Author Topic: Hominid  (Read 3006 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Hominid
« on: July 30, 2004, 05:41:03 AM »
Hominid

A 2d sidescroller for the cube and ps2 with cooperative multiplayer. Nothing revolutionary, but still a rare sight these days. Though it's weird that SCEA didn't reject the title. Hm, maybe they still have to decide on the issue.
Unlike VJ it doesn't use cel shading but full sprites. Looks pretty nice, nonetheless.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Hominid
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 06:57:09 AM »
Are you sure those are sprites?  They look like cel-shaded polygons.  Even if they are sprites they don't look like they are which kind of kills some of the appeal to me.  I like 2D games that look like they're 2D games.

Anyhoo I'll keep my eye on it since I'm always down for some console 2D gaming.  We have to keep 2D alive before SCEA kills it.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Hominid
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 08:10:26 AM »
Hominid graphically looks like a fusion of jet set radio, viewtiful joe and Under the Skin.  I think I'll love a game like this  deaming it will be as fun as viewtiful joe and maybe under the skin when it comes out.

EDIT: KDR- Im still surprised SCEA allowed viewtiful joe 1 and 2 on PS2 and Under The Skin as well.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 08:29:56 AM »
I think it looks amazing.  Reminds me of Invader Zim, which is the best cartoon ever.

I'll be picking this up.  Will be a great addition to my Hori controller.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 08:46:31 AM »
Lord_die_seis: I think SCEA didn't allow VJ1?

Ian: The devs stated those are hand drawn. Perhaps they're vector graphics, considering their size and the GC's RAM (not to mention the PS2's texture access limitations) vector graphics sound reasonable (i.e. they'd be polygons, but flat like Mr. Game&Watch in SSBM).

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 09:02:59 AM »
Random Trivia of the Day: This game was made by the guys that started New Grounds. Seriously, how cool is that? I want more games from them. Sidescrollers are coming back! Yay!

(Yes, I know it was in the article. )
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 10:51:12 AM »
I was about to say that.  I played it back in the day.  It's kinda fun, but hard as crap.  Or was, anyway.  That might change.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 02:13:52 PM »
KDR then why  is there a PS2 logo on Capcom U.S. E3 Site for VJ1  and it would be just silly for capcom to release VJ2 PS2 ver. without VJ1 PS2 ver. in america.  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 03:39:56 PM »
Holy crap this game looks like fun. I also like the little main character. He kinda reminds me of Stitch... if Stitch was yellow and suddenly decided to go totally homicidal. Not to mention I *LOVE* the handdrawn art...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 04:05:17 PM »
The game looks uber awesome but i hope this game does not get bashed like other cell shaded games like they did before. And to me the cell shaded look brings out some magic that cant be accomplished by the normal generic 3D realistic graphics can get you *cough cough EA cough cough*.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 04:22:54 PM »

KDR then why is there a PS2 logo on Capcom U.S. E3 Site for VJ1 and it would be just silly for capcom to release VJ2 PS2 ver. without VJ1 PS2 ver. in america.

Because SCEA apparently doesn't like games that aren't uber realistic. Although I believe they've finally allowed VJ to be released here, they have blocked the American releases of Tales of Symphonia and Killer 7.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 05:13:42 PM »
They blocked ToS and K7? Wow....dumb ass move there. Ah well, another reason for me not to care about that system...
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 07:21:37 PM »
I wonder Rabicle will like this game since you also fight russian comunists.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 05:09:16 PM »
I was wondering where i had heard that name before. It was like killing me as im reading the first few posts (I didn't read the article yet). Then as i read Berny's post about New Grounds I was like "Oh yeah, i've played it, on New Grounds."

Just some Random Trivia of the Day.  

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 06:09:54 PM »
A multiplayer side 2d side scroller, thats sure a new idea.  Though its not very original or up to date, I love it.  I loved playing 2d side scrollers on the snes with my brother, games like  Teenage Mutant ninja turtles, Double Dragon, that one game where your cowboys and your shooting a bunch of people (cant remeber that the name obviously) playing following in the steps of viewtiful joe is awesome.  This will not be the game of the year but it will be a good budget title to pick up, if it is a budget title.
PikkCuber