Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 139723 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Disney+
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2020, 11:25:23 PM »
Just tried it on my web browser. Only had to toggle it once and the next episode I clicked on was still in 4:3.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
Mulan coming to Disney Plus in September

You have to pay $29.99 though. 🤷‍♀️

Hmm, I’ll wait until it’s included with Disney+.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
$30 for a family movie isn't entirely unreasonable.... if you look at it objectively.
But do I get to keep it? Do I have to pay $30 again if I want to watch it again later?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2020, 09:45:54 PM »
WSJ says it's a download.

In a bid to adapt to the pandemic’s impact, the company said its big-budget remake of “Mulan,” originally slated to open in theaters this spring and postponed several times since, will now debut as a premium-priced download on Disney+. Starting early next month, it will be available for about $30 in the U.S., Canada and several other major markets. The company said the movie will open in theaters in markets where cinemas are operating.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
$30 for a family movie isn't entirely unreasonable.... if you look at it objectively.
Sure. The more people you have, the easier it is to justify that. I’m one person in quarantine so I can wait until Mulan is on regular, pleb Disney+. When I go to the theater, I mostly go to matinees so depending on the location, a ticket is $7 to $10.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2020, 12:21:15 AM »
For comparison, Trolls World Tour was $20 to rent and $25 to buy.

And aren't new Blu Ray releases $20-30? I don't think this pricing is particularly odd, just inflated with the Disney premium.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
Its not a bad price, but this isn't a theater experience. I would expect to get to "keep" the film available for unlimited re-watches at that price until it is "released to general audiences". I'm sure this is partly an experiment on their part (as well as a production cost mitigation trick) so future options and prices for this kind of thing will be shaped by how many people bite on this. I'm already avoiding all the Disney remakes so not a difficult choice for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »
I need about 10 more inches on my tv to not care at all about the theater experience.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 29, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
I meant to post this several weeks ago, but now a new trailer came out, so better late than never...

and the trailer for Marvel's 616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODhWjCxydU

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
Pixar's SOUL is coming to D+ this X-Mas, at no extra charge (skipping the theater release)!!!
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/pixar-soul-disney-plus-1234773525/

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »
Dang, guess Mulan didn't do well enough to keep that up.

Or I suppose it could be that Disney wants to focus on boosting the D+ MAU base with a big, box office level release.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
Disney+ needs to release a big new movie or new project every month that people want to see...if it is series that will last a few months then maybe not a new thing every month.  But, Get that family or person unwilling to cancel because the next thing is about to release right on renewal day. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
Disney must be counting it's blessings getting Disney+ off the ground when it did.
They are about to start a big focus on streaming going forward. No idea what that means for theaters in the long term, but Disney ain't waiting around for them to open up again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

CEO apparently stated something about Theatrical and Streaming options same day....
AMC probably don't like that too much. :/ (Netflix is probably ROFL tho)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:12:53 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2020, 06:29:50 PM »
That's Disney's best bet right now though.  They may not get billion dollar box grossing movies for a while, so might as well focus on the growing business.  They still need to see how the theatre business shakes out post COVID, so there's a big question mark there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2020, 11:54:35 AM »
They still need to see how the theatre business shakes out post COVID, so there's a big question mark there.
Not looking good for theaters.

AMC Theatres Says Cash Resources to Be "Largely Depleted" by End of 2020 or Early 2021

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:12 AM »
Pixar's SOUL is coming to D+ this X-Mas, at no extra charge (skipping the theater release)!!!
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/pixar-soul-disney-plus-1234773525/

Pixar's Soul - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs--6c7Hn_A

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
I decided to watch the 1992 animated X-Men series - I haven't seen it since it originally aired.  It... does not hold up as well as I would have hoped, but it is still enjoyable.  The fact it's very much not episodic and a kid's animated show from the early 90s helps a lot.

However, the episodes are very much out of order, with events being referenced that hasn't happened yet and Jean Grey's funeral episode taking after her return in the Dark Phoenix four-parter.

