Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 96034 times)

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2004, 01:42:38 AM »
well, by any standards, thats an excellent score, who cares if halo 2 or san andreas got a point more or less
and anyway, one of the reviewers gave the game a 10 right( or is that not how it works) which means that atleast he found it practiacally perfect
LZ 2005

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #401 on: November 07, 2004, 05:06:25 AM »
I haven't read the review from EGM yet but I heard the two 9's were because the game was too hard and because it didn't go that far beyond Metroid Prime in terms of innovation.

While I totally agreed with their Metroid Prime review (it got three 10's and all the reviewers were practically having orgasms) I don't think those are good reasons to give it a nine. Also I heard they actually said it was better than the original. Maybe they just didn't want to give four platinums in one issue (Metal Gear Solid 3 also got shafted). I have San Andreas and it's awesome but it also doesn't go that far beyond what Vice City did, and it's definately not as well rounded as MP2 (the graphics are still well below the other categories in quality) but it got 3 tens.

Oh well. I'm more interested in Gamespot's reviews. So far they gave San Andreas a 9.6 (GTA3 and Vice also got 9.6's). Halo and Metroid Prime both got 9.7's and it looks like Halo 2 and Metroid Prime 2 are both better than the originals, but then again they will probably get a little taken off because they are sequels and fundamentally the same as the originals, so I wouldn't be surprised if they both get 9.7's. Metal Gear Solid 2 got a 9.6 I think and I think Snake eater will get around a 9.5... But then again Ratchet and Clank 3 got a ridiculus 8.7, which is very good but I think it should have gotten at least a 9.2 or 9.3. It's funny how Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2 both got 9.2's when Ratchet and Clank 3 is arguably better than both.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 07, 2004, 05:11:35 AM »
"It's funny how Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2 both got 9.2's when Ratchet and Clank 3 is arguably better than both."

There's only so much platforming you can do in one generation before you get completely sick of the genre.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 07, 2004, 07:01:20 AM »
"It's funny how Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2 both got 9.2's when Ratchet and Clank 3 is arguably better than both."

Not to me!

I believe Prime 2 got shafted because "someone" didn't want it getting the same score as Halo 2...I'm all about conspiracy theories...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 07, 2004, 11:22:25 AM »
Yeah conspiracy all the way
I just think we should get more hyped about this game and not concentrate on these review scores as much, we already no by what weve read from impressions and reviews that this is a A+ game, who gives a fukk if some people like it a tiny bit less than others and thus give it a near perfect score.

Im sure that IGN although claiming the game is better than its predecessor, wont give an equally good score, im expecting a 9.7 because its not "all new".
LZ 2005

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2004, 02:24:06 PM »
Sure, there's only so much platforming you can do in one generation before you get sick of the genre. But that can't affect a game's score. Not everyone played all those games anyway. Apart from Mario Sunshine, which i didn't really think was amazing, I haven't played a single 3D third person platforming game this generation, including the original Ratchet games and all the other PS2 platformers. And I'm definately not alone. That's like counting off from Halo 2's score because it's yet another FPS. Did you want them to switch genres or something?

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2004, 03:55:24 PM »
No, I wanted them to stop making the same game over and over again.

Two titles in one generation I'm happy with... three is just overkill and incredibly stupid.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2004, 04:16:02 PM »
Gamespot gave Halo 2 a 9.4.

Apart from Mario Sunshine, which i didn't really think was amazing, I haven't played a single 3D third person platforming game this generation, including the original Ratchet games and all the other PS2 platformers.

Gamespot have.

Anyway, forget about reviews, Metroid Prime 2 is out soon, WHO'S EXCITED? If it really is better than Metroid Prime then it will most likely become my favourite game ever. I love Nintendo for releasing it in PAL this year, down with 50hz!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #408 on: November 07, 2004, 05:15:45 PM »
Geez.  This is why we don't go any smaller than half-points.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 09, 2004, 12:38:43 PM »
Gamespot have? lol learn english dude. Oh wait, this is a message board...silly me.
Yes, but other mags and sites have played it and they haven't given such a low score. I mean go to Metacritic.om or gamerankings.com, Ratchet 3 is one of the highest scoring games of this entire generation. It has like a 95 on metacritic which is in like the top 15 of the three consoles. Of course it only has 16 reviews so far so it may go down a point or two. Halo 2 was hovering around a 98 yesterday and now it's 97...I think it'll settle on 96 when most of the reviews are in, but it could stay at 97 (Halo and Metroid Prime are both 97). In case anyone is wondering OoT is 99...I wonder if any other game will ever have a 99 on metacritic this generation? Maybe zelda....(wind waker got a 96...but then again it had its flaws and two whole dungeons were obviously scrapped because of time...)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 09, 2004, 12:53:18 PM »
"Gamespot have? lol learn english dude. Oh wait, this is a message board...silly me."

Oh man, are you going to feel crunchy when you learn both phrases are correct!  "Gamespot has" is correct if you look at the company as a singular entity, and "Gamespot have" is if you look at the company as a collective plural noun.  But YOU KNEW THAT before you belittled somebody on the basis of grammar, right?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 09, 2004, 12:59:42 PM »

Gamespot have? lol learn english dude. Oh wait, this is a message board...silly me.

