Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #16 Discussion - Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lo(u)rdly Caliber(re)  (Read 38797 times)

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
So I was just checking out Amazon to see what this game is going for.  And then I noticed a little note at the top telling me I've already purchased the game June 13th, 2003.  So I've only had the game for almost 8 years before I put some meaningful time into it.  :p 

I also noticed that this game came out in late 2000.  A year before the GameCube came out.  And reading IGN's review saying the n64 has finally gotten its' true RPG is kinda sad the genre was so neglected on the system. 

Also I just had a funny engagement I thought I would share.  So I was tracking down some enemy unit.  I recently got a golem so my unit had him, a doll master, a cleric and a hawk guy.  Anyway the unit I chasing had to camp so I took them on while they were asleep.  The hawk guy hits a witch and takes her health down.  She then wakes up only to see a jester doll right in her face.  Boom.  Dead.  I lol'd.  I was just imagining a character running for their life until they couldn't stay awake anymore only to wake up to a jester doll right in front of them.  Then they die.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:57:49 PM by gojira »

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
I had my first game over since my first playthrough. :( Apparently, I missed a unit in Celesis, because just as I was about to march on the castle and beat the stage I get a message that my HQ had fallen.  This means I had to restart that level for the second time, since the first time around I blew all my Love and Peaces in an unsuccessful bid to get an Angel Knight; apparently, I have just as much luck with virtual girls as I do with the real deal!

In other news, my army is now nothing but master class units, including the Dragoon and the awesome Lich.  I've always been leery of leaving a magic user exposed, since they drop like flies when a melee unit so much as looks at them, but I've changed it up a bit this game and now have two units that can use combo magic.  I'd forgotten how potent that stuff can be: combine fire and lightning to get a strong attack which usually paralyzes the enemy.  When it's two sirens using that spell, you hit all the enemies, and paralyze between 2-4 of them.  So awesome.  So cheap.  But not as cheap as a Lich with Drakonite magic...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
I made a zombie! Is he going to be useful?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile

Nope.  And he'll become even less useful I believe if he's ever hit with a flame attack, which will turn him into a Ghost that has a pretty useless attack IIRC.  The ONLY good class to come of a character dying is the Angel Knight.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile

Depends on how you use him.  Zombies lack the attack or defense power of whatever poor soul got bumped off to create it, but they make up for it in meat-shield potential. Unlike most units, most of the undead (zombies, skeletons, ghosts) automatically regenerate with full health at the end of any battle in which they "die."   The only ways permanently kill off a zombie/skeleton/ghost is to either have the finishing blow come from a holy weapon (which enemies rarely use outside of Chapter 3), or to have ALL the units die at the end of the battle.  So as long as someone still has a toehold on life, your zombie should regenerate.  Of course, the same is true of enemy zombies.

But if you're going to use this strategy, try to have your zombie get hit with a fire attack.  This transforms it into a more powerful Skeleton, which has the same regeneration, health, and defense as a zombie, but can now actually do damage by equipping hammers and axes.  Just don't undeadify too many of your units, because the living tend to hit harder, especially as the game progresses.

Also, how'd you get your zombie?

Offline noname2200

• View Profile

Nope.  And he'll become even less useful I believe if he's ever hit with a flame attack, which will turn him into a Ghost that has a pretty useless attack IIRC.  The ONLY good class to come of a character dying is the Angel Knight.

Nah, zombies become skeletons with fire.  Hit a skeleton with a combination fire/wind attack to get the (useless) ghost, just like you'd turn a Stone Golem into a Baldr Golem.  But I only remember two enemy formations that use that combo, and one was in the secret final level...

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
I missed Sheen.

I MISSED SHEEN!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I'm probably 3 hoursish in and am so far finding this game...boring. It starts slow so I'll keep at it, but nothing about it so far has 'compelled' me to keep playing. I think I just prefer games more like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
The only way I would want a zombie in my party is if he could infect the opposiong army's soldiers into zombies. Also, I bought this game about a year ago thinking that it was like Tactics Ogre and I was dissapointed at the results. I find this game hard to get into, but the visuals are just beutiful.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
I had a character turn into a zombie and recruited a skeleton.  But I lost both due to holy attacks. :(

I cannot state enough just how much I hate cockatrices.  They are so freaken overpowered.  The chances of getting petrified seems to be like 75%. 

I'm also annoyed with the alignment system right now.  I have a handful of characters that can be promoted if their alignment was only a few notches over. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:03:29 AM by gojira »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
The art style alone for his game makes it a must have for any nostalgic gamer. I would love to see a traditional RPG that uses the same art styles as this game. Although I prefer that Tactics Ogre games, I see this game as specieal because I like the colorful sprites and art style.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
The people saying this game looks good must be playing on VC.  It's not so pretty on my n64 hooked up to my plasma with composite cables.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
The people saying this game looks good must be playing on VC.  It's not so pretty on my n64 hooked up to my plasma with composite cables.

I'd be surprised if anything hooked up to a plasma TV via composite cables looks good, much less an N64 game running in 320x240. I'm sure the upscaling to 480p on Virtual Console along with the use of component video makes a very appreciable difference.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

I'd be surprised if anything hooked up to a plasma TV via composite cables looks good, much less an N64 game running in 320x240. I'm sure the upscaling to 480p on Virtual Console along with the use of component video makes a very appreciable difference.

My TV is an old RCA from 1994, so I am sure I would get a better resolution from my Wii if I had a better TV.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I cannot state enough just how much I hate cockatrices.  They are so freaken overpowered.  The chances of getting petrified seems to be like 75%.

*nods solemnly*

I'm also annoyed with the alignment system right now.  I have a handful of characters that can be promoted if their alignment was only a few notches over. 

URN OF CHAOS

Who the hell would make an item called "The Urn of Chaos," specifically designed to make someone more murderous? It seems like a pretty terrible decision.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline gojira

• View Profile

*nods solemnly*

URN OF CHAOS

Who the hell would make an item called "The Urn of Chaos," specifically designed to make someone more murderous? It seems like a pretty terrible decision.

That item might be useful if it moved alignment more than one tiny notch.  They let you buy the equipment required to promote, it'd be easier if they did the same with alignment.  Money doesn't seem to be an issue in the game, so let me spend it on changing my characters alignment.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
That item might be useful if it moved alignment more than one tiny notch.  They let you buy the equipment required to promote, it'd be easier if they did the same with alignment.  Money doesn't seem to be an issue in the game, so let me spend it on changing my characters alignment.

Something I did that was rather effective (and I've mentioned this before) is that I captured negatively-aligned creatures like Hellhounds (or whatever the first form of the Cerberus is called), Gremlins, and whatnot.  When I needed a character to lose alignment, I'd take them out of their unit, throw them in a unit with those creatures, and then I'd have them go into a few random encounters with creatures while wandering the world maps.  At the end of every battle, the game will raise the alignment of the negatively-aligned creatures and lower the alignment of the good-aligned character to try to balance out the unit.  Presto, you now have a significantly lower-aligned character.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  The only thing you lose is a little unit morale from your character being out of his unit for a while, but you can get that back with a few battles.  You just won't see combination magic as often for a while.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Just listened to the podcast, and I'm honestly a bit surprised that only Jonny was all the frustrated with the game.  Although the complaints are all valid.  The funny thing about the game being slow is that its predecessor on the SNES was actually pretty fast, especially when you got flying units (which, unlike in this game, let you take to the skies even if you had non-fliers in that unit.  This game's restriction there caught me by surprise the first time: it makes hawkmen and griffons much less necessary). 

Unlike Jonny, I like the fact that battles end, since it lets me use items and adjust my formation to compensate for the pounding I just took, although it can also lead to long chases if you're trying to completely wipe out a unit.  I am glad, though, that fleeing units are slower than normal, although this also means that you'd never set your own units to automatically flee.

I would like to point out though that you CAN recruit Vad without ever fighting him: just don't send any unit east (at all) until you've seized the northern town and thus blown the bridge.  He'll sit still in one city for the rest of the fight, and join you after the battle.  Also, the Chaos Frame actually affects more than just the five Zenobians, most importantly the God-like Ankiseth and the Pretty Good Biske (sounds like something off a BBQ menu...), but admittedly not knowing about the system won't cripple you: alignment and promotions are much more important.  Although the special characters tend to be pretty freaking awesome...

As a sidenote, I love how Destin's far more of a character here than he was in his own game.

Yup.  But just wait until you get a bit into Chapter 4, and encounter the worst enemy in the game, the Gorgon.  If one is in the front row, every unit that is not behind another unit will get petrified unless it 1) has the (unique) Hallowed Shield (thanks Troi!), or 2) is a Golem.  So cheap....

If you need an anti-cockatrice strategy, have a unit that has the Hallowed Shield equipped, and stick a Golem in there if feasible (they're not only immune, but they get strengthened when "petrified").  If you're not into Golems, take advantage of the cockatrices always being in a corner by shifting your formation so that three characters are on the opposite column as the cockatrice, with one unit in the front row and one in the back (so only one unit is vulnerable to the attack). Equip the vulnerable unit with the Hallowed Shield, if possible, and you'll be home free.

If you're fighting TWO cockatrices, space out your troops: one in each of the corners, and one in the very center.  This way, only two units at most are vulnerable, and you can not lose more than one unit in one attack.  If you can, equip the Hallowed Shield on someone who is in the BACK of his/her column, to take advantage of its status immunity.