Taking a break from it, I remembered there being an X-Men themed episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, so I decided to watch it.  Also not an amazing show, but fun.  However, I noticed an episode was missing - like, they just went from 12 to 14.  Google tells me there's a Red Skull episode with plenty of Hitler and Nazi references.  Shame they've hidden it away.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2020, 12:08:56 AM »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #243 on: November 27, 2020, 06:23:10 AM »
Any thoughts of this Disney 18+ or Disney Star label for Disney + shows?

Personally, I don't mind a secondary app or location, but I don't want to pay another subscription.  Raise the price maybe but Disney can easily just add the content to Disney + and pull even more content from Hulu which is unnecessary streamer except for live TV options.  I think once contract obligations go away with Hulu you will see shows disappear and go to other streaming services.  Disney really needs to open the floodgates to Fox's deep catalog of films, and Disney's Miramax labels and more...and right now Disney + is feeling kinda small.  Dropping in adult content would really beef up the catalog.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 27, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
Ideally, if Disney wants to offer rated R/TV-14 and up content, lock it behind parental controls on Disney+. I don’t want another app, another subscription, or a price hike.

Alternatively, it might just be easier to offer that content on Hulu and add more bundles. Does anyone really want ESPN+? How about a $9.99/$12.99 bundle with Disney+ and Hulu with ads/no ads? Yes, that is technically another app, another subscription, and a price hike. However, I don’t want another Disney-related one on top of them.

Anecdotally, I barely watch Disney+. It was worth it for the three-year dealie I signed up for, but I’m not sure I’ll renew once it expires. I don’t think I really need Hulu either (access to Futurama and Archer are tempting). I get by on Netflix and occasionally checking Prime Video.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 28, 2020, 12:42:16 AM »
My suggestion was to just hide the TV-M/R content behind parental controls. And if they can lock the adult accounts behind a quick remote password like on the Amazon Fire devices, it shouldn't even be a problem. Kids have to use their own accounts, parents take 3 seconds to do a password using the directional pad on the remote.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
I'm in the same camp as you guys. If Disney wants to hide "mature" content behind another app, that's gonna be an annoyance.  If they want to hide it behind another subscription, that's gonna be a no-go for me.  To be honest, I don't think D+ has quite enough content, so it'd be a really bold move for them to try and offer another streaming service.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:43 PM »
As it is, when it comes to streaming, my order for checking for things to watch are:
1) Netflix
2) HBO Max
3) Netflix
4) Hulu
5) Prime Video
6) Netflix
7) HBO Max
8) Internet on my phone, including IG/Youtube
9) Netflix
10) Disney +

Basically, I already know what I'm looking for on Disney +, so unless I specifically want to watch those few things.... I'm looking elsewhere. There is not enough content I'm unfamiliar with, or looking forward to, to just casually browse the catalog in hopes of something interesting to watch.
They NEED a Disney Teen+/17+/Post Puberty section to fill out the catalog.
If I wasn't watching The Mandalorian or MCU rewatch, I literally don't have a need to even turn to Disney+ at the moment. 1st year has passed... Still waiting on my new Marvel Content.
At this point, I feel they should credit me another year, just for having purchased the first 3 upfront on faith of content that hasn't really been delivered.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »
I have been eyeing HBO Max It just seems to offer a huge amount of content for all ages.  Sesame Street to me seems like enough of buy in for me.  But then all the Warner Bros stuff, DC stuff, and HBO content.  It just seems like HBO Max is the best contender to Netflix.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2020, 05:05:08 PM »
I have been eyeing HBO Max It just seems to offer a huge amount of content for all ages.  Sesame Street to me seems like enough of buy in for me.  But then all the Warner Bros stuff, DC stuff, and HBO content.  It just seems like HBO Max is the best contender to Netflix.

There's some adult swim stuff and Studio Ghibli, which really makes the service for me.  I already liked HBO programming, but adding things like the Adventure Time specials and the aforementioned really puts it over.  They did a great job, imo with the value proposition.

As far as when deciding what to watch, I either go into an app with intention based on what I'm currently binging (e.g., the other night I wanted to watch The Mandalorian, so I went straight there).  But if I'm just browsing, I'll honestly go to YouTube unless I want to sit down and watch a movie.