Author Topic: Spiderman 3 Wii Exlcusive... Sort Of  (Read 6337 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Spiderman 3 Wii Exlcusive... Sort Of
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »

If you think Spider-Man 3 for Wii is a quick and dirty port of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 game of the same name, you've got it all wrong. What most people don't realize - not even die-hard Nintendo fans - is that software house Vicarious Visions has designed the Wii build totally separately from the others and it is more or less a ground-up project complete with original content, unique controls, and individual mission structures. In short, it's different and it actually has been tailor-made for Wii.

This bodes well for Nintendo especially when you look at how the changes are implemented.

Original Content:

But whereas the other titles set you on a somewhat linear story path and only enable you to wear the black suit during certain missions, you can go dark at any point in the Wii version of the title. There will, however, be consequences, which we'll get to below. In addition to the primary story arch, the Wii game boasts three additional tales with more enemies. In one, you'll fight against Morbius and in another you'll come face-to-face with Shriek. Oh, and the Lizard is waiting to eat Spidey for lunch, too.

Unique Controls:

To send a web bursting from Spidey's left hand, you hold down the Z button and gesture in the general direction you want to swing with the nunchuk. To release his grip on the web, you simply depress the B button. The same action is performed with the Wii remote to control Spidey's right-handed webbing. It's an ambitious undertaking because to glide acrobatically through the city in true superhero fashion, you will have to learn to swing and release with careful precision. What this technique affords you over the other versions, though, is much more flexible control. There are no pointer-based actions in the swing process - the accelerometers measure your gestures and accurately translate them to the screen, whether you're executing over-the-top motions or simple wrist-flicks. Flick forward with the nunchuk and Spidey will shoot his webbing forward. Flick all the way to the right and you can send the superhero swinging at a near-90-degree angle. You can also dual-swing by motioning with both controllers, which is not possible in any other iteration. People assume Wii controls will be easily accessible and in our experience the opposite is true in Spider-Man 3. We picked up the dual-control configuration in about a minute, but we saw others fumbling with it for a great deal longer. Many forgot completely that they could dual-swing and still control Spider-Man with the analog stick as he soared between skyscrapers. Once you finally do get the hang of it, though, you will find it to be a very rewarding and highly accurate component, especially after you master swing boosts and web zips.

Individual Mission Structures:
*Note: This was kind of touched on in the quote I used for Original Content, in the part about a less linear game than it's "Next-Gen" couterparts, but I also found this part interesting*

The dichotomy between red and black Spider-Man suits plays an integral role in the Wii build of the game. As we stated, you can don the stealthy black suit at any point by pressing the D-Pad, but you have to be wary of it, too, because it effectively acts like a drug on you. It offers immediate enhancements to strength and agility, all of which are represented graphically in the game. The black suit Spidey is just plain meaner and more confident in the way he moves and fights. For instance, after leaping from a building, he will cause the pavement to crack as he lands heavily on the ground. But these immediate enhancements come at a price, which is that Spidey risks going into full-blown rage mode and blacking out entirely, at which point you'll have to restart from your previous checkpoint. The rage is represented on-screen by black tentacles from the symbiote suit. The longer you stay in rage mode, the bigger your suit's presence on-screen becomes, literally narrowing your gap of vision. The only way to escape the suit's grip is to switch back to the red suit with the D-Pad, at which point a mini-sequence that challenges you to perform a series of Wii-mote gestures is executed. The longer you wait, though, the more challenging the sequence becomes.

IGN also states in the article that the graphics lacked polish and that the camera needed work. However, they also mentioned that in a recent chat with Vicarious Visions, VV said that they have spent ample time polishing both since IGN played the game.

I would also like to note that this show on G4 called Attack of the Show had an exclusive preview of Spiderman 3, in which they brought in the game and played it for us the viewers to see how it was shaping up. I'm not sure which system they were playing, (definitely not the Wii because although I could see the controller he was holding it in the "standard" way) but it was also very unpolished. A lot of the action was jerky, you could see some graphical flaws and also animation hiccups, but they were quick to point out that it's an early build and there will still be a lot of work done to the game. So on no system has the game been completely refined.

If Spiderman 3 for the Wii can fully deliver on it's potential, It will be the first movie-game I can remember (I think I may have bought the Die Hard game, but I also may have just borrowed it, it was so long ago).

Even if it doesn't turn out to be spectacular, just the fact that Vicarious Visions has implemented so many extras into the Wii version pleases me greatly. There's something that I read about a long time ago that adds some seperation between the PS3 and Xbox360 versions but I can't remember what it is, and I can't find it either. In an earlier interview Executive Producer Chris Archer stated that the PS2, PSP, and Wii versions would have 2 extra missions, so I'm not really sure what that means with this more current one saying that there are 3 unique missions for the Wii.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Spiderman 3 Wii Exlcusive... Sort Of
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:39:27 AM »
That's actually GREAT news!

