Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273833 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #1000 on: May 22, 2018, 01:13:33 AM »
If they could make a 3DS without 3D why couldn't they make a Switch that doesn't switch?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 22, 2018, 01:20:27 AM »
If they could make a 3DS without 3D why couldn't they make a Switch that doesn't switch?
Didn’t say Nintendo couldn’t though I don’t think it should. Also, I wonder what Nintendo would call a switch-less Switch. I don’t have a pun for this.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 22, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »

That's a GamePad.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1003 on: May 22, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
I would worry about how much smaller Nintendo could make the joy-con in that scenario.  They're already tiny and easy to lose/misplace.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 22, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
I would worry about how much smaller Nintendo could make the joy-con in that scenario.  They're already tiny and easy to lose/misplace.
To me, what makes the most sense for Nintendo’s purposes is Lite Switch (get it?): a self-contained unit (maybe with a smaller screen?) with its own controls, compatible with but sold without Joy-Cons and the dock. Nintendo can sell that for less than $200, and it gets the company closer to the one-per-person system goal while also allowing it to let 3DS go.
My bad. I can see how my description was unclear (emphasis added above).

I agree. Making the Joy-Cons smaller would be a mistake and could lead to compatibility issues due to different sized rails. I meant, a Lite Switch would look more like a traditional handheld similar to the PS Vita while retaining the ability to dock. You would be able to connect Joy-Cons wirelessly for multiplayer, just not be able to slide them into the unit as it wouldn’t have the rails. The intent would be driving the price down at the cost of some of the options and convenience of the standard Switch.

If you want to dock, you’ll have to buy one (and it really should be the same dock, not a separate and unique Lite-only dock) in addition to Joy-Cons and/or a Pro Controller.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 22, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »
I hate hardware revision speculation because no matter how dumb your idea is, it's likely less stupid than what Nintendo will actually release.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1006 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
It's cool.  You mentioned the need for it to still be switchable, and in my head the removable joy-con were are part of that along with with dockability.

In that case, I love the idea.  If it can fit in the regular dock with joysticks still on it (maybe go back to circle pads?) then it'd be perfect.  Although the dock price needs to come down.  Knowing Nintendo, they'd probably sell a dock adapter or something.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 22, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
If it can fit in the regular dock with joysticks still on it (maybe go back to circle pads?) then it'd be perfect.  Although the dock price needs to come down.  Knowing Nintendo, they'd probably sell a dock adapter or something.
Yeah, it’d require some engineering on Nintendo’s part, but that’s why the hardware designers get paid the big bucks.

Maybe the references to the new PCB and Tegra model number are referring to a smaller revision that doesn’t require a heatsink allowing the unit to be thinner thus able to slide into the standard dock. Or maybe Nintendo just releases a Lite dock compatible with the standard Switch. Suck it, everyone who has the old dock.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
Speaking of Tegra X1...I'm getting tempted to buy another Switch for homebrew. Lantus (well, now he's known as Modern Vintage Gamer) did a ton of emulator ports on the original Xbox, and now he's starting on Switch ports.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 23, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »
Yeah, all the different components of a Switch kit are going to make revisions a bit more tricky. That's why I agree with Adrock in that I think the first alternate model to release is going to be some sort of portable-only Switch with a lower cost. This will probably most appeal to the 3DS crowd looking for a new game system.

Also, I wonder what Nintendo would call a switch-less Switch. I don’t have a pun for this.
Hmm... how about Swontch? As in "won't switch"?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:43:36 PM by Mop it up »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
Hey, Hey we're the Panic Button, and they think we Panic around...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/311406-panic-button-set-to-reveal-another-major-switch-port-next-month#comments

More Switch ports coming!

Just wanted to get the headline out there, but the article it links to has interesting details as well.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/doom-wolfenstein-ii-switch-aaa-1202843637/

They have been working with the Switch for SIX YEARS. 6 years? That puts it back in 2012! The Wii U was only a year old. Crazy stuff. Who else was messing it with it back then? The Tegra X1 chip only came out in 2015. Nintendo must have been planning to go with Nvidia hardware for a long long time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 14, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
New news: too lazy to post a link, but in-game voice chat is now supported on Switch (been available since April). Fortnite is the first game to support it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 14, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
New news: too lazy to post a link, but in-game voice chat is now supported on Switch (been available since April). Fortnite is the first game to support it.

Here you go! https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/12/fortnite-for-switch-voice-chat/

Hey, Hey we're the Panic Button, and they think we Panic around...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/311406-panic-button-set-to-reveal-another-major-switch-port-next-month#comments

More Switch ports coming!

I wonder if it will be another Bethesda title or from someone else. Maybe they are working with Blizzard on that rumored Diablo 3 port?

There were a number of multi-plat titles announced that were "implied" to be coming to Switch at some point.

If it is Bethesda, I'm hoping for a Fallout title. I kinda doubt it would be an announcement for one of the games just announced like Starfield or ES6 or Doom Eternal.

I feel like if it was a major publisher/dev port we would have seen something at the Ubisoft or other dev press conferences (I was hoping for an Assassins Creed port).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:06:29 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:26 PM »
Time to start a Twitter Campaign for Neir Automata on Switch!

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/14/yoko-taro-takahisa-taura-yosuke-saito-talk-possible-nier-automata-switch-port/

I already own the game on PS4, but I hope it gets ported so everyone has a chance to play that fantastic game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 21, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
There is a kick-starter for a vertical Switch grip going on right now. Only costs $12 and they have already prototyped, tested and is ready for manufacture, so we can expect the finished product this Fall. Might be the first kickstarter I back.

Would be a great way to play Doonkey Kong and Ikaruga in their original form.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 21, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
Doonkey Kong is beest Kong.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 21, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »
I originally typed Konkey Kong, but created a different typo when I corrected it. Still funny, but sad I missed it on the correction.
My Game Collection

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1018 on: June 22, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »
Looks like it'll be backed within 24 hours so it's rapidly nearing the point of being a preorder. (Disclaimer: I backed it as well.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 22, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
I went ahead and backed it as well. Its now almost $20k over the threshold. If nothing else it could be used as a grip for my second pair of joy cons when playing with friends. An official grip is $20, so this is cheaper with an added perk.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: July 03, 2018, 12:55:49 AM »
Square Enix is working an multi-platform action RPG coming to Switch and PS4

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/square-enix-business-division-8-developing-ps4-and-switch-action-rpg

What could it be?

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 03, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
I would have to imagine that it's a new Mana game. The producer of the remakes said he wanted to create a new game in the series and include Switch as a platform going forward.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 04, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »
Either that or they are reviving Crystal Chronicles...I just want an upgrade/remake to the original Crystal Chronicles
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
Panic Button is the golden child lately when it comes to Switch, they did an AMA on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8yaezs/ama_panic_button_ask_us_anything/

Here is a quick summary: https://www.resetera.com/threads/panic-button-doing-an-ama.54961/#post-10322668

Lots of interesting Tidbits in there, Interesting that Doom was finished before the Switch released. I'm wondering if Bethesda was planning on ports to the Nvidia Shield.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
Does anyone here know offhand if there is an adapter to connect NES / SNES Classic controllers to Switch?