Author Topic: Original Darksiders Releasing On Wii U This Year  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Original Darksiders Releasing On Wii U This Year
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »

Slate your action adventure itch before the year is out.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/43073/original-darksiders-releasing-on-wii-u-this-year

The Wii U launched with a Darksiders game, and it will go out with one.

Nordic Games confirmed the legitimacy of retail listings for a Wii U version of the 2010 PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 game, with a release date sometime in the 4th quarter of this year (Oct-Dec), at the Gamepolis event in Spain this weekend. The port will release along remastered releases for the PS4 and Xbox One, and will be both a physical and eShop release.

As with recent Nordic releases such as Book of Unwritten Tales 2 and Legend of Kay Anniversary, the game will release at US$20 or €20.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Original Darksiders Releasing On Wii U This Year
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »
I played Darksiders 2 last year and really liked it. I never really planned on playing the original, but this will be a good excuse to pick it up.
I also hope this means they are planning Darksiders 3.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »
I bought Darksiders 2 at launch and still haven't booted the game up once.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:27:13 PM »
I played Darksiders on the PS3, and I really liked it. A latter dungeon revolving around Portal-like design was a tad too tedious, though.

I enjoyed the sequel slightly less on the Wii U. That version suffered from hard locks to the Wii U, which was irritating.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:22 PM »
It is a fantastic game. As long as it is a decent port, I would highly recommend picking it up.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
This is good, I got the sequel from that Humble Bundle a bit ago, but haven't played it yet. I'll probably keep waiting and get this first.

Oh, also, didn't Legend of Kay Anniversary launch at $24.99, not $20?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »
So this is kind of a multiplatform release where Nintendo is not being excluded, right?  This all ties in with the remaster for the PS4/XB1 so it isn't really like an old port.  All three versions will probably have the same packaging.  It's like a third party was releasing a game on the PS4 and XB1 and thought "hell, let's do a Wii U version too" despite the Wii U's poor sales.  That's what would typically happen if third party support was half-decent.  Nintendo just needs the NX to be in a strong enough position and for porting to be easy enough that third parties will just include it in multiplatform releases, even if it isn't the market leader.

This is so unexpected for the Wii U that I wonder what is going on.  Did they create a port of the first game for the Wii U early in its life and then sat on it when the sequel didn't sell as well as expected only to use the remaster as an excuse to finally give it a release?  Is this some calculated move where they figure the lack of Wii U titles this Christmas would make their title stand out and sell better?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »
So this is kind of a multiplatform release where Nintendo is not being excluded, right?  This all ties in with the remaster for the PS4/XB1 so it isn't really like an old port.  All three versions will probably have the same packaging.  It's like a third party was releasing a game on the PS4 and XB1 and thought "hell, let's do a Wii U version too" despite the Wii U's poor sales.  That's what would typically happen if third party support was half-decent.  Nintendo just needs the NX to be in a strong enough position and for porting to be easy enough that third parties will just include it in multiplatform releases, even if it isn't the market leader.

This is so unexpected for the Wii U that I wonder what is going on.  Did they create a port of the first game for the Wii U early in its life and then sat on it when the sequel didn't sell as well as expected only to use the remaster as an excuse to finally give it a release?  Is this some calculated move where they figure the lack of Wii U titles this Christmas would make their title stand out and sell better?

Well the big selling point of the Darksiders series was that it's an M rated Zelda.  Considering the Wii U has a pretty sizable Zelda fanbase, you'd have to be completely braindead not to release a port of this kind of game on the system.  Especially after E3 and the huge hype Breath of the Wild has going for it.

What better way to take advantage of the Zelda hype train then by giving excited fans a cheaper substitute this holiday while they wait for Spring 2017.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai