Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269216 times)

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Finally. I can beat BlackNMild2k1 to a bit of DC news and start a separate DC thread that no one is asking for.

Anyways, this bit of news has to do with Superman. He can finally appear on the Supergirl TV show allowing him to take the spotlight away from the main character by actually appearing on screen instead of just doing it off screen and staying obscured.

One of the potential casting rumors is that of Tom Welling playing Superman, which I think is kind of funny, but I don't think will actually happen. Even better would be if Michael Rosenbaum were to play the role. Still, it looks like the DC TVU has another chance at outdoing its MovieU with how it handles Superman's emergence into it.

Looks like everything's coming up DC now.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:16:15 AM by Wino »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
This is is only for the first 2 episodes, I am guessing he isn't a regular cast member.  Which is too bad, because I always thought Supergirl plays much better as a character Superman can mentor because it helps Superman become more human.  However, they are going a different direction with Supergirl in this series with her being older but also younger.

I just they CW uses this season or next season to really combine all these DC shows and have one giant season long story arc.  Or at least finish up their regular series stories a week or two early and do a mega crossover mini-story if you wrote an 8 part mini series you could tell an amazing story with all these characters. 

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
It was already mentioned in the "New Movies and TV to Watch for" thread but there a crossover storyline involving all 4 shows next year But I think it will only be 4 episodes long. 1 in each show. Still, I'm looking forward that. Last year's Flash/Arrow crossover was really good and in general, whenever the shows crossover a couple characters into an episode, it generally seems to up that show's game for at least that episode like the King Shark episode in Flash and the Flash/Supergirl crossover. Hope they keep that trend going.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Snore.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I think it'd be cool if it was the Smallville guy, but I don't watch the show anyway.

Still on the fence about seeing Justice League in theatres.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
They should make sure they have Superman for the Crossover episode.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Brandon Routh should totally go for the Superman role... oh wait.

Maybe Dean Cain should reprise the role... oh yeah.. nevermind.

I bet Henry Cavill would love an opportunity to finally play Superman. could be pretty awesome.
He certainly has the build for it.

But Tom Welling would be funny because that would somehow bring Smallville in the Arrowverse... which means that "Justice Society" w/ Speedguy, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Cyborg, Clark, and whoever else existed in that show would have to also exist.
which gives us two Supergirls... one of which who is currently "Brainiac."

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I reckon it would be great if Tom Welling came back.  Sure, it does give an impression of a Smallville link, but would anyone really care? Since they have a tendency to use actors who've already had involvement in Superman in one way or another it seems a pretty solid prediction.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
He would have to play Bizarro or Zod, or some other character though. He can't be Superman again.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
But Tom Welling would be funny because that would somehow bring Smallville in the Arrowverse... which means that "Justice Society" w/ Speedguy, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Cyborg, Clark, and whoever else existed in that show would have to also exist.
which gives us two Supergirls... one of which who is currently "Brainiac."
Man, trying to put all that together and explain it sounds like the writers would have quite a crisis on their hands... ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Oh man.... those Suicide Squad reviews.

Seems some may enjoy it, but overall... it's not that great.
Better than BvS, but looks like it could be another bump in the road for this DCCU.

I'm gonna watch it anyway, as I was really hoping to like this one, so maybe I'll be able to enjoy it and not let the stink of BvS taint my SS experience... but if this tanks, and then WW doesn't come thru, I'm not sure what WB is gonna do next.
They better fast track that Batfleck Solo outing, as the only other movie on the near release list is JL, and going by the trailer... I'm not sold on that one yet.

Suicide Squad was supposed to be that DCCU film for me, so I'm not gonna let the reviews bring me down. I'm gonna go watch it... probably not this weekend, but sometime next week.I'm holding out hope it's better than the collective criticism that being passed around right now.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
In before Warner Bros drags the whole plan out behind the shed and has it shot.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I thought Suicide Squad was gonna have its own kind of tone and style and not really be indicative of how future movies would be.  Now, if it got rave reviews, I'd skeptical but still hopeful that WB got the DCCU on track.  But with it not being that great, I wonder if there just isn't enough leadership saying "No, this is a bad movie".  I know it's not fair that a bad movie would make me worry more than a good one would make me hopeful, but this is three (potentially) bad movies in a row.

I'm seeing WW for reasons, but that movie had better be fucking great.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
In before Warner Bros drags the whole plan out behind the shed and has it shot.