A multiplatform game that isn't a port from PS2, and that has its own ground-up unique build and unique controls? Wii = definitive version?!?!?!

SCORE! Now they've got me wondering whether I want to buy this game... lol.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Spiderman 3 Wii Exlcusive... Sort Of
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »
Impressive!

I really like how they actually focused on the Wii version of the game rather than just updating the PS2 port.

Could this be the start of more polished third party Wii games? We have the Godfather whose polished controls made the game better, then it looks like Radical is putting a lot of effort into the Wii version of Scarface and now the Wii version of Spider-man is actually an unique version of the multi console release.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
But how do I shot web?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
Yeah. It's from Vicarious Visions. They are basically the only Western developer that has supported the DS strongly (and with good games) since the beginning. Tony Hawk Sk8land was made by them, and so was Spider-man on DS. It's a shame that they get stuck with stuff like Over the Hedge - I'd like to see them do something new.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:16:15 PM »
The horror that was Terminus.

Never forget.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 03:33:22 PM »
Looks pretty crappy if you ask me. It should look at LEAST as good as Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 for Xbox, and it doesn't.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
Looks pretty crappy if you ask me. It should look at LEAST as good as Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2 for Xbox, and it doesn't.

Just so people can see what Brandogg is talking about:

Spider-man 2 (Xbox):

Spider-man 3 (Wii):

As one can tell right away, the Xbox game looks vastly supe... wait a minute, no it doesn't. In fact, the Wii version looks much, much better.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »
Some people are calling the Wii screens photoshopped, like the Red Steel screens.

The highlights on Spiderman look highly dubious. And that car in the background looks funky.

I'm not passing judgement on the game. I'm just going to hold till the reviews of the retail product are out.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 04:38:37 PM »
Penny Arcade rightly dubbed the term "bullshot".

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »
Spiderman Flight Simulator 98
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:35:31 AM »
I did mention in my opening that the graphics for all 3 systems are still being worked on. There is still about a week or so (different studio's do different things) before they start actually producing the game. When we start getting screenshots from IGN that they took themselves and not sent over one then the true graphics can be seen.

Beyond the graphics though, this marks another occasion that a game studio has decided to make a team specifically for a Wii game. In the case of EA it's for all Wii games, in the case of Vicarious Visions it has only been a couple of games.

The question still begs to be asked if these studios are still using there B or even C teams, but they should wise up eventually if and only if sales of games specifically created apart from their "Next-Gen" (as opposed to Nintendo's claimed New-Gen) counterparts sell better or as well as said counterparts.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »
Good news.  This type of thing is going to be happening a lot in the future, and it's nice to see that there's enough faith in Wii at this point to put the resources into an all-new game instead of trying to downscale another version or just skip Wii altogether.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »
I'm all for Unique better games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 09:16:34 AM »
Hmmm, this game doesn't look half-bad. I think the graphics look pretty nice considering how huge they're making the city, and this game being built ground up for the Wii gives me hope for good controls. The Spider-Man games have been a guilty pleasure of mine for a while now (only licensed game franchise I can give my money to in good conscience), so this actually has me excited...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »
While Spider-Man himself, and the fire looks good in a couple of the (doctored) screens, everything else looks like pure crap.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 03:47:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
While Spider-Man himself, and the fire looks good in a couple of the (doctored) screens, everything else looks like pure crap.

Eh, welcome to the sandbox.  People have been saying the same thing about Grand Theft Auto for years.  The only way you're going to get "good" graphics in a game of this scale is to buy a 360/PS3.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:27 AM »
That is true.  In general you trade graphics for messability.  The more you can interact with the environment and randomize it the extra data has to eat out of someones pie and that be graphics.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 03:48:06 AM »
Its looking good.  Though I wish the black suit transition was less *poof*.

Also on a sidenote I like how high he has the TV for stand up wii games thats part of the reason I want an adjustable entertainment center.

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »
I'm kind of just.....meh on the video. I like the game and it looks fun, but the controls that the guy was doing didn't exactly match up with what was going on in the game. Like they took him playing, then they took footage of the game separately and combined them. Some of the moves did match, but others were just odd.

And the voiceover.........

Offline Donutt007

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 08:31:54 AM »
Oh and on a sidenote, if anyone wants to join Spidey's web let me know, I still have some invites left. Just PM me and I'll send you one.

It a web community wear you can win prizes and stuff. neat site.