develop a new confrontation there. Baby Bowser is still scribbling on the wall with his crayons as shown by the background. Even with something as minor as this, they couldn't come up with anything new? Just repeat it all again?

Adding gyro controls during the Yoshi transformations seemed like a desperate attempt to make them a bit of a different and pretend that they'll be more fun but it just makes them all seem very similar instead. And yet, (AND YET), I won't completely write off the game as near the end around the latter part of World 5 and into World 6, the game did seem to finally start justifying its existence with the levels being a bit more difficult and engaging. The bonus levels also showed that there could be more done still with the mechanics of a Yoshi platformer and some creativity from the developer. Although designed to be quite challenging, they were tough but not Galaxy 2 - Perfect Run or 3D World - Champion's Road tough. While this game also didn't have any kind of item cards or inventory which could help you complete the level with a perfect score like SMW2, it at least divided the needed inventory of flowers / red coins / and stars into their own sections. This means that if you collected all the coins and stars in a level but missed a flower then stars and coins were checked off as complete and all you had to do was replay the level and collect all the flowers on the second go around to complete that aspect and not all the red coins and stars as well. It's a bit of a compromise between the original and Yoshi's Island DS but it did allow me to speed through a bit on some of the level replays I had to do to get some item I missed or was short on the first time.

There's more I could breakdown about the game but I think this is enough typing and paints a pretty clear picture about the experience. I'll just close by saying that after playing the long and expansive Xenoblade Chronicles, I was looking for a smaller and simpler experience. Something I felt I could probably get through in about a week and this pretty much fit what I was looking for and in the mood for. It's probably why I started replaying Yoshi's Island on the Switch Online app in the first place. Just check in and chip away at a few levels to make some progress in short gaming bursts here and there. It filled that role well. If you don't mind redundant feeling platformers and want something that can be finished off pretty quickly then this might be the game for you. Also, I did like the backgrounds. I think they're painterly quality was a bit more pleasing than the crayon coloring book backgrounds of the original.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2020, 03:19:38 AM »
I have beaten Pullblox aka Pushmo.

My stats are.
Beaten: 10
Retired: 1
Currently playing: 5

With 10 days to go, realisticially of those six I expect to finish 3. Little Red Lie should just be a matter of sitting down and ploughing through the back half of the game or so. A couple of binge days should see me through two of Terranigma, Disco Elysium, and Xenoblade X, but liekly not all three. If I was to guess Xenoblade wont make it. Ring Fit Adventure wont be finished, maybe not for the whole year with the terribly slow progress I'm making. :(

I will likely add another 3DS game or two to the games to play since I'm making such amazing progress with those. Maybe Luigi's Mansion 2 or Hydroventure Spincycle.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:34:04 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
Using my psychic powers I booted up Super Metroid on the WiiU to find my save file about 80% of the way through the game. I will continue from here and beat this game.
It is teh terrible 50hz PAL version.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2020, 12:57:38 AM »
Is the Switch SNES Online version also the PAL version for you?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2020, 05:20:23 AM »
No it's the real version but because I am very bad at video games I'm not going to start over on that one and instead will continue to slog through this file that took me 9 hours to reach Ridley.

Maybe one day I'll learn to play it properly and play it on the SNES Mini or Switch.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2020, 08:23:21 AM »
Congrats! How'd you play it?

I started it back in 2017 and just got to Twoson but never got back to it. I've had it hanging around on my Backlog now playing page because I've always meant to get back to it and cross it off my list but just haven't. Considering I've finally played and beat Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time this year, I should get back and finish Earthbound to make this my year of iconic RPGs.

I played it on New 3DS all the way back from when it released there. It took me a second to readjust to the smaller screen but after a while it felt normal.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »
I have beaten, for the first time over the many consoles I've had access to it on, Super Metroid on teh WiiU virtual console.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
Having the Haduken helps so much with the Sigma fight.  It OHKOs his dog and all you really have to do at the beginning of the fight is stand there and do the input, iirc.

Beat it today, sans Haduken (I should go back in and get it). I hate how the passwords that you get at the end merely start you at the beginning of the Sigma stages, rather than after each end boss. Forces you to sit down and set aside several hours to make a full run.  Sigma isn't that difficult...it's more that you're so fatigued by the time you get to him that you start messing up timings. I took a break, had dinner, rested up, came back and took him down.

Overall I love Mega Man X, but **** that game.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
Does this count as the end of Edge?
I think it does.
Edge (3DS) beaten on the 23rd of August.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
Alright I can finally join in.  So I spend the second half of July playing Bloodstained: Cursed of the Moon 2 and after I had finally completed every episode and got every ending, I felt like replaying all the Classic Castlevania's.  So I've spent this month playing the Castlevania Anniversary Collection on Switch.  Most of the games on the collection I've already beaten either years ago on the Wii Virtual Console or stuff like Bloodlines and Kid Dracula which I did last year when I first bought the collection.  But this time I played and beat every game on the collection including the ones I hadn't beaten before.  So I can cross 3 games off my backlog now.

Castlevania II: Simons Quest - This was actually the first Castlevania I ever played when I rented the game as a kid.  Didn't get far since I had no idea where to go.  Over the years I've seen enough Youtube video's talking about all the BS in the game, it's made me drag my feet.  Well I finally played the whole thing this month and you know, it wasn't that bad.  It helps that the most obtuse parts of the game have become so well known, there was only one part I ended up using a guide to find, but the rest went pretty smooth.  Even replayed it and got the best ending my second time, so I found some enjoyment in it. 

Castlevania: The Adventure - I played this one for a little bit last year on the collection but stopped because it's just not fun to play.  I actually bought this game for the original GB back in the late 2000's and played on the Gamecube GBA player and stopped playing after a little while back then as well.  Seriously, this game is just a slog to play because your character moves so slow and you hardly move when you jump forward, which requires literally every jump in the game to be a pixel perfect jump.  The game also has really bad hit-box detection so you take a lot of cheap hits from things that sometimes look like they shouldn't have hit you.  I actually forced my self to finish it this time. 

This is the one game in the collection I ended up using save-states to beat though since the last level had so much cheap BS that I just wanted to be done with this shitty game.  Yeah some might consider that not legit but when the game is terrible, I don't care.

Castelvania II: Belmonts Revenge - I had never played game before since I wanted to beat the first GB Castlevania before moving on to this one.  Well now that the first game was out of the way I could finally try the sequel out and damn, this game is awesome.  The developers literally fixed every issue The Adventure had and delivered some of the most creative level design in a Classic Castlevania.

The rest of the games on the collection I'll probably write up my thoughts in the "Last game you beat section" since I've already beaten them in the past so they wouldn't count as a backlog.  Of course since I was in the Classic Castlevania mood, after finishing the Anniversay Collection, I hooked my Wii U back up so I could play Rondo of Blood again.  After finishing Rondo of Blood, it caused me to finally play the SNES version of Rondo, which is just called Dracula X.  I went and bought it off the Wii U's eshop so I could finally experience this version of the game.  Played it for over 7 hours and beat it 3 different times and got each ending.

But technically Dracula X wouldn't count for this thread since I bought it new in order to finish my Classic Castlevania fest.  But I'd like to say it was always in my mental backlog since I planned on playing the game someday, but just never owned it yet. :D
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
Does this count as the end of Edge?
I think it does.
Edge (3DS) beaten on the 23rd of August.

One of the last levels has you rolling through the credits, so I'd say it counts if you're past that point.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Adventure Island for Game Boy is now complete. Another of my GB VC games done.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2020, 02:43:12 AM »
Ugh. I'd have beaten Super Paper Mario today if I hadn't lost 3 times in the Pit of 100 Trials. Lost twice in the 90s like 92 and 93 and once in the 70s around 73. It was the third time I had to complete the pit but I guess my time away from the game made me rusty. But it was also stupidity on my part of trying to hoard my items before the boss even though I'd have been fine using one or two at those points to keep my health up considering how the confrontation went once I reached Shadoo. Oh well. At least that's over with. At Chapter 8-4 and think I'm pretty close to the Bleck showdown so guess I'll just have to wrap it up tomorrow.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2020, 03:20:40 AM »
I beat Retro City Rampage DX which I didn't intend to add to my playlist but I just kept playing and beat it. And then something terrible happened; I updated my Backloggery account, saw that Grubdog had posted a new article on Pietriots via the RSS feed on my account and in that article he mentoined GRID Autosport was on sale. Before I knew what I was doing, I had bought GRID Autosport, 198X and Katamari Demacy Reroll. Now I'm going to feel obliged to play some of these games which will remove time from my time available to conquer the backlog.

Anyway. Gues I need to update my original post now. I will play Terranigma this evening.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
Super Paper Mario is beat. I have now seen the credits. With that, I can now throw it in the trash. :evil;

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
I'm sorry I haven't had an opportunity to update the OP. Real life is getting the best of me right now so I haven't really had a good chance to sit down and do it. I should have it done by tomorrow.

I'm about to hit lower Norfair in Super Metroid but I got side tracked by Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. However since I finished Hyrule Warriors's main story mode I'm going to count it as finished and get back to it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
I'm sorry I haven't had an opportunity to update the OP. Real life is getting the best of me right now so I haven't really had a good chance to sit down and do it. I should have it done by tomorrow.

Relax. It's not life-critical. Besides, it's obvious at this point that NWR will have curbstomped NW in how many games were finished. Poor guys. Although it has almost been a case of both NWR and NW versus RABicle. If it wasn't for me adding to the total, RAB's totals vs everyone else from both NWR and NW would be greater than those combined numbers. I may not be posting as much these days but at least I'm playing and finishing more games. Where's the combined might of the NWR Userbase? Everyone should be isolating which means only playing games at home now. That's how you beat Covid and how you beat every other community that dares challenge our gaming prowess.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2020, 12:36:59 AM »
Throw another one on the board for me. Pushmo World is now complete. All puzzles solved, all Miiverse Stamps acquired. Can't wait to post them all and show off my puzzle-solving prowess.  :'(

I just had three puzzles to solve and they were the last three puzzles all at 5 star difficulty. It definitely took some time for me to work out. That last one was over an hour and I was just not seeing how to crack it for the longest time. Finally stumbled into it by process of elimination in trying so all the ways I could move it. I knew where the key was because I could figure out a lot of the end steps but that initial set-up just eluded me for so long. But it's over and I've now fully completed all games in the Pushmo series. Maybe we'll see a new entry for Switch in the next Direct. Nintendo is going to release one more game this year..... aren't they?  :o

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2020, 01:03:08 AM »
I’m a bit late to the party but I figured I’d throw out that I have been replaying Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, and Skyward Sword. Admittedly, I’ve beaten all of these before but I’m replaying to get footage for NWR. I don’t think that really fits in with the rules of a backlog but I thought I’d at least share. I have finished both of the Mario RPG’s and I’m about halfway through Skyward Sword at this point. 
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2020, 05:57:44 AM »
Oh dear. Reality is kicking in and I've began building up a backlog of university **** I should be doing. Also I've been building Labo parts and playing Grid and Katamari and still haven't even touched Xenoblade X, Disco Elysium, Terranigma, Luigi's Mansion 2 or Starfox. Things are looking grim for RABicle!
I think I'll save up for a big finish on the Monday though. I jsut know there's people greedily eyeing the total and planning a last minute snipe of my high score. Just look at Morningshark waltzing in with 3 games to post! I'm watching you all! Khush is also making me sweat what with ploughing through Pullblox World. I was exhausted playing the back half of that one and even used a few skips.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:59:47 AM by RABicle »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
Yeah RAB is the real MVP here lol. I'm about a third into Pokémon SoulSilver. Lost my starter in a dumb move so now I'm saddled with a Skiploom as my grass type which is not ideal, since I also traded my Bellsprout for an Onix. The later games hand you the Exp. Share early on, but that's not the case here and I could really use one.

I did finish the first Super Mario Bros. game on Switch Online, too, but that's not really my backlog so it'd be unfair to count it I think.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
Oh dear. Reality is kicking in and I've began building up a backlog of university **** I should be doing. Also I've been building Labo parts and playing Grid and Katamari and still haven't even touched Xenoblade X, Disco Elysium, Terranigma, Luigi's Mansion 2 or Starfox. Things are looking grim for RABicle!

I'm not sure a game you just bought in August would count. You're wasting time with Grid and now you're running out of time :evil; It doesn't actually matter to me if you beat Grid and count it this month.

I think I'll save up for a big finish on the Monday though. I jsut know there's people greedily eyeing the total and planning a last minute snipe of my high score. Just look at Morningshark waltzing in with 3 games to post! I'm watching you all!

Lol! Paranoia is setting in. He's about to self-destruct! Now's our chance to take the lead in finishing games! I just went through the thread. You have 13 games you declared as beat and 1 that you retired from giving you 14. Someone waltzing in like Luigi Dude or Morningstar with 3 or 2 games done isn't even a quarter of your total. The only person you have to worry about at this point is me just like everyone else on these forums. My current total is 6 almost at 50% of yours.

Khush is also making me sweat what with ploughing through Pullblox World. I was exhausted playing the back half of that one and even used a few skips.

Ah, looks like RAB does know where the real danger is. While I'd like to take credit as some kind of master Pushmo demolisher, it's not like I went through the whole game in a week. I'd been chipping away at it back when I was playing Super Paper Mario in May before XC:DE came and I spent all my gaming time on it. Now that I've booted my Wii U back up to finish SPM, I got back into it as well. Just had 19 of the bonus puzzles to finish.

But while I haven't wanted to commit to anything in particular, I will reveal my next few goals. I've been playing a Switch indie game called A Case of Distrust. Doing my best to be a detective and solve the mystery. Making some progress but not sure how far along I'm in. Maybe I'm getting close to the end, maybe I've got more to do. Haven't had that Phoenix Wright moment yet of knowing who the murderer is and being primed to start breaking them down with evidence. Still collecting evidence.

I'm also going to go back to Kirby's 30th Anniversary Collection. I dropped off playing it around December or January. I was near the end of Kirby's Adventure and halfway through Kirby's Dream Land 2 so I think I'll clear those off. After that, not sure where I might go next but I've got some ideas like Balloon Kid in my GB VC collection or Toki Tori 3D which I also booted up to try out a few days ago. But I think I should be able to hit the double digit mark also this month.

Like Steefosaurus, I don't really consider the NES or SNES Switch Online games as part of my backlog. They're just convenient ways of playing stuff already in my library without having to set-up the old hardware. Otherwise, I'd probably zoom through a bunch on games on it like DKC, SMW2:YI, or Kirby Super Star to catch up on RAB. So, my slow start to get involved in this while RAB was racking up finishes should seal the deal for him. But I'll see if I can't keep it competitive yet.  ;D