I think a plan needs to exist first in order to then shoot it.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Who's excited for The Killing Joke? Amazon just emailed me that my copy has been shipped. Should arrive soon.
One of the best books animated with the best voices: Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as The Joker. That right there bodes well.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Who's excited for The Killing Joke?
What the filmmakers did to Batgirl should make you want to punch things.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Yeah, I heard that and I don't even know if I want to buy it anymore. Bruce Timm always had a weird kink.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I read a bunch more reviews for SS... WOW, they fucked this one up. Sounds like executive meddling of the highest order, lots of cut scenes and last minute additions, hastily edited together makes for a mess of a movie.
Whodathunk!?

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
So, DC is following the Sony Movie Model in order to be different from the Marvel movie model. Maybe if SS flops, this will allow Marvel to reacquire the movie rights to the DC films from Warner Bros and bring the properties into the MCU where.... oh, wait. No. Sorry. I don't think the Sony Model is going to work out the same way for DC.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Luckily for DC they can continue to follow the TV shows lead, and start writing the flashpoint or inifinite earths crisis into the upcoming Flash movie and continue the DCCU on Earth 3 or something where all the DCCU movies were at minimum on par with the Marvel movies on Earth 1.
But on Earth 3, DC did it first, and Marvel was struggling to play catch up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile

Yeah, I heard that and I don't even know if I want to buy it anymore. Bruce Timm always had a weird kink.

Hm.  I was super-excited for this.  Although The Killing Joke was always a mixed bag for me (Loved the Joker story, hated what they did with Batgirl), my excitement of seeing it on-screen with the old TAS team back together really had me hyped.

I had to google this to see what was being talked about.  It went from something I planned to buy last night when I got off work to something I just can't support.  I feel I should still watch it to form my own opinion... but yeesh...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile

Considering that exact same thing was implied in Batman Beyond, I'd have to disagree with that.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:50:08 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Considering that exact same thing was implied in Batman Beyond, I'd have to disagree with that.
It wasn't okay in Batman Beyond either. Batgirl is typically portrayed as around the same age as Robin with Batman acting as a parental figure so pairing Batgirl and Batman can get the **** out of any continuity.

That isn't even the worst part. What's most problematic and insulting in "The Killing Joke" is how it's portrayed. The filmmakers went out of their way to expand Batgirl's role in the story except it sucks. In the comic, Alan Moore stopped just short of "fridging" Batgirl (though he later lamented his decision, feeling he should have been reined in rather than encouraged to "cripple the bitch"). She was a mere plot device in the original story. In the movie, Barbara Gordon dons the Batgirl costume to get Batman's attention as both mentor and potential sexual partner because fine. After the scene in question, Batman practically ghosts Batgirl because why not? Narratively, she serves the same purpose in both mediums (e.g. motivation in Batman's conflict with the Joker) except in the movie, she's also a jilted lover. What the **** was the point of that? So they just took bad writing and made it worse.

If they were going to play up any part of that relationship, why wouldn't it be the parental and mentoring side of it? The choices Bruce Timm and the writers made changed "The Killing Joke" thematically (not for the better), and it doesn't even really work because Batman is portrayed as cold and distant to Batgirl. So that changes Batman's motivation from avenging a former sidekick to avenging a girl he fucked then blew off. "The Killing Joke" was already dated in its portrayal and role of women, and the filmmakers way of rectifying that was to add a prologue to the original story in which Batgirl fucks Batman and pines for his approval. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the additions to the story have to be about female empowerment. However, they're so poorly done that they reinforce the notion that men can't write women (particularly without resorting to tired tropes and dumb cliches).

TLDR: **** this movie. **** it up its stupid ass.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:41:47 PM by Adrock »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
I disliked the movie because the Joker was barely in it. Especially after we meet him and realize, "Holy ****. I almost forgot how great a voice actor Mark Hamill is."
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
It was already mentioned in the "New Movies and TV to Watch for" thread but there a crossover storyline involving all 4 shows next year But I think it will only be 4 episodes long. 1 in each show. Still, I'm looking forward that. Last year's Flash/Arrow crossover was really good and in general, whenever the shows crossover a couple characters into an episode, it generally seems to up that show's game for at least that episode like the King Shark episode in Flash and the Flash/Supergirl crossover. Hope they keep that trend going.

I've loved both crossovers WB has done for Flash and Arrow. Last season's crossover was especially good, though. While I enjoyed Vandal Savage in Legend's of Tomorrow, I felt he was at his best in this crossover. Whatever the WB plans for with the four show crossover, I'll be excited for it. Especially can't wait for the next season of Legend's of Tomorrow, because I'm a huge fan of the JSA and those team members. Here's hoping Mr. Terrific manages to fit in somehow.

Going to see Suicide Squad tomorrow with my wife. I'm one of those weird people that didn't hate BvS (didn't love it, either, but it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be). My expectations aren't super high for it, but I'm hoping to at least enjoy the characters.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo