Author Topic: Wii Is Dancing with the Stars Tonight.  (Read 5813 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wii Is Dancing with the Stars Tonight.
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:01:53 AM »
Remember to watch ABC tonight as Nintendo airs the first Wii commercial on television.

Did You Know?    

Nintendo's First Wii Commercial Airs Tuesday Night

Call your friends, cancel your plans and set your cell phone on vibrate. The first TV commercial for Nintendo's amazing new Wii(TM) video game  system is set to air Tuesday night.  The first in a series of four 30-second ads runs during the performance finals of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.    

The commercials feature two Japanese men who show up at homes across the United States and announce: "Wii would like to play."  The fun ads  demonstrate the motion-sensitive abilities of the Wii Remote controller while a cool Japanese pop tune plays.    

"The fact that we have people all but begging to see Wii commercials demonstrates the huge amount of interest in our new system," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications.    

The commercials will be posted to nintendo.com YouTube.com.  The first place that viewers can see all four of them together in a two-minute film  will be Nov. 15 on MTV2's Sucker Free.  To accomplish Wii's goal of bringing gaming to the masses, ads will air on ABC, NBC, Comedy Central, BET, USA, TBS, Discovery, Animal Planet, ABC Family, Nick at Nite, Sci-Fi, TLC, Fox, The CW, MTV 10 Spot, MTV, MTV2, MTVU, Adult Swim, Fuse, Si TV, The N, VH-1 and Black Family Channel.    

Nintendo has focused on hands-on marketing efforts like the Nintendo Fusion Tour and viral sampling events in cities across the country.  Now  the Wii experience moves into people's homes for the holidays.  Even as these new ads run, experiential sampling events will continue into 2007.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Is Dancing with the Stars Tonight.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:24:48 AM »
I saw a Call of Duty commercial this morning on MTV's morning wake up, specifically for the wii.  Featured a teenager holding his wii mote and nunchuk like one would hold a gun and it featured a pistol whip (less the pistol and insert rifle - forget what those are called.   I haven't played an FPS in ages).  Then it showed the wii logo and the i's bowed.  What do you mean first commercial?

REdit:  For the console itself?  I think the system is so unique that any game ad is for the console itself but whatever...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Wii Is Dancing with the Stars Tonight.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »
Yeah, I saw a Red Steel commercial late a few nights ago. It was pretty good and really showed off the features of the console itself. There should really be more game ads than console ads because the game ads really do the trick.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
I'm not watching the show just for something that will be on YouTube the next day. Maybe if they were giving out Wiis.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:12:19 PM »
I'll watch the commercials, but i'm not watching the show itself.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:16:42 PM »
Well my mom watches the show and I'm currently mudding the drywall so I'm stuck watching the show and the commercial.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »
Ahhh, just saw it. :D  Was a pretty good edit.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 03:35:35 PM »
It was alright, at least it was better than the horrible PS3 commericals (which make no sense).

What was that track running game though? The one where the mother was controlling what looked like a Mii running on a track?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:40:46 PM »
I believe that was Wario Ware.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 05:03:21 PM »
Damn it, I was out all day. Youtube linky?
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »
Really like the commercial, though I would have expected something a little less gamer focused for a show like Dancing With the Stars. Console is looking especially sexy in that glamor shot at the end.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »
Reading through the comments on the youtube link from Bloodworth.  Fanboys are funny (on both sides), but Im glad I dont regularly go anywhere that has that immense level of immaturity.

Anyway, the commercial looks really cool.  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »
That wasn't the commerical I seen on dancing with the stars that one had a family and Wii Sports in the you tube one has a guy in a high rise apartment unless they were showing different commercials in different regions.

Though I like the fire flower wall hanging in the you tube one.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 02:58:29 AM »
Nice commercial, I like it. Much better than the Sony ads as of late. Though I'm surprised they didn't show multiplayer action.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Really like the commercial, though I would have expected something a little less gamer focused for a show like Dancing With the Stars. Console is looking especially sexy in that glamor shot at the end.
I agree.  I think one of the first visits (from the full version) would have made a better commercial for a show like Dancing with the Stars and this one would be better suited for something on Cartoon Network or MTV (or at least 24 or Lost).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 07:43:13 PM »
All of the US commercials are now available here. I have to say, I think this is the best series of ads by a big name director since Terry Gilliam's Nike commercials

I agree. I think one of the first visits (from the full version) would have made a better commercial for a show like Dancing with the Stars and this one would be better suited for something on Cartoon Network or MTV (or at least 24 or Lost).

Actually, apparently they did use the one featuring Wii sports ("Nashville" edit: gah, Naperville) for Dancing with the Stars, so yay.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 06:23:35 AM »
Your link to the Nike commercials links to the US Wii commercials.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 09:47:09 AM »
Wow, that really is a good campaign.. is the long one in cinemas? I remember at the DS launch, they had some great theatre ads..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 03:12:20 AM »

Your link to the Nike commercials links to the US Wii commercials.

Damn. Fixed