Author Topic: First Pokemon Diamond/Pearl WiFi Details  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
First Pokemon Diamond/Pearl WiFi Details
« on: July 13, 2006, 05:30:45 AM »
Like it or not, friend codes will anchor the system.

The latest issue of CoroCoro magazine just came out in Japan and it revealed some of the first details of how the Nintendo WiFi Connection will be incorporated in the new Pokemon titles.    

Two key details were revealed.  

• Friend codes will be used in the game.
  •  
  • The game will feature voice chat.

The Japanese release date was also confirmed for September 28, 2006 and several new Pokemon were shown, including the two new legendary Pokemon that will each be on the cover of one of the games.  If you have access to the magazine and are a fan of the series, you may want to pick it up.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: First Pokemon Diamond/Pearl WiFi Details
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:37:25 AM »
I think a lot of people were secretly hoping this would be the first game where Nintendo used an alternative to friend codes. Sadly, they will be making a return. I just hope they learned something from Prime Hunters and this game uses a similar system to that. If there is still random match making with the rival system to add 'friends' on the fly, I'll be happy.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »
Voice chat? Oh no, the horror, "go pikachu" shouted the kid, oh the horror. I'm still getting the game, hopefully there will be online trading between friends.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »
It's sad that I'm not surprised at all that Nintendo is sticking with a method no one likes.  Oh well, at least they're actually making online games now and with no fees to boot.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:49:15 AM »
This is freaking Pokemon. Remember the uproar about paedophiles baiting children over the "internet" (actually pictochat but you know those tabloids)? Now add a game aimed at children and true internet functionality to that. Nintendo can't afford to leave this unrestricted, it'd give those childofascists ("What? You won't give up your fundamental rights? Won't somebody please think of the children?") way too much ammunition.

Offline 31 Flavas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:09:51 AM »
And that aside, I don't need to hear some retard, young or old, spewing profanity and insults at me just because he can. I'll add the friends I know. The rest can just be rivals.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:57 AM »
Right.  I feel the same way 31... As long as the Rivals system is there, I think everything will be fine.
---------------------

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:First Pokemon Diamond/Pearl WiFi Details
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
This is freaking Pokemon. Remember the uproar about paedophiles baiting children over the "internet" (actually pictochat but you know those tabloids)? Now add a game aimed at children and true internet functionality to that. Nintendo can't afford to leave this unrestricted, it'd give those childofascists ("What? You won't give up your fundamental rights? Won't somebody please think of the children?") way too much ammunition.

QFT

This is the game beyond all others which I truly think needs friend codes.

I hope their first online M-rated game doesn't need friend codes. It would completely defeat the purpose of having an M-rating if they still feared pedophiles targeting children since only 18+ year olds should be playing the game to start with.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

I hope their first online M-rated game doesn't need friend codes. It would completely defeat the purpose of having an M-rating if they still feared pedophiles targeting children since only 18+ year olds should be playing the game to start with.
Well, you're still going to need friend codes to identify people.

WFC, as of yet, maybe never, does not have a universal friend code or "username" like Microsoft's Live. So you can't find random people or friends you want to connect with privately without some such system. This mythical "M-rated" game on WFC could perhaps though transfer friend codes automatically. Or for that matter allow you to "upgrade" rivals to friends. It would most likely be up to the game developers.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
That isn't entirely true 31.  Your account is bound to your DS which does have a unique MAC address (and possibly another form of unique identity).  Also, as you can see with your network settings, the DS can store some data across games.  The question there is whether or not there is enough space to store a friends list of any significant size.

Either way, I think Nintendo realizes the complaints with the DS and there is definately some truth to the fact that their hardware decisions have gotten themselves in a hole.  We can only hope it proved to be a valuable learning experience when it came to designing Wii's system.

Also, a game doesn't have to be M-Rated to have online chat.  The ESRB doesn't base their rating on the fact that some crazy people may have cyber sex in 'public' in the game.  They instead put a note below the rating... something like "Your experiences may differ when playing online."
---------------------

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
I can't wait for this game to come out. Online play will be great, although I would rather they didn't have voice chat, but i guess they gotta use the microphone for something. Speaking of which... no not here.

Friend codes? whatever, hopefully it will still have random coupling ala Metroid Prime.

September 28, 2006? Too bad I can't understand Japanese short of a few sayings, but I'll be at a Tool (best band ever) concert that day! Making the wait until the North A. release just a little more bearable.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »
Double post...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale Also, a game doesn't have to be M-Rated to have online chat.  The ESRB doesn't base their rating on the fact that some crazy people may have cyber sex in 'public' in the game.  They instead put a note below the rating... something like "Your experiences may differ when playing online."

Nintendo's fear of having their online systems made out to be a minefield of pedophiles out to lure children was the advent of friend codes, I believe.

In the case of any game with an M-rating, Nintendo has the strong argument of "The game should not be in the hands of anyone under 18 to start with." in case the media tries to raise a stink about Nintendo not being safe, which they've ALREADY tried to do once with the whole Pictochat scandal, despite the fact that Pictochat doesn't go on the internet and that leaving your kid alone at a web browser is 1,000x more dangerous than Pictochat will EVER be.

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
If your kid is at home communication with perverts using Pictochat, then something is very wrong. o_0

Although no friend codes in the way that they are now would have been nice, having online play is better then nothing. I wish I had a DS Lite. I don't want crappy iPod white!

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
Just get DS lite already, you'll thank me later.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 11:07:42 PM »
Wolf: It was at school IIRC but still.