Author Topic: Me performing wushu. updated  (Read 15015 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Me performing wushu. updated
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »
This was this past June, during my test. Years ago someone asked to see video and I had nothing. Now I have 3 routines to share. I was very proud of myself when I did it, but watching now, i'm super slow and my chin sticks out like a slack jawed yokel and I was off balance too many times. I will make one excuse though, I had a right ham string pull and decided to just to feel no pain for the day and make it worse.

Oh and i'm wearing a silk that's all blinged out. It's all the rage in China these days. I have more modest white one with a bit of black, but for some reason I was compelled to be

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:13:40 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Me performing wushu.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:16:24 PM »
You know when I was watching both videos I was reminded of the Soul Calibur 2 weapon demonstrations but we know you got into this because of Soul Calibur so it is understandable seeing the type of preformance. Also I have to say you are quite tall and flexable.

As for the videos showing up here I think you mean to embed the video here. You just have to click on the share button and then embed and then copy the embed link here. Should be highlighted already. I am not sure if we can embed videos on the forum here so you may want to ask one of the staff if it is okay.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
If BnM and S-U-P-E-R hasn't done it yet I doubt we have the ability for that to work without being a Talkback story.

I like the Staff one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
I see, the link is cool then.

Thanks! Still got one more coming.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
I couldn't help but giggle at both of them. Not in a mean-spirited way, but in a more impressive, "that's awesome" sort of way.

I like the staff one the best also. Can't wait to see just hands.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it, being a wushu guy is nothing but constant criticism. Either the mma, tai kwon do, or karate guys laugh because of how dancy it looks or your teacher is constantly telling you what you did wrong to make it precise as possible. 

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it, being a wushu guy is nothing but constant criticism. Either the mma, tai kwon do, or karate guys laugh because of how dancy it looks or your teacher is constantly telling you what you did wrong to make it precise as possible. 
Then I'm safe in saying that the sword routine reminded me of rhythmic Gymnastics?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Re: Me performing wushu. updated
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
Hahaha of course. I expect no one to understand a single movement beyond a standard swing. Hahaha.

Wrapping the sword around my body, when I lean back like i'm drunk, or twirling it above my head, believe it or not it all actually means something as far as fighting is concerned. Don't get me wrong if I tried to be pretty like that in a fight I'd get killed before I could take one step. Plus the movements are very exaggerated to be as fully extended as possible, that's why it's called longfist. 

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
I gotta say that I liked the hands video alot.It was entertaining to watch. Can you explain each of the movements in the videos that you posted to get a better understanding of what exactly you are doing in these videos?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
that's why it's called longfist.

I thought that was your nickname. It is now. haha

The hands video was hilarious. My favorite part and what should be your new avatar:

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
I've got a Kempo friend and every time we see each other, he goes "so how's dance class?" It's all in good fun though. I used to take major offense to it. Kind of like when people used to bad mouth Nintendo I had to get on the defensive. Man have I grown.

Each one is a pretty long form, it would take forever to go through each movement, but I could explain a few of the odder ones. First off though, with the invention of fire arms war fare in China changed at the drop of hat. People were no longer on horse back  anymore with spears and swords, not when they could get shot from a half mile away.

To preserve martial arts the government made certain styles into official sports. So each of my routines contains all the mandatory techniques and stances required of competition. So back during the cultural revolution in china that is when wushu started to really become as pretty as it is today. I forget how long ago, but maybe the 50's or earlier all the true blue masters were gathered by the government to make a standardized martial art. BUT NO FIGHTING WHAT SO EVER! Practitioners could only be graded like a gymnast would with points.

With that said, all the masters came to conclusions has to how punch should be. Where the chamber should be, etc. If you notice my posture I do my best to keep perfect posture at almost every given moment. When I kick and I have to hunch and bend everything to get my leg up, then it is not acceptable. So as time went on, the younger generation grew up on these rules. So with it being standardized it became prettier. But you can't tell people not to grow, that generation would always try to out do each other, by jumping higher, running faster, and doing their routines with a flare that modern life could only provide since they weren't practicing solely for health and survival.

Because of how pretty things got many traditionalists hated it! Too flashy to flowery is what they all say. But no one knew that's what would become of it, but following those guide lines that is what you see now. Today the professionals do nothing more than train these routines all the time like mad! Could you image sprinting for 45 minutes non stop? Or how about 100 different kicks, 100 times? We call it the 100 100s. They become so amazing physically but the sad thing is they can not spend time on application due to the fierceness of competition. The majority of them past Jet Li's generation, 90's up til now can barely fight or even know much of the history where the movement originated. Unless they train separately for fighting which we call sanshou, but of course many movements are omitted since you aren't allowed to kill.

I will give specifics soon. I didn't realize how much I typed. But as funny as it looks, those movements contain even grappling and throws. And when I get good I'll show you my eagle form, it has movements where literally I break legs and tear away throats. Of course eagle guys do wonderfully in routine point competitions because there is no way anyone would let them fight with such vicious movements unless it was on the street.

EDIT:

Stogi that's cool! I never seen myself in mid movement like that.

Oh and in the videos every time I did a cartwheel I was supposed to do it with no hands. I have been able to do it, but I completely lost the skill as I kept hurting my legs due to acting stupid and not warming up properly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:56:05 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
i should film a video of me doing this dishes
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
If BnM and S-U-P-E-R hasn't done it yet I doubt we have the ability for that to work without being a Talkback story.

If I knew how  to do it, I would've put it in the "How To" thread already.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Pretty cool.

A guy used to do this in the park outside my house all the time and occasionally teach students.

My new place just has old people practicing taichi  :'(

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »
Awesome. I really liked the staff, and empty handed kata (Is that the proper term your martial art uses?).

being a wushu guy is nothing but constant criticism. Either the mma, tai kwon do, or karate guys laugh because of how dancy it looks or your teacher is constantly telling you what you did wrong to make it precise as possible.

They can laugh all they want. All Martial arts have traditions that seem silly when viewed from an outsiders perspective.

My Sensei are always correcting us, and I'm sure glad they do. Nothing wrong with that, and I would be willing to bet that their instructors will do the same thing if they have to.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
Awesome. I really liked the staff, and empty handed kata (Is that the proper term your martial art uses?).

being a wushu guy is nothing but constant criticism. Either the mma, tai kwon do, or karate guys laugh because of how dancy it looks or your teacher is constantly telling you what you did wrong to make it precise as possible.

They can laugh all they want. All Martial arts have traditions that seem silly when viewed from an outsiders perspective.

My Sensei are always correcting us, and I'm sure glad they do. Nothing wrong with that, and I would be willing to bet that their instructors will do the same thing if they have to.

You are right getting corrected like we do makes sure the quality is there and we don't look like fools. I appreciate it all. Though just before this test I was on the brink of insanity because I was just waiting for my teacher to tell me at least one good thing I did. Her and her husband hadn't seen me for 3 months as they were both in China taking care of business, while I taught myself and everyone else to ready them for their black belt. Coach Eric gave me praise as well as corrections after it was over, but the evil woman barely said a word. It's never good enough and it drives me insane.

Now I have released my inner demons to you all...

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

... but the evil woman barely said a word. It's never good enough and it drives me insane.
My Mom is that way without realizing it.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
I feel for you Ceric, at least when I got home from training I didn't have to deal with it.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Coach Eric gave me praise as well as corrections after it was over, but the evil woman barely said a word. It's never good enough and it drives me insane.

Hahahahaha. I think that as long as you are having fun, and like to improve yourself then it shouldn't be affecting you this way. Sometimes humans don't understand the nuances/awareness of communication with other humans that well, and I'm thinking that she just might not have a great teaching awareness. Just like Ceric mentioned that his Mom "is that way without realizing it".

Do you train in front of a mirror, or record yourself doing your routines? That might be a way for you to improve because you know your body kinetics better than anyone, so I'm sure you can improve upon that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:43:09 PM by Caliban »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »

Just saw the videos, my dyslexia had me reading the username as MattDongfist. **** you Donald Glover..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

Just saw the videos, my dyslexia had me reading the username as MattDongfist. **** you Donald Glover..

HAHAHAHA!

Oh and "Caterkilik" I like that one!

RomanceDawn

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
You are right getting corrected like we do makes sure the quality is there and we don't look like fools. I appreciate it all. Though just before this test I was on the brink of insanity because I was just waiting for my teacher to tell me at least one good thing I did. Her and her husband hadn't seen me for 3 months as they were both in China taking care of business, while I taught myself and everyone else to ready them for their black belt. Coach Eric gave me praise as well as corrections after it was over, but the evil woman barely said a word. It's never good enough and it drives me insane.

Is she Chinese?  The "no praise thing" is the absolute stereotype of a Chinese master/teacher.
While it is very much a sterotype because that kind of attitude has been going out of style in China for a while it still exists.
My advice is to not ever expect praise because you aren't going to get it.  Start to assume that not getting criticized by her or getting it much less one time is praise because that is the closest you are going to get.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:38:12 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 10:24:04 PM »

Is she Chinese?  The "no praise thing" is the absolute stereotype of a Chinese master/teacher.
While it is very much a sterotype because that kind of attitude has been going out of style in China for a while it still exists.
My advice is to not ever expect praise because you aren't going to get it.  Start to assume that not getting criticized by her or getting it much less one time is praise because that is the closest you are going to get.

The husband is Chinese, she is white, though her martial arts was raised in the Chinese style like you described. What I hate is when certain people like her daughter or that girl who played Pocahontas in that movie The New World(or anyone who was on tv or a movie just once) get all kinds of praise before I even get an ounce of constructive criticism. Aside from flexibility I just want to yell at the top of my lungs "WHAT MADE MINE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THEIRS?!" As a matter of fact most of mine is 10 times better!  I know that is terrible of me to say in such a way but it's true! It wasn't always like that either, I remember when she clearly started to turn into a devil.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:50:09 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
It's probably because Aunt Flow won't be around to visit anymore.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *shakes fist* damn you stogi for making me laugh this way... you didn't hear it all the way out there in space.