Finally, do what you can to avoid having the cockatrice in the rear.  If you fight a unit that has a cockatrice in the front, change your strategy and formation to take it out before you eliminate the leader, since that shifts it to the rear when the units is retreating.  If it's already in the rear row, take advantage of its slow speed by shifting troops to focus on the leader, taking out the leader, and then retreating as soon as the leader is dead.  That way, the enemy will retreat, which moves the cockatrice to the front...

Follow these tips, and you're unlikely to lose more than one or two units to cockatrice petrification during the entire game.  The other petrifier is a different story...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:26:58 PM by noname2200 »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
After getting my first zombie (who does seem useful due to the regeneration, at least more than soldiers), my next battle ended with getting four more zombies. Some of these are characters who I'd prefer to have alive... is there any method for changing them back? I had some units on the Witch's Den and simply forgot to revive the dead guys before the battle ended. At least I know that skeletons can be more useful.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
After getting my first zombie (who does seem useful due to the regeneration, at least more than soldiers), my next battle ended with getting four more zombies. Some of these are characters who I'd prefer to have alive... is there any method for changing them back? I had some units on the Witch's Den and simply forgot to revive the dead guys before the battle ended. At least I know that skeletons can be more useful.

Nope.  Once a character turns into a zombie, they're undead for the rest of their un-life.  The only way to get them back is to reload your save and try the stage again.  That's why I never complete a map unless I'm sure all my characters are alive.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
I'm now onto chapter 4.  My characters are kinda falling into place.  Take a lawful character from this unit, promote it and switch with another unit.  Most of my characters are promoted and I think I only have a couple of soldiers left in units.  Kinda like with most SRPGs, I seem to be spending a lot of battles trying to get my lower level units exp.  But it's totally worth it when you get the promotions.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Beat Fort Romulus, got myself a Seraphim, and recruited meself a princess.  The Seraphim is the upgraded Angel Knight.  In the back row, she gets two hit-all holy attacks, kind of like the Elder Dragons, but she only takes up one slot: very nice, and definitely worth all the hassle involved in getting an Angel Knight.

The Princess is as awesome as James alluded to in the podcast.  She's essentially a lawful-oriented Siren who only gets one attack instead of two, but most importantly if you make her the unit leader she gives EVERY other member of her unit an extra attack, including herself.  So if your Lich attacks three times, it now goes four times.  Your Priests now heal three times instead of two.  Etc.  It's easy to see why she's so valuable, and also why you have to go through a massive hassle to get her.  She also highlights some of the differences with the SNES game, in that while both games had Princesses available, the first game had the enemies do random drops, so you might get a Princess as early as the second level, and could theoretically have as many as nine of them on the field at once (my record was four.  My army was invincible!).  I'm glad this game decided to go with set drops instead, since it helps to balance out the difficulty better than in the original.

Finally, Fort Romulus introduces a new, and somewhat needed, twist to the gameplay.  It's essentially like the normal battle maps, but there are very few strongholds, you can not see behind walls (unless you fly over them...), there are no shops or witch dens, and there is a time limit.  I appreciate what the developers were trying to do with this, but the limited number of fortress battles, combined with how easy most of the fights there are, somewhat defeats the purpose... Although in more Ankiseth Kicks Ass News, he once again took the full brunt of the boss' special attack (essentially, he uses a Pedra against you: very painful) and still survived.  Good times!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I forgot about the fortresses. They're yet another place where a flying unit can be a godsend. Woosh: Right over the walls!

I remember the first time I played one being beside myself that I didn't have access to a witches' den.

I know they don't do this in all the forts, but in at least one the defenders will sally forth to meet you in the field outside. This helps in that you know what you have to kill, but it serves as a huge time waste.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline noname2200

• View Profile

I know they don't do this in all the forts, but in at least one the defenders will sally forth to meet you in the field outside. This helps in that you know what you have to kill, but it serves as a huge time waste.

That's in the second fortress fight.  It's a good thing that the time limit is so generous, because that battle is surprisingly lengthy, especially compared to how vanilla the "Impregnable" Fort Romulus is.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Strangely, I have a flying unit even without Sheen.

Shockingly, it's pretty much a hunter-killer unit.
  • 1 Seraph (unit leader)
  • 3 Vultans
  • 1 Raven
They're very effective in one to one combat, even when they're not being used to get behind the enemy. When retaking Leia's home her unit circumvented two legions and struck the commander directly. The next time I needed them was in rapid response to an enemy unit that got behind the cordon, and had a clean shot at the base. They caught him just in time and managed to repel the attack.

This is actually the first time I've had a flying unit that isn't kind of garbage. They're SO USEFUL during a siege. Granted, units spawn during sieges, so you can still get ambushed, but it does help. In the end, I still had to puncture the walls to get to the boss, but they did help clear the route ahead of the siege units.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report