Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on Radio Free Nintendo?

Battalion Wars
10 (10.5%)
Baten Kaitos: Origins
16 (16.8%)
Killer 7
38 (40%)
Wario World
8 (8.4%)
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
23 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: August 04, 2011, 09:49:08 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #19 Poll - GameCube 10th Anniversary Edition  (Read 43373 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #19 Poll - GameCube 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
Good to see that you picked some of the more obscure Gamecube titles. Before I go on, I'd like to issue a public health warning: if you voted for Killer 7 having not played it before, remove the vote, then wash your hands thoroughly. I played it briefly on a friend's PS2, and it is total dreck. Those who voted for it having already played it, we may have already lost you. You have been warned, forums. (Now I'm worried Karl will edit this post out of spite.)

I'll vote for Star Wars: Rogue Leader because I never had a chance to try it - does it still live up to everyone's fond memories? I think Battalion Wars would also be an interesting discussion, but based on the comments so far, it has no resonance with people.

And for the record, TYP, if Billy Hatcher were on the poll, that would get my vote. It is a curious title with a bizarro twist on platforming that everyone owes to themselves to play.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »
I played the demo of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg that was included on the Nintendo GameCube Preview Disc and I didn't like the controls. It's what caused me to not buy the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 05:52:02 AM »
I can't wait for the Games that are Probably Better in the Past Retroactive Edition, and we can fill it up with such gems as

Spyro Wii
Crash Bandicoot on GCN

and so on...

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »
I'm a big proponent for Baten Kaitos: Origins. It had the extreme misfortune of coming out after the Wii launched. I'm not sure the game holds the same value if you haven't played its predecessor, but it is fantastic. The decision to limit the cast to three characters, something that RPGs haven't done in a while, does allow them to focus on just those characters without any waste like providing us the backstory of Ghibari.

Who cares!? He fights giant skyfish with an oar and is sporting a Vanilla Ice haircut.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
I vote for Killer 7 because that game is so weird that it will inevitably result in an interesting discussion.

same here, It's a really polarizing game. Personally I love it but even if they hate it that retroactive will still be very entertaining to listen to.

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
I don't have a Gamecube so unfortunately I won't be able to actively participate in this like I did with Perfect Dark (probably a relief for some considering my essays in that Retroactive thread). I would've loved to play Baten Kaitos Origins back when it came out, but unfortunately it never made it to Europe. That was a real shame, since I thought the first game was enjoyable, if a bit marred by the horrendous voice acting.

I never completed Killer 7, always wanted to though, I thought it was a really good game so I might vote for it anyway. Story is batshit insane, but that's part of the charm. I was disappointed with No More Heroes and think this is far superior gameplay-wise. Despite the crude controls I actually think it plays well and the levels are well-designed. Plus the music - who can forget Rave On?! The concept of running through a completely empty room with that music going was a fantastic way to get pumped for the boss battles.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Rogue Leader's the only game on the list that I played, and while it's a good flight game I can't think it'd be as fun to discuss as Killer 7. As a fan of good gameplay and lucid stories I already know I won't get past the first hour, but I'm curious enough to hear others' thoughts that I'll vote for it.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
Rogue Leader will win. I predict talk about this game will not get much more than "Wow, this game is still awesome. It looks better than most Wii games."

I find your lack of faith in our ability to generate a good discussion disturbing...

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NJha01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
I choose batallion wars just for Karl....

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Prove me wrong, Leahy! Prove me wrong! (srsly, do it.)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
I choose batallion wars just for Karl....
Wrong Battalion Wars, I'm afraid. I didn't (not) review the GameCube iteration.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
Prove me wrong, Leahy! Prove me wrong! (srsly, do it.)

I already have--clearly, I'll be far too busy spouting random quotes from the movies to be trotting out tired old lines about how much better Rogue Leader looks than most Wii games.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
I take back what I said: if Greg will spend the entire discussion spouting random Star Wars quotes and references, this will be the best RetroActive ever.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 05:33:32 PM »
You know, I might just change my vote to Rogue Leader to hear Greg spout Star Wars quotes incessantly...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »
I take back what I said: if Greg will spend the entire discussion spouting random Star Wars quotes and references, this will be the best RetroActive ever.

I will ruin this by quoting Anakin circa Episode I the entire time.

Try me.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »
While I wouldn't like Rogue Leader to win because I don't think there's much interesting discussion to be had there beyond just throwing Star Wars quotes around, I can at least understand why people would pick that game.  It's a good game.  But for all you guys voting Killer 7, I just see that discussion going like the Ninja Spirit one did: people voted for the game, and then no one talked about it or played it because the game was just not worth playing.  You already know the game is terrible, so do you really need 1-2 hours of people repeatedly stating that?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
I don't think Killer7 is TERRIBLE, but Goichi Suda really needed someone to come in and make his gameplay for him. And now he has that.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
While I wouldn't like Rogue Leader to win because I don't think there's much interesting discussion to be had there beyond just throwing Star Wars quotes around, I can at least understand why people would pick that game.  It's a good game.  But for all you guys voting Killer 7, I just see that discussion going like the Ninja Spirit one did: people voted for the game, and then no one talked about it or played it because the game was just not worth playing.  You already know the game is terrible, so do you really need 1-2 hours of people repeatedly stating that?

I actually think Killer 7 is a great game

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »

I actually think Killer 7 is a great game

It takes all kinds...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
*sniff* No Billy Hatcher? I guess there just wasn't support amongst the RFN staff for this overlooked platformer.... I think any of these (barring Wario World--sorry Greg) would make for interesting discussion.

Billy Hatcher was quite good, although in places the frame rate was a little bad. It was built on the Sonic Adventure engine.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
I've rented both Battalion Wars games and didn't find either all that interesting.  Star Wars was a fun game, but I have no real desire to play it again.  I am kinda interested in Wario.  I love the character and I love Treasure, but I rented the game back in the day and wasn't too impressed.

I think Killer 7 is a great game.  And I think there's a lot to talk about.  But I'm going to vote for Baten Kaitos: Origins.  I loved the first game and always meant to get around to buying and playing Origins.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
When I first started thinking about this RetroActive, one of the main reasons for doing it was Billy Hatcher and TYP's frequent recommendations for it. Then it got overlooked, even in the poll. Sorry! We will at least include it as a nominee one of these days.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
If Baten Kaitos wins, I will give up on all of you, and suggest an Inevitable RetroActive Rule: if an RPG is present on a RetroActive poll, it will undoubtedly win, no matter its calibur.

Star Wars, goddamnit. It looks better than most Wii games. Also, it's STAR WARS.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
There's always a bigger fish...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:12 PM »
Rogue Leader gets my vote as well.  I miss Factor 5!

I've always loved any type of space combat simulation...it's a game type that hasn't been discussed in a Retroactive and, for the most part, is largely absent (or at least under-represented) in modern gaming.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost