Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 195338 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 03:17:54 AM »
Another nomination sparked by forum conversation. Wario World for the Gamecube. I don't think a lot of people played it to my understanding and it was overlooked by the Nintendo community. I never played it because I wanted it to be a co-op game with both Wario & Waluigi as playable characters.

It is another Treasure game and it would be interesting to go back and try it out now.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »
I already mentioned this in the Super Punch-Out!! talkback thread but it was at the end and I'm not sure if anyone saw it.

Assuming Super Punch-Out!! really launches this Monday I think we should push back the planned Secret of Mana RetroActive and hold an emergency Super Punch-Out!! RetroActive immediately.  The game will definitely have the support to win in a regular vote, but if we wait until the next round of voting chances are quite a few of us will have already downloaded and played it, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:38 AM »
The problem is that this weeks podcast will not have the RetroActive segment. This is a break week.
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
It's been a while since we had much action in this thread.  While I will continue to mine the recommendations that have already been posted, more ideas are always welcome.

For the next few polls, I plan to focus on one console at a time so that there is no perceived or actual bias towards more popular and/or more recent systems.  I will probably start with NES, since it's the oldest system with a good library on VC (C64 and Master System selection is pretty thin so far).  We'll skip SNES for a while since we had back to back games for that one.  I'm interested in getting into some pretty obscure but good and interesting games from these old systems.

As always, recommending a small number of games and explaining why each one is appropriate would be preferable to giving a long list of game titles only.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
River City Ranssom. Excellent beat em' up that is best enjoyed with a friend. Who didn't enjoying beating up the gangs, buying a smile, and seeing "BARF!" when punching someone?

Super Mario Bros. 2- The blacksheep of the Mario family. One of the best NES games in my opinion. I never beat the NES original, but I did beat the GBA re-make.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
I'd like to nominate Kid Icarus, but at the same time a little bit wary that you guys will **** all over it. I never played it back on the day and only picked it up on the VC when it came out, and it instantly became one of my favourite games ever. Great atmosphere, the first level is some of my favourite game music ever, and although some elements of it feels archaic at times, and the Eggplant Wizards had me cursing like Gordon Ramsey, I think it's great. Both the platforming and the RPG elements are balanced just right so that after the extremely difficult first few levels (was it on purpose to make the most of that great song?) there is a tangible sense of satisfaction as your abilities increase and the game becomes easier.

Another good NES game that isn't exactly obscure is Zelda 2. Mixed opinions on this one, I like it but have never finished it. Difficult game, can get frustrating, but when it's good it's definitely good. Plus prostitutes giving you health? The precursor of a hallmark of the 3D Zeldas - scantily clad great fairy jagged behemoth babes are waiting for you on your N64!

Finally, StarTropics. I'm still playing this one as with Zelda 2. Quite tough! Uh anyway I understand a lot of people have affection for this game, in fact was it one that has been talked about already on RFN? Hmm. Anyway I think it's OK so far and would be happy to try and get back into it with an excuse.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
For the next few polls, I plan to focus on one console at a time so that there is no perceived or actual bias towards more popular and/or more recent systems.

The N64 poll is going to be pretty barren considering there are only 15 games on the VC.  :)  Then again, maybe it will give me the push necessary to play Sin & Punishment (I downloaded it the day it came out and haven't played it for more than 15 minutes).

My nominees for NES games are as follows.

The Legend of Zelda - Everyone has played the more recent LoZ games, but lots of people haven't played the original.  I haven't played it in years and I was never able to beat it when I was a kid.  It could yield a lot of good discussion about the evolution of the series (not that it hasn't been discussed to death on the Internet already).  It's one of the more meaty NES games and certainly playable today even if you don't have any prior history with it.  I think it would fantastic if we got a bunch of people to play through this together and we all agreed to avoid GameFAQS and instead swap strategies/information with each other on here.  It would be like the elementary school playground all over again!  ;D

Castlevania III - The game is fan-freaking-tastistic, although having just played Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts this might not be the best choice.  ;)

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa - I know Jonny's already played this game, but something about as weird/unique at this deserves a wider audience.  Most people haven't played it so we could experience a new game together.  <3

Ghosts 'n Goblins - Just kidding.