You forgot a space after your ellipsis.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2004, 02:09:33 AM »
You people make me sad, only a few more days to get excited, and you talk about grammar. Is anybody else except me playing through the first Prime again before the release? I am and its a blast, you really forget quite a lot from a game if you dont play it for 2 years. Highly recommended.
LZ 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 10, 2004, 06:06:33 AM »
"Is anybody else except me playing through the first Prime again before the release?"

I did for an hour or so. But then I stopped... I don't need more anticipation for 2 than I already have; it'll kill me.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2004, 06:09:24 AM »
My game had been deleted.  I went from 63% to 80% (and going back to collect items and such soon) and beat the game again.  I got to unlock the Fusion suit for the first time (I have and beat Fusion and used my friend's GBA, but my Prime game had been deleted by then), I got to fight Meta Ridley again (hells yes), and I got more scans (though I think I'm missing the Hive Totem or something.  Dammit!).  It's awesome to go back over it, remind yourself of how good it is.
I may have to wait till Christmas for this, though.  Oh god, please let it pass quickly.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2004, 07:25:10 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
"Is anybody else except me playing through the first Prime again before the release?"

I did for an hour or so. But then I stopped... I don't need more anticipation for 2 than I already have; it'll kill me.

come on, whats better to kill time for the next few days than this awesome 20-30 hour game, just skip the scanning and boring stuff, and get on with it, its a blast

LZ 2005

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2004, 09:49:16 AM »
I have found a review for this game.  1UP.com gave it an 8.5.  That's a decent score though I found the review to be overly negative.  It had that "list off all the stuff that sucks" format to it that a lot of sites have started using for Nintendo's major titles.  Judging by the review Metroid Prime 2 doesn't change things up too much so realistically anything you hated about the first game is probably still in the second.  Still it looks like the reviewer was trying to find as many flaws as possible and went in with a bias beforehand.

Still it's not a bad score.  In fact it's probably pretty accurate.  It's just a little unfair for Metroid Prime 2 to get a more critical lookover while GTA: San Andreas and Halo 2 get the "there's some flaws but who cares it rulez!! Perfect 10!" treatment.  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2004, 11:03:11 AM »
If you read the boards everyone that's not a troll or an anti-nintendo fanboy says that the review sucks.  That review nit picked every bad thing (most of which were actually good for metroid) that he could find to make sure it wasn't as good as Halo.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2004, 02:28:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid

come on, whats better to kill time for the next few days than this awesome 20-30 hour game, just skip the scanning and boring stuff, and get on with it, its a blast

By playing MARIO POWER TENNIS and VIEWTIFUL JOE 2 (if you get it early).

DUR DUR DUR

[j/k]... mario tennis...

~~~~~

This is the saddest season yet for so-called "media outlets" and "publications."  The reviewers sound like [losers?] who just want free/early games and E3 Media badges.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 10, 2004, 05:37:06 PM »
Gamespot has some updated impressions. They are farther into the game and are really loving it based on the tone of the preview.
They also said it's "devilishly challenging" but "very rewarding."

Sounds good to me. Too bad the early reviewers don't understand the game like the more respectable sites like Gamespot.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 10, 2004, 10:11:17 PM »
I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Somehow I doubt IGN or Gamespot will score MP2 very highly. Nintendo games are very heavily criticized these days... God forbid Retro make more of a good thing.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 11, 2004, 03:47:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
Geez.  This is why we don't go any smaller than half-points.

I still believe that a 100 point scale is the best one to use, or at the very least, the 10.0 scale that we used over at NI (And IGN/gamespot use) was decent enough.

Theres a large difference between a 9.2 and a 9.8 in my mind.  9.2 is incredible, 9.8 is absolutely unbelievably incredible.  10.0 is just pure perfection (something that I dont believe any games have really acquired.)

However, there is only one review, and the "negatives" he mentioned sounded plausible, but, not the type fo thing that would bother me.  Difficulty is a gigantic plus in my mind, when I was resorted to attempting low % runs in metroid prime (hard) just to get some challenge out of the game, I can't wait for a difficult metroid title.  (note: I'm an insane metroid fanatic and thats what we do... I've low %'d everything but super metroid and the original...)

I never just rely on one score however, and certain reviewers hold more weight in my mind than others.  I'll just wait till next week and then go by the average thats shown on gamerankings, and then I'll see if i agree or disagree with that.  I have a feeling that IGN is going to give prime 2 something over a 9.5 at least, I'm curious what the rest of the media will feel, espicially if the unnecessary comparisons to Halo 2 come up, which is harder to avoid this year as both games are being released only a week away from eachother.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 11, 2004, 11:36:18 AM »
FuK SCORES MEGA HYPE SUPER HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!!!
LZ 2005

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 11, 2004, 01:47:48 PM »

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

Somehow I doubt IGN or Gamespot will score MP2 very highly. Nintendo games are very heavily criticized these days... God forbid Retro make more of a good thing.

Do you really think it'll review poorly even with the bias? Echoes has some major gameplay changes. And the one thing everyone was bitching about in the first one? The lack of multiplayer? Yeah that's there too. Halo 2 will probably steal Samus' thunder though. =(
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 11, 2004, 06:07:22 PM »
gamespot reviewed it and they loved it.  the only thing that hurt it in my opionion was the stupid multiplayer that shouldn't have been there.