Any of the Mega Man games are fine choices, too.

I honestly didn't like River City Ransom.  I never played it as a kid, and when I played it on VC a couple years ago it just didn't grab me.  The combat was repetitive, the power-ups you could buy didn't tell you what they did and I quickly got bored.  Then again, I was playing solo, which is definitely NOT the way to play the game.  I'd be willing to give it another shot if it wins.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
I never played RCR back in the day but when it came out on VC a friend got it and I played through most of it with him. I had a blast, I do think having a buddy to play along makes or breaks this game.

I second River City Ransom!
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
I have a few NES games in mind which I would nominate, but if we're going by only what's available on the Virtual Console then can somebody give me a list of what's currently on the VC?

Of the ones already mentioned, I'd get behind:

Super Mario Brothers 2
I think it is kind of funny how people say this isn't a "real" Mario game, especially since both games were designed by the same person. How much more real can you get?

The Legend of Zelda
One of my proudest moments in gaming was completing the second quest before the age of the Internet. I doubt I could handle this game today though... but there's only one way to find out!

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
People hate on this game only because it is different, but this at least proves that Nintendo fanbois/fangurls have always complained whenever Nintendo tries something different with an established series.   :D

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »
The N64 poll is going to be pretty barren considering there are only 15 games on the VC.  :) 

I am more willing to include non-VC games for more recent platforms, as people are more likely to have access to those systems and games.  For instance, I really want to have a GBA poll, whereas an original GB poll would be more difficult to coordinate.  N64 is really straddling the line; I myself would have to dig out my system from back home or else buy a used system and whatever game won the vote.  It gets to be an expensive or at least highly inconvenient proposition, especially for the four of us who are sort of required to play every RetroActive game.  Virtual Console smooths over these problems very well, so maybe we'll save N64 until the selection improves.  ;-)  Plus, there are some great third-party choices that I would love to include in that poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »
I have a few NES games in mind which I would nominate, but if we're going by only what's available on the Virtual Console then can somebody give me a list of what's currently on the VC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_(North_America)#Nintendo_Entertainment_System

There's no rule that it has to be available on VC, but for practicality's sake, it's easier for most of us.  :)

N64 is really straddling the line; I myself would have to dig out my system from back home or else buy a used system and whatever game won the vote.  It gets to be an expensive or at least highly inconvenient proposition, especially for the four of us who are sort of required to play every RetroActive game.  Virtual Console smooths over these problems very well, so maybe we'll save N64 until the selection improves.

Paper Mario vs. Sin & Punishment.  What else do you need?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:43:09 PM by vudu »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
Thanks Vudu. :)

Looking over that list, it leaves many games I'd want to nominate, but I'm going to limit my suggestion to one two games.

Kirby's Adventure
As a late release in the NES system's market life, this little gem of a platformer saw little sales and little recognition. Also as a late release, it has incredible graphics and sound for the 8-bit wonder, and as a result the game is just bursting with personality. Though on the easy side - which is perfectly fine for me but may induce boredom in some - it has some creative level designs and lots of variety due to the various abilities which can be copied from enemies. It's the perfect sendoff for the NES and the first Kirby game to appear in colour, and it should not be missed.

Wario's Woods
Secondary characters collide in Wario's Woods. Though it could be passed off as just another Tetris clone by the cynical amongst us, I'd argue that it's more of an evolution of the block-busting puzzler. Playing the role of Toad, the lovable little mushroom man, your job is to clear the screen of the coloured monsters by lining up two or more with a bomb of the same colour. Since you're in control of a character instead of a falling object, the game feels more involving than other puzzle games. As the last licensed release on the NES and the only one to receive a rating by the ESRB, few have played this excellent puzzle game. Plus it stars Toad, so you know it's awesome.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:53:39 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »
Kirby's Adventure is really good.  I played it when it first came out on VC and was blown away that it was running on (emulated) NES hardware.

I'm still waiting for the superior SNES version of Wario's Woods.  ;)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »
I'm still waiting for the superior SNES version of Wario's Woods.  ;)
Yeah I'm kind of surprised they released the NES version on the VC, though I think it is arguable which one is superior. The NES version has the boss battles mode that the SNES version lacks, so if you prefer that mode over the vs. computer matches then the NES version would be better for you. They also have different music.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:56:29 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Paper Mario vs. Sin & Punishment.  What else do you need?

I know when we get to the N64 I will be nominating Paper Mario. One of my favorite N64 games and I loved playing through it again on the VC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »
I would want to nominate Kirby 64 for the N64 one.

Jonny, for the more obscure systems/systems with few games are you going to combine them for those polls, like C64 and SMS or Neo Geo and VC Arcade?

We should do an all VC Arcade poll once a few more games come out on the service.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Will games that have been in previous polls but lost be eligible for nomination? For example, when we get to TurboGrafx-16 games can Cho Aniki be nominated again even though it lost 2 polls?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 01:15:57 AM »
I'll certainly consider it, TJ.  Nothing is off-limits.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »
I'll nominate Wrecking Crew for NES.  It looks like a very interesting puzzle/platformer where you play as Mario.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »
The NES poll is now up, although you may always continue suggesting more NES games for future polls.

The next console-specific poll will be for TurboGrafx-16 (including CD-ROM games), so send in those suggestions!  Ninja Spirit and Cho Aniki have already had two chances, so I'm not sure whether I'll include them or not.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »
The next console-specific poll will be for TurboGrafx-16 (including CD-ROM games), so send in those suggestions!

Any of the Bonk games would be good.  It would be fun to compare them to Mario and Sonic.  I'm not sure which one is considered "the best" but I'd go with that one.

Chew Man Fu is supposed to be a pretty interesting puzzle game.  Although I guarantee it won't win because it has a stupid name.

Ys Books I & II are probably the best known TG-16 games.  Although having just played Secret of Mana it may be too soon for another RPG.

Any shump that's not Lords of Thunder would be a fine choice.  (You guys have already discussed Lords of Thunder at great length.)  R-Type would be interesting. 

Ninja Spirit and Cho Aniki have already had two chances, so I'm not sure whether I'll include them or not.

But since they're arguable some of the best games available for the system (supposedly, I haven't played either myself) I don't see any harm in adding them again!

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
I was going to nominate Ninja Spirit since I plan on getting that game anyway.  But if you want something different I'm going to go with Military Madness.  I've already been burned twice with randomly buying TG-16 games (Bonk's Adventure and Neutopia), but the Advance Wars comparisons keep me interested.  There are a lot of great schmups on the TG-16 that I want to get, but I already have a bit of a backlog of those types of games. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
I think a WiiWare sequel to Military Madness is in the works.

Ninja Spirit was already in a previous poll and lost :( hopefully you'll help our cause next time it appears in the poll.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
Super Star Solider and Bomberman '93 are my nominations for TG16. Yes they are launch games for the VC, but they were great ones. SSS is one of the best scrolling shooters I have played (although it's not a genre that needs more games on the VC as there are a few dozen). I admit I am picking the first Bonk because I own it. It's a decent platformer and a IP I would love to see revived.

I also pick Cho Aniki. It only barely lost the last poll and only did so because the winner got a last minute surge. If I had to though, I would go with SSS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
I'd like to include a Bonk game in the TG-16 poll, but there are a few on VC.  Those who have played more than one, which do you think is best?  I've only played the GameCube remake of the first Bonk.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!